Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Russian hack

Load Metric

Russian hack

Came here to read sonatines take and sadly don’t see anything. What’s going on and how freaked out should we be?

Load Metric
    considering you're Canadian, I wouldn't worry, fag

Comments

Tellafriend: Dammmmn.

big dick: LOL

Load Metric
    so let me put it like this.

the backdoor has a command/control function that performs a DNS lookup and depending on the response, will either execute or self destruct.

meaning cozy bear had so many networks compromised, their top priority was weeding out low-value targets.

the good news is that a lot of networks have their most sensitive data behind several layers of controls. like honestly i doubt they got very far into the department of energys network. CIA has all their heavy classified shit on like, a totally isolated network as well, same with NSA. so its just not super likely they managed to jump in to those network segments.

however.

there was a briefing today and the one comment presented when it was done was 'this was much worse than people know'.

so yeah i mean, when i see people saying this is the single worst act of espionage in the history of our nation, i have to say they might not be lying.

Comments

BetCheckBet:
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    also the only reason this got rumbled was fireeye chasing down their breach.

if not for them, this could have gone on for years.

which calls into question; how the fuck did no one find this backdoor until fireeye?

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    ill post more info as i get it, im particularly curious about the timeline on the compromise of the build server at solarwinds, and to what extent the microsoft hack was utilized as well.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Trump moved cyber security budget to pay for his wall before major hacking assault

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1776007.html
    Wow, where have I heard this story before? Something about dismantling a pandemic response team in 2018...

Who was it on this forum who keeps saying stuff like "He may not act like a perfect gentleman, but he's good on policy and that's why I vote for him"

Comments

sonatine: the hits keep coming

MumblesBadly: What’s the over/under on Druff claiming this breach doesn’t amount to much?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Sanchez View Post
    Trump moved cyber security budget to pay for his wall before major hacking assault

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1776007.html
    Wow, where have I heard this story before? Something about dismantling a pandemic response team in 2018...

Who was it on this forum who keeps saying stuff like "He may not act like a perfect gentleman, but he's good on policy and that's why I vote for him"

Name:  OnlyAdorableAoudad-small (1).gif
Views: 244
Size:  621.7 KB

Load Metric
    Like the pandemic, it's not originally Orange Cuck's fault but he made it worse with incompetence.

Maybe there's a reason money is allocated to things like cybersecurity and it should not be just shifted over to the wall without thinking through the consequences.

Ironically the Russians have done more damage without setting foot in the country than all the Mexicans who would be stopped by a wall.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Banned
    Load Metric
    I'm sure sonatine and Druff understand this better than most: when safeguards are working, nobody notices. You only notice when a lack of security leads to failure.

This happens all the times in companies with incompetent management. "Why am I paying all these IT people? They're not producing anything!"

So you cut corners until something catastrophic happens, then you close the barn door with the horses already out.

Load Metric
    literally said this to my therapist yesterday, re employment anxiety;

'when no one breaks into your network, they wonder why they are paying you. and when someone breaks into your network, they wonder why they are paying you.'

Comments

Sanlmar: My precious

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    literally said this to my therapist yesterday, re employment anxiety;

'when no one breaks into your network, they wonder why they are paying you. and when someone breaks into your network, they wonder why they are paying you.'
    I was a contractor walking through TJX Framingham IT just after their hack. One of the first big breaches. They were simultaneously stars and bums.

They were pretty clueless on the hardware side.

Load Metric
    speaking of hardware, people are seriously contemplating the need to physically replace routers / switches / etc.

like there is real concern that they are literally burrowed in that deep to the infrastructure.

Load Metric
    in before they find out cisco was popped too.

Load Metric
    i swear to fucking god, i just tabbed to a war room and saw this:

"Cisco is committed to transparency. Following the announcement of the SolarWinds Orion Platform software attack, the Cisco Security team immediately began our established incident response processes to address the issue quickly and thoroughly. While Cisco does not use SolarWinds Orion for its enterprise network management or monitoring, we have identified and mitigated affected software in a small number of lab environments and a limited number of employee endpoints. At this time, there is no known impact to Cisco offers or products. We continue to investigate all aspects of this evolving situation with the highest priority." – Cisco Spokesperson

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    Came here to read sonatines take and sadly don’t see anything. What’s going on and how freaked out should we be?
    You scared me. With the threat title, I thought the Russians got into PFA again.

Load Metric

cool cool

someone should get krebs on this oh right trump fired him for refusing to pretend the election was compromised.

Load Metric
    speaking of hardware, people are seriously contemplating the need to physically replace routers / switches / etc.

like there is real concern that they are literally burrowed in that deep to the infrastructure.
    And if the equipment is Huawei, you know it is reporting everything back to the Chinese government, or at least is capable of doing so on demand from the CCP. The anti-Huawei campaign is one of the few things Trump has done that I approve of, though even that hasn't been done very well.

Load Metric

cool cool

someone should get krebs on this oh right trump fired him for refusing to pretend the election was compromised.
    I see Cam City in there. Looks like someone got a free strip show.

Load Metric
    Well, atleast we know it wasnt this guy...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Sanchez View Post
    I'm sure sonatine and Druff understand this better than most: when safeguards are working, nobody notices. You only notice when a lack of security leads to failure.

This happens all the times in companies with incompetent management. "Why am I paying all these IT people? They're not producing anything!"

So you cut corners until something catastrophic happens, then you close the barn door with the horses already out.
    I've been saying this for years about election fraud, though, and the left has laughed at me.

I say, "Don't leave gaping holes in election security, including many which are difficult/impossible to detect when breaches occur, and then state 'There's no evidence we have a voter fraud problem.' That's not how security is supposed to work."

Yet we still have many on the left who feel that, until we have a proven major incidence of voter fraud, it's fine for security to be weak. Because racism or something.

Regarding this particular hack, I don't think that budgetary cuts for cybersecurity are/were smart. However, these hacks are often not a function of budget, but rather of competence/incompetence.

For example, Twitter is definitely not under-budgeted, yet their horrendous (and dangerous) blue check-mark hack occurred due to a simple matter of social engineering.

I think there's a good chance money wasn't the difference maker here.

Thread Information