Thread: Good news! San Francisco's CAREN Act allows people to sue you for making a 911 call about them if they're not white (or if they're short, female, or fat)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Good news! San Francisco's CAREN Act allows people to sue you for making a 911 call about them if they're not white (or if they're short, female, or fat)

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...cist-911-calls

The Board of Supervisors voted Tuesday on the Caution Against Racial and Exploitative Non-Emergencies Act, also known as the Caren legislation. It’s a nod to a popular meme using the name “Karen” to describe an entitled white woman whose actions stem from her privilege, such as using police to target people of color.
    The San Francisco legislation gives people the right to sue a 911 caller in civil court, and supporters hope it will make some think twice before turning to police. The discrimination need not be only racial; it can also be due to the person’s sex, age, religion, disability, gender identity, weight or height.

The legislation does not spell out the standards needed to sue but notes that qualifying calls are those that caused the person to feel harassed or embarrassed; damaged the person’s reputation or business prospects; or forced the person from an area where they had a lawful right to be.

So if you see someone in your neighborhood acting suspiciously, make sure they're white, male, not old, not Muslim, not disabled, and short, and not fat. Otherwise, see you in court!!

Unfortunately for me, even if I lived in SF, you could still call 911 on me without fear. Though perhaps I could claim that being Jewish was the reason you called 911 on me, and perhaps I could call fluffer in for expert testimony that I'm "obese". Still, might be a tough road for me.

However, believe me, if I were fat and black, I would be roaming expensive SF neighborhoods and trying to act as suspiciously as possible. Then I'd claim I was just walking for exercise at 2am, and felt embarrassed by the police response. BACK UP THAT MONEY TRUCK!

BTW, California already made "racist 911 calls" a criminal offense. This act adds a civil element to it.

Party of science and logic, y'all!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

The Board of Supervisors voted Tuesday on the Caution Against Racial and Exploitative Non-Emergencies Act, also known as the Caren legislation. It’s a nod to a popular meme using the name “Karen” to describe an entitled white woman whose actions stem from her privilege, such as using police to target people of color.
    The San Francisco legislation gives people the right to sue a 911 caller in civil court, and supporters hope it will make some think twice before turning to police. The discrimination need not be only racial; it can also be due to the person’s sex, age, religion, disability, gender identity, weight or height.

The legislation does not spell out the standards needed to sue but notes that qualifying calls are those that caused the person to feel harassed or embarrassed; damaged the person’s reputation or business prospects; or forced the person from an area where they had a lawful right to be.

So if you see someone in your neighborhood acting suspiciously, make sure they're white, male, not old, not Muslim, not disabled, and short, and not fat. Otherwise, see you in court!!

Unfortunately for me, even if I lived in SF, you could still call 911 on me without fear. Though perhaps I could claim that being Jewish was the reason you called 911 on me, and perhaps I could call fluffer in for expert testimony that I'm "obese". Still, might be a tough road for me.

However, believe me, if I were fat and black, I would be roaming expensive SF neighborhoods and trying to act as suspiciously as possible. Then I'd claim I was just walking for exercise at 2am, and felt embarrassed by the police response. BACK UP THAT MONEY TRUCK!

BTW, California already made "racist 911 calls" a criminal offense. This act adds a civil element to it.

Nobody in San Francisco calls 911 anymore. It’s a futile endeavor. Seriously. You want the cops to come? Here’s what you say: “shots fired, officer down!”

Banned
    Load Metric
    Have you ever called the police on someone for acting suspiciously? I always thought that's just something that busybody old ladies do.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Sanchez View Post
    Have you ever called the police on someone for acting suspiciously? I always thought that's just something that busybody old ladies do.
    I haven't, but I would if the circumstance called for it.

For example, let's say a guy was pacing back and forth in front of my house at 2am, and trying to stare at my property. Maybe he's checking it out in order to break in later. Maybe he's about to break in right now. Who knows? This shit shouldn't be going on at 2am, so yes, I'd call the police. I would do this regardless of his race or anything else. (I live in a quiet neighborhood which doesn't normally have people milling around staring at houses at 2am, btw.)

If the dude happened to be black, and then could later sue me because it "embarrassed" him, that's a pretty horrible situation.

This is once again an example of people on the left using their feelings instead of their brains. They "feel" that racism is bad, and that police calls based upon racist biases are bad. Therefore, they make a law "against racially-motivated police calls", without stopping to realize that you can't craft good law around what you think is in someone's head. So they end up with a situation where people about to commit crimes can bring forth successful lawsuits against concerned citizens calling the police on them.

Just really, really awful.

You can't call out this type of ridiculousness if you're on the left these days, because you get shouted down by the woke mob and called racist. Therefore, you have to just make excuses for stuff like this (or ignore it, as every PFA leftist has done so far today), and realize that this type of shit comes with the territory when you have to achieve the greater good of defeating Republicans.

If I saw large numbers of moderate Democrats condemning this crap, I would have some faith that Joe Biden would be able to govern in moderate fashion. But since it's become heresy to call out anything to the left of you, it's pretty obvious to me what the next four years will be like, unless Trump pulls out a second miracle.

Comments

Sloppy Joe: Agree

Load Metric
    Wasn't it already a crime to intentionally misuse 911?

This seems like an overreaction to a problem that barely exists.

Also I hate when they come up with a totrured name for a law just to make it fit an acronym.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Wasn't it already a crime to intentionally misuse 911?
    Probably, since it's a thing with every alarm method everywhere since forever. They might have backend numbers showing that it's more prevalent with certain demographics towards other demographics, but coming up with new laws seems iffy. Assuming that the problem is just enforcing the current laws.

Something something about crying wolf.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Sanchez View Post
    I haven't, but I would if the circumstance called for it.

For example, let's say a guy was pacing back and forth in front of my house at 2am, and trying to stare at my property. Maybe he's checking it out in order to break in later. Maybe he's about to break in right now. Who knows? This shit shouldn't be going on at 2am, so yes, I'd call the police. I would do this regardless of his race or anything else. (I live in a quiet neighborhood which doesn't normally have people milling around staring at houses at 2am, btw.)

If the dude happened to be black, and then could later sue me because it "embarrassed" him, that's a pretty horrible situation.

This is once again an example of people on the left using their feelings instead of their brains. They "feel" that racism is bad, and that police calls based upon racist biases are bad. Therefore, they make a law "against racially-motivated police calls", without stopping to realize that you can't craft good law around what you think is in someone's head. So they end up with a situation where people about to commit crimes can bring forth successful lawsuits against concerned citizens calling the police on them.

Just really, really awful.

You can't call out this type of ridiculousness if you're on the left these days, because you get shouted down by the woke mob and called racist. Therefore, you have to just make excuses for stuff like this (or ignore it, as every PFA leftist has done so far today), and realize that this type of shit comes with the territory when you have to achieve the greater good of defeating Republicans.

If I saw large numbers of moderate Democrats condemning this crap, I would have some faith that Joe Biden would be able to govern in moderate fashion. But since it's become heresy to call out anything to the left of you, it's pretty obvious to me what the next four years will be like, unless Trump pulls out a second miracle.
    Nah I more or less agree with you Druff. This law does seem like an overcorrection. Presumably it was a response to Amy Cooper and other high profile cases of racist white women making frivolous 911 calls. I'm sure you agree that those people deserve to be punished. But not in cases where there's reasonable concern.

Load Metric
    FFS, San Francisco! You should have figured out how to make that law’s acronym sound like “Becky”, not “Karen”!

I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

I don't believe you. Expensive neighbourhoods don't cater to vagrants of
    any colour but paint yourself black and you're in for a good tasering at least.

Back to your original colour, you still have to explain why you are far
    from home at two a.m. Your embarrassment will not help you

In the Land of Freedom I would think you already have the right to bring
    a civil suit against anyone, for anything at anytime if you have the money

Critical thinking y'all

Should have said that yeah this is a waste of any local governments time and
    effort. And what Sobchak said
    Last edited by limitles; 10-22-2020 at 01:05 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    FFS, San Francisco! You should have figured out how to make that law’s acronym sound like “Becky”, not “Karen”!
    If Druff was a woman, 100% his name would be Karen

Load Metric
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Nicky Pipes solution: Never call the police

Brother why do you think my house is protected by a pack of dingoes and armed security? Brothers you come here with bad intentions we aren’t “calling mom”

Gold
    Load Metric
    Cant you sue anyone for anything anyways? Correct me if I am interpreting the law wrong, but what are the actual practical implications of this law in the legal system?

I mean, dont get me wrong. I think this law is ridiculous whether it is purely symbolic or has actual legal ramifications. But I mean this is like year 10 of San Fran doing dumb shit like this (probably a lot longer even). So at some point if you aren't willing to go live somewhere else it is on you if you live in San Fran and get beaten up or killed by a crazy homeless person, get your car broken into 5 times a year, or get sued for calling 911 on a suspicious person.

I mean I realize it sucks to have what was once a cool city turn into a garbage dump. I took trips to San Fran as a kid and have fond memories. But I am never taking my kids there. Took a road trip to Santa Rosa a couple years ago where we drove through and never thought of stopping in the city. But at some point it just is what it is, and you have to face reality and move on.

Load Metric
    And where does DWAI's city rank on the list? SF was # 1.

NYC loses top spot on 'world's best' list that names San Francisco a better place to live

San Francisco has been crowned the world's best city by entertainment guide "Time Out" on its annual list.
    "Time Out" used a panel of its own experts, then polled 27,000 global city dwellers about food, drink, culture, social life and sustainability.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ty/5782491001/

Comments

Cerveza Fria: fake dupe news
    San Francisco crowned the ‘world’s best’ city to live: survey
    https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...o-live-survey/

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyG_415 View Post

NYC loses top spot on 'world's best' list that names San Francisco a better place to live

San Francisco has been crowned the world's best city by entertainment guide "Time Out" on its annual list.
    "Time Out" used a panel of its own experts, then polled 27,000 global city dwellers about food, drink, culture, social life and sustainability.

Name:  tent-city_1456526206488_900004_ver1.0.gif
Views: 147
Size:  437.7 KB

yeah looks lovely

Load Metric

The irony of this post is amazing now that Texas Republicans have empowered vigilantes to sue people they’ve never met or seen for something that didn’t even happen to them.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by dwai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyG_415 View Post

Name:  tent-city_1456526206488_900004_ver1.0.gif
Views: 147
Size:  437.7 KB

yeah looks lovely

Come on I expected at least a poop on the sidewalk image. Put a little effort into it.

Load Metric
    Honestly who would want to live downtown in any large city?

I did in Chicago for a semester in undergrad and quickly grew to hate it - trains, traffic, people everywhere, etc.

Fun to visit cities for like a weekend, but living in a huge metropolis would quickly suck the life out of me, regardless of how much money I had.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Thread Information