Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2020 Late Night TV is a travesty

Load Metric

Puts His Dick in the Mashed Potatoes
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Actually, les, if the attacks on Trump or conservatives were funny, I'd give them some credit. Still really lame to be afraid to attack their own side (it didn't used to be like this), but if you're going to only bash Republicans, at least be funny when you do it.

These two clips were just plain awful. They were poorly written, poorly acted, and shockingly bad given the budget they're working with. It's not like a YouTuber putting out lame content. Here there were like 50 writers and editors involved, and this was the final product. Dreadful.

It's kinda hard to make fun of the GOP right now because your party is presently a combination of idiotic and dangerous. Comedians are stuck between making fun of the obvious and making light of something that's approaching a death cult. Neither really works in terms of humor. But if yall dial back the cray cray a notch or three, then the funny will happen.

Comments

Sanlmar: on point

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by rum dick View Post
    Actually, les, if the attacks on Trump or conservatives were funny, I'd give them some credit. Still really lame to be afraid to attack their own side (it didn't used to be like this), but if you're going to only bash Republicans, at least be funny when you do it.

These two clips were just plain awful. They were poorly written, poorly acted, and shockingly bad given the budget they're working with. It's not like a YouTuber putting out lame content. Here there were like 50 writers and editors involved, and this was the final product. Dreadful.

It's kinda hard to make fun of the GOP right now because your party is presently a combination of idiotic and dangerous. Comedians are stuck between making fun of the obvious and making light of something that's approaching a death cult. Neither really works in terms of humor. But if yall dial back the cray cray a notch or three, then the funny will happen.

All they're doing is making fun of the GOP. And I'm fine with that.

My issue comes from the fact that they're terrified to make fun of the Democrats, unless it's in a really gentle, softshoeing manner to where nobody will be offended or actually think anything bad about them.

Comedy didn't used to be like this. Not too long ago, it wasn't even that easy to figure out the political persuasion of comedians, because they went after everyone wherever they saw a joke.

Nowadays, the thought is, "We can't make fun of a Democrat beyond anything very light, because people might take it seriously and decide these are real flaws we're mocking, and decide to vote Republican!"

That plus the overt politicization to where it's 1000% clear what side they're on, as if they're rooting for the home team. Not only isn't it funny (as evidenced by the clips I posted in the OP), but it's obnoxious to watch.

Can't we just bring regular comedy back, instead of this virtue signaling nonsense?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by rum dick View Post

All they're doing is making fun of the GOP. And I'm fine with that.

My issue comes from the fact that they're terrified to make fun of the Democrats, unless it's in a really gentle, softshoeing manner to where nobody will be offended or actually think anything bad about them.

Comedy didn't used to be like this. Not too long ago, it wasn't even that easy to figure out the political persuasion of comedians, because they went after everyone wherever they saw a joke.

Nowadays, the thought is, "We can't make fun of a Democrat beyond anything very light, because people might take it seriously and decide these are real flaws we're mocking, and decide to vote Republican!"

That plus the overt politicization to where it's 1000% clear what side they're on, as if they're rooting for the home team. Not only isn't it funny (as evidenced by the clips I posted in the OP), but it's obnoxious to watch.

Can't we just bring regular comedy back, instead of this virtue signaling nonsense?
    Highlight #1. You're right, but nothing has been the same these last four years.
    Highlight #2 You're wrong. Suggesting jokes or sketches will drive people to abandon
    political ideologies is ludicrous. If this were true beyond a statistical possibility Trump
    would have been obliterated.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

2021 is no better.

This is supposed to be funny because.... ummmm.... some people won't get the vaccine?

They really can't find better writers for all the money they pay?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

2021 is no better.

This is supposed to be funny because.... ummmm.... some people won't get the vaccine?

They really can't find better writers for all the money they pay?
    This is definitely not late night TV but I'd be interested if you find this clip funny?

Thread Information