Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who had Tony Hsieh in their deathpool?

Load Metric

Who had Tony Hsieh in their deathpool?

Tony Hsieh, the Zappos Luminary Who Revolutionized the Shoe Business, Dies at 46

like honestly at this point Vegas should just close up shop completely and let the desert reclaim it.

Comments

Sanlmar: Mercy
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Don't forget to get up to 40% off with coupon code THSUPERAIDS40 on all the latest mens styles
    Last edited by OSA; 11-27-2020 at 10:37 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Sanlmar, what was your daughter's reaction to this? Did she ever meet him there? What was the impression of Tony among Zappos workers?

As I've said in previous threads, I see why Zappos succeeded, but they were always a little bit "off" operations-wise.

Really curious as to how he died, given that he was only 46. Drug OD? COVID? Massive heart attack? Stroke? Cancer? The only thing we know is that it was he died "around his family members", making COVID seem unlikely.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    He retired as CEO three months ago, which might be indicative that he knew this was coming.

He was a big believer in downtown Las Vegas, and invested $350 million in projects there since 2012.

According to this LVRJ article, Tony initially believed that Zappos would be a failsite when he joined it in the late '90s: https://www.reviewjournal.com/busine...tires-2102935/

Load Metric
    werent there a bunch of strange stories going around about his living circumstances in vegas?

i seem to recall something about how there hasnt been any electrical feed to his house there for a long time.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    werent there a bunch of strange stories going around about his living circumstances in vegas?

i seem to recall something about how there hasnt been any electrical feed to his house there for a long time.
    No, I hadn't heard of that, but if anyone has any links to such stories, I'd like to read them. I've been mildly fascinated with Zappos and Hsieh ever since I won that $6k worth of gift cards at Cosmo years ago (which I have almost used up), and the company's innovation combined with strange operational blunders has been interesting to observe.

Wouldn't surprise me if Hsieh turned out to be a freak and a weird dude. Seems to often be the case with these highly successful, innovative types. Steve Jobs was a great example of this, though I've heard that Hsieh was mostly well-liked, whereas Jobs was a notorious asshole.

Load Metric

It’s the Review Journal so I’d like confirmation but.....

I’ll ask some people I know tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

It’s the Review Journal so I’d like confirmation but.....

I’ll ask some people I know tomorrow.
    Tweet doesn't exist. URL cut/paste fail?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

No, I hadn't heard of that, but if anyone has any links to such stories, I'd like to read them. I've been mildly fascinated with Zappos and Hsieh ever since I won that $6k worth of gift cards at Cosmo years ago (which I have almost used up), and the company's innovation combined with strange operational blunders has been interesting to observe.

Wouldn't surprise me if Hsieh turned out to be a freak and a weird dude. Seems to often be the case with these highly successful, innovative types. Steve Jobs was a great example of this, though I've heard that Hsieh was mostly well-liked, whereas Jobs was a notorious asshole.
    Like, seriously?! Who would have expected that...

https://www.reviewjournal.com/busine...-fire-2193165/

Name:  th.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  322.5 KB

Comments

Sanlmar: That’s what I had. Good job

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Come on Druff. I doubt you followed his story at all.

Jobs was an asshole. He was an open book in that regard. Hsieh was accessible and public. He too was an open book. He was well liked by his employees and the Las Vegas community.

Vegas will be the loser here at a time when Vegas needs a friend.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Strange.

"Injuries from a house fire" is also a weird description, as most people who die from house fires either suffer from smoke inhalation or are burned to death.

What do they mean by "injuries" here? Is it possible the jumped out the window from the 2nd story to get out of the house, injured himself badly, and died?

Comments

shoeshine box: was a basement apt. I believe.

Load Metric
    Vital Vegas, whatever that is, had him getting seriously hurt in a house fire in New London, Ct and eventually succumbing after a short hospitalization. I didn’t know if that was reliable. I seem to recall talk of that being garbage site, so I didn’t chime in when I searched his cause of death when thread popped up.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Vital Vegas, whatever that is, had him getting seriously hurt in a house fire in New London, Ct and eventually succumbing after a short hospitalization. I didn’t know if that was reliable. I seem to recall talk of that being garbage site, so I didn’t chime in when I searched his cause of death when thread popped up.
    Vital Vegas is a one-man operation, and his info is often unreliable. He was also recently sued by Sahara for allegedly putting out incorrect information that they were about to shut down (and refused to retract it), but that lawsuit ended up looking frivolous, and was recently dismissed.

He has an incredibly thin skin, and blocks people on Twitter super easily, including me. He took a lot of heat in March for being a COVID denier, and he kept encouraging people to visit downtown Vegas, insisting it was "just the flu". At the time, he worked for a marketing arm for the Fremont Street Experience.

He also has an attention whoring girlfriend who posts cringey sexually-themed tweets, in a vain attempt to become a social media star. She's like 20 years younger than him (he's 57), and she's also about 6 inches taller than him, so it looks really odd seeing photos of them together.

Anyway, like a broken clock, he is occasionally right. The injury to Hsieh in a house fire seems to be correct, but I hadn't heard that it was in Connecticut. Several years ago I bought an escape ladder which hooks onto the window sill and allows you to climb down, in case of a fire where the staircase is blocked. I bought one for my parents, too. Pretty important thing to have if your house isn't 1 story.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    It appears this November 18 fire is what killed him: https://www.theday.com/article/20201118/NWS04/201119437

Smoke inhalation and burns seem to be the main cause of death. He was trapped in the house and couldn't get out. They got him out, and he sat in critical condition for 9 days before passing away. Brutal.

I'm wondering if they will rename a street downtown after him.

Load Metric
    i hesitate to say this because fuck man what a shitty way to die, but building codes are pretty straight forward when it comes to homes having egress points in case of fire pretty much everywhere.

again im not trying to cast any shade here but that explanation seems to be designed to save face here.

Load Metric
    i hesitate to say this because fuck man what a shitty way to die, but building codes are pretty straight forward when it comes to homes having egress points in case of fire pretty much everywhere.

again im not trying to cast any shade here but that explanation seems to be designed to save face here.
    I don’t think you are wrong.

Known to be incredibly nice, but out there.

A lot of his ideas were praised as revolutionary but in reality were terrible and just covered up by massive growth. Once the growth dropped off a lot of that stuff imploded.

Things like nobody having a boss, no job titles, make your own job description, etc.

Sad though cause he was so young.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83 View Post

I don’t think you are wrong.

Known to be incredibly nice, but out there.

A lot of his ideas were praised as revolutionary but in reality were terrible and just covered up by massive growth. Once the growth dropped off a lot of that stuff imploded.

Things like nobody having a boss, no job titles, make your own job description, etc.

Sad though cause he was so young.
    I saw some of this in my dealings with them.

For example, there was this really tilting problem where sometimes the site would demand a credit card to pay for tax, even if your gift card balance could easily cover the tax.

This wasn't intended. It was a bug.

I alerted them to it, but years went by and it was never fixed.

Finally I called up, asked for a manager, and told the guy I knew the exact steps to reproduce the bug, and also why it was probably happening. I offered to write this up and send it to them.

"Oh, we get this complaint several times a day for years," he said. "The developers are very aware of it."

"Then why don't they fix it?!", I inquired. "This has to be a simple fix."

"It probably is, but the developers... they work on what they want. They don't listen to anyone. They just don't feel like doing this, and it doesn't get done."

I thought, "This company has some real management issues."

Load Metric
    I feel like this site would be alotttttttttt better if todge was somehow an asian jew

Load Metric
    This just occurred to me but is it something we should have been thinking about the whole time

Load Metric

I just assume there is something more to the story with situations like this. I didn’t know much about him other than he’s eccentric, but it’s hard to die in a fire as an able bodied adult when you only have to save yourself. I didn’t see mention of others.

From what I saw, inhalation or whatever, I just assume it’s a lot easier to nod out on drugs with a candle lit, or pass out drunk with something lit, as opposed to being trapped in a fire so bad that you can’t get out some way. It’s possible, but something strange seems far more probable.

Thread Information