Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Cancel Culture Files: Abigail Shrier's book questioning the meteoric rise of transgender teen girls gets canceled by major comapanies

Puts His Dick in the Mashed Potatoes
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rum dick View Post

The whole I'm a genius psychiatrist who was prescribed valium and got addicted because I didn't know hardly anything about valium and was just following my doctor's orders excuse doesn't pass the smell test. He's a psychiatrist who presumably prescribed valium to his patients before.

Btw Google the story about his daughter having a hip replacement when she was a teenager because she had a misdiagnosed food allergy. Wtf?

He's weird. His family is weird.

If he got some lazy millennial males to leave their basements and grow up, then bless him.
    Well, he's a psychologist, not a psychiatrist, so that's not quite as bad. I did, however, wonder the same thing as you. How could he not have been aware of the dangers of taking the pills at that frequency?

I think he was probably aware, but was a mess and kept doing it.

I will say that some doctors will prescribe benzos for everyday use. It's bizarre. I've had conversations with people who were told it was okay to do this, and I kept insisting to them that they were making a huge mistake. You really should let 72 hours pass after each usage of benzos, or otherwise you're taking a big addiction risk, and it can come on very quickly.

Has he ever said how much he was abusing per day?

I was on prescribed daily valium for 2-3 years because of neck thing. It's a blast because it does help with pain. I decided to quit taking it because I read that valium increases Alzheimer's risk. I was crabby for day or two. That was the totality of my comedown.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Back on topic.

Remember when the ACLU stood for the right to free speech?

Um.........not anymore.

Chase Strangio, the ACLU's deputy director for transgender justice, had this to say on Twitter:

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Strangio
    Abigail Shrier’s book is a dangerous polemic with a goal of making people not trans.

I think of all the times & ways I was told my transness wasn’t real & the daily toll it takes. We have to fight these ideas which are leading to the criminalization of trans life again.

Stopping the circulation of this book and these ideas is 100% a hill I will die on.

Can I link that tweet? No, I can't. Why? Because Strangio has since protected his tweets, after the backlash.

But here's an article Shrier wrote in the Wall Street Journal about the situation: https://www.wsj.com/articles/does-th...ok-11605475898

Target has returned the book to its shelves, also due to the backlash.

I totally trust the left to decide what I can read and not read on social media. They would never abuse their powers to censor.

Comments

dwai: ridiculous

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Meet Grace Lavery, a transgender professor at UC Berkeley, drawing a state paycheck.

https://english.berkeley.edu/profiles/386

She has instructed people to steal Shrier's book and burn it in this tweet:

https://twitter.com/graceelavery/status/1327743400553172997

https://twitter.com/graceelavery/status/1327746546851524608

I love that my tax dollars are supporting this freak. Why does she still have a job? Oh, I forgot, it's Berkeley. Totally normal behavior there now. Remember when Berkeley was all about free speech? Ah, the good ol' days!

The left apparently supports the complete censorship of books they don't agree with, as well as actual theft and burning of said books.

How many true, free-speech-loving liberals are out there criticizing this? None that I see. All of them are too terrified of the woke left.

PARTY OF SCIENCE AND LOGIC AND FREE SPEECH, Y'ALL!! NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT WITH THESE INTELLECTUALS IN CHARGE!

Load Metric
    Meet Grace Laverly, a transgender professor at UC Berkeley, drawing a state paycheck.

https://english.berkeley.edu/profiles/386

She has instructed people to steal Shrier's book and burn it in this tweet:

https://twitter.com/graceelavery/status/1327743400553172997

https://twitter.com/graceelavery/status/1327746546851524608

I love that my tax dollars are supporting this freak. Why does she still have a job? Oh, I forgot, it's Berkeley. Totally normal behavior there now. Remember when Berkeley was all about free speech? Ah, the good ol' days!

The left apparently supports the complete censorship of books they don't agree with, as well as actual theft and burning of said books.

How many true, free-speech-loving liberals are out there criticizing this? None that I see. All of them are too terrified of the woke left.

PARTY OF SCIENCE AND LOGIC AND FREE SPEECH, Y'ALL!! NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT WITH THESE INTELLECTUALS IN CHARGE!
    in before pfa liberals say "but no one supports this"

Load Metric
    Children need to be raised and guided by loving PARENTS. They learn from you, not from disgusting media driven agendas.

That’s why you have a bunch of messed up kids, and youth joining poker forums too young and later turning straight men gay.

This country is most definitely fucked and if the right doesn’t stay strong it will all be over.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by dwai View Post
    If I had to guess I'd say the left is fairly fractured on this one. The closer you get to the center the more these pro-trans sentiments vanish. But even some on the far left reject it. Trans Exclusionary Radical Femnism is quite a large movement these days, JK Rowling being a famous proponent.

I feel like the pendulum is poised to swing the other way here. Trans women are getting increasingly comfortable encroaching on the rights of real women and most of them have severe mental illness.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Sanchez View Post
    If I had to guess I'd say the left is fairly fractured on this one. The closer you get to the center the more these pro-trans sentiments vanish. But even some on the far left reject it. Trans Exclusionary Radical Femnism is quite a large movement these days, JK Rowling being a famous proponent.

I feel like the pendulum is poised to swing the other way here. Trans women are getting increasingly comfortable encroaching on the rights of real women and most of them have severe mental illness.
    I fully agree with everything said here

Platinum
    Load Metric

“REAL women”....how could you?

That Berkeley prof is going to instruct Cartoon Network to pull your show.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Given name Joseph...2019 salary was $96K from Berkeley.

I am friends with a couple Profs in the UC system and they each pull over $370K...damn...should have become a prof.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

The TERF movement is big in Europe, but hasn't hit the US for the most part. Not sure why. JK Rowling isn't even a TERF, but she was pigeonholed into accused of being one because she isn't friendly to the extreme trans movement going on presently.

I agree that the center-left and even some non-crazy far leftists don't support this crap. However, most are afraid to speak up, because they get attacked and shouted down as bigots.

Like it or not, that's the current state of the Democratic Party. It has very much become like a fanatical religion, where anyone perceived to say anything slightly blasphemous is ousted.

Interestingly, this is almost identical to what happened to the American Communist Party in the 1950s. It lost some members in the Hollywood community because of its demand for full ideological compliance. Meta Rosenberg, a Hollywood producer who was once a member of that party, said, "The minute you disagree, they begin to call you names, and this is a form of intimidation, this is a form of fear." This was in 1951. Seventy years later, we are seeing the exact same thing.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Like it or not, that's the current state of the Democratic Party. It has very much become like a fanatical religion, where anyone perceived to say anything slightly blasphemous is ousted.
    That's not entirely true. As a liberal you're not going to get cancelled for disagreeing on gun control, environmentalism, religious beliefs, etc.

The trans thing is different because it falls under the umbrella of bigotry.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Democrats feel too much and think too little.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Republicans don't care enough and don't care who knows it.

Load Metric
    ill tell you what worries me most about the teen trans situation.

there is absolutely no informed opinion one can take on it until these teens either grow up or flame out.

its going to be a decade of this kind of nervous, wincing support bolstered by hysterical witch hunting for anyone who doesnt not just condone but promote the notion that this is all Totally Healthy And Right.

in a decade we can crunch numbers and ingest testimonials and make an informed decision on whether or not this experiment was the right thing to do.

and the only thing thats going to change that timeline would be an appalling number of very sad, very confused teenagers dying or ending up institutionalized.

so yeah until then, the best we can do is just raise eyebrows and let this fire burn itself out while starting a gofundme to pay for sidedish's chapstick fund.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Abigail Shrier noticed a disturbing trend in the mid-2010s involving teenage girls:

A shocking number of them were declaring themselves transgender. They were then demanding to get hormones and breast-removal surgeries, without enough time, counseling, or questions if these permanent alterations were advisable.

These were not young adults -- they were adolescent girls, many of whom showed no sign of gender dysphoria in the past.

Upon studying the matter, Shrier noticed the following:

1) While a sizable number of boys have had gender dysphoria throughout modern human history, it had always been much less common for girls, even during times when transitioning was taboo for both genders. However, in the mid-2010s, right around the time it started being regarded as "cool" to be trans, a shocking number of teen girls declared themselves transgender.

2) The majority of teen girls in the past who felt some form of gender dysphoria grew out of it by their 20s, and no longer felt any desire to transition.

3) Medical professionals have been rubber-stamping ill-advised transitions of teens, for fear of being labeled "transphobic", even in cases where the girl abruptly identified as trans with no real indicators that the feelings were likely to be permanent.

4) Parents have been browbeaten into supporting these rash transitions, as teenagers have threatened suicide or other dire consequences if they're not allowed to do so. Spineless psychologists and psychiatrists have supported these abrupt transitions, making it even tougher for parents to say no.

5) Most of the teen girls expressing the desire to transition have been white and middle-to-upper class. This same demographic used to express angst through self-harm and eating disorders in previous decades. Now these harmful behaviors are on the decline, but female-to-male transitioning seems to have replaced it.

Has anyone else noticed there are no alarm bells ringing re: teens demanding sex operations
    besides the author in question?

Doesn't seem to be an issue except with an author of a book and some others.
    Getting a book published does not mean your findings are peer reviewed.

Two things in closing. Transgender ism is not acting out. And no teen is paying for
    any thing in that direction. So shut the fuck up

Load Metric
    Saw druff referring to book burning in the other thread, came here, saw the tweets, and decided to look it up, because it didn't exactly read like a call to arms.

Here's her whole tweet thread, which goes in a lot of directions, and its all on one page

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...505218560.html

As for burning books, this is probably the most relevant tweet

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Saw druff referring to book burning in the other thread, came here, saw the tweets, and decided to look it up, because it didn't exactly read like a call to arms.

Here's her whole tweet thread, which goes in a lot of directions, and its all on one page

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...505218560.html

As for burning books, this is probably the most relevant tweet

This is your typical "you misunderstood me" backpedaling when under the hot spotlight. "What I REALLY meant was..."

Yeah, right.

And even if she didn't mean it literally, the haughty condescension in her subsequent tweets (in your link above) are really, really off-putting.

Summary: "I'm smart, you're stupid, I didn't really meant to burn the book even though I said you should burn the book, and you're totally stupid for thinking so. The book is dangerous and harmful and shouldn't be available for anyone to read, but I totally didn't really mean it should be burnt, and you're stupid to even consider that. Oh, and the author of the book is a Nazi because she's against teenage girls without any gender dysphoria doing life-changing gender reassignment on a whim. Oh, and I'm smarter than you."

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BTW, it's clear she really was asking for the books to be burnt. Her initial clarification tweet (scroll up to see it) didn't say "LOL GUYS! I wasn't serious! Please don't burn books!"

Instead, she rationalized it this way: "Remember: all you’re doing is removing a commodity from circulation—much as one might destroy a contaminated crop, or take action if a distributor failed to do so."

Basically she's saying that you're not destroying the original work, you're simply stealing and destroying copies, so this dangerous material keeps out of circulation. The justification is that the distributor of the book should have refused to distribute it, so you're just doing the job they should have done.

Does that sound like a joke or intentional exaggeration? Nobody rationalizes like that when they're making absurd statements just to get a reaction.

Obviously this freak wanted people to steal and destroy copies of a book which she found offensive, and now is trying to massage it into everyone being too dumb to understand that she was just trying to call attention to the book's harmfulness.

In reality, she realizes that cushy jobs like college professor don't come easily, and heaven forbid you be forced out into the real world where you can't behave this way at work.

Load Metric

I can't say enough how much I agree with Bill here. In fact I meant to post that clip myself.

I'm opposed to cancel culture, censorship and political correctness. But it must be acknowledged, that there are many people who want to discriminate, shame and bully gay and trans people, take away their right to marry, etc., and that's not acceptable either. It's an adult's right and freedom to be who they are. (Children are a different story, that's fucked.) If the right had its way the evangelicals would determine our policy on this, and even on matters of straight sexuality like birth control. Part of the reason the trans activists are so vocal is because the difficulties they face are real, and much of the right wants it that way. The best thing for everyone would be to meet in the middle. The right agrees to live and let live and not make an issue out of adults' gender identity and sexuality, and the left curbs the excesses of trans/queer/whatever activism and above all stops this fucking cancel culture mob mentality. Same for all of the "culture war" wedge issues that politicians use to divide people. They're all a bunch of horseshit that distracts us from serious issues.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Thread Information