Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Glock pistol owners here.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Remember this vid Druff posted awhile back when he went to a gun range with desertrunner?

Well, check out out this vid and guess how it’s relevant to what you see in Druff’s vid here.

so you should just practice without aiming got it

this was years ago so hopefully he has more range time, but druff's issue is his hands don't work together

could be he is using a gun he is not familiar with though, but his left hand seems awkward and not really sure what it should be doing
    That day, things didnt go smooth as I picked the wrong range and it just didnt roll out smooth as usual. Druff was learning the pistol and will be an expert soon with more range time. I also recommend he gets professional training in the future, I recommend the 2 day course at Front Site in Pahrump, NV as I went there and had a good time and learned alot. I'll say here what I told Druff, once he gets more basics down and get some training, he will be pretty lethal and proficient, I think he has it and we ALL started from point 1. Druff will be an expert in the future, I see it.

I thought Druff said it was his one and only gun, a Beretta 92F, but that he hadn’t used it for so long that he had to have some maintenance done on it for it to operate properly.
    Wow, you have a good memory. Yes, I wanted to grease the dry pistol before we used it that day. I will admit, I am good with most pistols, but just didnt know the field breakdown process of a 92FS. We went down the street and quickly got it done, no biggie.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post

so you should just practice without aiming got it

JESUS BUDDY

this was years ago so hopefully he has more range time, but druff's issue is his hands don't work together

could be he is using a gun he is not familiar with though, but his left hand seems awkward and not really sure what it should be doing

edit:
    i actually watched the video and it is good advice for beginners/intermediate
    I’ve watched a TON of these types of vids and really liked this one for its practical instruction on how to start learning how to shoot a handgun well.

And one thing in particular that the instructor mentions is to grip the gun in your hands as tightly as possible. But because of muscle fatigue, doing so works against trying to *carefully* put the sight dot on target before pulling the trigger. And so what likely happens with novices and the poorly trained is that they don’t end up holding the gun firmly enough when firing it, which can result in a lot of muzzle flop with each round fired, which then usually requires more time to recover from to line up the gun’s barrel properly down range for the next shot. Which is what one sees Druff doing with a number of his shots in that video.

Instead, contrast the floppy muzzle of Druff’s gun when he fires a round with how little the muzzle of the instructor in that second video moves with each shot. Looks like an order of magnitude more movement with Druff’s shooting versus that instructor. Mind you, some of this difference could be due to Druff’s gun having a longer barrel, but I suspect that that would only a count for at most 1/4 of the difference.
    That must of been me in the second video, I didnt know there was video of me posted from that day. In Druff's defense, the more he practices, the more he will level out. I have been shooting the large frame service semi auto pistols for 29 years, so I found Druff's 92fs easy to pick up and fire a good string. Druff will get it down soon, its just practice and instruction.

This caveat, however speaks to another issue that Druff should consider for a self-defense gun: What is the best barrel-length for his skill level in combination with when he is most likely to need to use it to protect himself with it.

First, because Druff’s relatively low skill level in handling a gun for self-defense, he’d be far better off with a handgun that has a shorter barrel than his Beretta. That pistol is designed for multiple scenarios in a military setting, including higher-than-average precision shooting from a medium-range distance. And that causes that model gun to be less than ideal in close-quarters shooting situations, such as when a threat is less than 10 feet away, which is the condition that Druff is most likely to face when he would be needing a gun for personal protection. Which is why he should get another gun more suitable for the role.

But if Druff doesn’t want to go that route and instead hold onto his Berreta, at least try to convince him to modify it to make it more suitable as an every-day-carry (EDC) gun. And encourage him to practice with it for self-defense situations.
    I some what agree here. I think the standard barrel length of the 92FS is fine, its just getting used to the pistol. It would take Druff or anyone a good 500 rounds to warm up and get proficient. I really love the 92FS, but not the slide mounted decocker/safety, its just not the ideal things for most shooters.

I have suggested that Druff get the Glock 19 several times, its perfect. No external safety, easy to break down, light weight, has the accessory rail he likes and he can add a light. I very highly recommend the Surefire X300, it fits the Glock 17 and 19 perfect. I have two of them and will let Druff use mine to try them out. I also like the Glock 19 for road travel. I would take that on the road with me from So Cal to Vegas every time and think this would be perfect for Druff. If you remember back about 5 years ago, someone screwed with him on the I-15 to Vegas and this would have been the perfect pistol to have onboard. I can not stress enough how much peace of mind I have when driving to Vegas with a firearm onboard and I still do bring it in my hotel room with me, secured in my luggage. It Druff did get a G19, I recommend still keep the Beretta as it so awesome and he will enjoy it in the future. Also, in the future, his son will also enjoy the G19 as well.

Comments

MumblesBadly: Solid advice.
    Last edited by desertrunner; 10-31-2020 at 05:53 PM.

Load Metric
    I love my glock 19 it is just wonderful. I will say though my FNX-45 is my favorite for home defense.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyt View Post
    I love my glock 19 it is just wonderful. I will say though my FNX-45 is my favorite for home defense.
    Please fill on why you like the Glock 19, what specifically do you like about it?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrunner View Post

I’ve watched a TON of these types of vids and really liked this one for its practical instruction on how to start learning how to shoot a handgun well.

And one thing in particular that the instructor mentions is to grip the gun in your hands as tightly as possible. But because of muscle fatigue, doing so works against trying to *carefully* put the sight dot on target before pulling the trigger. And so what likely happens with novices and the poorly trained is that they don’t end up holding the gun firmly enough when firing it, which can result in a lot of muzzle flop with each round fired, which then usually requires more time to recover from to line up the gun’s barrel properly down range for the next shot. Which is what one sees Druff doing with a number of his shots in that video.

Instead, contrast the floppy muzzle of Druff’s gun when he fires a round with how little the muzzle of the instructor in that second video moves with each shot. Looks like an order of magnitude more movement with Druff’s shooting versus that instructor. Mind you, some of this difference could be due to Druff’s gun having a longer barrel, but I suspect that that would only a count for at most 1/4 of the difference.
    That must of been me in the second video, I didnt know there was video of me posted from that day. In Druff's defense, the more he practices, the more he will level out. I have been shooting the large frame service semi auto pistols for 29 years, so I found Druff's 92fs easy to pick up and fire a good string. Druff will get it down soon, its just practice and instruction.

This caveat, however speaks to another issue that Druff should consider for a self-defense gun: What is the best barrel-length for his skill level in combination with when he is most likely to need to use it to protect himself with it.

First, because Druff’s relatively low skill level in handling a gun for self-defense, he’d be far better off with a handgun that has a shorter barrel than his Beretta. That pistol is designed for multiple scenarios in a military setting, including higher-than-average precision shooting from a medium-range distance. And that causes that model gun to be less than ideal in close-quarters shooting situations, such as when a threat is less than 10 feet away, which is the condition that Druff is most likely to face when he would be needing a gun for personal protection. Which is why he should get another gun more suitable for the role.

But if Druff doesn’t want to go that route and instead hold onto his Berreta, at least try to convince him to modify it to make it more suitable as an every-day-carry (EDC) gun. And encourage him to practice with it for self-defense situations.
    I some what agree here. I think the standard barrel length of the 92FS is fine, its just getting used to the pistol. It would take Druff or anyone a good 500 rounds to warm up and get proficient. I really love the 92FS, but not the slide mounted decocker/safety, its just not the ideal things for most shooters.

I have suggested that Druff get the Glock 19 several times, its perfect. No external safety, easy to break down, light weight, has the accessory rail he likes and he can add a light. I very highly recommend the Surefire X300, it fits the Glock 17 and 19 perfect. I have two of them and will let Druff use mine to try them out. I also like the Glock 19 for road travel. I would take that on the road with me from So Cal to Vegas every time and think this would be perfect for Druff. If you remember back about 5 years ago, someone screwed with him on the I-15 to Vegas and this would have been the perfect pistol to have onboard. I can not stress enough how much peace of mind I have when driving to Vegas with a firearm onboard and I still do bring it in my hotel room with me, secured in my luggage. It Druff did get a G19, I recommend still keep the Beretta as it so awesome and he will enjoy it in the future. Also, in the future, his son will also enjoy the G19 as well.
    Druff, separate from COVID putting a crimp on your excursions to places where there a lot of people, I’m wondering how much the cost of firearms training and ammunition likely necessary to get proficient plays a role your mental calculus on how much to do so.

Or is because your just not motivated enough to do it despite how much fun you had with desertrunner 2 years ago? 3 years ago? Because I’ll be frank..Except when I go nuts on a new toy buying spree, I’m a cheap bastard regarding recurring expenses. So the thought of routinely shelling out $50-$100 to go practice with a gun is huge discouraging factor re taking up that as a hobby despite how much fun it is to shoot guns and geek out on them.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    one of my handguns is a S&W SD40 VE.

it sucks.

the only pistols i like to hold and shoot are 1911's and Sig Sauer for any caliber other than 45 ACP.

Load Metric
    i was going to ty to make the case that in a SHTF situation it would be much better to buy 6-8 cheap 9mm carbines than 1 gucci AR but these cheap hi-point like carbines have almost doubled in price (if you can even get them). you used to be able to get them for under $200, or $150 used at a pawn shop

example:
    https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...unds/p/1528903

Hi Lew!!!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cleatus View Post

it sucks.
    Sure does, trade it for a Glock in 9mm.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cleatus View Post

it sucks.
    Just watched a review of this gun from a year ago and was laughing at how the reviewers were trying to pump up this gun as a great bargain. Especially when one of the reviewers mentioned that he couldn’t manage the heavy trigger pull and missed most of the shots he took with it.

I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric

Just watched a review of this gun from a year ago and was laughing at how the reviewers were trying to pump up this gun as a great bargain. Especially when one of the reviewers mentioned that he couldn’t manage the heavy trigger pull and missed most of the shots he took with it.
    Again, I would trade that thing up for a Glock 19 and never admit you owned it.
    Last edited by desertrunner; 11-03-2020 at 07:33 PM.

Load Metric
    Re the 9mm ammo shortage: Looks like some employees at shipping facilities might be stealing ammo from packages shipped from ammo suppliers.

Load Metric
    I actually work for them in Smyrna, Ga... I do slide/barrel production and some quality control. Pretty cool place to tell people you work at (hence this shameless plug )

Comments

sonatine:

Load Metric
    This handgun looks like it would kick some ass.

Load Metric

Desert, I think I found a customized Glock that could possibly become your signature handgun given your PFA username and gun model preference.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WSPreadHead View Post
    I actually work for them in Smyrna, Ga... I do slide/barrel production and some quality control. Pretty cool place to tell people you work at (hence this shameless plug )
    Youre an actual Glock employee?

Load Metric

Desert, I think I found a customized Glock that could possibly become your signature handgun given your PFA username and gun model preference.
    Damn, that was a pretty crazy pistol. I do like Glocks and currently own one, 17, 3rd gen. But also been a Sig P226 guy for a long time. The Glocks def have some advantage in some areas and I'll never bad mouth them. Now I do like the Glock 19 and even recommended one to Druff. That 19 just nails it across the board and an ideal road pistol. I already have the Surefire X300 in FDE for this pistol.

I dont know where I will go with my pistol collection, but I do have a near mint P228 and I dont even shoot it. Great pistol that they just dont make anymore.

Load Metric
    yeah I am

Load Metric
    yeah I am
    do you get an employee discount? If so, how many per year?
    Hi Lew!!!

Load Metric

yeah I am
    yes I get a discount and are able to usually get 2 a year

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

yes I get a discount and are able to usually get 2 a year
    We've all heard of the small cock, own Glock theory.

Do you guys require records of mental stability and or cock size?
    Same thing basically

Comments

GrenadaRoger: glock envy post obv

Thread Information