Thread: Does the no carb diet really work?

Load Metric

Does the no carb diet really work?

I am trying to get super healthy in Covid-19, because it appears it is not going away. I am about 10lbs overweight, and I do flutter up to 20lbs overweight. My BMI usually is in the mid 20s but I am in my 40s now so that can get tricky.

I hate with a passion being overweight, and tried numerous diets, they work for a few weeks then fail. I am thinking about stripping carbs out like 80%. I get you cant remove them 100%, but 80% is a good ratio.

Anyone gone on a relative carb free diet? Not looking for flames, just looking to dodge another bout of Covid-19. I have given up most booze, not all but a lot. Issue is I sugar fiend at night, ice cream is the worst invention ever, when I am not drinking I crave sugar treats.

Having alcohol in my system generally is a huge benefit, I sleep so much better. When I am dry for a few days, I get paranoid at night. Usually about 3am when I take a leak.

Comments

FRANKRIZZO: gave up booze

splitthis: 315am is the time of the devil, sleep with a bible

Platinum
    Load Metric
    It depends if you want to buy products, or make your own at home.

As such there are ice cream recipes that use sugar replacements that are generally indistinguishable from "normal" icecream.
    It is a bit pricey however if you make it youself.

As you've highlighted, it is sticking with the low/no carb diet continuously, cheat days will make you fiend out.
    When faced with a difficult decision, ask yourself "What would Micon do?", then do the opposite.

PFA Rookie of the Year Awards
    2012: The Templar (unknown)
    2013: Jasep $5000+
    2015: Micon's gofundme legal defense $3k begging for 100k:
    2018: 4Dragons
    2019: Dutch Boyd: Mike Postle
    2020: Covid19
    2021: SMIFlorida and some sort of shit coins for $50k
    2022: BDubs leaks chums club info
    2023: 22nd Feb 4th Dec Youtube channels removed
    2024: Dustin Morgan wins Chrissy's $1000 contest

Load Metric
    Lowfat is better, for your ice cream craves get Kemp’s fat free frozen yogurt. Get some exercise program going, whatever you enjoy doing or if you don’t enjoy anything, get a good music list going to do something you may not like. It makes the time fly while improving your overall health.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    I am trying to get super healthy in Covid-19, because it appears it is not going away. I am about 10lbs overweight, and I do flutter up to 20lbs overweight. My BMI usually is in the mid 20s but I am in my 40s now so that can get tricky.

I hate with a passion being overweight, and tried numerous diets, they work for a few weeks then fail. I am thinking about stripping carbs out like 80%. I get you cant remove them 100%, but 80% is a good ratio.

Anyone gone on a relative carb free diet? Not looking for flames, just looking to dodge another bout of Covid-19. I have given up most booze, not all but a lot. Issue is I sugar fiend at night, ice cream is the worst invention ever, when I am not drinking I crave sugar treats.

Having alcohol in my system generally is a huge benefit, I sleep so much better. When I am dry for a few days, I get paranoid at night. Usually about 3am when I take a leak.
    You will have to exercise if you won’t give up the booze, like math wise it’s impossible to lose weight in your 40s otherwise.

Honestly if you upped your water intake and slowly dropped your booze intake while slowly adding exercise the hydration and exhaustion from exercise would fix the sleep.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Yes it absolutely works. Keep to either 30 net carbs or 50 carbs a day. You’ll lose weight. Join keto sites and groups. *Disclaimer - not a doctor- don’t know long term effects - can only say several family members are doing Keto the last 4 years and have success. They believe in it. I did it for a while and it worked. May go back soon. No bread, no sugar is the main take away.

Load Metric
    I've dropped 20lbs myself over the past 2 months.

Funny enough I ended up drunk in the pub talking to a lad i know who had just started working for himself as a personal trainer. Seemed a good idea at the time to sign up with him and I paid for my first session then.

Once I had sobered couple days later up he messaged me to see if I still wanted to start training with him. It's great as knowing you have sessions booked and paid for in advance means you won't end up bailing out on exercising.

I'd never been one for going the gym and was really sore after for the first couple of sessions but stick with it as will get easier.

Am doing 2 sessions a week with him plus cycling and lifting some weights at home most days now but for first few weeks was just doing the 2 sessions.

If you really want to commit to dropping the weight and keeping it off then you could look into doing this yourself but tbh if it wasnt someone I already knew I couldnt see myself hiring a random person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"

Load Metric
    Alternatively if you want to go for it yourself one thing he got me doing is using an app called myfitnesspal to track everything you eat.

At first I thought that was dumb but went along with it and it definitely helped, no more than 1900 cal and 160g of protein / 120g carb / 60g fat I started on if you can eat something similar and exercise am sure you can lose weigh too.

If you are working out then you want to hit the protein goal as often as possible and try eat less than the carbs / fat limit.

Other thing he got me doing is having protein shakes, again thought was dumb but its a good way to hit the protein goal without using many cals.

I've tried eating very low carb before but very hard to stick to and your body ends up craving them, plus I like drinking beer too much.

Now I still get out for a pint couple days a week and obv consume way over 1900 cal those days but most days I'm about 1500 cal so evens out.

So yeah I went from 210 lbs to 190 in the past 2 months by exercising more and eating less I think thats the best way rather than trying random diets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"

Load Metric

Comments

Muck Ficon: This is correct

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Most of the fad diets work because people simply eat less.

Calories = weight. There is no magic strategy. It's mostly a question of not feeling hungry and eating less.

Don't get hung up on minutia of ice cream or whatever. It's a question of overall calories. If you eat 4000 calories of healthiest salad ever, you will get fat also. Just as the professor that did the all Snickers diet and lost weight. (by eating a very limited amount each day.)

What most people need to lose weight is a lifestyle adjustment. Become more active and be more conscious about what you eat. It's a lot harder to eat junk if you don't have any junk in the closet and it takes 30 minutes to drive to walmart to get it if you crave it. Same with alcohol.

Adding some exercise can be very beneficial not because it burns a few calories, but because it can increase your metabolism, it will help you sleep, and it is another activity where you are burning calories instead of eating calories. Find a sport you have some passion for and get into it.

It will be hard at first but at some point, you forget the old habits and new healthier habits become part of your normal life and you don't feel like you are missing anything.

Thread Information