Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Late Night TV is a travesty

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

2020 Late Night TV is a travesty

"Hey writer Dina, you know what would be really hilarious?"

"What, Seth?"

"How about we have a pre-written, really unfunny conversation about how sexy Kamala Harris' husband is, you know.. because he's older and Jewish?"

"Oh that sounds hilarious, Seth! I can write it for you, but just to let you know, I can't act."

"That's okay. You can't write, either, and we still keep you on staff. But since you're Jewish, can you throw in a lot of offensive stereotypes about shallow Jewish women, since it's okay to insult your people now?"

"Sure thing, Seth. I'll get right on it!"

"Okay, just make sure to keep it humor-free!"

"Will do!"

(Read the comments for this video, too. Seth just getting destroyed.)

Comments

Jayjami: All those late night guys suck

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    "Hey, aren't you guys happy that Biden won?"

"Yeah, these are truly happy days!"

"Wait!! I have an idea! Let's do a Happy Days theme song parody about Biden winning!"

"James, that's great! But I'm kinda drawing a blank regarding clever lines to put into the song."

"Don't worry, you don't need any! Just keep writing how happy we are that Biden won, and make it sorta rhyme."

"James, I don't think that's going to be enough to impress our audience."

"Of course it will! It bashes Trump and is a nostalgic reference to their childhood! Guaranteed winner no matter how unfunny or lame it actually is!"

"I don't know... I think we need a bit more than that."

"Wait, I got it! Henry Winkler isn't working much these days. Let's feature him because, you know, he's the Fonz. And he can play a really whiny, annoying version of himself."

"Oh that would be hilarious!! But wait, I think I can get props to make a Fauci pillow for the background. You know, like it's just sitting in Henry's house, and we won't even say anything about it. Imagine how much that will own those stupid MAGAts who hate him so much."

"Brilliant! Let's do it!!"

Comments

MumblesBadly: Dude, up your Xanax dosage. You’re starting to get triggered over Biden’s win in the weirdest way.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    "Hey writer Dana, you know what would be really hilarious?"

"What, Seth?"

"How about we have a pre-written, really unfunny conversation about how sexy Kamala Harris' husband is, you know.. because he's older and Jewish?"

"Oh that sounds hilarious, Seth! I can write it for you, but just to let you know, I can't act."

"That's okay. You can't write, either, and we still keep you on staff. But since you're Jewish, can you throw in a lot of offensive stereotypes about shallow Jewish women, since it's okay to insult your people now?"

"Will do!"

Druff, thanks for sharing this clip. I started laughing about 2/3rds of the way into the skit when the chick started gushing over an obviously less-than-attractive-but-very-successful older guy. Oh, and if you missed the huge volume of Woody Allen’s early humor, as well as Don Rickles’ and Mel Blank’s, Jewish comedians and comedy writers have been openly making fun of their fellow Jews for generations.

Comments

OSA: Mel Blank? lol gtfo
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Mumbles, that bit was awful, and nothing about it was funny.

The acting was also worse than you'd find in a elementary school play. Mind-bogglingly bad. This chick is no Woody Allen.

Unfortunately it's heresy in comedy to insult prominent Democrats (especially ones in power), so we will have to endure 4 years of this unfunny tripe.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    "Hey writer Dana, you know what would be really hilarious?"

"What, Seth?"

"Will do!"

That clip was horrible. Not funny at all.
    It made no sense and who cares?

I know you are sensitive to what appears to be a collective attack
    on conservatism by comedians/late night hosts. And of course this blew up with Trump.
    These late night writers should be taken to task for picking the low hanging fruit.

Going forward I expect the same writers to do their job which is to poke their fun
    at the powers that be. An unwritten rule for comedians is to punch up.
    Meaning you don't take on the homeless or underprivileged. The top dog takes the heat.

A lot of benefits come from being a majority but scrutiny is the other side of the coin.
    Same goes for news outlets. Checks and balances

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Actually, les, if the attacks on Trump or conservatives were funny, I'd give them some credit. Still really lame to be afraid to attack their own side (it didn't used to be like this), but if you're going to only bash Republicans, at least be funny when you do it.

These two clips were just plain awful. They were poorly written, poorly acted, and shockingly bad given the budget they're working with. It's not like a YouTuber putting out lame content. Here there were like 50 writers and editors involved, and this was the final product. Dreadful.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Actually, les, if the attacks on Trump or conservatives were funny, I'd give them some credit. Still really lame to be afraid to attack their own side (it didn't used to be like this), but if you're going to only bash Republicans, at least be funny when you do it.

These two clips were just plain awful. They were poorly written, poorly acted, and shockingly bad given the budget they're working with. It's not like a YouTuber putting out lame content. Here there were like 50 writers and editors involved, and this was the final product. Dreadful.
    I understand that conservatives were unfairly lumped into the Trump vitriol. It's never been so extreme. Trump raised a lot of emotions, pro and con. Consider that the two presidential candidates received the most votes ever. Trump came in second by the way.

It's been a wild ride but conservatism has nothing to worry about in the U.S. of A.

Load Metric
    Yep, late night TV sucks balls.

Load Metric
    They are puppets to the media driven agenda.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric
    Jim Carey does a great Joe Biden.

Load Metric
    The TV has stuff on late at night?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    Jim Carey does a great Joe Biden.

Boy the writing for this skit was terrible. Almost the entire 8 minutes was joke-free, and was mainly a victory lap being taken by fake CNN, fake Biden, and fake Harris. Huh???

What is that audience even cheering for? They realize this is a skit, right? And that this is supposed to be a comedy show, right?

It's like the writers, actors, and audience members still have TDS even though Biden won.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    Yeah but you can't bet on it.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    Yeah but you can't bet on it.
    Explains why I haven’t seen it.

Load Metric
    Haven’t watched SNL for what seems like decades or Late Night Shows since Letterman retired. I don’t even have the courage to click on SNL YouTube clips. So unfunny.

This Johnny Carson biography written by his lawyer was great. Carson was pretty antisocial and quite the dick irl. Carson’s mom crippled him for life. Great stuff.

Load Metric
    Who watches network TV?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    Who watches network TV?

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Before Covid the shows were mostly shit

Now...total shit, unwatchable.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Texter View Post
    Before Covid the shows were mostly shit

Now...total shit, unwatchable.
    I agree that COVID makes it a lot harder for them, since they can't play off the audience.

But it's not just that. The writers feel under increasing pressure not to offend the woke crowd, not to insult Democratic politicians, and to bash Republicans. That's a lot of requirements one must adhere to when writing comedy sketches and jokes!

Comedy is best when the writers/comedians are not afraid of offending anyone, and can simply do their thing without micromanagement or guidelines regarding what they should or shouldn't say.

I'm of the belief that they SHOULD bash Trump and Republicans if there's a good joke/skit to make out of it, but they also should do the same for Democrats when the same opportunity comes up. But of course, they won't.

There's also huge demographics which can't be joked about now, nor can you even make fun of certain woke ideologies, like SJW college students, because these are super duper serious causes which must not be mocked. You can't even make fat jokes anymore.

Dave Chapelle only gets away with his type of comedy because he's black (and not conservative), so they're not sure what to do about him.

Load Metric
    Late night shows are awful and have been since Letterman retired.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Thread Information