Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who had Tony Hsieh in their deathpool?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    i hesitate to say this because fuck man what a shitty way to die, but building codes are pretty straight forward when it comes to homes having egress points in case of fire pretty much everywhere.

again im not trying to cast any shade here but that explanation seems to be designed to save face here.
    I just assume there is something more to the story with situations like this. I didn’t know much about him other than he’s eccentric, but it’s hard to die in a fire as an able bodied adult when you only have to save yourself. I didn’t see mention of others.

From what I saw, inhalation or whatever, I just assume it’s a lot easier to nod out on drugs with a candle lit, or pass out drunk with something lit, as opposed to being trapped in a fire so bad that you can’t get out some way. It’s possible, but something strange seems far more probable.

this is exactly my starting point for theories here. not looking to speak ill of the dead here as its pretty much out there that he had some demons but yeah, id be surprised if this was really just a horrible accident.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    jace true or super true how many times were you called a semen demon for the amount of penises you were sucking while in san fran in the 90s

Load Metric
    cuz i heard it was allllllllllllllotttttt like you invented using pronouns to feel woke

Comments

rum dick: Lol

Load Metric
    EXCLUSIVE: Listen as firefighters describe Tony Hsieh being 'barricaded' inside shed during house fire before the 'unresponsive' Zappos CEO was pulled out from blaze in new dispatch tape

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ouse-fire.html

Load Metric
    EXCLUSIVE: Colleagues of Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh fear his addiction to nitrous oxide whippets, burning candles and Grey Goose vodka could be behind explosion that led to his death - as it's revealed he was 'barricaded' in a shed when blaze broke out

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ouse-fire.html

Candles and Nitrous Oxide don't mix well.

R.I.P.

Gold
    Load Metric
    There's an old rule about burns and age. Basically you take the percentage of your body affected by 3rd degree or worse burns, and add that to your age. If you hit 140 or more, you're pretty much dead. Baux score it's called.

Weird flex. Fucky way to go out.

Comments

shoeshine box: Dated a Nurse at NY Hosp Burn Unit...ughhhhh
    shit·show
    /ˈSHit ˌSHō/
    noun
    1) a situation or event marked by chaos or controversy. 2) This site.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenchjockey View Post
    There's an old rule about burns and age. Basically you take the percentage of your body affected by 3rd degree or worse burns, and add that to your age. If you hit 140 or more, you're pretty much dead. Baux score it's called.

Weird flex. Fucky way to go out.
    Damn, 140. that’s a little too high for me. I don’t like the idea of surviving some 3rd degree on over 85% of my body accident. I’d like to know how to lower my Baux score down to about 80.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Daily Mail delivers again. They really give no shits and just print everything.

According to the last article X-Factor posted, Tony was a drug addict and alcoholic, who was obsessed with nitrous oxide and candles.

Some of you old-schoolers might remember when neverwin was going through his whippet phase, and was doing them on radio, making a repeatedly annoying sound. Micon was too high to care. I was super close to hanging up and quitting the show for the night, but he finally stopped after I told them I was seriously about to be done. Good times.

Apparently he also lived in an Airstream trailer, despite having like $840 million.

The current working theory is that he passed out from too much nitrous oxide, then the candles ignited, and by the time they got in there to rescue him, it was too late.

By all accounts he was a nice guy and did a lot for people, but his own personal life was out of control.

Also that Rachel Brown chick who owned the house may have been the one he referred to as his "soul mate". He claimed he was going to visit "family and my soul male" before traveling to Connecticut. Rachael rose from a temporary phone rep to a high level manager at the company, so it would make sense that it was largely due to her relationship with him. She looks like an average woman in her 40s, so props to him for dating a regular gal rather than finding some young hot model type who would be using him for $.

Load Metric
    steve-o was also a notorious no2 addict and has been transparent about it and his path to recovery. its definitely a thing.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Yeah I figured it would go this way. It’s why I specifically said candle. Didn’t expect the nitrous angle. Addicts and their candles. If you’re curious if someone is an addict, look for big ass candles and dried wax somewhere. They are so multi use for various addictions.

Load Metric
    We used to do whip-it’s in high school on spring break in Panama City. They got you high for a very, very short period and that was that. Can’t imagine getting addicted to such.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post
    We used to do whip-it’s in high school on spring break in Panama City. They got you high for a very, very short period and that was that. Can’t imagine getting addicted to such.
    Too poor to do proper drugs.

Look at you now

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Sanlmar, what was your daughter's reaction to this? Did she ever meet him there? What was the impression of Tony among Zappos workers?
    By virtue of this thread I broke the news to her. Her instant reaction was, “I wouldn’t be where I am today without Zappos”.

He partially subsidized her apartment because it was located close to the old city hall/Zappos HQ. Free medical, free food. It went on and on.

The employees loved Zappos. Hsieh kept Amazon out of their hair. Shit rapidly unwound toward the end of Hsieh’s reign. IT all bailed. They were all extremely loyal to one another in the after life. Great great network of ex colleagues. Zappos was like a college experience and is remembered fondly.

Wouldn't surprise me if Hsieh turned out to be a freak and a weird dude.
    I jumped all over you when you posted this.

You nailed it.

I’m stunned. Such a waste.

Comments

rum dick: Damn
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 12-02-2020 at 07:07 PM.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    By virtue of this thread I broke the news to her. Her instant reaction was, “I wouldn’t be where I am today without Zappos”.

He partially subsidized her apartment because it was located close to the old city hall/Zappos HQ. Free medical, free food. It went on and on.

The employees loved Zappos. Hsieh kept Amazon out of their hair. Shit rapidly unwound toward the end of Hsieh’s reign. IT all bailed. They were all extremely loyal to one another in the after life. Great great network of ex colleagues. Zappos was like a college experience and is remembered fondly.

You nailed it.

sad to hear a guy like this died...remember reading some of your musings when ur daughter worked there...pretty cool that somebody who was undergrad at harvard "got it"...

the shit druff talked about, the no bosses thing probably went a little too far, but sounds like the guy's heart was in the right place...

treating employees as human...fucking novel concept...first job outta college my boss was like that...woulda taken a bullet for the guy...stayed outta our hair, let us do what we needed to do how we wanted to do it, always there if we needed help...but in return you couldnt be a fucking moron...i loved it...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Next drama: https://www.tmz.com/2020/12/02/ex-za...o-will-family/

He died without a will. He had no wife or kids.

His $840 million fortune will go to the closest relative(s).

Not sure if his parents are still alive. If they are, they'd get it.

The order (with no will is): spouse, children, parents, siblings, and nieces/nephews, grandchildren, grandparents, aunts/uncles.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

You nailed it.

I felt bad posting this, because by all accounts, Hsieh was a good guy and meant well.

Unfortunately, I've seen it all too many times where groundbreaking innovators have major psychological flaws as a side effect. In fact, I think these psychological "flaws" are partially what enable them to be as good as they are at what they do.

What was good about Tony Hsieh was also what was bad about Tony Hsieh.

Fortunately, Tony's flaws appear to have been mostly destructive to himself, and not others. The same can't be said for Steve Jobs.

I do hope he's honored in downtown LV with a street name, or something like that. He deserves it, even if he did die while huffing nitrous in a locked shed.

Comments

garrett: lmao, "he did die while huffing nitrous in a locked shed" this is so funny, sad, but hilarious in a way....

Load Metric
    Next drama: https://www.tmz.com/2020/12/02/ex-za...o-will-family/

He died without a will. He had no wife or kids.

His $840 million fortune will go to the closest relative(s).

Not sure if his parents are still alive. If they are, they'd get it.

The order (with no will is): spouse, children, parents, siblings, and nieces/nephews, grandchildren, grandparents, aunts/uncles.

and the State will get it if no one else does.

Load Metric
    Tony Hsieh’s American Tragedy: The Self-Destructive Last Months Of The Zappos Visionary

https://www.forbes.com/sites/angelau...ppos-visionary

Comments

Sanlmar: Thanks. Great piece. Hell of a ride.

Load Metric

Comments

rum dick: Jewel rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    I stay to myself and keep out of trouble and/or potentially problematic scenarios

Load Metric
    Name:  133261C3-D504-4EE4-A7DE-F950302F532E.jpeg
Views: 347
Size:  380.8 KB

Name:  AF4D6559-BA00-41B6-A663-1FB6B6B0BCC0.jpeg
Views: 354
Size:  306.4 KB

Thread Information