Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm being sued by Mike Postle, as are ESPN, Doug Polk, Joey Ingram, Bart Hanson, Phil Galfond, Matt Berkey, Daniel Negreanu, Jonathan Little, Veronica Brill, Haralabob, and Pokernews

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shrink View Post
    From the article Belly Buster posted:

The crux of Postle’s lawsuit is that his accusers were aware they were lying when they called him a cheater on Twitter, YouTube, or other media outlets. “Not only did defendants, and each of them, have no reasonable basis to believe these statements,” the complaint says, “but they also had no belief in the truth of these statements, and in fact knew the statements to be false.”
    Wait, does his lawsuit actually say this? So Postle is saying, for example, Todd really believed that Postle DID NOT cheat but claimed Postle cheated anyways...because reasons? Really? That's just objectively untrue. The defendants all believe Postle cheated.

How can Postle possibly win this case?

just devils advocating this;

without tangible evidence of wrongdoing, no good faith argument can be made that he cheated.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric

The crux of Postle’s lawsuit is that his accusers were aware they were lying when they called him a cheater on Twitter, YouTube, or other media outlets. “Not only did defendants, and each of them, have no reasonable basis to believe these statements,” the complaint says, “but they also had no belief in the truth of these statements, and in fact knew the statements to be false.”
    Wait, does his lawsuit actually say this? So Postle is saying, for example, Todd really believed that Postle DID NOT cheat but claimed Postle cheated anyways...because reasons? Really? That's just objectively untrue. The defendants all believe Postle cheated.

Agree with all your statements and this is why I believe a jury hearing this would have to surmise that the defendants acted in unison, as a sort of conspiracy, to taint our pure Postle fellow. How is this possible to prove? Yeah, Doug Polk and DNegs getting together with this Motley Poker Crew to shoot down some Sacremento 3rd or 4th tier "pro"...there's no motive to injure his reputation and there's no conspiracy.

Case will never get to a jury of course; it's designed to intimidate.

Hope it backfires big, but hard to get blood from a stone (no pun intended).

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post

without tangible evidence of wrongdoing, no good faith argument can be made that he cheated.
    i believe most of the arguments that were made centered on the statistical improbability of his winrates in these games...

and i know sample size LOL, but you would still be looking at the very tippy tail end of the distribution...

Load Metric

That's the crux of any libel lawsuit. It's not libel to simply lie based on information that you have. People do that all the time. You have to intentionally lie and do so for the purposes of defaming somebody. Even if Postle could somehow prove without question that he was innocent and didn't cheat, that wouldn't be enough for him to win a libel case. He'd also have to prove that the defendants had knowledge of this at the time they were making their accusations. He has no chance.
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Load Metric

Hate to play internet lawyer here, but they don't need to prove that he cheated. Postle needs to prove that he didn't cheat. And he needs to prove that they knew he didn't cheat and decided to lie anyway for purposes of defaming him.

There's a reason it's very hard to win a libel lawsuit. It's a little thing we like to call, the first amendment. The law errs on the side of free speech. It's not enough for somebody to simply print untruths. If that was the case half this forum would be locked up!

Postle has no chance of winning this case. He doesn't even have the resources to make it all that difficult. I guess he's hoping people won't want to fight it and will just settle and he can claim victory that way? But he kinda picked on the wrong group of people. I think he's just delusional (please don't sue me for saying this, Postle!)

Comments

gauchojake: lol half of this forum should be locked up
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PLOL View Post

Hate to play internet lawyer here, but they don't need to prove that he cheated. Postle needs to prove that he didn't cheat. And he needs to prove that they knew he didn't cheat and decided to lie anyway for purposes of defaming him.

There's a reason it's very hard to win a libel lawsuit. It's a little thing we like to call, the first amendment. The law errs on the side of free speech. It's not enough for somebody to simply print untruths. If that was the case half this forum would be locked up!

Postle has no chance of winning this case. He doesn't even have the resources to make it all that difficult. I guess he's hoping people won't want to fight it and will just settle and he can claim victory that way? But he kinda picked on the wrong group of people. I think he's just delusional (please don't sue me for saying this, Postle!)
    well, if indeed he has no chance, then shouldn't the defense motion for a summary judgement of dismissal with prejudice?
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post

well, if indeed he has no chance, then shouldn't the defense motion for a summary judgement of dismissal with prejudice?
    Yes, you very smart cookie and I think think this will happen.

Load Metric

Summary judgment motions are expensive and rarely granted. They are great way to milk the client and then say: “sorry the judge screwed us”.

Load Metric

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Wars View Post
    Yes, you very smart cookie and I think think this will happen.

I'm going with no, a judge is very, very unlikely to do that, since there is no reason for the lawsuit to be thrown out on legal merits, which is why a judge would issue such a dismissal if he/she were gonna do such a thing.

Bronze
    Load Metric

This is essentially correct. Anti-SLAPP laws exist for cases like this. Defendants who do not go the anti-SLAPP route in this matter should consider changing counsel.

Load Metric

I’m wondering whether Postle filed this lawsuit so that doing so, and all of the drama likely to be generated from it, is included in the documentary that Dave Broome is producing.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    In that article it’s saying that Veronica has form for baseless accusations and that she was the one who got the ball rolling with this conspiracy to slander / libel him and therefore every other noted party is defaming him by association to her.

Kinda weak and where does this 330 mill come from it’s a peculiarly exorbitant and arbitrary number to pluck out of thin air is this guy a Freemason by any chance they love the number 33?

And it’s all well and good a bunch of GTO understanding poker pros analysing his unorthodox play and arguing he can’t sustain a big win rate playing like that but in a court of law that isn’t much of an argument when the judge and jury have little knowledge of poker and can chalk his wins off as a fish on a heater.

What’s in the hat is the main case of evidence but it can’t be proven either stalemate it is.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by RegGaymer View Post
    In that article it’s saying that Veronica has form for baseless accusations and that she was the one who got the ball rolling with this conspiracy to slander / libel him and therefore every other noted party is defaming him by association to her.

Kinda weak and where does this 330 mill come from it’s a peculiarly exorbitant and arbitrary number to pluck out of thin air is this guy a Freemason by any chance they love the number 33?

And it’s all well and good a bunch of GTO understanding poker pros analysing his unorthodox play and arguing he can’t sustain a big win rate playing like that but in a court of law that isn’t much of an argument when the judge and jury have little knowledge of poker and can chalk his wins off as a fish on a heater.

What’s in the hat is the main case of evidence but it can’t be proven either stalemate it is.
    yes he's a freemason

god how we missed you

I'm gonna go with the usual lawyer math here and say they based it on his ability to earn money playing poker x years + damages

Load Metric
    I’ve been thinking about this a bit.

I live a pretty lucky life now but that wasn’t the case when I was a kid. Getting away with cheating is one thing, bragging about it and doubling down is another.

There was always a few guys in the neighborhood who did this and they were met with a pipe or knucks.

Seems like a risky play on his part.

Best vigilante justice story was when I was in the 8th grade these two kids were picking on this other kid, on the bus ride home. The kid getting picked on grabbed one of the kids stuff, and tossed it out the window near a stop. Kid ran out to get his stuff, picked on kid follows, kicks him in the nuts and head, and stomps on his face. Then runs back on the bus where the driver just shrugs, picked on kid goes to the back and beats the living shit out of the other kid picking on him. Then gets off the bus at the next stop. Literally nothing ever happened, cause that’s just a Tuesday riding the bus where I grew up.

Also, don’t fuck with Bosnian kids who saw siblings, parents and other family members get killed. They don’t fuck around.

Load Metric
    Postle has aready won by finding a shyster to file the case.

The defendants have all shut up, they are scrambling for $ to pay for their defense, and Postle is going to be in the movies.

Load Metric
    So he is suing you and all of these other people for saying that MIKE POSTLE CHEATED?

This is a very serious allegation, the allegation that Mike Postle cheated.

Remember that truth is a defense to libel or slander, so to defend yourself, you and the other defendants can investigate whether Mike Postle cheated.

Me myself, I don't know whether Mike Postle cheated.

But you can put him on the stand in court to determine whether Mike Postle cheated.

His play at the tables raises questions about whether Mike Postle cheated.

His brother once commented that for his whole life, Mike Postle cheated.

But just because according to his brother, Mike Postle cheated for his whole life, this doesn't mean that Mike Postle cheated this time, so you will need to find some evidence that Mike Postle cheated.

Good luck finding the evidence that Mike Postle cheated.

Comments

Tellafriend: Are you saying that Mike Postel cheated?

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Rest In Peace
    Load Metric

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    So he is suing you and all of these other people for saying that MIKE POSTLE CHEATED?

This is a very serious allegation, the allegation that Mike Postle cheated.

Remember that truth is a defense to libel or slander, so to defend yourself, you and the other defendants can investigate whether Mike Postle cheated.

Me myself, I don't know whether Mike Postle cheated.

But you can put him on the stand in court to determine whether Mike Postle cheated.

His play at the tables raises questions about whether Mike Postle cheated.

His brother once commented that for his whole life, Mike Postle cheated.

But just because according to his brother, Mike Postle cheated for his whole life, this doesn't mean that Mike Postle cheated this time, so you will need to find some evidence that Mike Postle cheated.

Good luck finding the evidence that Mike Postle cheated.

A confession from him would suffice,,
    would not take 2 hrs.
    word.

Load Metric
    Stupid question.

Since Brill is an atheist and nihilist how do you swear her in so she is subject to criminal prosecution if she does not tell the truth?

It appears that she has never had a pernicious thought she failed to share through Twitter, Facebook, a podcast, Instagram, or the press she is toast.

When this is all done she will have done more to damage the poker economy than anyone since the boom.

It became common knowledge that CA will not punish cheaters, the poker press has to be more careful in their reporting, and the cost of defense is going to drain the economy.

PS, $50,000 is a drop in the bucket for the cost of her defense. There are hundreds of hours of video, tweets, interviews, and podcasts that will have to reviewed at $150 to $500 an hour.
    Last edited by turdzilla; 10-11-2020 at 08:54 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by turdzilla View Post
    Stupid question.

Since Brill is an atheist and nihilist how do you swear her in so she is subject to criminal prosecution if she does not tell the truth?
    When did Brill say that she was a nihilist?

But to address the meat of your question...

Contrary to what religious conservatives claim, the United States of America is NOT a country based on a belief in God. Hence, the courts allows for those who don’t want to recognize “God” as the ultimate moral authority when being sworn in to give an “affirmation” that they won’t lie under oath.

Comments

Walter Sobchak: this too
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Todd Witteles
    The Poker Fraud Alert radio station and website owner makes the list by virtue of stating:

“The FACTS are that Mike clearly cheated” and “Mike is cheating…” as well as “…so clearly has an accomplice communicating with him.”
    Witteles, who goes by the pseudonym Dan Druff on his PFA site, has already vowed to fight the lawsuit, describing it as “frivolous.”

Thread Information