Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
Quote Originally Posted by dwai View Post
dang Druff, les giving it to you big time.

I also don't understand why you order online/"custom built" laptops, just go to a store and buy one, there's nothing special about what you're getting, get 16 gigs of ram, 2tb solid state HD, and fucking windows 10, you act like you're gaming or editing video, as long as you have stereo mix why are you "custom building" a laptop from hp of all places. to save a hundred bucks?
If you walk into Best Buy and get a laptop, you're still dealing with HP for a lot of support issues, and they're far less wiling to do anything for you at the middle management level because you bought it third party.

If I were to ask, "Does this laptop have stereo mix?" at the store, I would get blank looks from everyone, as I would if I brought it back to complain it was missing.

Basically all you're gaining from buying it at a store is speed. In the case of initial hardware issues like my rattling touchpad, that's an easier fix. In the case of any warranty or software issues like this stereo mix thing, you're actually at a disadvantage.

Also it tends to be a little more expensive, and you're sometimes paying for shit you don't need or want. Also there aren't all that many ready-to-buy 17 inch options which meet my requirements.
No, I don't even buy the Best Buy scenario. Most outlets now prefer that you make an online purchase and pick it up at their location. So your requirements, the one's you stipulated online,
would be no different. It would still be you picking the specs but with a different delivery location. The cost of you picking that purchase up is probably equal to or less than the
cost of time lost and frustration by dealing directly online.