Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Queen’s Gambit

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    That was the last time I noticed chess in popular culture, prior to this.
    what about the first Harry Potter movie?

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Actually my girlfriend told me today, "There's a good show which kind of reminds me of tournament poker", and mentioned The Queen's Gambit.

She has never played poker, and has no desire to ever play, but noticed the similarities. She said I should watch it. I told her that tons of poker players were already watching it and raving about it, so she was definitely on the right track.

Anyway, given that there seems to be such universal acclaim, I'll watch it.

In the 1980s, a musical called Chess was created by Tim Rice, Björn Ulvaeus, and Benny Anderson, which attempted to portray a fictional Cold War era chess battle between two grandmasters -- one American, one Russian. It started in Europe, briefly made it to Broadway, but flopped. It was revived in Europe a few years ago. To Americans, it's best known for producing the strange '80s hit, "One Night in Bangkok", which is also about chess.

The woman is the protagonist in this series, Todd. Just want to warn you ahead of time.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Between the two of us, I'm the one who likes women.

Anyway, I watched the first episode. Enjoyed it. Though it was hard to watch a 9-year-old get addicted to pills.

Load Metric
    Actually my girlfriend told me today, "There's a good show which kind of reminds me of tournament poker", and mentioned The Queen's Gambit.

She has never played poker, and has no desire to ever play, but noticed the similarities. She said I should watch it. I told her that tons of poker players were already watching it and raving about it, so she was definitely on the right track.

In the 1980s, a musical called Chess was created by Tim Rice, Björn Ulvaeus, and Benny Anderson, which attempted to portray a fictional Cold War era chess battle between two grandmasters -- one American, one Russian. It started in Europe, briefly made it to Broadway, but flopped. It was revived in Europe a few years ago. To Americans, it's best known for producing the strange '80s hit, "One Night in Bangkok", which is also about chess.

What you seriously never saw searching for bobby fischer? Good movie for you and Ben to watch.

Load Metric
    Also no chess thread complete without Ben Finegold.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post

What you seriously never saw searching for bobby fischer? Good movie for you and Ben to watch.

bittersweet, tbh. josh waitzkin walked away from chess so he could focus on aikido and jitz, they leave that part out iirc. id be salty but he's certainly showing results there too and im guessing its a lot more healthy for him physically and emotionally.

Comments

BetCheckBet:
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post
    early episodes look like the world i grew up in---clothes, cars, schoolrooms, general scenery, attitudes and general ignorance/oppression...what a shitty world it was!

the chess was legit
    Yeah, the first episode really makes the '50s look bad -- unlike a lot of 1980s films like Back to the Future which glorifies the era as charming and fun.

I've thought of what life would have been like if I was born in a different decade -- both before and after I was actually born. The 1950s kinda seems like a crappy time to have grown up. Medical and dental technology was pretty bad then, too. We take it for granted nowadays how far we've come in these areas. Even the 1970s were already substantially better.

Load Metric
    Fantastic show thus far, really enjoying it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I'm 5.5 episodes in.

Will probably watch the final 1.5 episodes tonight or tomorrow.

Enjoying it, but here are a few small criticisms:

While they did a great job with the '50s sets, cars, and props, they were pretty lazy with the hairstyles and clothes in the '60s portion of the show (which is most of it). This is especially true of the young men, many of whom could walk around with the hairstyles and clothing depicted in 2020, and not get noticed as being unusual. Go look at actual people in pictures or movies from 1958-1967, and they don't look like the characters depicted in the miniseries.

Not sure why they went for this fictional "Mariposa" hotel in Vegas, given that they showed real (and mostly defunct) hotels in the exterior shot of '60s Vegas. I'd have to guess that they could have licensed one of the names of the defunct properties for pretty cheap, and didn't need to do this Mariposa nonsense. I did enjoy the Vegas setting otherwise, though, and felt it otherwise came off authentic.

I didn't like how the Beth character hooked up with so many people. It was clear she had a crush on that Townes guy at the beginning, and her running into him throughout the miniseries foreshadowed her falling in love with him. That part I liked. I didn't like all of these awkward and somewhat forced sexual hookups, from the pothead at the college party, to Beltik, to Benny Watts, to the lesbian thing with that French chick (???) Didn't even fit with the character, who otherwise seemed shy and kinda asexual at times. The writers seemed to have forced her to have hookups with every character she encountered, which I didn't feel worked well.

Overall it was well done -- at least what I've watched so far. I wish poker had an equivalent movie, but they've all been trash aside from Rounders.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post

Excellent movie, it actually got me into chess as a kid. I had a 2200 ranking on yahoo at 13. I remember that being really good, now when I play I suck lol

Comments

sonatine: jesus

Load Metric

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    800 rating Beth plays more like 400. At least in reference to chess.com ratings. But then again you don’t want the bot crushing people and stopping them from making accounts.

Load Metric
    Name:  Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 10.14.04 PM.png
Views: 122
Size:  660.0 KB

CHUG THAT SHIT

Comments

Sanlmar:

GrenadaRoger: George Smiley rep (Smiley's People?)

Load Metric

Load Metric
    according to inside sources when tine was 15 and bobby fischer was doing his thing he was rooting for him to be more anti semitic

Load Metric
    ok im playing the 2400 rated version and it just wrecked one of my favorite developing sequences on move _9_.

ive played this line hundreds of times against players up to the 2050'ish range and i have never once seen this move played and it absolutely fucking son'd me:

[Event "vs Computer"]
    [Site "Chess.com"]
    [Date "2020.11.23"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "sonatine"]
    [Black "Beth (17)"]
    [Result "*"]
    [TimeControl "-"]

1. g4 d5 2. Bg2 e5 3. c4 c6 4. cxd5 cxd5 5. Qb3 e4 6. Nc3 Ne7 7. e3 Nbc6 8. Nge2
    h5 9. h3 g5 *

guys 9 g5 is so fucking crazy i cant even.

Load Metric
    absolute fire move.

Load Metric
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skyn-word View Post
    So sonatine ARE YOU TELLING ME THAT YOU HAVE NOT COMPLIED WITH POWER'S TRANSPARENT DIRECTIVE TO WEAR THE CONSEQUENCES OF YOUR IMMATURITY?

i think i might only post this quote for the rest of time on this website

Load Metric
    i cant really think of anything else that needs to be said the fact he said it to blake first makes it 8x more incredible

Thread Information