Thread: WPT Voyage on Virgin Cruise line

Load Metric

WPT Voyage on Virgin Cruise line

Looks interesting and apparently set sail from Miami recently seeing it on Twitter quite a bit

https://twitter.com/WPT/status/1774658888941363203

Load Metric
    a cruise for virgins?

on what boat, the USS Conservative?
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    https://twitter.com/WPT/status/1774839194524770585

Looks like a fun Cruise but you can burn some cash on a Poker Cruise

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Sorry but this seems awful.

This has some similarities to the legendary 2006 Party Poker cruise, which I was fortunate enough to attend, but it seems like it has none of the same charm and degenerate grittiness.

Nothing against WPT or the cruise itself here. It just 18 years later, and so much has changed about the poker and society in general. This thing kind of has the look of Poker Twitter But On a Boat. No thanks. At no point was I sorry I didn't book this.

You might ask, "If you feel this way, Druff, why do you go to WSOP each year?"

WSOP is a much bigger event, and it's on land. I'm not trapped with anyone. Other than at the events themselves -- where my purpose is to win much more than to socialize -- I can go where I want and see whomever I want. At WSOP everyone is available to be found, but you can spend as much or as little time as you want with and around them. A cruise is different.

If I got a seat for free, sure I'd go just for the value, but otherwise you'll never catch me on something like this.

Comments

JeffDime: Agree

Load Metric
    also wsop cash games are like a literal global event, perhaps more so than the actual bracelet events.

this feels like the opposite somehow.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Sorry but this seems awful.

This has some similarities to the legendary 2006 Party Poker cruise, which I was fortunate enough to attend, but it seems like it has none of the same charm and degenerate grittiness.

Nothing against WPT or the cruise itself here. It just 18 years later, and so much has changed about the poker and society in general. This thing kind of has the look of Poker Twitter But On a Boat. No thanks. At no point was I sorry I didn't book this.

You might ask, "If you feel this way, Druff, why do you go to WSOP each year?"

WSOP is a much bigger event, and it's on land. I'm not trapped with anyone. Other than at the events themselves -- where my purpose is to win much more than to socialize -- I can go where I want and see whomever I want. At WSOP everyone is available to be found, but you can spend as much or as little time as you want with and around them. A cruise is different.

If I got a seat for free, sure I'd go just for the value, but otherwise you'll never catch me on something like this.

Load Metric

Comments

Pablo:

Load Metric
    Looks pretty fun and degenerate by the end some people probably want to get home

Probably some funny degens and characters on a cruise like this which if not careful could be expensive

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post
    Looks pretty fun and degenerate by the end some people probably want to get home

Probably some funny degens and characters on a cruise like this which if not careful could be expensive
    You can’t go by the the social media posts put out by WPT to gauge how well their cruise is doing. The idea was pretty good. Get all these poker “influencers” on cruise and in turn get a portion of their following…then rake the ever little shit out of everyone for a week. The packages were relatively expensive from what I hear.

As most gamblers who have gone through some major -EV streaks I have been invited on at least a dozen free cruises. When I had platinum at the Cosmo they would offer me a trip for two with alcohol included. I never did it. Even when I was young(ish).

I just love having the freedom…and even a boat as big as a cruise ship you certainly are stuck. I would love to go to the Caymans again though. I went as a kid multiple times. But I agree with Druff. I want my freedom. I’ve always been a beach guy and not a boat guy.

They did get Rob Yong on this thing. I saw his video by the pool and I am willing to bet they gave free cruises out to a bunch of attractive women (smart). I would love to know how much the nut was for this ship and how much they ended up making. A lot of these “influencers” are getting it free. If I had to guess this will be more of a PR success rather than a financial one.

Watch…next year they try to make more money and the cruise is has a higher male/female ratio than the movie Boat Trip.

Name:  IMG_0429.jpeg
Views: 213
Size:  90.3 KB

Of course there are plenty of people having a great time. But my heart goes out to those struggling in their cabins with a week long stomach ache and/or hangover.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    You go, sit down, order food and they bring it to you. Amazing concept. They should try that on the mainland.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    JRB was a big figure on the 2006 Party Poker cruise, and many of the degenerate stories from there revolved around him in some way.

So him being there is definitely a plus, though today's version of him is a rich, low-energy 54-year-old edition, rather than the raucous, perpetually broke 30s version we had in '06.

I can tell you that the below scene WOULD NOT have occurred on the 2006 voyage:

https://twitter.com/SavagePoker/status/1775772396286275774

Load Metric

why is that? i must be missing something?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post

Nerd sausage fest no women

Comments

Tellafriend:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post

Correct, but at least the sausage fest produced a lot of crazy moments because almost nobody was distracted by hitting on girls.

JRB got the only single girl on the entire boat -- an 18-year-old former female bodybuilder whose career fell apart due to an auto accident which hurt her back, and her dad took her on the cruise to get her mind off her depression. So of course JRB talked his way into fucking her (in neverwin's room, no less).

Well, actually there was one other single female, but she was really really weird. It was a chick around 40 who seemed kinda "off". Micon and his friend (I forget who -- some guy he knew from Atlanta) smoked pot with her on the first night. Before I saw her, I asked Micon if he or the guy hooked up with her, and Micon made a face like I just grossed him out. But that didn't stop her from drifting around the cruise and fucking some young guys there anyway. I played a little time with her in a cash game and she was really difficult to talk to. Couldn't really hold a coherent conversation.

There were some girls onboard but they were all there with boyfriends. I brought Miri, so I didn't give a shit that it was a sausage fest.

This cruise also produced the Neverwin/Chantel romance. They met each other onboard, even though she was there with her boyfriend (I think Dustin Sitar) and Neverwin was with his fiance. They fucked around a little bit behind their respective partners' backs, but the full romance (and subsequent dumping of their partners) didn't occur until a few weeks later. When I was asked to announce their new relationship on NWP, I sanitized the story a bit for their sake, cutting out the part that they fucked around on the cruise.

Comments

Tellafriend:

Load Metric

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post

Thread Information