Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non political Country music thread for Druff and anyone else even mildly interested

Load Metric

Non political Country music thread for Druff and anyone else even mildly interested

I have some recollection of Todd mentioning he mostly listens to Country? So where you are with favorite artists, recent larger trends and just plain weird shit like the best known/most popular artist being a black gay guy and/or Miley Cyrus's dad?

For my part, i doubt i listened any country before GTAs (San Andreas) country radio and then i was bamboozeled into watching too many seasons of Nashville because of the cheerleader chick from Heroes was in it.

From people i know most crossover appeal likely went to Hank III. He's kinda country royalty by blood and it helped he had heavier side projects. Best known was likely Superjoint Ritual headed by Phil Anselmo.

And i always liked The Highwaymen. Outlaw country in general shares quite few common things with music genres i'm more familiar with.

Dunno how you feel about the Cash's return to limelight in his last years when he started doing more covers that got traction. Like to a degree that he is the first country singer most people can name. Oh then there's Taylor Swift, but i doubt anyone even remembers where she came from.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I found country music in mid-1993 when I was turning radio stations during a long drive, and liked some of the songs I heard.

I got more into it a few months later when I moved to Riverside, CA -- where there was a lot of country music fandom and four (!!) country radio stations in the area.

I liked that era of country because it was kind of a hybrid of traditional country and 1980s pop, without being too pop-like. This era was from the early 1980s to the late 1990s, though I also like some of the country music from the years immediately preceding and following.

Never got into the whole Outlaw Country thing. I tried it, but it just didn't appeal to me.

I actually think that the political songs are among the weaker offerings, as they're often lazily put together and too pandering. I did like Toby Keith's "Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue", and laughed at the controversy which followed, but that's an exception.

You're right that few remember Taylor Swift began in country in the late 2000s. Her career ascension was actually brilliant. Took the easier path in through country, then crossed over, then became pop. The "angsty teenage girl" market is actually huge and relatively easy to connect with, and is often underutilized. Look at how "Titanic" went from expected embarrassing flop to the biggest grossing movie of all time, specifically thanks to that market. While I don't like some things about her behavior in recent years, I'll give her respect for doing her career exactly right. This was no accident or stroke of luck.

Did you know that Thomas Rhett is the son of a lesser known '90s artist named Rhett Akins? I actually liked Akins' work a lot in the mid-90s, and he was oddly one of David Letterman's favorite artists, but he ended up not really going anywhere beyond that.

There are some random thoughts for you.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I want to also add that I've mostly lost interest in new country. In fact, anything made past 2005 just doesn't interest me much, with a few exceptions.

Pop music crept too much into country, and most modern country is unrecognizable from its roots.

Despite this, it seems there are fewer crossover hits these days.

Like, in 1977, this was a huge song on the country, hot 100, and adult contemporary charts:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I want to also add that I've mostly lost interest in new country. In fact, anything made past 2005 just doesn't interest me much, with a few exceptions.

Pop music crept too much into country, and most modern country is unrecognizable from its roots.
    Yea feel like that with most hip-hop after maybe 2008ish. The pop part happened much earlier, but production got really samey and dumbed down at some point.

I don't actually mind most pop songs from 80s and 90s. The selection is more cherry picked than with contemporary pop, but i still feel there was just more variety.

Country is one of those genres where it seems there's more multi-generational artist. Sure it happens in other genres but they don't maybe get picked up as often.

Pop music in the last 20ish years also has kinda weird connection with Disney Channel churning out child stars. Likely will hear the horror stories in a decade or two.

Platinum
    Load Metric

Chris Stapleton is country music to me. All the pop-country is trash IMO.

Comments

gimmick:

Load Metric

I actually think that the political songs are among the weaker offerings, as they're often lazily put together and too pandering. I did like Toby Keith's "Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue", and laughed at the controversy which followed, but that's an exception.
    Dawned on me while i was taking the dog out for a walk what you meant with the above.

I should have added a comma somewhere in the title.

I meant non political thread. I can't really think what political country would even mean.

Just that once upon a time we had a 20-80 split with political to non political threads, then after 2016 it has creeped to 80-20 and then after covid fucking up sports we're maybe at 10-90. I doubt we were ever polite company, but it might do good to have more threads where politics aren't mentioned.

Nuance tends to be lost with written words and there's not that much discussion when everyone defaults to assuming the worst or best by tribal division.

Load Metric
    In the latter half of the 90s, I was super big on Patty Lovelace...

Comments

gimmick:
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    The perfect country and western song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=vAOVRkSCWmg

Comments

gimmick: just looked up his project with Dimebag Darrell

Load Metric
    Look at how "Titanic" went from expected embarrassing flop to the biggest grossing movie of all time
    What the hell are you talking about??? “Titanic” came out very strong in its first week in the theatres and built into something even bigger than expected. From Wikipedia...

The film received steady attendance after opening in North America on Friday, December 19, 1997. By the end of that same weekend, theaters were beginning to sell out. The film earned $8,658,814 on its opening day and $28,638,131 over the opening weekend from 2,674 theaters, averaging to about $10,710 per venue, and ranking number one at the box office, ahead of the eighteenth James Bond film, Tomorrow Never Dies.
    And for the record, I can’t stand Taylor Swift’s music, but loved “Titanic”. I resisted seeing it when it first came out because I had the impression from the buzz that it was a pure chick flick. Then sometime later I saw it somehow (video rental, probably) and was blown away. Fantastic story, epic doomed hero, Kate Winslet was a hot little redhead, the special effects and cinematography were amazing, and Celine Dion’s voice in the main song was phenomenal.

Oh, and unlike that “Twilight” garbage, which appeals to Taylor Swift’s target demo, “Titanic” spawned a ton of awards, including “Best Director” at the Oscars.

Really, dude. Stick to what you know. Or at least google the topic before posting.
    Last edited by MumblesBadly; 09-25-2020 at 07:36 PM.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Before He Cheats by Carrie Underwood is a really good Country Song. Carrie is so unapologetically Vengeful in that song, ut is great. Despite being 14 years old, her song sounds really fresh and new, like it was made in 2020. That's how you know a song is good. Many songs from the 2000's sound REALLY outdated in 2020, but NOT Before He Cheats. On an interesting note, a male Radio DJ said something like, "I've never really listened to the lyrics of Before He Cheats before, but now that I've listened to the entire song, a Woman who did what Carrie did in this song in real life would not only get her ex REALLY mad, he'd most likely press charges and or sue her for Property Damage!"

Comments

dmndkutr: She was born in 1983 - song came out in 2005 - little bit older than 14

MumblesBadly: Chill, dmndkutr... But just so you know, Karen, Underwood didn’t *write* the song; she just sang it.
    Last edited by Karen Nathan; 09-25-2020 at 08:24 PM.

Load Metric

Comments

gimmick:

MumblesBadly: Excellent find
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    I stay to myself and keep out of trouble and/or potentially problematic scenarios

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    In the latter half of the 90s, I was super big on Patty Lovelace...

This one is pretty good if you ignore the horrible early 1990s fashion in the video

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Rhett Akins should have been more successful than he was. Even David Letterman agreed.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    This is a really good slow song from the mid-1990s from supergroup "Shenandoah"

Comments

gimmick:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Here's one from 2007:

Billy Currington was extremely successful with this song -- ranked the 2nd most popular in 2007!

It tells a charming story of a hick in a small town giving directions to a pretty girl from Hollywood, and then regretting that he didn't ask for her phone number. (Unlike some country songs, it has a happy ending.)

Oddly, it never had a music video, which I thought was a huge mistake at the time.

Platinum
    Load Metric

Comments

gimmick:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Comments

gimmick:
    Last edited by limitles; 11-02-2020 at 10:03 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Just jumping on Wiggies band wagon

Thread Information