Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting article about major banks allowing large criminal organizations to easily move money around

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Your Wells Fargo story is very similar to mine when I tried withdrawing 15K at a branch that is not my local branch. The money has been sitting there for years, and I rarely used this account. An hour of back and fourth and they would not give me my money that morning. I had to come back later that afternoon at which point they did give me my money.

Most of these banks have fairly straightforward algos that look for unusual account behavior. If someone is depositing X and withdrawing X all the time, it does not trigger any flags and you would be surprised at the huge transactions people do painlessly all the time. But if a transaction stands out compared to typical account activity, it triggers some warnings in the same way that we sometimes have to enter our zip code at the fuel pump when we go on a road trip to areas we usually do not go to: unusual activity that does not jive with account transaction history.

Are retail banks antiquated? I'm not so sure. They are opening up more and branches here on Manhattan to the point that people are complaining that half the street is more bank branches.

As for dealerships, they have been making tons of money via service departments. Commissions on cars are miniscule compared to the margins at the service dept. Those car sales drive lucrative years of service bills. That's my impression anyway... There is a great This American Life podcast episode about a car dealership selling cars you might be interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by ftpjesus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackPipes and Kakfights View Post
    At the end of today buy a us financial services etf.
    Some serious Puts being posted on Options market for $XLF. The Nov monthly calls at 26 are down to 40cts and the index is sitting at $24.10 2 months from contract date. That doesn’t bode well.

I am closing it out at the end of today. Double digit return in less than three months.

I will admit to being surprised at the amount of gain here. Annualized, this is huge.

Load Metric
    In China, which will soon be the world's biggest economy.

Most citizens don't use banks.

They use Wechat pay and Alipay, apps on smartphones.

You use QR codes to pay for everything.

Jaywalk across the street?

Cameras will scan your face and zap money for the fine right out of your account in seconds.

Banks will be a thing of the past.

Thread Information