Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Student loan forgiveness

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dmndkutr View Post

Lol - so 43 million people were doing woman's studies? You've done no research on this and it shows. https://thehill.com/homenews/nexstar...snTrfiXSV_6oAk
    Read my post again.

I did not blame this entire thing -- or even most of it -- on women's studies majors. I said that useless majors were some of the problem, but much of it came from people with irresponsible money management habits, who now just get enabled further.

The person making $115k per year, who frivolously spends every dime he earns, does NOT deserve a government benefit just because he'd rather get a new iPhone or go on expensive vacations rather than pay down the principal of his old student loan.
    Studying Art History or scratching that Music Theory itch is the privilege of the rich. Why should construction workers have to subsidize the wealthy? Why should the country risk our financial stability for this either. That ship has sailed already but just sayin’.

It’s just plain corrupt politics. Wonder how Pelosi cashed on this.

Revisiting trivia:
    Clinton was the last President with a balanced budget (surplus). He was more than anything the beneficiary of a run that was started by a Reagan. It was important once upon a time. In 20 short years none of that matters mostly cause we have been so fucked up with the wars and the housing crash.

Values are all out of wack.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 08-25-2022 at 05:58 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

Read my post again.

I did not blame this entire thing -- or even most of it -- on women's studies majors. I said that useless majors were some of the problem, but much of it came from people with irresponsible money management habits, who now just get enabled further.

The person making $115k per year, who frivolously spends every dime he earns, does NOT deserve a government benefit just because he'd rather get a new iPhone or go on expensive vacations rather than pay down the principal of his old student loan.
    Studying Art History or scratching that Music Theory itch is the privilege of the rich. Why should construction workers have to subsidize the wealthy? Why should the country risk our financial stability for this either. That ship has sailed already but just sayin’.

Revisiting trivia:
    Clinton was the last President with a balanced budget (surplus). He was more than anything the beneficiary of a run that was started by a Reagan. It was important once upon a time. In 20 short years none of that matters mostly cause we have been so fucked up with the wars and the housing crash.

While the useless majors are indeed part of this, I think more attention needs to be paid to the fact that most of this is just a money management issue -- a chronic problem for a large number of Americans.

The government should not be forgiving $10k you owe just because you refuse to pay anything beyond the minimum loan payment, while you blow the money needlessly. Sure, it's more fun to buy cool shit and take nice vacations rather than pay down loans, but this should not qualify for any kind of subsidy.

The libs like to focus on how many people have this debt, but not upon how they got there.

When you question why our tax dollars should be helping these people (including ones making $125k/year!!!), you're tut-tutted about how selfish you are for asking this, and then some false equivalence about PPP loans and corporate bailouts is thrown in your face.

Load Metric
    lot of pathologically uneducable people have some strong feelings about other people being given a chance to get an actual education itt.

btw all the aging right wing talking heads going ham over this could have paid for their educations with a part time job.

but yall go off.

Comments

devidee: I can only assume you are intentionally missing the point.

Daly: This is clearly a “work” by tine. Nobody currently in the workforce is this true for.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    lot of pathologically uneducable people have some strong feelings about other people being given a chance to get an actual education itt.

btw all the aging right wing talking heads going ham over this could have paid for their educations with a part time job.

but yall go off.
    So you agree that tuition is too damn high, and the whole thing is basically a grift supported by guaranteed loans and middle-upper class parents who feel they otherwise have no choice?

Great!

We finally agree on something. The reform needs to begin with tuition costs. And I don't mean that the government foots the entire existing bill. I mean the actual cost.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I went to public school and then a public college. I even spent a little time at a public junior college.

This was a long time ago, but I got to experience it all, and I saw what it cost -- both for me and for the state.

The costs were reasonable then. They are outrageous now. There is no reason for this.

Load Metric
    The education was got. Nobody is being denied their chance. Literally nobody.

We are talking about paying for it.

We will see if the Supreme Court steps in. Some nonsense about the Heroes Act and the Pandemic. Can a President just decide to spend $300b?

The executive branch cannot spend money that has not been appropriated by Congress, per 31 USC 1301 et seq (Antideficiency Act (PL. 97-258)) and Article I, Section 7, Clause 7 of the U.S. Constitution.

We used to be a nation of laws but the Presidency is about edge sorting in the waning days of the republic.

We will see.
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 08-25-2022 at 08:44 PM.

Load Metric

Read my post again.

Revisiting trivia:
    Clinton was the last President with a balanced budget (surplus). He was more than anything the beneficiary of a run that was started by a Pappy Bush. It was important once upon a time. In 20 short years none of that matters mostly cause we have been so fucked up with the wars and the housing crash.

FYP
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric

We will see if the Supreme Court steps in. Some nonsense about the Heroes Act and the Pandemic. Can a President just decide to spend $300b?

The executive branch cannot spend money that has not been appropriated by Congress, per 31 USC 1301 et seq (Antideficiency Act (PL. 97-258)) and Article I, Section 7, Clause 7 of the U.S. Constitution.

We used to be a nation of laws but the Presidency is about edge sorting in the waning days of the republic.

We will see.

beautifully said.

the whole i've got a pen and a cellphone era.

and no, they can't just spend our funds. we elect a congress to cheat us, not the pres.
    same with pushing us towards war with russia by arming its enemies during war.
    but few care.
    when is the next giveaway, rent abatement, or food stamp increase?

Load Metric
    The looting of the treasury will continue until morale improves.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyG_415 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post

Nor will it ever. “Kids” 22-27 shouldn’t be making meaningfully more than their non college educated piers assuming they moved out of entry level phase.

Where things should accelerate is when the college “Kid” makes it to 42 and has taken the degree and now has 20 years of experience in his/her field of study and is now a subject matter expert or a boss. In this instance there should be a meaningful divergence.
    I knew you guys would be crying but I didn't think it would be this bad. You guys act like you didn't have one break your whole lives, just STFU.
    ...........LOL at Daly, where did this whack job theory come from? Tucker? They are 10 year loans max to start.
    Its these scummy finance guys refi'ing them into life long loans and shit.
    And you think they should carry a student loan debt into their 40's? Instead of just giving them 10k.

I swear the rich cry when poor people get ANY break, but they cheer on Elon (who has had more government money handed to them besides him?)
    silent when the bankers get bailed out, or all the GOP's that didn't pay back the PPP's. (I'm more jealous then mad on that last one, I didn't know you could be like MTG and not pay back 180k.)

Just like Covid proved the GOP isn't pro life, this proves that stupid ass 'Trickle down theory' was a lie from day 1.
    Rich people don't trickle down shit.

I think they should pay for the debt they willingly took on. I know self responsibility is a concept you probably Don’t understand Jimmy.

I’ve had plenty of breaks. Harder I worked the more I got. Again probably not a concept you understand.

Comments

Tellafriend: You are speaking Latin to him.
    Last edited by Daly; 08-26-2022 at 09:02 AM.

Load Metric
    certainly belongs here on PFA

Name:  6E3EA94E-97EE-4BE6-9E10-9CCC6AB46F7B.png
Views: 159
Size:  857.1 KB

Gold
    Load Metric

We will see.
    There are no laws for the estab in DC, it's incredible to watch.
    Just yesterday, oh the FBI totally rigged the election.
    It was worded in a way so the FBI could have plausible deniability, they didn't say Hunter Biden's laptop.

Would Biden's Laptop matter, didn't Biden crush Trump?
    Fr Ron Unz
    But control of the White House depends upon the state-by-state tallies, and these told a very different story.

▲▼Incumbent Donald Trump lost Arizona, Georgia, and Wisconsin by such extremely narrow margins that a swing of less than 22,000 votes in those crucial states would have gotten him reelected. With a record 158 million votes cast, this amounted to a victory margin of around 0.01%. So if just one American voter in 7,000 had changed his mind, Trump might have received another four years in office. One American voter in 7,000.

▲▼Such an exceptionally narrow victory is extremely unusual in modern American history. For decades, the very tight Kennedy-Nixon race of 1960 had been a byword for close races, but Biden’s margin of victory was much smaller.

Let's go Brandon!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Something which also isn't being talked about enough is the concept of "degree inflation".

Over the years, an increasing number of jobs are requiring a college degree to get hired (or, at very least, it's a soft requirement where hiring high school grads is unusual).

I'm not talking about fields where a degree directly corresponds to the job -- such as a BS in Electrical Engineering being required for an electrical engineering job. I'm talking about jobs where ANY 4-year degree is required or strongly advantageous to have.

These degrees mean nothing other than, "The applicant was responsible and smart enough to get a 4-year degree at X school". It's become a litmus test. For the most part, college is no longer preparing people for careers. Hiring managers look at a resume of a young kid and think, "Okay, he finished with a 3.5 GPA from Harvard, obviously he's a smart kid and works hard." Should taxpayers be paying for this whole stupid exercise?

The whole college thing needs to be reconsidered. People 50 years ago saw this coming. It was warned that college degrees would become the norm, and academia would actually become a drain upon society. People laughed at the time, as college attendance in 1972 was still relatively low. But they were right.

If your parents have the money to send you to college, great. Go ahead and waste 4 years acquiring a degree in art history or women's studies. Taxpayers should only fund college when it's on the path to a real career. There should be a revival of vocational schools -- though real ones, not scams like ITT. The reality is that not all kids are college material, just like some kids are not cut out for athletics. This isn't a race or a class thing. I knew some rich white kids in my high school who went to college because that was the thing to do if your parents were rich, but I knew they were destined to flunk out. Lots of years and money are wasted in what has become an almost required extra 4 years of school.

There's been a lot of talk about everyone seemingly starting adulthood later. My parents got married in their early 20s. They both already had their careers going by this time. This was common in the mid-1960s. By the time I was in my early 20s, it was no longer common. People were waiting to get married, but otherwise were mostly acting as independent adults. Today's young generation is not only getting married even later, but we're seeing a lot of extended childhood into the 20s. Lots of these young adults are still supported by their parents, or even living at home with them. Marriage seems incredibly far off. Many aren't serious about a career yet. Teenagers 16+ are not interested in learning to drive.

This will all have a negative societal impact as time passes.

While I agree that delaying marriage until after 25 (and preferably 30) is probably wise, for maturity/compatibility reasons, I do feel that kids these days are growing up too slowly, rather than too quickly.

Comments

Tellafriend: Also solid

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Mind your business.

I mean, if some nerd turned their paper in a week before the due date who cared?

Just like a woman's choice. Mind your own.

If i pay my bill two weeks before the due date or after....who cares?

I don't give a shit about your education or if you like dick or not. Or if you pay your bills on time or not. I mean, good for you if you pay your bills and you swallow.

I mean, who gives a shit.

Comments

sonatine:

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Capitalism needs classes

and when one class gets closer to another the other class freaks

that's what it's happening...

I mean, millionaires are like...why is the person answering MY phone making half my pay?

If it doesn't apply then let it fly.

Load Metric
    someone write a script to replace 'student loans' with 'emancipation from slavery' in all these posts.

Comments

splitthis: Stfuuuuuuu
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Platinum
    Load Metric
    someone write a script to replace 'student loans' with 'emancipation from slavery' in all these posts.
    Dumbest post you’ve ever made, and that’s saying something.

Load Metric

Name:  97C0C989-7129-48BA-B9F9-3873874CC3BC.jpeg
Views: 122
Size:  77.3 KB

Thread Information