Thread: Surprising US city population facts

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Surprising US city population facts

Due to differentials between city limits and metro areas, you might be surprised to learn some of these facts about US cities and their populations:

1) San Antonio has the 7th largest population in the US, but somehow doesn't have an NFL or MLB team.

2) Many regard Bakersfield, CA to be a hick town, or don't even know it exists. However, it has a larger population than Cleveland, Anaheim, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Orlando, and Pittsburgh.

3) Columbus, OH is somehow the 14th most populous city in the US -- much bigger than Cleveland and Cincinnati combined.

4) Phoenix is now the 5th biggest city in the US -- larger than Phliadelphia.

5) Fresno, CA and Mesa, AZ both have bigger populations than Miami and Atlanta.

6) Salt Lake City and Des Moines both have fewer people than the little-known Texas cities of Irving and Garland.

7) Charleston, SC is the 200th biggest city in the US, behind unknowns like Roseville, CA and Thornton, CO.

8) Austin is somehow the 11th biggest city in the US.

8) Despite there being 30 MLB teams, of the 30 most populous cities, these have no MLB teams close by: San Antonio (7th), Austin (11th), Columbus (14th), Charlotte (15th), Indianapolis (17th), El Paso (22nd), Nashville (23rd), Oklahoma City (25th), Portland (26th), Las Vegas (27th), Memphis (28th), and Louisville (29th).

9) Billings, Montana only has a population of 109,577, but it's the biggest city in Montana. It's smaller than places like Broken Arrow, OK, and Meridian, ID.

Comments

Jayjami: Bakersfield is a hicktown, just with 400,000 people

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Due to differentials between city limits and metro areas, you might be surprised to learn some of these facts about US cities and their populations:

1) San Antonio has the 7th largest population in the US, but somehow doesn't have an NFL or MLB team.

2) Many regard Bakersfield, CA to be a hick town, or don't even know it exists. However, it has a larger population than Cleveland, Anaheim, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Orlando, and Pittsburgh.

3) Columbus, OH is somehow the 14th most populous city in the US -- much bigger than Cleveland and Cincinnati combined.

6) Salt Lake City and Des Moines both have fewer people than the little-known Texas cities of Irving and Garland.

7) Charleston, SC is the 200th biggest city in the US, behind unknowns like Roseville, CA and Thornton, CO.

8) Austin is somehow the 1tth biggest city in the US.

8) Despite there being 30 MLB teams, of the 30 most populous cities, these have no MLB teams close by: San Antonio (7th), Austin (11th), Columbus (14th), Charlotte (15th), Indianapolis (17th), El Paso (22nd), Nashville (23rd), Oklahoma City (25th), Portland (26th), Las Vegas (27th), Memphis (28th), and Louisville (29th).

9) Billings, Montana only has a population of 109,577, but it's the biggest city in Montana. It's smaller than places like Broken Arrow, OK, and Meridian, ID.
    That's why I've always thunk you've gotta go with the Census Metropolitan Areas (CMA) as the basis for thinking about a city's true size. Like, if you live in Auburn Hills, MI, you're still from the Detroit CMA...or, more succinctly, just "Detroit", right?

This list from Wikipedia shows the biggest cities in North America and cities (CMA's) population ranked - you'll see that sports team proliferation generally corelates (but there are still glaring exceptions):

Name:  cma_way.png
Views: 305
Size:  237.3 KB

The same list shows Austin way down in the 40's, and Bakersfield would be about 90th not even making this list.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Wars View Post

8) Austin is somehow the 1tth biggest city in the US.

That's why I've always thunk you've gotta go with the Census Metropolitan Areas (CMA) as the basis for thinking about a city's true size. Like, if you live in Auburn Hills, MI, you're still from the Detroit CMA...or, more succinctly, just "Detroit", right?

This list from Wikipedia shows the biggest cities in North America and cities (CMA's) population ranked - you'll see that sports team proliferation generally corelates (but there are still glaring exceptions):

Name:  cma_way.png
Views: 305
Size:  237.3 KB

The same list shows Austin way down in the 40's, and Bakersfield would be about 90th not even making this list.
    Ty. Oops Druff
    Don't let this happen to you kids. Check it before you wreck it

Load Metric
    And by landmass, what is the largest US city?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post
    Didn’t know this. A few popped into my head but were wrong. Googled answer. I’ll see if anyone guesses it.

Comments

Tellafriend: Yeah, it’s never guessed right

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Didn’t know this. A few popped into my head but were wrong. Googled answer. I’ll see if anyone guesses it.

Phoenix and Huston are big...but it’s probably somewhere in Alaska....Anchorage maybe?

Or some city like Salt Lake City.

Load Metric
    not sure but I do know that you never get involved in a land war in asia

Load Metric
    What is Oklahoma City, Alex?
    Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 11-27-2020 at 02:05 PM.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric

Not surprising at all, Columbus is home to one of the biggest universities in the US. Cincinnati is right next to Louisville so they share populations, and Cleveland has been losing population for years, it's under 400,000 now, one of the reasons by Ohio is deep red now in politics.

Comments

splitthis:

Load Metric
    It's been Jacksonville for years, they advertise it all the time, just like nearby St Augustine is the oldest city in the US and the St Johns River runs South to North. It's in every rest stop pamphlet when you leave South Georgia to North Florida.

Comments

Tellafriend: Ding ding ding

splitthis:

Load Metric
    I'd never heard of the Inland Empire before. Pretty lofty name.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Lofty? IE is all about meth, trailer parks and 100 degree heat.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/10/...land-empire-2/

Load Metric
    La Quinta and most of the dessert cities are nice. Rubidoux, not so much.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post

Not surprising at all, Columbus is home to one of the biggest universities in the US. Cincinnati is right next to Louisville so they share populations, and Cleveland has been losing population for years, it's under 400,000 now, one of the reasons by Ohio is deep red now in politics.

Well in that case then Cincinnati is sharing populations with Louisville, Lexington, Indianapolis, Dayton and Columbus.
    Last edited by FR1GHT; 11-27-2020 at 09:00 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post

I lived in the eastern part of Riverside from 1993-1995. Bad area with lots of problems. Amazingly even I was once profiled once by police, as a cop pulling me over for a minor traffic violation was convinced I had to be a drug addict because I was skinny, white, and in my early 20s. He claimed he "knew the look", screamed at me for lying to him about not being on drugs. After I passed his sobriety test, he demanded to search my car, which I actually let him do just because I wanted it overwith and knew he'd find nothing.

Murders and rapes took place on my street. Domino's wouldn't deliver after 10pm. Most of the girls my age (21-23) already had kids.

I heard it's improved somewhat, at least in that area, since crime was at its peak in those days. Still wouldn't go back.

Load Metric
    Juneau, Alaska is, by far, the largest city in the United States at about 3,200 square miles. However, the population is only about 30,000. I lived there for years and my mother lived there until she died.
    POKER FAG ALERT! POKER FAG ALERT! FOR GAY SEX CONTACT SLOPPY JOE.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeycrimm View Post
    Juneau, Alaska is, by far, the largest city in the United States at about 3,200 square miles. However, the population is only about 30,000. I lived there for years and my mother lived there until she died.
    I stopped there on a cruise about 6 years ago. Was my second time there, though my first time was in my early 20s, when I pretty much just got off the ship and walked around. In my 2014 visit, I rented a car and explored the entire thing.

In short, it's pretty much a hick town which is completely isolated. There are no roads from the outside, meaning you have to get there either by boat or air. The car rental place I used was really shady, despite being a Hertz.

Anyway, after doing the tourist thing and visiting Mendenhall Glacier, I drove up the coast. They have basically a road to nowhere, which goes north. Hardly anyone drives that direction. You can have 4 cruise ships in port, with the town being jammed, and almost nobody driving up that coast. Found some beautiful beaches along that route, though it was spoiled a little bit because there seems to be a littering problem on those beaches, and no effort to clean it up. But the scenery and lack of people is great.

In 1995 I walked into state capitol building. At the time there was zero security there. People could walk anywhere. I probably could have strolled into the governor's office, and nobody would have stopped me. I can't imagine it's the same way now.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Texter View Post

Phoenix and Huston are big...but it’s probably somewhere in Alaska....Anchorage maybe?

Or some city like Salt Lake City.
    Your two were the first two I thought of. They were 9 and 10. According to google, none here are right answer. Jacksonville was 7th. Someone guessed number 2, but number 1 was a city I had never even heard of.

Puts His Dick in the Mashed Potatoes
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post

Be nice. They have vineyards too.

Thread Information