Thread: SCOTUS Thoughts?

Banned
    Load Metric

SCOTUS Thoughts?

There's been a lot of hysteria among liberals about Trump's appointees to the Supreme Court. I'm curious if anyone here follows their cases closely or has any background in constitutional law. It seems that these concerns about Kavanaugh and Gorsuch rubberstamping Republican policy were way overblown. There have been a number of recent rulings that pissed off the president, and just yesterday Kavanaugh indicated that he's not interested in abolishing Obamacare.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/10/polit...ays/index.html

Time will tell how objective or partisan Amy Coney Barret is. I've been hearing a lot of panic from Democrats about a 6-3 court stealing the election. I was somewhat concerned about this when RGB died, but having looked into it more I think that's highly unlikely to happen. It also seems that this idea of adding seats and packing the court is unnecessary and would likely backfire in the long run.

I would be interested to hear opinions from anyone that follows this stuff.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Sanchez View Post
    There's been a lot of hysteria among liberals about Trump's appointees to the Supreme Court. I'm curious if anyone here follows their cases closely or has any background in constitutional law. It seems that these concerns about Kavanaugh and Gorsuch rubberstamping Republican policy were way overblown. There have been a number of recent rulings that pissed off the president, and just yesterday Kavanaugh indicated that he's not interested in abolishing Obamacare.

Time will tell how objective or partisan Amy Coney Barret is. I've been hearing a lot of panic from Democrats about a 6-3 court stealing the election. I was somewhat concerned about this when RGB died, but having looked into it more I think that's highly unlikely to happen. It also seems that this idea of adding seats and packing the court is unnecessary and would likely backfire in the long run.

wish I had a Supreme Court derangement syndrome gif

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by dwai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Sanchez View Post

We don't need that GIF here. The take is reasonable.

This is all correct. The election isn't going to be stolen by the court.

Roe v Wade also isn't going to be overturned.

The left used this hysteria to try to get people whipped up to vote for Biden. It remains to be seen if they pack the court in order to punish the GOP for adding Barrett. I agree it would backfire if they did, and they're likely weighing the pros and cons of it. The court will remain 6-3 for awhile. With Biden winning, they've got a tough situation, because Breyer is old, but the Republican Senate may stand in the way of confirming nominees to replace him.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

The left used this hysteria to try to get people whipped up to vote for Biden. It remains to be seen if they pack the court in order to punish the GOP for adding Barrett. I agree it would backfire if they did, and they're likely weighing the pros and cons of it. The court will remain 6-3 for awhile. With Biden winning, they've got a tough situation, because Breyer is old, but the Republican Senate may stand in the way of confirming nominees to replace him.
    This is exactly why the court should be packed, which should be done when the democrats control he WH plus both houses of congress, hopefully this year but likely not until 2022. Any time the WH and senate are in different hands not judicial nominations will go through.

As an alternative, it should be made clear that any partisan/asshole rulings by the current court would be met with a pack, and have it hanging over their heads, like FDR did.

Rick Sanchez: certainly the 6 Republican nominees are not monolithic, but don't be too quick to say they're reasonable and/or nonpartisan. They won't steal the election for Trump and they may not overturn Roe or the ACA but they have a long-term goal of undoing much of the progress made since the Warren Court and that is well underway. They are particularly hostile to voting rights, regulation and attempts to make our society more equitable along race/gender/sexuality lines, and they will chip away at Roe until it exists on paper only and a majority of states have no access to abortion at all.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I'm a constitutional law lawyer, but I do not play one on TV.

Barret is ideological but is well qualified. Ds shouldn't attack her resume, just the process, Garland blocked, she fast tracked.

Trump got lucky to appoint three in one term. Or maybe RBG was dumb not to resign 4 years ago.

As far as packing the court goes, fine- 9 is just a number. 7 is a number, as is 11. Good luck getting that through the Senate. But nothing limits the SCT to 9 justices. And with the workload, more is fine. Acting like packing the court is a third rail is dumb, too. Term limits for SCT is the solution- 16 year terms, staggered, each president appoints 2 or 3 each term. or whatever. Current model is dumb.

I am supremely liberal, too, and I appreciate almost all of Druff's conservative rants. He is intelligent, and its good to hear that perspective. Our lives are so insular- no one talks to or listens to the other side. Lay off attacking women for having sex, though, please.

Tigerpiper

Comments

Rick Sanchez:

Walter Sobchak: Awesome, post more

sonatine: good shit

Load Metric
    So, I while I am not a Constitutional Lawyer, I used to be a full time litigator many years ago. I did take several Constitutional law classes back in Law school. One was with Bruce Rogow, who was representing 2 Live Crew, during the semester I took his class. I also had another Constitutional Law class with John Anderson, the man who ran as an independent back in the day and got around 8% of the vote and basically had to sue his way on to the ballot in each and every state. I had another in Florida Con Law where we learned what a scam the Florida Lottery is..(hint...no money actually goes to education) .etc....

The funny thing is that most of the commentary you hear on CNN, FOX etc., seems to be way off base from reality. The ACA (Obamacare) isn't going anywhere, and never was going to be overturned. Chief Justice Roberts went out of his way to creatively (A nice way of saying it was pure bullshit) reach to save it back in 2012. So much so that the Justice Kennedy(now retired) basically called him a Pussy in his dissenting opinion. There is no fucking way he's going to let it get overturned this time. The reasoning he gives doesn't matter. It's just window dressing. The other justices know that if they don't go along there will be Torches and Pitchforks outside the Chambers en mass if they take away health care from tens of millions of people. Plus the Chief Justice has always tried to shield the court from being political pawns. The major networks just put out bullshit stories to whip people up in a frenzy.

As for the "Court Packing", it ain't going to happen. Sen Manchin already said he's against it. Even if the Dems win both Georgia seats in a runoff, they can't do it without Sen Manchin. This changing of all the traditional norms was changed by Harry Ried (eliminating filibuster for some votes) and now the Dems are threatening to do it again. (Harry Reid was also directly responsible for Black Friday, as a returned favor to Sheldon Adelson, but that's a story for another thread).

Comments

sonatine: good shit

SrslySirius:

Load Metric
    its worth noting that whether or not its realistic to have concerns about roe v wade, repealing/reversing it and going after abortion is the cornerstone of every marquis right wing conservative position.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Platinum
    Load Metric

The GOP will not stand in the way, Biden most likely won’t be a lame duck when he retires.

RBG should have retired.

Load Metric

The Dems were just playing catch-up with the Republicans, who successfully whipped up support among evangelicals for Trump in 2016 by having Trump loudly proclaim that he would only nominate judges to the Supreme Court who would overturn Roe v. Wade.

So, yeah. The Dems finally figured out how to beat the GOP with their own scaremongering tactic. But I am totally convinced that they would have failed at doing so if Trump hadn’t completely fucked up handling COVID.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

The Dems were just playing catch-up with the Republicans, who successfully whipped up support among evangelicals for Trump in 2016 by having Trump loudly proclaim that he would only nominate judges to the Supreme Court who would overturn Roe v. Wade.

So, yeah. The Dems finally figured out how to beat the GOP with their own scaremongering tactic. But I am totally convinced that they would have failed at doing so if Trump hadn’t completely fucked up handling COVID.
    Name:  OnlyAdorableAoudad-small (1).gif
Views: 119
Size:  621.7 KB

Comments

blake:

Thread Information