Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Cancel Culture Files: Abigail Shrier's book questioning the meteoric rise of transgender teen girls gets canceled by major comapanies

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    so stunning, so brave

Load Metric
    FUR IS MURDER! CANCEL HIM/HER/THEY/IT!

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    It's absolutely true that any research on "rapid-onset gender dysphoria" (ROGD) is met with strong opposition in the general academic community.

Wikipedia has a good summary of the issue: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapid_...ia_controversy

Merely investigating whether ROGD is a valid condition is viewed as a form of transphobia. Several studies have been conducted on ROGD and subsequently retracted after the studies were picked apart post-publication. You would never see such intense scrutiny (and retraction) of a scientific study that was investigating whether there was such a thing as something like "rapid-onset gambling disorder" - even if there was less evidence for rapid-onset gambling disorder.

It seems that there is significant push-back on any studies that might suggest that gender dysphoria could be temporary because it lends credence to the idea that being transgender is something that can be "overcome" or "grown out of" rather than an inborn characteristic.

One journalist who has written extensively about this issue is Jesse Singal. He wrote a very long piece for the Atlantic called "When Children Say They're Trans."

Singal is a left-wing journalist who hosts a podcast with a lesbian ("Blocked & Reported" with Katie Herzog). However, he has become a target of the trans community for this piece (and related articles).

Here's what slate had to say about the article:

The problems with Jesse Singal’s cover story for the Atlantic, “When Children Say They’re Trans,” have a way of creeping up on you. It purports to be a nuanced portrayal of a thorny issue: parents who want to do right by their trans and gender nonconforming kids, navigating a system and a society not necessarily optimized for that. But as the piece goes on—notably without a single happy, well-adjusted trans teen among its host of central characters for the first 9,000-plus words—it becomes apparent that certain voices and fears are privileged over others. This, unfortunately, is a trend that can be seen throughout Singal’s history of biased reporting on trans lives.
    I'm baffled. I've read the piece and several of Singal's follow-ups. I'm just not seeing what the critics are seeing. I think Singal's reporting has been balanced and fair on this issue.

As always, South Park was way ahead of the curve here with their character P.C. Principal calling everyone a "transphobe." Amazingly, these clips are from 5 years ago!

Load Metric
    I don't get it is the right for cancel culture or against it?

It seems like most things on the right, it is a one way hypocritical street.
    They hate it when it happens to them,
    But then they censure every politician that didn't go along w/Trump's lie.
    (You know the lie that he won, when he lost badly. In a landslide, in fact.)

But, this is the shit that won't fly, anymore,
    The right wants Cuomo to be silenced for 3 women he said inappropriate things to?

LOL, but Trump's 24 allegations are "canceled"? (for lack of a better word)
    The left won't care about allegations from the right, when the right doesn't
    hold their people accountable for the same thing. (Before you say the left doesn't; Al Franken & Avenatti.
    We kick our scumbags to the curb, but Jason Miller, who slipped his mistress an abortion pill is Trump's #1 guy, now.
    And Bill O'Rielly is back in RW media. )

Comments

ftpjesus: 12 women and counting now including actual sexual assault accusations. Cuomo is a creeper and a predator clearly and needs to go
    San Francisco crowned the ‘world’s best’ city to live: survey
    https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...o-live-survey/

Load Metric
    I can’t stop laughing wtf.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by splitthis View Post
    I can’t stop laughing wtf.
    What I don’t understand is how some consider transgenderism a trend. Trends tend to be frivolous and have some perceived benefit however small. A pot at the end of the rainbow does not await someone who realizes they are different in this way. Almost the opposite.

It used to be gays. Suicide was not uncommon for those who faced with all the glory of coming out back when.

I have no doubt more are emboldened to take this dramatic action than ever before but to imagine this is fashionable or anything of the sort is foolishness .

Comments

splitthis: A moment of clarity

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    they don't gotta burn the books
    they just remove em

rally round the family
    pocket full of shells

Load Metric
    Abigail Shrier noticed a disturbing trend in the mid-2010s involving teenage girls:

A shocking number of them were declaring themselves transgender. They were then demanding to get hormones and breast-removal surgeries, without enough time, counseling, or questions if these permanent alterations were advisable.

These were not young adults -- they were adolescent girls, many of whom showed no sign of gender dysphoria in the past.

Upon studying the matter, Shrier noticed the following:

1) While a sizable number of boys have had gender dysphoria throughout modern human history, it had always been much less common for girls, even during times when transitioning was taboo for both genders. However, in the mid-2010s, right around the time it started being regarded as "cool" to be trans, a shocking number of teen girls declared themselves transgender.

2) The majority of teen girls in the past who felt some form of gender dysphoria grew out of it by their 20s, and no longer felt any desire to transition.

3) Medical professionals have been rubber-stamping ill-advised transitions of teens, for fear of being labeled "transphobic", even in cases where the girl abruptly identified as trans with no real indicators that the feelings were likely to be permanent.

4) Parents have been browbeaten into supporting these rash transitions, as teenagers have threatened suicide or other dire consequences if they're not allowed to do so. Spineless psychologists and psychiatrists have supported these abrupt transitions, making it even tougher for parents to say no.

5) Most of the teen girls expressing the desire to transition have been white and middle-to-upper class. This same demographic used to express angst through self-harm and eating disorders in previous decades. Now these harmful behaviors are on the decline, but female-to-male transitioning seems to have replaced it.

Simply put, Shrier does NOT believe that the recent increased acceptance of trans people allowed huge numbers of teen girls to finally express their gender dysphoria safely. Instead, she felt that the media's glamorizing of it has caused teen girls to grab onto the trans identity as a wrongheaded expression of individualism or angst.

Perhaps you don't agree with Shrier's conclusions. I think she has a lot of great points. I've even run into some questionable young "female to male trans" people on social media -- ones who were born female, present female, and act female, but somehow identify as male. When I've politely questioned how exactly they're trans if every aspect of them seems to match their birth gender, I've been told to shut up, and that a "boomer male" like me simply can't understand.

Anyway, that's not the point of this post. The main point is that Shrier has been censored.

Target took it off the shelves after SJWs hassled them about it:

https://twitter.com/AskTarget/status/1326988559421759488

It wasn't just Target. Amazon agreed to carry the book, but wouldn't allow Shrier to place ads for it. When she appeared on Rogan to promote the book, there were reportedly 10 different meetings among Spotify employees in an attempt to take that episode offline. Every large newspaper and magazine refused to publish any reviews of the book -- good or bad. Gofundme also cancelled a campaign (started by supportive third parties) to fund promotion of the book in its early days.

Thanks to her appearance on Rogan and Megyn Kelly's show, Shrier's book sold fairly well anyway. However, she decided to write a blog about the cancel culture which tried to suppress her book from being read, and how the left has tied itself so closely to the extreme trans movement that all common sense has been abandoned. Here's the blog: https://quillette.com/2020/11/07/gen...-helping-them/

Can anyone defend this? This is not a right-wing book. The author is not Christian, to my knowledge. It does not rail against trans people or transitioning. It supports the right to transition by adults who feel gender dysphoria. It simply makes a respectful and well-reasoned case that white middle-class teen girls have always been on the angsty and irrational side, and that jumping the gun to a course of life-altering hormones and surgery isn't the right move when your 16-year-old suddenly says she feels like a boy.

Should Target take this book off the shelves? Should Amazon refuse to run ads for it? Should legacy media refuse to allow journalists to review it? Should Gofundme have stopped the fundraiser for the book's promotion?
    A more insidious result is the ability to lower the number of fertile females to shrink or reverse population growth which is the ultimate goal of these technocrats and far leftists. The goal is to shrink global population to their sustainable goal of 1B maybe slightly less. This Keeps up it’ll be Logan’s Run in another 100yrs or less.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Wow, this book has caused some serious damage per the Twitter account of American Booksellers Association @ABAbook
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
    Wow, this book has caused some serious damage per the Twitter account of American Booksellers Association @ABAbook
    “LGBTQIA+”? I had just gotten used to using “LGBTQ” instead of “LGBT”! Can’t someone come up with an all inclusive term instead of the ever-expanding collection of letters? If this keeps up much longer, we’re gonna need to start borrowing some letters from another alphabet!
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Thread Information