Thread: Weird $300 million effort by Dept of Health and Human Services to run coronavirus-related PSAs seems to have resulted in the money being wasted

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Weird $300 million effort by Dept of Health and Human Services to run coronavirus-related PSAs seems to have resulted in the money being wasted

Certain dummies on the left will accuse me of being hyper-partisan to the point of never bashing Trump or anyone in his administration.

This is despite the fact that I have criticized Trump and those under him many times, including this year.

Here I'm creating a thread to do it again.

It appears Health and Human Services assistant secretary Michael Caputo wasted $300 million on a series of COVID-related PSAs which won't end up running.

Here's an article about the situation from Politico, which does seem a bit biased, and also focuses upon some of the wrong things: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/1...rebrand-433578

The most controversial aspect of this situation is the list of 274 celebrities, whose politics and attitudes about Trump are noted. Many on the left are outraged that money was spent compiling such a list, and that HHS has no place analyzing the politics of potential ad spokespeople. More outrage comes from the belief that these HHS videos were going to play more like Trump campaign ads, and not nonpartisan government PSAs about COVID.

While I can understand the concern, these criticisms are very much overblown. It is true that a very high percentage of celebrities are Trump-hostile, and many are outspoken about it. It is reasonable that they probably shouldn't waste their time asking certain celebrities to make PSAs for the Trump-appointed HHS, as these people likely hate Trump and would be uncooperative regarding any messaging they disagreed with. Therefore, it is perfectly reasonable to come up with a list of celebrities who are both credible (meaning not Scott Baio) and not afflicted with TDS.

It should also be noted that despite this list being produced, they were trying to work with some celebrities who were known leftists, and only seemed to be specifically avoiding Trump-haters or super-leftists, which is reasonable.

My problem comes from the $300 million wasted. The article claims that they wasted $250 million on one communications firm called Fors Marsh, $15 million on another called Atlas Research, and I'm not sure where the other $35 million went. It also looks very mismanaged, as Caputo took "medical leave" in mid-September, and didn't really leave anyone else in charge of this effort.

Between that and celebrities who pulled out of making the PSAs after initially agreeing, it looks like this whole effort was an expensive mess -- reminiscent of the even worse $560 million Obamacare website which failed upon launch.

I don't blame Trump for this. He can't oversee these individual actions and expenditures by the HHS. However, it really looks like Caputo and HHS shit the bed, and that money went down the toilet.

Take a look at the list I linked of the celebrities. It's kinda interesting. Each celebrity is listed with a "demographic" they appeal to, which mostly tend to look correct, though there's a weird demographic of "superspreaders" (related to COVID) which I don't understand. How would one appeal to superspreaders, when people don't know they're superspreaders, and superspreaders have nothing in common besides the tendency to go out into crowds? Weird.

Some of the research appears to be incorrect, such as claiming the Robert Redford is supportive of Republicans (I've always known him to be liberal), and it makes no mention of Redford's hatred of Trump.

The celebrities seem to be somewhat listed in groups, as you will see several minors listed in a row, or several gay people listed in a row, and stuff like that. But it's also kinda randomly mixed. Reading that list really gives you an idea of how few celebrities are on the right (or even in the center), and how those few right-wing celebrities often have their own personal baggage.

I don't even understand why they would spend $250 million hiring a firm to do this. Can't they just call a few celebrities they think would be warm to this, get them to film some quick PSAs, and run them?

Comments

GrenadaRoger: PSA (Public Service Advertisement) -- you used PSA 3 times and never defined it

Load Metric
    Trump’s Golf Trips Could Cost Taxpayers Over $340 Million

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjo...r-340-million/

Republicans believe that this is money well spent.

Load Metric
    The super spreaders kind of make sense. Dewine did an interview yesterday, and he was talking about what was causing problems as Ohio is getting bad again. He said schools have been surprisingly safe. Workplaces have been largely safe. The problems were parties, funerals, baby showers, weddings, and just general family gatherings and places people let their guard down.

Outside funerals, largely things you associate with 20 and 30 somethings, or where they were at least in attendance. You had the Garth Brooks of the world to appeal to general population, then the young people to cover your bases.

A lot of the celebrities have youth appeal where they might have more sway with the whole party thing and large gatherings that are kind of unnecessary. People are going to marry and die and have kids. Those are hard to convince people not to attend. Those are life milestones that are hard to keep from being family gatherings at a minimum. No one needs to have an unnecessary party during a pandemic.

The list didn’t look wholly illogical, but it sounds as if the implementation was horrible and it ended up a waste. I’ve seen a lot dumber ideas from government agencies.

Comments

splitthis: Dewine is the grinch

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I don't blame Trump for this.
    Of course you won't blame the guy who put the media consultant in charge of Health and Human Services & who has also actively worked against the CDC in getting correct info out to the people.

The guy's single qualification was that he's super loyal to Trump.

But you don't blame Trump for the things he does in the position that Trump gave him.

Maybe you should re-think that position.

Comments

Muck Ficon: Druff has really been losing it lately. LPR?

Walter Sobchak: this

Load Metric
    Love to measure Druff‘s disconnect with reality by having him make an entry into our contest.

Comments

Crowe Diddly: HE PUT A GUY WITH NO MEDICAL BACKGROUND IN CHARGE OF HHS IN A FUCKING PANDEMIC FOR CHRIST'S SAKE

Load Metric
    Having spent time as a Govt IT Contractor at DHHS HQ in DC the ability of them to light piles of cash on fire is nothing new Druff. These same idiots were using Class A externally routable IP Addresses on every single desktop in the bldg. yep no flipping firewall nor the standard internal 192.x.x.x or similar non routable type setup. Just amazingly stupid and insecure back then. (Late 90s early 2000s)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Of course you won't blame the guy who put the media consultant in charge of Health and Human Services & who has also actively worked against the CDC in getting correct info out to the people.

But you don't blame Trump for the things he does in the position that Trump gave him.

You do realize CDC answers to DHHS right?? CDC SSA NIH USPHS (to some
    Degree) and a few other all fall under the purview of DHHS. The budget for DHHS dwarfs DOD by a decent margin.

Load Metric

Not only this, if it had happened in Obama's HHS I'm sure he wouldn't blame Obama.

The buck stops anywhere but on his man-crush.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric

Name:  OnlyAdorableAoudad-small (1).gif
Views: 148
Size:  621.7 KB

Comments

1marley1: I thought you got banned...

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ftpjesus View Post

You do realize CDC answers to DHHS right?? CDC SSA NIH USPHS (to some
    Degree) and a few other all fall under the purview of DHHS. The budget for DHHS dwarfs DOD by a decent margin.
    Yes, I do. Not sure why you thought I didn't know that. It's kind of central to the whole point.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post
    Trump’s Golf Trips Could Cost Taxpayers Over $340 Million

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjo...r-340-million/

Republicans believe that this is money well spent.

Imagine the epic rants that Druff would have during the radio shows if Obama had enriched his own businesses with such spending, let alone the numerous emolument clause violations Trump has committed with foreign governments spending oodles of money at his properties at inflated rates. Oh, and there was the sweetheart deal with Qatar investing in the 666 property that saved Jarod Kushner’s financial ass that Trump was able to extort out of Qatar by temporarily siding with its Gulf state rivals, including the Saudis, re their dubious claim that Qatar was supporting terrorists. Gotta love Druff’s political objectivity re corrupt use of the presidency, amirite?
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

This guy wasn't in charge of the HHS. That's not the problem here.

He was only in charge of this $300 million campaign, and he failed at the task. The article on Politico seems mainly concerned with the time and money spent on compiling lists of celebrities' attitudes toward Trump and Republicans, but as I mentioned before, that was somewhat reasonable, given the immense anti-Trump sentiment in Hollywood.

Even the Politico article isn't trying to say the guy was running the whole show over there. He wasn't.

Comments

Crowe Diddly: I have no excuse for being wrong here, I just was.

Load Metric

Even the Politico article isn't trying to say the guy was running the whole show over there. He wasn't.
    I was going off memory, and the last 7 months have turned my brain to mush. I knew he was a Trump appointee, so I guess I conflated that with running the joint. Unforced error. Sorry aboot that.

Thread Information