I have some recollection of Todd mentioning he mostly listens to Country? So where you are with favorite artists, recent larger trends and just plain weird shit like the best known/most popular artist being a black gay guy and/or Miley Cyrus's dad?

For my part, i doubt i listened any country before GTAs (San Andreas) country radio and then i was bamboozeled into watching too many seasons of Nashville because of the cheerleader chick from Heroes was in it.

From people i know most crossover appeal likely went to Hank III. He's kinda country royalty by blood and it helped he had heavier side projects. Best known was likely Superjoint Ritual headed by Phil Anselmo.

And i always liked The Highwaymen. Outlaw country in general shares quite few common things with music genres i'm more familiar with.

Dunno how you feel about the Cash's return to limelight in his last years when he started doing more covers that got traction. Like to a degree that he is the first country singer most people can name. Oh then there's Taylor Swift, but i doubt anyone even remembers where she came from.