Thread: Olive branch to dwai and anyone else interested in metal

Load Metric

Olive branch to dwai and anyone else interested in metal

In some other thread you mentioned interest and active participation.

Basically what's the landscape in US? What are you doing and how are the venues/scene in general?

I wasted about a decade of my life being a part of non profit bar/music venue. A hundred year old church that was repurposed for live music. I think i probably saw north of a 1k acts there.

I don't know that much about metal. Being a Finn it's basically part of curriculum to know the history/basics. We align more based on neighborhoods as kids than common interest. From the bar standards of ACDC, Iron Maiden and Metallica to 90s shit like Dimmu Borgir and Burzum it's just ingrained to where and when i'm from.

I know a little bit how certain punk genres like grind core toured globally, living on kind souls floors to scraping the travel costs to play venues. A bit what zines did to that scene and so fort. But i have no idea where metal is on your side of the sea. Like complete blank after hair metal and abomination of nu-metal.

I'd guess at least a few members have something to say about the subject.

Comments

big dick: .

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmick View Post

Basically what's the landscape in US? What are you doing and how are the venues/scene in general?

I wasted about a decade of my life being a part of non profit bar/music venue. A hundred year old church that was repurposed for live music. I think i probably saw north of a 1k acts there.

I don't know that much about metal. Being a Finn it's basically part of curriculum to know the history/basics. We align more based on neighborhoods as kids than common interest. From the bar standards of ACDC, Iron Maiden and Metallica to 90s shit like Dimmu Borgir and Burzum it's just ingrained to where and when i'm from.

I know a little bit how certain punk genres like grind core toured globally, living on kind souls floors to scraping the travel costs to play venues. A bit what zines did to that scene and so fort. But i have no idea where metal is on your side of the sea. Like complete blank after hair metal and abomination of nu-metal.

the underground metal scene here is pretty good(southeast Michigan), strong fans, not so strong music. I listen to bands like cattle decapitation, necrophagist, infant annihilator, and obviously classic like cannibal corpse, deicide. a lot of local bands from the early 2000s that are no longer together (lol), but yeah cattle comes here every couple years and the crowds are always strong and really into it

Comments

big dick: .

Load Metric
    also they say the heavier you go it's hard to turn back and I gotta agree, cannibal corpse is a bit slow for me now, and I also appreciate good bass that doesn't just follow the guitar all the time

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by dwai View Post

the underground metal scene here is pretty good(southeast Michigan), strong fans, not so strong music. I listen to bands like cattle decapitation, necrophagist, infant annihilator, and obviously classic like cannibal corpse, deicide. a lot of local bands from the early 2000s that are no longer together (lol), but yeah cattle comes here every couple years and the crowds are always strong and really into it
    That's cool to hear. Cannibal corpse is the only band i recognize. I love any grassroots support of any genre. That's really the only way most genres stay alive and any true evolution happens.

Sometimes the pop sphere braces whatever genre, but the cost tends to be cutting any edges and follow-up is just emulating what sold before.

Random thing i forgot mention that about a 1/10 of all ethnic Finns live in US. First ones settled with New Sweden in 1638. The biggest wave of immigrants came late 19th and early 20th century. Almost all of them live in the great lakes and north east area. Most of them in Michigan and Minnesota. I like most Finns have blood relatives still living there.

Mine aren't too close. Like they branched few generations ago. They visited here some years ago doing the rounds with all distant relatives. My mom still does the Christmas card routine and helps them with finding their roots.
    Last edited by gimmick; 09-24-2020 at 09:10 AM.

Load Metric
    also they say the heavier you go it's hard to turn back and I gotta agree, cannibal corpse is a bit slow for me now, and I also appreciate good bass that doesn't just follow the guitar all the time
    Yea i know what you mean. At some point it's an acquired taste. If you missed the previous steps, you're not going to get the last steps.

I top out at mostly rock/hard rock area. Doors, Lemmy and monster magnet. Then branching somewhere towards Patton/Bungle type of things.

Load Metric
    Yea i know what you mean. At some point it's an acquired taste. If you missed the previous steps, you're not going to get the last steps.

I top out at mostly rock/hard rock area. Doors, Lemmy and monster magnet. Then branching somewhere towards Patton/Bungle type of things.
    very true, i don't know how old you are but I'm in my mid 30s and I can listen to anything really, from the Beatles, doors, pink Floyd, all the way up to Tupac, biggie, e40, Eminem, dre, but i think we can all agree that mumble rap has ruined the rap/hip hop genre/scene and I don't know if it'll ever recover

Comments

gimmick: true true about mumble rap and early 40s

Load Metric

a little slow in parts, but it's off their newest album

Load Metric

very true, i don't know how old you are but I'm in my mid 30s and I can listen to anything really, from the Beatles, doors, pink Floyd, all the way up to Tupac, biggie, e40, Eminem, dre, but i think we can all agree that mumble rap has ruined the rap/hip hop genre/scene and I don't know if it'll ever recover
    Eminem getting big must have been huge in Michigan when you grew up. I liked the first 2 albums and after that a few random songs. I remember Marshall Mathers LP as the first album with any crossover appeal with metal heads. Obv there was horrorcore before that i doubt the production really clicked.

When i grew up in the mid 90s the world wasn't as interconnected. Yo! MTV Raps was a thing. I think it aired before or after Headbangers Ball. Mainstream hip-hop was bastardized with R&B and on any given month there was maybe one decent song on day time rotation. That's with MTV Europe, no idea how it was on your side of the sea.

For the longest time with Hip-Hop there was 2 coasts and nothing in between for most people.

Weirdly here Tupac and Biggie dying weren't really that of big of thing. Fairly sure you're not supposed to say that anymore. From the west, NWA was huge and as such Eazy-E dying was big and more than a decade later Mac Dre is the one loss i remember from the Bay.

From the east i mostly liked Gang Star and MOP. And then obv Wu-Tang Clan. For us Biggie was in the Puffy camp and no one liked Puffy.

Anyway random ramblings. Today Hip-Hop is like half the pop chart and subculture went with the Rockabilly route of freezing time killing all variety/nuance from the music, clothes and the way they talk. Oversized headphones and empty backpacks.

Comments

dwai: I grew up in Ohio, but yeah, great post, thanks for sharing

Load Metric
    Eminem getting big must have been huge in Michigan when you grew up. I liked the first 2 albums and after that a few random songs. I remember Marshall Mathers LP as the first album with any crossover appeal with metal heads. Obv there was horrorcore before that i doubt the production really clicked.

When i grew up in the mid 90s the world wasn't as interconnected. Yo! MTV Raps was a thing. I think it aired before or after Headbangers Ball. Mainstream hip-hop was bastardized with R&B and on any given month there was maybe one decent song on day time rotation. That's with MTV Europe, no idea how it was on your side of the sea.

For the longest time with Hip-Hop there was 2 coasts and nothing in between for most people.

Weirdly here Tupac and Biggie dying weren't really that of big of thing. Fairly sure you're not supposed to say that anymore. From the west, NWA was huge and as such Eazy-E dying was big and more than a decade later Mac Dre is the one loss i remember from the Bay.

From the east i mostly liked Gang Star and MOP. And then obv Wu-Tang Clan. For us Biggie was in the Puffy camp and no one liked Puffy.

Anyway random ramblings. Today Hip-Hop is like half the pop chart and subculture went with the Rockabilly route of freezing time killing all variety/nuance from the music, clothes and the way they talk. Oversized headphones and empty backpacks.
    yeah, mtv was cool, headbanger's ball was nice although it was a little before my time, same with yo mtv raps, I do remember when they actually played videos though, then they into anybody who can skateboard can have a show, mtv2, you know the deal.

yeah the younger kids don't appreciate any rap that came before their time and could give a shit less about Tupac and biggie, it's kinda sad

Comments

gimmick: yea MTV shit the bed

Thread Information