Thread: 2020 Late Night TV is a travesty

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric

2020 Late Night TV is a travesty

"Hey writer Dina, you know what would be really hilarious?"

"What, Seth?"

"How about we have a pre-written, really unfunny conversation about how sexy Kamala Harris' husband is, you know.. because he's older and Jewish?"

"Oh that sounds hilarious, Seth! I can write it for you, but just to let you know, I can't act."

"That's okay. You can't write, either, and we still keep you on staff. But since you're Jewish, can you throw in a lot of offensive stereotypes about shallow Jewish women, since it's okay to insult your people now?"

"Sure thing, Seth. I'll get right on it!"

"Okay, just make sure to keep it humor-free!"

"Will do!"

(Read the comments for this video, too. Seth just getting destroyed.)

Comments

Jayjami: All those late night guys suck

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    "Hey, aren't you guys happy that Biden won?"

"Yeah, these are truly happy days!"

"Wait!! I have an idea! Let's do a Happy Days theme song parody about Biden winning!"

"James, that's great! But I'm kinda drawing a blank regarding clever lines to put into the song."

"Don't worry, you don't need any! Just keep writing how happy we are that Biden won, and make it sorta rhyme."

"James, I don't think that's going to be enough to impress our audience."

"Of course it will! It bashes Trump and is a nostalgic reference to their childhood! Guaranteed winner no matter how unfunny or lame it actually is!"

"I don't know... I think we need a bit more than that."

"Wait, I got it! Henry Winkler isn't working much these days. Let's feature him because, you know, he's the Fonz. And he can play a really whiny, annoying version of himself."

"Oh that would be hilarious!! But wait, I think I can get props to make a Fauci pillow for the background. You know, like it's just sitting in Henry's house, and we won't even say anything about it. Imagine how much that will own those stupid MAGAts who hate him so much."

"Brilliant! Let's do it!!"

Comments

MumblesBadly: Dude, up your Xanax dosage. You’re starting to get triggered over Biden’s win in the weirdest way.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    "Hey writer Dana, you know what would be really hilarious?"

"What, Seth?"

"How about we have a pre-written, really unfunny conversation about how sexy Kamala Harris' husband is, you know.. because he's older and Jewish?"

"Oh that sounds hilarious, Seth! I can write it for you, but just to let you know, I can't act."

"That's okay. You can't write, either, and we still keep you on staff. But since you're Jewish, can you throw in a lot of offensive stereotypes about shallow Jewish women, since it's okay to insult your people now?"

"Will do!"

Druff, thanks for sharing this clip. I started laughing about 2/3rds of the way into the skit when the chick started gushing over an obviously less-than-attractive-but-very-successful older guy. Oh, and if you missed the huge volume of Woody Allen’s early humor, as well as Don Rickles’ and Mel Blank’s, Jewish comedians and comedy writers have been openly making fun of their fellow Jews for generations.

Comments

OSA: Mel Blank? lol gtfo
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Mumbles, that bit was awful, and nothing about it was funny.

The acting was also worse than you'd find in a elementary school play. Mind-bogglingly bad. This chick is no Woody Allen.

Unfortunately it's heresy in comedy to insult prominent Democrats (especially ones in power), so we will have to endure 4 years of this unfunny tripe.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    "Hey writer Dana, you know what would be really hilarious?"

"What, Seth?"

"Will do!"

That clip was horrible. Not funny at all.
    It made no sense and who cares?

I know you are sensitive to what appears to be a collective attack
    on conservatism by comedians/late night hosts. And of course this blew up with Trump.
    These late night writers should be taken to task for picking the low hanging fruit.

Going forward I expect the same writers to do their job which is to poke their fun
    at the powers that be. An unwritten rule for comedians is to punch up.
    Meaning you don't take on the homeless or underprivileged. The top dog takes the heat.

A lot of benefits come from being a majority but scrutiny is the other side of the coin.
    Same goes for news outlets. Checks and balances

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Actually, les, if the attacks on Trump or conservatives were funny, I'd give them some credit. Still really lame to be afraid to attack their own side (it didn't used to be like this), but if you're going to only bash Republicans, at least be funny when you do it.

These two clips were just plain awful. They were poorly written, poorly acted, and shockingly bad given the budget they're working with. It's not like a YouTuber putting out lame content. Here there were like 50 writers and editors involved, and this was the final product. Dreadful.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Actually, les, if the attacks on Trump or conservatives were funny, I'd give them some credit. Still really lame to be afraid to attack their own side (it didn't used to be like this), but if you're going to only bash Republicans, at least be funny when you do it.

These two clips were just plain awful. They were poorly written, poorly acted, and shockingly bad given the budget they're working with. It's not like a YouTuber putting out lame content. Here there were like 50 writers and editors involved, and this was the final product. Dreadful.
    I understand that conservatives were unfairly lumped into the Trump vitriol. It's never been so extreme. Trump raised a lot of emotions, pro and con. Consider that the two presidential candidates received the most votes ever. Trump came in second by the way.

It's been a wild ride but conservatism has nothing to worry about in the U.S. of A.

Load Metric
    Yep, late night TV sucks balls.

Load Metric
    They are puppets to the media driven agenda.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Puts His Dick in the Mashed Potatoes
    Load Metric

It's kinda hard to make fun of the GOP right now because your party is presently a combination of idiotic and dangerous. Comedians are stuck between making fun of the obvious and making light of something that's approaching a death cult. Neither really works in terms of humor. But if yall dial back the cray cray a notch or three, then the funny will happen.

Comments

Sanlmar: on point

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by rum dick View Post

It's kinda hard to make fun of the GOP right now because your party is presently a combination of idiotic and dangerous. Comedians are stuck between making fun of the obvious and making light of something that's approaching a death cult. Neither really works in terms of humor. But if yall dial back the cray cray a notch or three, then the funny will happen.

All they're doing is making fun of the GOP. And I'm fine with that.

My issue comes from the fact that they're terrified to make fun of the Democrats, unless it's in a really gentle, softshoeing manner to where nobody will be offended or actually think anything bad about them.

Comedy didn't used to be like this. Not too long ago, it wasn't even that easy to figure out the political persuasion of comedians, because they went after everyone wherever they saw a joke.

Nowadays, the thought is, "We can't make fun of a Democrat beyond anything very light, because people might take it seriously and decide these are real flaws we're mocking, and decide to vote Republican!"

That plus the overt politicization to where it's 1000% clear what side they're on, as if they're rooting for the home team. Not only isn't it funny (as evidenced by the clips I posted in the OP), but it's obnoxious to watch.

Can't we just bring regular comedy back, instead of this virtue signaling nonsense?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by rum dick View Post

All they're doing is making fun of the GOP. And I'm fine with that.

My issue comes from the fact that they're terrified to make fun of the Democrats, unless it's in a really gentle, softshoeing manner to where nobody will be offended or actually think anything bad about them.

Comedy didn't used to be like this. Not too long ago, it wasn't even that easy to figure out the political persuasion of comedians, because they went after everyone wherever they saw a joke.

Nowadays, the thought is, "We can't make fun of a Democrat beyond anything very light, because people might take it seriously and decide these are real flaws we're mocking, and decide to vote Republican!"

That plus the overt politicization to where it's 1000% clear what side they're on, as if they're rooting for the home team. Not only isn't it funny (as evidenced by the clips I posted in the OP), but it's obnoxious to watch.

Can't we just bring regular comedy back, instead of this virtue signaling nonsense?
    Highlight #1. You're right, but nothing has been the same these last four years.
    Highlight #2 You're wrong. Suggesting jokes or sketches will drive people to abandon
    political ideologies is ludicrous. If this were true beyond a statistical possibility Trump
    would have been obliterated.

Thread Information