Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: INVESTING- Stocks, mutual funds and IRAs

Load Metric

Arrow INVESTING- Stocks, mutual funds and IRAs

*** Please no thread crapping here, let this be a legit and beneficial thread to share information.

I am a very small time investor. I use Fidelity for myself and E*Trade for a family member. I am in several mutual funds, several stocks, a Roth IRA and 1 money market fund. I like to share information, opinions and see what others like and are into. In the past, I have received some pretty good investing advice from complete strangers online and its been working well for me ever since.

Can you please share what you like and have vs some of the funds you dont like in posts below?

Side note- I have been trying to get Dan Druff into investing over the last 1-2 years. Why- the guy is a mathematical genius and if he can evaluate, plan and execute on the poker scene, he should be able to use those same skills in the market and have some good recommendations. Come on Druff, if you can talk poker for 5-8 hours straight, you can deep dive into investing and growing your money. When Druff talks, people listen."

Anyways brothers, please post up what you can below and make it educational.

Thanks

Load Metric

Comments

desertrunner: Fucking moron, I asked for no crapping.

Sheesfaced: Offset

Sanlmar: the judges are going to allow this
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrunner View Post
    *** Please no thread crapping here, let this be a legit and beneficial thread to share information.

I am a very small time investor. I use Fidelity for myself and E*Trade for a family member. I am in several mutual funds, several stocks, a Roth IRA and 1 money market fund. I like to share information, opinions and see what others like and are into. In the past, I have received some pretty good investing advice from complete strangers online and its been working well for me ever since.

Can you please share what you like and have vs some of the funds you dont like in posts below?

Side note- I have been trying to get Dan Druff into investing over the last 1-2 years. Why- the guy is a mathematical genius and if he can evaluate, plan and execute on the poker scene, he should be able to use those same skills in the market and have some good recommendations. Come on Druff, if you can talk poker for 5-8 hours straight, you can deep dive into investing and growing your money. When Druff talks, people listen."

Anyways brothers, please post up what you can below and make it educational.

Thanks
    If you want the best advice just do whatever Sanlmar says. I own NVDA because of him and have done very well with it. I'm planning to own this for a long time.

If you want a speculative play buy Coinbase. I have confidence its going higher in the short term.

In any portfolio there should be some energy stocks, no? I've owned XLE for something like 20 years.

I recently also bought JPST and JEPI for the dividends. Someone else recommended JEPI (was that you?) and I liked the fund so I went with it.

Comments

desertrunner: Good info.

Load Metric
    My current thoughts and trends-

- I really like Sunoco (SUN) gasoline company.

- I am watching PG&E (energy) in California closely as they are going to raise their rates soon. I just bought some of their stock.

- I would like feedback on Chevron (CVX) company. Their dividend is about 4.15%. Anyone like this company?

I am not a big fan of Tesla, Apple, Microsoft stocks, even though they are performing well, I just cant get into them. My mutual funds are invested in them, so I'm covered there.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by country978 View Post

In any portfolio there should be some energy stocks, no? I've owned XLE for something like 20 years.
    Interesting, but I dont see a dividend.

I recently also bought JPST and JEPI for the dividends. Someone else recommended JEPI (was that you?) and I liked the fund so I went with it.
    I will look into these now.

Gold
    Load Metric
    My current thoughts and trends-

- I really like Sunoco (SUN) gasoline company.

- I am watching PG&E (energy) in California closely as they are going to raise their rates soon. I just bought some of their stock.

- I would like feedback on Chevron (CVX) company. Their dividend is about 4.15%. Anyone like this company?

I am not a big fan of Tesla, Apple, Microsoft stocks, even though they are performing well, I just cant get into them. My mutual funds are invested in them, so I'm covered there.
    Barrons is bullish on CVX. What's not to like about a super major paying 4+%?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by country978 View Post

Barrons is bullish on CVX. What's not to like about a super major paying 4+%?
    Im seeing Sonoco (SUN) paying 6.5% so staying with them. ExxonMobil and Chevron are trailing Sonoco, so there I sit. I have been an XOM fan for a long time, but switched up to SUN.

Add- Druff and I have a friend at Marathon Gas in So Cal and he's done very well with that stock. I just dont know much about them.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Interesting, but I dont see a dividend.

I will look into these now.
    XLE pays 3.56% as of now and has always paid them.

I like JP Morgan. I have family working there in New York and that is how I became familiar with JPST. I'd thought it was you who suggested the JEPI but it was someone on pfa.

Load Metric
    I was planning on investing in a good flashlight. Got any reco's?
    En boca cerrada, no entran moscas

Load Metric
    “Elon Tusk is God” is the investing thread.

The vein in my forehead is throbbing desertrunner.

Comments

gauchojake: Thank you.

Load Metric
    this seems more suited to your intellectual capabilities desertrunner

"Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Since you don’t want any crapping on this thread, let’s hope Karen Nathan doesn’t show up.

Anyways I suggest Vanguard over Fidelity daily. Their fees are much lower and the performance is up there with the best over the past 40+ years.

And in most cases you are still better with a basic low cost (like Vanguard) S&P 500 fund than picking individual stocks or even funds.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I was looking at my companies mutual fund options through Fidelity and I hate them, there is no way to really hedge at all other than sticking money into the money market and wait for the inevitable correction which I’d mistime anyhow.

So you just keep shoveling it in and it takes 5 years to make up for a crappy year.

Load Metric
    Add- I think everyone should have a Roth IRA. You can contribute up to 7k a year and have to hold atleast 5 years, but then at age 59.5, you can start collecting dividends or payment TAX FREE. Its the last real tax shelter you have against the Dems.

Load Metric
    Invest in your health. M

And other forums.

Comments

Sanlmar: wisdom

Load Metric
    One mutual fund I’ve been following since 1997 is T. Rowe Price Value fund. Been a boring but consistent winner.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Add- I think everyone should have a Roth IRA. You can contribute up to 7k a year and have to hold atleast 5 years, but then at age 59.5, you can start collecting dividends or payment TAX FREE. Its the last real tax shelter you have against the Dems.
    The cognitive dissonance here is a sight to behold. Where to begin?

First off, for many college educated career oriented folks they make too much money to be allowed to contribute to a Roth IRA. So your premise is asinine Personally, while I find it annoying I consider it a proverbial “good problem”.

Second, for people who are actually considered high net worth or high income there are still plenty of “tax shelters” available to them both in terms of reducing annual taxes but especially for those that have a projected taxable estate. Being self-employed allows for several tax write offs as well as much higher employee retirement plan contribution limits. Think $66,000 instead of $7,000. There are also things like Donor-Advised-Funds and Family Foundations; the latter of which you can pay family members salaries from tax deductible donations/contributions. Grantor-Retained-Annuity-Trusts are still legal (for now) and are fantastic ways to pass assets outside of an estate tax free. So are closely held businesses that receive a lack of liquidity discount. 529s allow for a special five year lump sum contribution of the annual gift exclusion whereby a couple can contribute $170,000 to a grandchild’s 529 account thereby skipping two generations of potential estate taxes. And congress passed a law allowing for excess money to be contributed to the beneficiaries Roth IRA you’re so fond of down the road as well.

I could go on but let me stop there and address my third point to highlight where the cognitive dissonance lies.

You see people that are worried about democrats, liberals, congress, whomever taking away tax shelters make too much money to contribute to a Roth IRA in the first place. And for people such as yourself they’ve actually been given more tax breaks such as doubling the standard deduction amount.

There are plenty of reasons to legit worry about tax breaks going away as the estate tax exemption is set to sunset soon and things like GRATs and closely held business discounts going away have been on the table.

I think this thread should be retitled “investing for poors” and the Elon Tusk thread should remain as is.

Comments

The Boz: Let’s face it, most of the discussion here is White Trash type stuff.

Sanlmar: tax savings on $7k for the win lulz

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheesfaced View Post
    The cognitive dissonance here is a sight to behold. Where to begin?

First off, for many college educated career oriented folks they make too much money to be allowed to contribute to a Roth IRA. So your premise is asinine Personally, while I find it annoying I consider it a proverbial “good problem”.

Second, for people who are actually considered high net worth or high income there are still plenty of “tax shelters” available to them both in terms of reducing annual taxes but especially for those that have a projected taxable estate. Being self-employed allows for several tax write offs as well as much higher employee retirement plan contribution limits. Think $66,000 instead of $7,000. There are also things like Donor-Advised-Funds and Family Foundations; the latter of which you can pay family members salaries from tax deductible donations/contributions. Grantor-Retained-Annuity-Trusts are still legal (for now) and are fantastic ways to pass assets outside of an estate tax free. So are closely held businesses that receive a lack of liquidity discount. 529s allow for a special five year lump sum contribution of the annual gift exclusion whereby a couple can contribute $170,000 to a grandchild’s 529 account thereby skipping two generations of potential estate taxes. And congress passed a law allowing for excess money to be contributed to the beneficiaries Roth IRA you’re so fond of down the road as well.

I could go on but let me stop there and address my third point to highlight where the cognitive dissonance lies.

You see people that are worried about democrats, liberals, congress, whomever taking away tax shelters make too much money to contribute to a Roth IRA in the first place. And for people such as yourself they’ve actually been given more tax breaks such as doubling the standard deduction amount.

There are plenty of reasons to legit worry about tax breaks going away as the estate tax exemption is set to sunset soon and things like GRATs and closely held business discounts going away have been on the table.

I think this thread should be retitled “investing for poors” and the Elon Tusk thread should remain as is.

This.

Basically buddy stick to your Denny’s, Chuck E. Cheese, Olive Garden, sub shop threads. That’s your wheelhouse.

Or… ask yourself before starting another retarded thread……would Sanlmar, Tyde, Jayjami, Sonatine, (insert forum vet), start this?

Or even better, don’t start any & try commenting on existing threads for a bit. See how that goes.

Comments

Sheesfaced:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simply1 View Post
    This.

Basically buddy stick to your Denny’s, Chuck E. Cheese, Olive Garden, sub shop threads. That’s your wheelhouse.

Or… ask yourself before starting another retarded thread……would Sanlmar, Tyde, Jayjami, Sonatine, (insert forum vet), start this?

Or even better, don’t start any & try commenting on existing threads for a bit. See how that goes.
    Dude, seriously STFU, I’m sure I know more on the topic than you or the other clown.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simply1 View Post
    This.

Dude, seriously STFU, I’m sure I know more on the topic than you or the other clown.
    Haha add Dunning-Kruger to cognitive dissonance then. There’s plenty of topics where you know much more than I do (flashlights, pedophilia) but I can assure you I know more about investing and minimizing taxes for the wealthy. I do this for a living buddy.

Thread Information