Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Glock pistol owners here.

Load Metric
    Random note -When Art Bell had a late night stalker outside of his Pahrump, Nevada home, Art went outside to investigate with his Glock 17 in hand.

Comments

shoeshine box: miss that radio show.. Druff you inherited Arts time slot in my life!! wow.
    Last edited by desertrunner; 10-29-2020 at 09:51 PM.

Rest In Peace
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post

"But for most people I would recommend a 6/5 shot revolver .38 caliber with a swing out cylinder...much more simple to clean/maintain than a semi-auto, as or even more reliable, and not as much the offensive threat. Get one with dual action and a hammer spur for cocking to allow light trigger pull. Load a shot shell in the first chamber to give your first shot the best chance of hitting and stopping any attack without killing."

^^^ what Grenada said, except for the w/o ki**ing part, pull it to K**l or dont...& shroud over hammer.
    easy peasy, stopping power .38/.357 is interchangeable....
    My only add here is get it with a Shroud, no visible hammer, never will hang up on yr clothes ,etc and will never Jam and u can roll it in dirt and hold it underwater...

Murphy's law in effect here...when I pull it out I am wanting it to Fire 100%, Not JAM on me as ALL Automatics/semis. will Do at 1x or another.
    Maybe not yet to you as a individual, but like I said, that 1st x WILL be a mfer...

IF I ever was to own anything it would be:

S&W .38/.357. 2inch barrel w/a shroud. Hollow point ammo.
    and a Mossberg 500 w/a birds head handle grip and use the mini .12 gauge/00 buck, Holds 9 shells..home security, great for hallways etc.. Fahgedaboudit.

Autos look kool and have their place.Law enforcement etc..No doubt.
    Get the .45 1911 Colt best for that civilian over a Glock...
    That baby can take a beatdown and easier to clean...
    Stay Calm... & please Study yr deadly force rules real good..every State diff. at a point.

In a quick instantaneous Moment I take the revolver./shotgun..

Comments

MumblesBadly: Pump shotgun and revolver... best combo for home defense.
    Last edited by shoeshine box; 10-29-2020 at 10:05 PM. Reason: the "JUDGE" is what Grenada mentions perhaps.

Load Metric
    Ehhhh.......I like revolvers for fun and for when I get older, but not now.

The beauty of the Glocks is that they have about 30 less moving parts than the conventional semi auto pistol. I currently own a Glock 17 and the one prior I had only stove piped once because the gun was dirty and it was the one and only time I used the cheap WWB ammo. Over all, the Glocks are a good pistol and work when you need them to work.

As you can see in my avatar, I am a Sig P226 in 9mm guy. I love my Sigs, but the Glocks work and they are ideal for the desert.

Good audio interview on the start of the Glock pistol- https://www.npr.org/programs/fresh-a.../24/145698752/

Some random pic for reference...

Comments

shoeshine box: !!! LOL at the "Older", YES you are correct! gd read.

Load Metric
    I'll agree, Glocks and semi-autos are outstanding weapons---for that reason police use them as their carry gun.

But semis are not necessarily the best choice for all persons/situations. For example, my wife has hands & arms so weak she can't rack a semi-auto, struggles with a trigger pull more the 6 lbs, needs a maglula tool to load a magazine and can't control a gun with a lot of recoil. A semi isn't right for her. And for us both to carry when traveling, its a lot simpler/safer if she can use mine in the event of an emergency, so the one i bring is one she can handle.

Most young people don't have problems like she does, yet. But the firearms industry is so segmented that effective self-defense is available for all but the most challenged.

btw, you mention having a car gun...if you have to fire while inside your car, you ears & eyes will suffer huge without protection...so bring that along and put it on if you see a hot situation developing. (and watch out for the hot shell ejecting from your semi)

Comments

MumblesBadly: Knowledge dropping rep
    Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 10-29-2020 at 11:32 PM.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    lol if you have time to put on eyes and ears please just drive away

everyone is different, there’s no one pistol that’s better than the others in all cases

do you want a safety, a small ccw, the most rounds, a wheel gun so you don’t have to pick up any shells in a bad neighborhood, a truck gun?

lot of good options out there but if you don’t practice it’s all for naught

and ammo is def not easy to get right now, this pic was from academy sports a couple weeks ago

Name:  36F8EB97-414D-465F-9C3B-96C958B3C8A1.png
Views: 511
Size:  3.70 MB

Comments

dwai: MUNCY IS GOD

PLOL: you need ammo to protect all that bling
    Hi Lew!!!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Fun fact:

I went to a shooting range with desertrunner in 2017 after playing poker.

Which place had I just played?

Stones Gambling Hall.

Yes, that Stones Gambling Hall.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrunner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    just some street wisdom from the currency collapse in argentina. when the grey market ammo is all you can scrounge up, its usually your run of the mill NATO issue fare.

if you have something exotic, ok cool.
    I forgot to mention that I run the Critical Duty 135 grain NON +P in my road pistol. So I am sure I will get penetration through a windshield, but who knows, its a total guess. The FBI did select this ammo for their duty weapons with barrier penetration in mind. I think the CD in 135 9mm will work fine if you really have to punch through a windshield. If you get off a full mag, I am sure you'll get some rounds on target.
    I thought Zombies only walked, I guess some can get stuck in cars.

Otherwise why the fuck do you need a bulet to penetrate a windshield?
    You some kind of prepper or something? We all know Gordo is.
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post

everyone is different, there’s no one pistol that’s better than the others in all cases

do you want a safety, a small ccw, the most rounds, a wheel gun so you don’t have to pick up any shells in a bad neighborhood, a truck gun?

and ammo is def not easy to get right now, this pic was from academy sports a couple weeks ago

Name:  36F8EB97-414D-465F-9C3B-96C958B3C8A1.png
Views: 511
Size:  3.70 MB
    Druff definitely should practice using his handgun in close quarters to avoid a mishap of missing the target in an emergency. In fact, he can do most of this practice at home with the gun empty, and dry firing to practice a smooth trigger pull.

P.S. Here’s a good guide for the latter exercise.

Last edited by MumblesBadly; 10-30-2020 at 10:10 AM.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrunner View Post

I forgot to mention that I run the Critical Duty 135 grain NON +P in my road pistol. So I am sure I will get penetration through a windshield, but who knows, its a total guess. The FBI did select this ammo for their duty weapons with barrier penetration in mind. I think the CD in 135 9mm will work fine if you really have to punch through a windshield. If you get off a full mag, I am sure you'll get some rounds on target.
    I thought Zombies only walked, I guess some can get stuck in cars.

Otherwise why the fuck do you need a bulet to penetrate a windshield?
    You some kind of prepper or something? We all know Gordo is.

if youre still laughing at preppers in 2020, i dont like your chances.

Comments

Baron Von Strucker: Fair enough I just didn’t think I would see the day whe
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    btw, you mention having a car gun...if you have to fire while inside your car, you ears & eyes will suffer huge without protection...so bring that along and put it on if you see a hot situation developing. (and watch out for the hot shell ejecting from your semi)
    The idea here is I like to travel the wide open desert and just having a firearm on board is big peace of mind. No one can anticipate a gun battle or time of need, but having a pistol onboard is the only way for me to desertrun in the Mojave, I-15 or around Vegas.

Load Metric
    Fun fact:

I went to a shooting range with desertrunner in 2017 after playing poker.

Which place had I just played?

Stones Gambling Hall.

Yes, that Stones Gambling Hall.
    There are currently two gun ranges in the South Sac area and I admit I took Druff to the wrong one, I still feel bad for this. If you come up again, we'll go to the right place I know. It was fun, but I still want to take Druff to the Carson City open range, that place is the BEST. https://www.carson.org/government/de...ing-facilities

Load Metric

Good points, lets review...

- In a real personal self defense situation, you will not have time to don eyes and ears. If a bad guy wants to get down, its going down in seconds.
    - I think there are better pistols in some cases for the situation. For the home, self defense and travel, the G19 is ideal.
    - Def need to practice the skills over the long future. Firearms training is a perishable skill.
    - Ammo is very hard to get not, I will stake a good friend (Druff) if they need it.
    Last edited by desertrunner; 10-30-2020 at 06:41 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by W, illieMcFML View Post
    agreed, avoidance is always best, and planning your travels with safety in mind is your best self defense.

but you carry in the car because there are times you can't get away; breakdown, lost in unfamiliar neighborhood, road blocked by protesters, or you are followed by thief after a big win at cards (don't scoff, it might happen to you yet Willie)
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    your threat spectrum should include kidnapping for ransom soon.

real soon.

and that often happens while driving.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by W, illieMcFML View Post
    agreed, avoidance is always best, and planning your travels with safety in mind is your best self defense.

but you carry in the car because there are times you can't get away; breakdown, lost in unfamiliar neighborhood, road blocked by protesters, or you are followed by thief after a big win at cards (don't scoff, it might happen to you yet Willie)
    This should answer any questions about carrying a firearm in your vehicle...

Load Metric
    Remember this vid Druff posted awhile back when he went to a gun range with desertrunner?

Well, check out out this vid and guess how it’s relevant to what you see in Druff’s vid here.

I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    Remember this vid Druff posted awhile back when he went to a gun range with desertrunner?

Well, check out out this vid and guess how it’s relevant to what you see in Druff’s vid here.

so you should just practice without aiming got it

JESUS BUDDY

this was years ago so hopefully he has more range time, but druff's issue is his hands don't work together

could be he is using a gun he is not familiar with though, but his left hand seems awkward and not really sure what it should be doing

edit:
    i actually watched the video and it is good advice for beginners/intermediate
    Last edited by WillieMcFML; 10-31-2020 at 12:34 AM.
    Hi Lew!!!

Load Metric

JESUS BUDDY

this was years ago so hopefully he has more range time, but druff's issue is his hands don't work together

could be he is using a gun he is not familiar with though, but his left hand seems awkward and not really sure what it should be doing

edit:
    I thought Druff said it was his one and only gun, a Beretta 92F, but that he hadn’t used it for so long that he had to have some maintenance done on it for it to operate properly.

Load Metric

JESUS BUDDY

edit:
    I’ve watched a TON of these types of vids and really liked this one for its practical instruction on how to start learning how to shoot a handgun well.

And one thing in particular that the instructor mentions is to grip the gun in your hands as tightly as possible. But because of muscle fatigue, doing so works against trying to *carefully* put the sight dot on target before pulling the trigger. And so what likely happens with novices and the poorly trained is that they don’t end up holding the gun firmly enough when firing it, which can result in a lot of muzzle flop with each round fired, which then usually requires more time to recover from to line up the gun’s barrel properly down range for the next shot. Which is what one sees Druff doing with a number of his shots in that video.

Instead, contrast the floppy muzzle of Druff’s gun when he fires a round with how little the muzzle of the instructor in that second video moves with each shot. Looks like an order of magnitude more movement with Druff’s shooting versus that instructor. Mind you, some of this difference could be due to Druff’s gun having a longer barrel, but I suspect that that would only a count for at most 1/4 of the difference.

This caveat, however speaks to another issue that Druff should consider for a self-defense gun: What is the best barrel-length for his skill level in combination with when he is most likely to need to use it to protect himself with it.

First, because Druff’s relatively low skill level in handling a gun for self-defense, he’d be far better off with a handgun that has a shorter barrel than his Beretta. That pistol is designed for multiple scenarios in a military setting, including higher-than-average precision shooting from a medium-range distance. And that causes that model gun to be less than ideal in close-quarters shooting situations, such as when a threat is less than 10 feet away, which is the condition that Druff is most likely to face when he would be needing a gun for personal protection. Which is why he should get another gun more suitable for the role.

But if Druff doesn’t want to go that route and instead hold onto his Berreta, at least try to convince him to modify it to make it more suitable as an every-day-carry (EDC) gun. And encourage him to practice with it for self-defense situations.

Load Metric
    a mossberg (or whatever) pump 12ga is great for home defense if you aren’t very good with a pistol

hard to miss with a shotgun
    Hi Lew!!!

Thread Information