Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random facts about Finland in the aftermath of the remake of Rocky 4.

Load Metric

Random facts about Finland in the aftermath of the remake of Rocky 4.

In the remake Rocky got beat in to submission by his Russian counterpart. Who knew that lifting logs and frolicking in the woods wasn't enough training to beat the monstrosity that was created by the help of the Russian state's full cooperation and disregard for any rules of the competition. But anyway this is more about the stage of the fight.

1. Finns really love any international recognition. That's the basis for the "Suomi mainittu, Torilla tavataan"-meme. It translates to Finland mentioned, meet you at the marketplace. It's a semi-sarcastic remark. All major celebrations happen at the marketplace in Finnish towns and spontaneous gatherings there usually happen after hockey or Eurovision victories. The important things in life.

2. We take our borders seriously. This is our border with Sweden...

...you can see the border post behind the 6th hole flag of the Tornio golf course. Tornio shares the golf course with a Swedish border town. It's in the middle of the border because neither really care. Players cross the border whenever they like.

3. Highest speeding ticket in the history of Finland was 103000$. A Nokia executive was fined for going 45 on 30 mph zone in 2002. Our fines are based on income. Before 1999 it was left at the honesty of the person being fined to report their income correctly. After they started using a database to check income we found out to our dismay that some people had been lying before.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...ticket/387484/

4. Finnish language is about as hard to learn as Mandarin Chinese. The payoff for learning Chinese is that you can communicate with a billion Chinese, while for Finnish it's about 7 million Finns. Our related languages in Estonia and Hungary aren't something we understand. We share few words with Estonians and neither of us understand the Hungarians.

We lack all the small words that English use. Like a/the, to/from, in/out etc. Instead we cram all those in to nouns themselves. There are 15 plus basic forms of all Finnish nouns that follow one of the 42 different patterns that most Finns know intuitively. I don't know why i use some forms but i do know them nearly all and what pattern to use.

As a result of the different forms of every word it's very common that words can have a different meaning and only way to know is the context. Such as the phrase "Kuusi palaa" can mean 9 different things and 8 out of those are complete sentences. "Kuusi" is either Six, Spruce or Your Moon. "Palaa" is either To Burn, To Return or Pieces. The whole phrase is some combination of those. Oh and they are all pronounced exactly the same way.

We also like combining old words to describe new or unknown things. Such as Computer is Tietokone, that directly translates to Knowledge Machine or Dragon is Lohikaarme (Salmon Snake). Two combined words is very common, three is fairly common and grammatically you can stretch the concept to 60+ letter "words" made of 5+ other words, that no one uses but are technically correct.

5. We like Sauna. In Finland there are 5ish million Finns and 3 million saunas. The word Sauna is Finnish. I didn't participate in the sauna thread here because by Finnish standards I'm just no that big on sauna. I only use it once a week with a mild heat of 70c and i don't even use a "Vihta". "Vihta" is collection of small branches tied together in specific way with leaves attached and it's used to whip yourself while in sauna. The logic is that whipping yourself with a single branch in extreme heat is an awful idea but if you do it with 50 branches tied together it's kinda relaxing.

There was a sauna championship contest here that was run from 1999-2010. The idea was to measure who can stay the longest in 110c sauna. A game of retarded chicken. In 2010 the sauna was exceptionally brutal and that led to death of a Russian contestant. He was one the last two and they were assisted out of the sauna after 6 minutes. The Finn that was with him went in to a coma for 6 weeks, but ultimately recovered. The cause of death for the Russian was 3rd degree burns in combination with painkillers and skin lotion (a form of cheating).

The 2010 championship went to a contestant that walked out of the sauna unassisted before the last two. The Finn that went to a coma was a 5 time champion, but as far as we are concerned for us it's admirable to stick around till you almost die, but walking out on your own is worth more. Those were the rules and we don't like rewarding stupidity. Oh and the Finn wasn't cheating in any way, he was just rightfully stubborn (we can't let Russians win even if they are cheating).

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...p-russian-dead

6. Tenth of all Finnish descendants live in the US. Most of them migrated in the 19th century as result of famine and poverty. They generally got along well with the natives. To the degree that whenever there was any unrest Finnish dwellings were left alone. I assume the reason was in the similarities. They both had their form of steam rooms, neither can understand property rights and they both enjoy their alcohol.

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/f...ousins/9087943

In the 19th century there were fine drinking establishments in the north that refused to serve Indians or Finns. I assume that was because some Indians can't handle their alcohol and become violent, while some Finns can handle their alcohol and become violent.

To this day, if you own property in forests, lakes or rivers in Finland anyone can camp, forage and fish there as long as they don't litter, cut trees or make noise. It's something called "jokamiehenoikeudet". It translates to every man's right's and a variation of it is fairly common in Northern Europe. The premium for owning forests is timber and hunting. Everything else is free and protected by law for everyone.

7. Other points i'll add if i ever get around to it.

Comments

Sheesfaced: Insightful post; thanks for sharing

IamGreek: Knowledge rep

hongkonger: Finland, FUCK YEAH

Salty_Aus: Pardon me for thinking you were American. Your English is great!

big dick: .

Load Metric
    Big fan of Finland. Used to visit a lot when I lived in Saint Petersburg and Russia got a bit too much for me. Ended up dating a half Finn/half Russian girl for a bit.

I was in a pub in Helsinki for the 2016 Hockey championships final when Finland lost. Saw a few tears.

Thought it was mad how every school child learns Finnish, Swedish and English from day 0. Wish the UK was like that.

Great country.

Comments

gimmick: ty ty

FPS_Russia: They certainly have a culture worth preserving.

YUUP: You were a student a year or so ago, is all this traveling on daddy’s money? Not hating.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmick View Post
    In the remake Rocky got beat in to submission by his Russian counterpart. Who knew that lifting logs and frolicking in the woods wasn't enough training to beat the monstrosity that was created by the help of the Russian state's full cooperation and disregard for any rules of the competition. But anyway this is more about the stage of the fight.

1. Finns really love any international recognition. That's the basis for the "Suomi mainittu, Torilla tavataan"-meme. It translates to Finland mentioned, meet you at the marketplace. It's a semi-sarcastic remark. All major celebrations happen at the marketplace in Finnish towns and spontaneous gatherings there usually happen after hockey or Eurovision victories. The important things in life.

2. We take our borders seriously. This is our border with Sweden...

...you can see the border post behind the 6th hole flag of the Tornio golf course. Tornio shares the golf course with a Swedish border town. It's in the middle of the border because neither really care. Players cross the border whenever they like.

3. Highest speeding ticket in the history of Finland was 103000$. A Nokia executive was fined for going 45 on 30 mph zone in 2002. Our fines are based on income. Before 1999 it was left at the honesty of the person being fined to report their income correctly. After they started using a database to check income we found out to our dismay that some people had been lying before.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...ticket/387484/

4. Finnish language is about as hard to learn as Mandarin Chinese. The payoff for learning Chinese is that you can communicate with a billion Chinese, while for Finnish it's about 7 million Finns. Our related languages in Estonia and Hungary aren't something we understand. We share few words with Estonians and neither of us understand the Hungarians.

We lack all the small words that English use. Like a/the, to/from, in/out etc. Instead we cram all those in to nouns themselves. There are 15 plus basic forms of all Finnish nouns that follow one of the 42 different patterns that most Finns know intuitively. I don't know why i use some forms but i do know them nearly all and what pattern to use.

As a result of the different forms of every word it's very common that words can have a different meaning and only way to know is the context. Such as the phrase "Kuusi palaa" can mean 9 different things and 8 out of those are complete sentences. "Kuusi" is either Six, Spruce or Your Moon. "Palaa" is either To Burn, To Return or Pieces. The whole phrase is some combination of those. Oh and they are all pronounced exactly the same way.

We also like combining old words to describe new or unknown things. Such as Computer is Tietokone, that directly translates to Knowledge Machine or Dragon is Lohikaarme (Salmon Snake). Two combined words is very common, three is fairly common and grammatically you can stretch the concept to 60+ letter "words" made of 5+ other words, that no one uses but are technically correct.

5. We like Sauna. In Finland there are 5ish million Finns and 3 million saunas. The word Sauna is Finnish. I didn't participate in the sauna thread here because by Finnish standards I'm just no that big on sauna. I only use it once a week with a mild heat of 70c and i don't even use a "Vihta". "Vihta" is collection of small branches tied together in specific way with leaves attached and it's used to whip yourself while in sauna. The logic is that whipping yourself with a single branch in extreme heat is an awful idea but if you do it with 50 branches tied together it's kinda relaxing.

There was a sauna championship contest here that was run from 1999-2010. The idea was to measure who can stay the longest in 110c sauna. A game of retarded chicken. In 2010 the sauna was exceptionally brutal and that led to death of a Russian contestant. He was one the last two and they were assisted out of the sauna after 6 minutes. The Finn that was with him went in to a coma for 6 weeks, but ultimately recovered. The cause of death for the Russian was 3rd degree burns in combination with painkillers and skin lotion (a form of cheating).

The 2010 championship went to a contestant that walked out of the sauna unassisted before the last two. The Finn that went to a coma was a 5 time champion, but as far as we are concerned for us it's admirable to stick around till you almost die, but walking out on your own is worth more. Those were the rules and we don't like rewarding stupidity. Oh and the Finn wasn't cheating in any way, he was just rightfully stubborn (we can't let Russians win even if they are cheating).

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...p-russian-dead

6. Tenth of all Finnish descendants live in the US. Most of them migrated in the 19th century as result of famine and poverty. They generally got along well with the natives. To the degree that whenever there was any unrest Finnish dwellings were left alone. I assume the reason was in the similarities. They both had their form of steam rooms, neither can understand property rights and they both enjoy their alcohol.

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/f...ousins/9087943

In the 19th century there were fine drinking establishments in the north that refused to serve Indians or Finns. I assume that was because some Indians can't handle their alcohol and become violent, while some Finns can handle their alcohol and become violent.

To this day, if you own property in forests, lakes or rivers in Finland anyone can camp, forage and fish there as long as they don't litter, cut trees or make noise. It's something called "jokamiehenoikeudet". It translates to every man's right's and a variation of it is fairly common in Northern Europe. The premium for owning forests is timber and hunting. Everything else is free and protected by law for everyone.

7. Other points i'll add if i ever get around to it.

Interesting stuff. The Nordic countries all rank high in quality of life, but your country seems to almost always be at the top or very close when I’ve seen happiness rankings, and things like child care and public education rankings. Sounds like a great place

Just curious, what % of population say under 50 speak English? I’m sure it’s really high under 35. I’ve never heard much about Finland immigration policies being so small. We tend to hear about Germany or England or France. Does Finland take it a lot of immigrant relative to population? Where primarily from? Do they have trouble assimilating due to difficulty of language?

Also, I recall reading an article about Finland and NATO last year. Iirc, it was an opinion poll where maybe half were against it, while maybe a quarter were for it. I know Finland has always been in a difficult spot with sharing a border with Russia. Is there a general unease in Finland about Trump’s embrace of Putin? Is that a big story there or something that your average Finn doesn’t concern themselves with given they’ve always lived under the reality of having to deal with Russia as your neighbor?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Interesting stuff. The Nordic countries all rank high in quality of life, but your country seems to almost always be at the top or very close when I’ve seen happiness rankings, and things like child care and public education rankings. Sounds like a great place

Just curious, what % of population say under 50 speak English? I’m sure it’s really high under 35. I’ve never heard much about Finland immigration policies being so small. We tend to hear about Germany or England or France. Does Finland take it a lot of immigrant relative to population? Where primarily from? Do they have trouble assimilating due to difficulty of language?

Also, I recall reading an article about Finland and NATO last year. Iirc, it was an opinion poll where maybe half were against it, while maybe a quarter were for it. I know Finland has always been in a difficult spot with sharing a border with Russia. Is there a general unease in Finland about Trump’s embrace of Putin? Is that a big story there or something that your average Finn doesn’t concern themselves with given they’ve always lived under the reality of having to deal with Russia as your neighbor?
    For under 50 maybe 60-70% and +90% for under 35. When i went to school Swedish was mandatory at 8 maybe and then at 10 everyone had to choose a 3rd language to learn. Most people chose English. There's another angle that affects the younger generations being more fluent in English though.

We use subtitles with TV and movies. Even in Finnish channels more than half of all shows were always English/American/Australian with Finnish subtitles. It kinda results in people picking up the language without really trying. My generation also grew up watching Sky Channel and Super Channel. Most kids watched cartoons and WWF without even speaking the language at the time. Then there's also music and computer games that were never translated. Entertainment in general was always mostly American/British.

With immigration we accept more refugees than US and much less than Sweden or Germany. We were never a traditional target for immigrants. The language is a clear barrier. Refugees are mostly from Somalia, Ghana, Turkey, Former Yugoslavia, Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria. More traditional immigrants that are here for work or education are mostly from Russia and Estonia.

You could say we've always favored Nato over Russia, but till the collapse Soviet Union it wasn't practical to pick a side formally. We often train with Nato and also participate in some projects. On the other hand we have to keep Russia content and avoid alarming them too much. We don't really trust them, but we can't exactly get rid of them either. We only have one threat for peace. For protection we rely on ourselves, EU and Nordic countries. Mostly because of that we aren't too worried about Trump being too close to Putin. We've never been too sure what America would do in the case of Russian invasion. In many ways EU has replaced Nato in Europe.

Comments

BCR:

FPS_Russia: Interesting

Load Metric
    The only negative I experienced about Finnish people was that I heard a bunch of racism against Somalians from normally even-keeled left-wing youth. Really shocked me.

Also that salted licorice Salmiakki shit is awful.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Good read. I went to college with a guy named Mika T ________i. Last name sounding Japanese. Very religious, very proud of being Finnish, and yeah big sauna and hockey fan. I just googled his last name, got the spelling right, and sure enough he's on Linkden. Going give him a shout later.

Do the Finns still hate the Russians, and did they hate the Germans as much or more at one time?

Load Metric
    If anyone is interested there's a cool historical/drama/comedy film called The Cuckoo. It's set in occupied Finland during World War Two and the main characters are a Finn (in a Nazi uniform), a Soviet soldier and a Sami reindeer woman. Neither of them speak each other's language.

There's a good scene where the Finn asked the Russian what his name is and he replies "poshol ty" (fuck off/go away) and because the Finn doesn't realise, he calls the Russian "poshol ty" for the rest of the movie.

Watch it.

Comments

gimmick: i'll have to check it out

Load Metric
    I don't know if i'd say we hate Russians esp. today, but the older generations are still reserved. Russians and Germans were the only countries we clashed with in WW2.

I've lived on the west coast most of my life, but i have family in the East. I have 2 half Russian nieces. I've only been to Russia twice and that was year or two after the collapse in the early 90s. At least back then people bounced back and forth the border. Both sides made day trips to the other side fairly casually and there was a consensus on how much it was acceptable to smuggle stuff to the other side.

Out of all the immigrant groups Somalis face most of the racism. I mentioned it in a another thread, but i assume it's mostly because most Finns had never seen black people before the 90s and they were the first large wave of refugees for us. It's hard for them to assimilate and we don't really get anything from them. We got kebab and dill macaroni from former Yugoslav's. For most that alone is roughly enough to be considered pulling their weight.

Load Metric
    Salmiakki is an acquired taste kinda deal with a strict time limit. If you ate it as a kid, it tastes fine. If you didn't, you'll likely never like it.

Salty licorice that's only common in Northern Europe and Holland...

...as a result older Afrikaners can still eat it.

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric

Comments

hongkonger: Monty Python rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    How do you find the winters when there's only a few hours of daylight?

Do the government hand out Vitamin D during the winter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    And then there's this guy:

Simo "Simuna" Häyhä
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4

When asked in 1998 how he had become such a good shooter, Häyhä answered, "Practice."

Comments

gimmick:
    When faced with a difficult decision, ask yourself "What would Micon do?", then do the opposite.

PFA Rookie of the Year Awards
    2012: The Templar (unknown)
    2013: Jasep $5000+
    2015: Micon's gofundme legal defense $3k begging for 100k:
    2018: 4Dragons
    2019: Dutch Boyd: Mike Postle
    2020: Covid19
    2021: SMIFlorida and some sort of shit coins for $50k
    2022: BDubs leaks chums club info
    2023: 22nd Feb 4th Dec Youtube channels removed
    2024: Dustin Morgan wins Chrissy's $1000 contest

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Belly Buster View Post
    How do you find the winters when there's only a few hours of daylight?

Do the government hand out Vitamin D during the winter?
    Ethnic Finns don't necessarily need it, but immigrants do take supplemental vitamin D. We've been around here for so long that there must be some other mechanisms at play that are not fully known. I live roughly in the middle of Finland so here we have 6ish hours of daylight at the peak of winter.

It's still north enough that every summer there's a month or two when the sun doesn't really go down at all.

Load Metric
    At quick glance it looks like it could be just diet that takes care of vitamin D. Milk, eggs and greasy fish are all part of traditional Finnish diet.

Comments

hongkonger: Bingo

Load Metric
    Are Finnish girls easy?

Comments

gimmick: sadly no, at least to locals

Load Metric
    Regarding Finnish girls there's few things that slow things down.

We have no concept of small talk.

We consider 6 feet in personal space as slightly intrusive.

We avoid eye contact or smiling to strangers.

We don't really do attention, bragging or compliments.

Most people are introverted with very high self-esteem.

Between us and the Russians, Russians are considered the jovial ones.

Only thing that changes any of the above is alcohol and/or drugs.

Load Metric
    Is Conan still huge in Finland?
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Load Metric

Do they have nice Aryan blonde bushes or has the unfortunate trend of pussy shaving caught on there?

Also I second PLOL's question about Conan, and how did Finns feel about Letterman when he was on nightly?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkonger View Post

Do they have nice Aryan blonde bushes or has the unfortunate trend of pussy shaving caught on there?

Also I second PLOL's question about Conan, and how did Finns feel about Letterman when he was on nightly?
    Conan was/is always huge and i don't think Letterman was on any Finnish channels. So you had to really look for Letterman. Mostly through some American channels being in your cable package.

At the start Conan was the only American late night show that was on Finnish television. We basically missed everything that was before him. I think Leno came shortly after Conan.

Out of all the American late night show hosts Conan's brand of humor has always resonated best with Finns. We tilt towards British humor more than American.

We also might have liked Andy more than Conan. We appreciate a good hype man. Like with Public Enemy we would always go for Flavor Flav as our favorite.

Bush wise shaving is disturbingly popular. It's somewhat counterbalanced with 6 months of cold as fuck winter. So there are environmental forces at play to demotivate it. I think we still have most blondes per capita in the world. So odds are good for finding blond bush esp. at winter time.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkonger View Post

Conan was/is always huge and i don't think Letterman was on any Finnish channels. So you had to really look for Letterman. Mostly through some American channels being in your cable package.

At the start Conan was the only American late night show that was on Finnish television. We basically missed everything that was before him. I think Leno came shortly after Conan.

Out of all the American late night show hosts Conan's brand of humor has always resonated best with Finns. We tilt towards British humor more than American.

We also might have liked Andy more than Conan. We appreciate a good hype man. Like with Public Enemy we would always go for Flavor Flav as our favorite.

Bush wise shaving is disturbingly popular. It's somewhat counterbalanced with 6 months of cold as fuck winter. So there are environmental forces at play to demotivate it. I think we still have most blondes per capita in the world. So odds are good for finding blond bush esp. at winter time.
    Neighbour

New Zealand - Australia
    Canada - USA
    Scotland - England (sorry)
    Finland - _____________

Thread Information