Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Queen’s Gambit

Load Metric
    it honestly is sig-worthy
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    we honestly didnt deserve the confluence of luck that brought us all together

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Smiley's MI5 chief "Control" was supposedly named Harold Staunton, the chess player that ducked Morphy and who also designed the chess pieces we use today
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post
    Smiley's MI5 chief "Control" was supposedly named Harold Staunton, the chess player that ducked Morphy and who also designed the chess pieces we use today

1) wow holy shit

2) where did you hear the 'named harold stauton' part? seems like something i would have remembered reading.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Just can't get past these. A. Taylor was a huge cunt in Peaky Blinders.
    Molly Parker is a huge cunt everywhere.

Unwatchable for me

Bug eyed alien
    and some flat dyke

Name:  at.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  103.4 KB

Load Metric
    speaking of faglord spy shit influenced by le carre that probably has a chess scene is the night manager any good i think its on hulu or prime

Load Metric
    i thought this was a movie but apparently a series and its like a 90 on rt which i dont really buy

Load Metric
    plus ONE TOMAS HIDDLESTON ESCHWING THE POWERS THAT BE TO SOMETHING CONSEQUENCES OF IMMATURITY but im not dipping my beak in till i get a real review

Puts His Dick in the Mashed Potatoes
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

Unwatchable for me

Bug eyed alien
    and some flat dyke

That's a fear boner I could get behind

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Unwatchable for me

Bug eyed alien
    and some flat dyke

Her eyes are kinda weird, but I think you're wrong about her being a lesbian. She's dating some photographer dude.

Load Metric

1) wow holy shit

2) where did you hear the 'named harold stauton' part? seems like something i would have remembered reading.
    if i recall correctly, it was in the novel "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" that Control's real name was revealed, or at least the name control used to rent his apartment--i don't believe his name was given in the series made from the movie...but the use of chess pieces to which pictures of the suspected spies were attached was a tie in with the name Le Clare selected for the character.

Alec Guiness played George Smiley very well, but i think Gary Oldman's version of the character was even better.

Comments

sonatine: looks like its time for me to re-read
    Last edited by GrenadaRoger; 11-23-2020 at 11:08 PM.
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric

1) wow holy shit

if i recall correctly, it was in the novel "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" that Control's real name was revealed, or at least the name control used to rent his apartment--i don't believe his name was given in the series made from the movie...but the use of chess pieces to which pictures of the suspected spies were attached was a tie in with the name Le Clare selected for the character.

Alec Guiness played George Smiley very well, but i think Gary Oldman's version of the character was even better.

i bet its part of connie's back story, eg the bridge she played there. or that awkward lunch with roddy... its funny, i remember the series dialog better than the book. in any case the chess tie-in is amazing.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    https://en.chessbase.com/post/magnus...-gambit-series

I would say it’s a 5 out of 6. I would have given it a full score except I found it a bit disturbing that all the kids in the series want to get adopted because in chess that means losing 10 games in a row and no kid would want to do that.

Kidding aside though, I thought it was very enjoyable. The optics were great; they did the chess pretty well with the games.

However, he did say it wasn’t perfect.

Carlsen added:

I just found the whole thing a little too unrealistic. I just couldn't quite buy that after being six years without playing a tournament game in an orphanage and you would then be one of the best players in a few years.

It’s a good story but to me, I found it a little too unrealistic. But in general, having said all that, it was extremely enjoyable.

Load Metric
    its a wildly successful piece of coming of age feminism that also somehow manages to make chess the centerpiece on the table. which makes it the big swinging dick at an orgy of 1 basically.

well photographed, well acted, extremely well written (based on a book, granted), and thoroughly well researched.

looking forward to betting on it clocking a fucking ton of awards.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Unwatchable for me

Bug eyed alien
    and some flat dyke

Her eyes are kinda weird, but I think you're wrong about her being a lesbian. She's dating some photographer dude.

Was referring to Molly Parker whom I just found out is from B.C.

And the dyke line was out of line
    Sorry Molly

Load Metric
    I've watched the series twice. Loved it both times. I play chess more than poker these days, so I'm biased. It brought back memories from playing tournaments in Indiana back in the late 1970's. The scenes of those early tourneys Beth plays are not far off from what I saw.

I was no chess prodigy but was in the 1500's back then, so played reasonably well. I would lose easily to the stronger players rated 1800 plus. I do remember being crushed in one tournament by a kid prodigy in a US Open preliminary tourney in Chicago. He might have been 12-13 but was already rated over 2000. don't remember his name. It was a good experience though as it convinced me to treat chess as a hobby, as I knew I was never going to be playing at this kids level.

Comments

sonatine: chess > poker. get at me @ chess.club

gimmick:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by anchordraw View Post
    I've watched the series twice. Loved it both times. I play chess more than poker these days, so I'm biased. It brought back memories from playing tournaments in Indiana back in the late 1970's. The scenes of those early tourneys Beth plays are not far off from what I saw.

I was no chess prodigy but was in the 1500's back then, so played reasonably well. I would lose easily to the stronger players rated 1800 plus. I do remember being crushed in one tournament by a kid prodigy in a US Open preliminary tourney in Chicago. He might have been 12-13 but was already rated over 2000. don't remember his name. It was a good experience though as it convinced me to treat chess as a hobby, as I knew I was never going to be playing at this kids level.
    Thanksgiving dinner everyone talked about Queens Gambit for 30 minutes. Young or old it was universally loved.

You must remember the Fisher Chess Boom.

Comments

anchordraw: everyone seemed to play chess during the boom I'd read the articles in the paper everyday during the Spasky - Fischer match.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    You can literally tell which one is the Queen

Name:  IMG_20201212_175307_780.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  52.6 KB

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Thats funny

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Actually my girlfriend told me today, "There's a good show which kind of reminds me of tournament poker", and mentioned The Queen's Gambit.

She has never played poker, and has no desire to ever play, but noticed the similarities. She said I should watch it. I told her that tons of poker players were already watching it and raving about it, so she was definitely on the right track.

Anyway, given that there seems to be such universal acclaim, I'll watch it.

In the 1980s, a musical called Chess was created by Tim Rice, Björn Ulvaeus, and Benny Anderson, which attempted to portray a fictional Cold War era chess battle between two grandmasters -- one American, one Russian. It started in Europe, briefly made it to Broadway, but flopped. It was revived in Europe a few years ago. To Americans, it's best known for producing the strange '80s hit, "One Night in Bangkok", which is also about chess.

That was the last time I noticed chess in popular culture, prior to this.
    One Night in Bangkok is about trans woman hookers in Thailand. It really should be the theme song of this forum, or at leats of Tydepoker 4.0.

The fictional Cold War chess match was a thinly disguised version of Fischer/Spassky 1972.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Thread Information