Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Cancel Culture Files: Abigail Shrier's book questioning the meteoric rise of transgender teen girls gets canceled by major comapanies

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

The Cancel Culture Files: Abigail Shrier's book questioning the meteoric rise of transgender teen girls gets canceled by major comapanies

Abigail Shrier noticed a disturbing trend in the mid-2010s involving teenage girls:

A shocking number of them were declaring themselves transgender. They were then demanding to get hormones and breast-removal surgeries, without enough time, counseling, or questions if these permanent alterations were advisable.

These were not young adults -- they were adolescent girls, many of whom showed no sign of gender dysphoria in the past.

Upon studying the matter, Shrier noticed the following:

1) While a sizable number of boys have had gender dysphoria throughout modern human history, it had always been much less common for girls, even during times when transitioning was taboo for both genders. However, in the mid-2010s, right around the time it started being regarded as "cool" to be trans, a shocking number of teen girls declared themselves transgender.

2) The majority of teen girls in the past who felt some form of gender dysphoria grew out of it by their 20s, and no longer felt any desire to transition.

3) Medical professionals have been rubber-stamping ill-advised transitions of teens, for fear of being labeled "transphobic", even in cases where the girl abruptly identified as trans with no real indicators that the feelings were likely to be permanent.

4) Parents have been browbeaten into supporting these rash transitions, as teenagers have threatened suicide or other dire consequences if they're not allowed to do so. Spineless psychologists and psychiatrists have supported these abrupt transitions, making it even tougher for parents to say no.

5) Most of the teen girls expressing the desire to transition have been white and middle-to-upper class. This same demographic used to express angst through self-harm and eating disorders in previous decades. Now these harmful behaviors are on the decline, but female-to-male transitioning seems to have replaced it.

Simply put, Shrier does NOT believe that the recent increased acceptance of trans people allowed huge numbers of teen girls to finally express their gender dysphoria safely. Instead, she felt that the media's glamorizing of it has caused teen girls to grab onto the trans identity as a wrongheaded expression of individualism or angst.

Perhaps you don't agree with Shrier's conclusions. I think she has a lot of great points. I've even run into some questionable young "female to male trans" people on social media -- ones who were born female, present female, and act female, but somehow identify as male. When I've politely questioned how exactly they're trans if every aspect of them seems to match their birth gender, I've been told to shut up, and that a "boomer male" like me simply can't understand.

Anyway, that's not the point of this post. The main point is that Shrier has been censored.

Target took it off the shelves after SJWs hassled them about it:

https://twitter.com/AskTarget/status/1326988559421759488

It wasn't just Target. Amazon agreed to carry the book, but wouldn't allow Shrier to place ads for it. When she appeared on Rogan to promote the book, there were reportedly 10 different meetings among Spotify employees in an attempt to take that episode offline. Every large newspaper and magazine refused to publish any reviews of the book -- good or bad. Gofundme also cancelled a campaign (started by supportive third parties) to fund promotion of the book in its early days.

Thanks to her appearance on Rogan and Megyn Kelly's show, Shrier's book sold fairly well anyway. However, she decided to write a blog about the cancel culture which tried to suppress her book from being read, and how the left has tied itself so closely to the extreme trans movement that all common sense has been abandoned. Here's the blog: https://quillette.com/2020/11/07/gen...-helping-them/

Can anyone defend this? This is not a right-wing book. The author is not Christian, to my knowledge. It does not rail against trans people or transitioning. It supports the right to transition by adults who feel gender dysphoria. It simply makes a respectful and well-reasoned case that white middle-class teen girls have always been on the angsty and irrational side, and that jumping the gun to a course of life-altering hormones and surgery isn't the right move when your 16-year-old suddenly says she feels like a boy.

Should Target take this book off the shelves? Should Amazon refuse to run ads for it? Should legacy media refuse to allow journalists to review it? Should Gofundme have stopped the fundraiser for the book's promotion?

Comments

splitthis: The devil loves confusion, comapanies says it all

Load Metric
    Damn, I was just about to read that

Comments

shoeshine box:
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PLOL View Post
    Damn, I was just about to read that
    You still can!

https://www.amazon.com/Irreversible-...7/ref=sr_1_1?k

4.5 stars out of 850 reviews, too!

Load Metric
    I watched her interview a month ago. She’s by no means a transphobe. She is very supportive of the movement. I agreed with her conclusions, or at least found them worthy of consideration. That’s a shame they caved. It’s not the type of work that movement should take issue with imo.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Ironically the trans community has morphed into a very ugly anti-woman movement.

I think most of them are mentally ill.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Your pretty hung up on this topic eh Druff? Are you trying to hide in plane site?
    It's weird that an extreme minority/percentage of people has you bound up?

They're never going to challenge your white fat ass republican status.

So leave them alone. Pick on somebody your own size you walrus

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Sanchez View Post
    Ironically the trans community has morphed into a very ugly anti-woman movement.

I think most of them are mentally ill.
    There's actually a big battle going on between lesbians and the trans movement, but it's mostly taking place in Europe, so we don't hear about it as much over here.

Basically lesbians feel that "trans lesbians" (aka straight dudes who become female) are forcing their way into lesbian spaces, and accuse the lesbians of transphobia when they complain.

Interestingly, lesbians are also on Shrier's side regarding her book. They feel that a lot of young lesbians are being socially pressured to declare themselves trans, and to become males rather than stay female lesbians. They've claimed this is "lesbian erasure", and like Shrier, they believe a lot of this is due to societal trends rather than true gender dysphoria.

Transsexuals have existed for decades, and nobody thought of them very often until the 2010s. However, once the extreme left declared trans people a victim class -- and then invented 72 genders for one to identify as -- the whole thing morphed into pure insanity.

This is all part of a trend over the past decade to vilify "casting judgment". It ignores the fact that casting judgment is often a good thing, and is in fact necessary for us to do several times per day in order to navigate life. If you get to the point of rubber-stamping support of every insane idea in order to appear "tolerant", you're actually hurting the groups you're trying to help.

Load Metric
    fyi, there are lots of happy, healthy, transgender people that are living pretty ordinary lives.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    fyi, there are lots of happy, healthy, transgender people that are living pretty ordinary lives.
    That was the case for decades, though.

It's all of the recent BS which has given rise to the crap described in this book.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    pretty obv dude is afraid

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    pretty obv dude is afraid
    Who is afraid? Me?

Nah, I have no reason to fear people transitioning. Doesn't bother me at all, as long as they are making an informed decision, have let enough time pass to be sure, and are adults when they do it.

I am bothered by the cancel culture thing. Speech suppression can take many forms. It doesn't have to be done by the government to be censorship. I was anti-censorship in college, when such a position was considered left-friendly. Today I'm still anti-censorship, and now that view is right-friendly. I've been consistent. Anything which furthers censorship is something I can't support.

Load Metric
    Dr. Debra Soh also discusses her concern over young females making this serious decision.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I've even run into some questionable young "female to male trans" people on social media -- ones who were born female, present female, and act female, but somehow identify as male. When I've politely questioned how exactly they're trans if every aspect of them seems to match their birth gender, I've been told to shut up, and that a "boomer male" like me simply can't understand.

You sure spend a lot of time on social media.

But hoenstly, I don't give a fuck about the trans community and living in Portland has actually made me less open-minded.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Puts His Dick in the Mashed Potatoes
    Load Metric
    Saw more than one link to Joe Rogan's podcast and am backing away slowly from this thread before I see someone babble about Jordan Peterson...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by rum dick View Post
    Saw more than one link to Joe Rogan's podcast and am backing away slowly from this thread before I see someone babble about Jordan Peterson...
    Poor Jordan Peterson has gone through some hard times lately. Pray for him.

Comments

rum dick: I'm out

Load Metric

Dude needs to clean his room, stop popping benzos and enjoy the fruits of his multimillion dollar gift.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Dude needs to clean his room, stop popping benzos and enjoy the fruits of his multimillion dollar gift.
    I've actually been fascinated by his plight. He really had a good thing going, but apparently wasn't someone who was quite ready for all the pressures that come with fame -- especially fame for being somewhat of a spokesman for one political side, which he kept insisting he wasn't.

I know the major catalyst to his benzo abuse was the stress of his wife having cancer, which of course would be highly stressful and depressing for anyone. What followed was an unfortunate tale of medical quackery and bad decisions in attempt to fix other bad decisions. The fact that he seems somewhat influenced by his batshit crazy daughter doesn't seem to be helping matters.

He actually seems like a good guy. Loyal to his wife. Everyone who has ever worked with him at the university has had good things to say about him. Seemed to honestly want to express his real views, even once he got famous. Just made a serious of bad personal life decisions which put him in a mess.

Comments

rum dick: His daughter is a froop loop

Load Metric

I've actually been fascinated by his plight. He really had a good thing going, but apparently wasn't someone who was quite ready for all the pressures that come with fame -- especially fame for being somewhat of a spokesman for one political side, which he kept insisting he wasn't.

I know the major catalyst to his benzo abuse was the stress of his wife having cancer, which of course would be highly stressful and depressing for anyone. What followed was an unfortunate tale of medical quackery and bad decisions in attempt to fix other bad decisions. The fact that he seems somewhat influenced by his batshit crazy daughter doesn't seem to be helping matters.

He actually seems like a good guy. Loyal to his wife. Everyone who has ever worked with him at the university has had good things to say about him. Seemed to honestly want to express his real views, even once he got famous. Just made a serious of bad personal life decisions which put him in a mess.
    The whole I'm a genius psychiatrist who was prescribed valium and got addicted because I didn't know hardly anything about valium and was just following my doctor's orders excuse doesn't pass the smell test. He's a psychiatrist who presumably prescribed valium to his patients before.

Btw Google the story about his daughter having a hip replacement when she was a teenager because she had a misdiagnosed food allergy. Wtf?

He's weird. His family is weird.

If he got some lazy millennial males to leave their basements and grow up, then bless him.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

The whole I'm a genius psychiatrist who was prescribed valium and got addicted because I didn't know hardly anything about valium and was just following my doctor's orders excuse doesn't pass the smell test. He's a psychiatrist who presumably prescribed valium to his patients before.

Btw Google the story about his daughter having a hip replacement when she was a teenager because she had a misdiagnosed food allergy. Wtf?

If he got some lazy millennial males to leave their basements and grow up, then bless him.
    Well, he's a psychologist, not a psychiatrist, so that's not quite as bad. I did, however, wonder the same thing as you. How could he not have been aware of the dangers of taking the pills at that frequency?

I think he was probably aware, but was a mess and kept doing it.

I will say that some doctors will prescribe benzos for everyday use. It's bizarre. I've had conversations with people who were told it was okay to do this, and I kept insisting to them that they were making a huge mistake. You really should let 72 hours pass after each usage of benzos, or otherwise you're taking a big addiction risk, and it can come on very quickly.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Totally agree. He's a clinical psychologist but still this is 2018 and we have google.

Even funnier is his trans continental effort to be weaned off benzo's.
    That is side splitting. Benzo withdrawal is no picnic but you don't die
    Talk to any opiate addict about detoxing "naturally"
    This guy is wacked if he thought the Ukraine was his best option

It must be a right wing hysteria thing

Thread Information