Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Major (and ongoing) Venmo hack is targeting accounts of big name poker pros

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post

It's possible the hacker can't scan the entire Venmo system for large balances but can try specific people.

I know people that aren't poker/twiiter famous with 5 figures in their Venmo since pre-covid all the up and until now and nothing has happened.
    Honestly if you asked me to name a non-poker-player (anyone, whether I know them personally or not), who has 5 figures in their Venmo right now, I'd be pressed to come up with a name.

But yeah I'm guessing they can't scan for balances, but rather have to take shots at whomever they think has $.
    I can name at least one and I am sure I know several for which this is true.

All the online poker clubs settlements happen with Venmo and a lot of PPH bookies use it to settle.

It's a weird one. I don't believe these people were hacked. I think it's an inside job from someone that can't see the balances or we would hear more about it.

I mean how fucking hard is this to solve if Venmo actually tried? Jesus

Silver
    Load Metric
    no way these are hacks. something nefarious is going on.

Given how horrible the human beings are at ebay/paypal, expect this to never end.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Shannon Shorr also hit, but actually got his money back.

https://twitter.com/ShannonShorr/status/1371652774815928327

Comments

shoeshine box: Ni Duh..PFA had this on the News Weeks ago.. this the kid jumped offa balcony and broke his back lucky..

Load Metric

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    1) Phishing attack

2) Stolen password from previous hack

3) Social engineering attack

4) Email compromise

5) Keylogger attack

6) Insider attack

7) Exploit/hacking of Venmo
    Your phone carrier can be a problem area, also. A sympathetic representative might give a thief your password, and use this to exploit information on your SIM card.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sludge View Post
    Interesting, but I don't believe any of these were happening here.

It appears to be some kind of exploit in the system, perhaps being done by an insider. The exploit is definitely connected to sending a request for money to the victim. That seems to be step one, and then somehow the hacker gets into their account at will.

Comments

shoeshine box: How did Shannon Re-coup his $?

Load Metric

Comments

FRANKRIZZO: major , belongs in biden thread
    Winner of the $555 freeroll

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    6 more, though it's not clear who the first 5 are...

https://twitter.com/tonydunsttv/status/1376739154977951745

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The next possible victim...

ME!!

I got this weird request today at about 6pm PDT:

Name:  venmo-scammer.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  19.3 KB

I don't know a Nick Scheel. I tried to look him up, and I'm not even convinced he's a real person.

Here's his Twitter, which goes back to 2015, and claims he's a student at "IU", graduating in 2021, presumably Indiana University: https://twitter.com/nicholas_scheel

Here's his Instagram, which claims he is a UCSB student, also graduating in 2021: https://www.instagram.com/nickscheel_/

Notice both have a water sports theme to them, and both are private, so they're likely set up by the same person.

Here's a Linkedin of the same Nick Scheel: https://www.linkedin.com/in/nick-scheel-aa206763

Here's another one: https://www.linkedin.com/in/nick-scheel-6b6886201

Supposedy Nick Scheel graduated high school in 2017, and is about to graduate college, making him around 22 years old.

The biggest piece of evidence that he's a real person comes from this weird Canadian "Trident Sports" website, where he supposedly blogged in 2011-2012 as a paddleboarder who was 12-13 years old: https://www.tridentsports.com/tag/nick-scheel/

However, I cannot find any public records about a Nick Scheel, though. Is it possible that he doesn't exist? Or is there a real Nick Scheel whose accounts were hacked, or identity duplicated online?

Definitely the person behind the Venmo account was sending me a nefarious request -- either to trick me into sending him $100 for "graduation drinks" (and possibly sending this to a mass number of people), or this is possibly the same scheme to access my Venmo.

Anyway, my account there has no money and no bank account, so he can't do much either way, but... this is worrisome.

Comments

shoeshine box: They targeted you I would bet for yr inferences about them.

Load Metric
    As you know Druff, I was previously a skip tracer.

I do not have access to the professional tools I use to, but still have some knowledge how to publicly find people.

It does appear that Nick Scheel is a real person, and has ties to Indiana. However it does seem as he's opted out of the public search data bases.

I found a Nick Scheel on FB that closely resembles some of the other pictures of him. He only has like 65 friends and doesn't appear to be active, however he has family members (people with the same last name) on his friends list and has even "liked" his picture.

If you go into the families profiles, they appear to be from Indiana.

Still doesn't prove/disprove that you were requested funds from Nick Scheel, but gives better indication that he is real

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nick.scheel.146

Also from his facebook to follow along with the water theme:

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 382
Size:  45.4 KB

Load Metric
    PS: Nick Scheel. If you're reading this,

Please don't hire a private investigator to give you my private, personal information and then dox me, including posting my SSN on the internet for all to see.

Thank you.

Comments

Dan Druff: lol

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Nick Scheel has made contact with me.

He claims that the request was accidental. I followed this up with questions. Hopefully we will have this cleared up soon. Keeping an open mind about the situation, but I'm also not going to gullibly accept BS explanations.

We shall see.

Rest In Peace
    Load Metric

Exclamation

Hi SSbx

We’re making some updates to Venmo and the Venmo User Agreement, including changes to 1) the visibility of your friends list and your visibility in other users’ friends lists, 2) the Venmo Purchase Protection Program, 3) the fees charged for instant transfers, and 4) the fees charged for receiving payments that are identified by senders as for goods and services.

1) You can now select a public, friends, or private setting for your friends list, and opt out of being seen on the friends lists of other Venmo users. Review and manage your privacy controls by going to Settings > Privacy in the Venmo app.

2) Effective July 20, 2021, the Venmo Purchase Protection Program will expand eligibility for payments received into a user’s business profile or that are identified as for goods and services. To be eligible for the expanded Purchase Protection Program, sellers will need to meet additional requirements described in our User Agreement.

3) Effective July 20, 2021, users who receive payments that are identified by senders as for goods and services will be charged a seller transaction fee of 1.9% + $0.10.

4) Effective August 2, 2021, the fee for instant transfers will be 1.5% per instant transfer ($0.25 minimum fee, $15 maximum fee).

As always, you can view the Venmo User Agreement, Privacy Policy, and other Venmo policies in your Venmo app Settings or by visiting Venmo.com and clicking ‘Legal’ at the bottom of the page.

If you have questions about any of these changes or your Venmo account, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us.

Thank you for being a Venmo customer.

Sincerely, Venmo, a PayPal service

Thread Information