Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Drawingdead View Post
I mean it’s not much different the obamas possible pick. Filibuster the nomination till the election. I hate politics

Because of precedent set by The Democrats a decade ago the “nuclear option” can be used which means a 51 majority vote can End a filibuster force a vote and in effect confirm a nominee.

So long story short they will give the Dems a full day, maybe longer, to bitch and moan but at some point very shortly we are going to get a new justice.

And what’s different this time is we have a majority senate that was just affirmed a year ago. The Obama seat the democrats had just lost the senate Which gave them the “right” (precedent a better word) to say the public may have changed its mind on this president so we should wait until the next election. No senate has changed hands and confirmed a justice Nominated by an opposing president since the 1800’s. It’s apples and oranges. If the democrats took back the senate a year ago Guarantee you They wouldn’t confirm a Trump justice.

this whole line of thinking is reflective of what's wrong with the system.

of course merrick garland should have been confirmed.

why? because the criteria for nominating someone should be experience, inteeligence, qualifications, etc. not how they wll vote. justices shouldn't even be asked how they will vote

people might be surprised to learn that the most conservative justice ever -- antonin scalia -- was confirmed *unanimously* back in the day. every dem voted for him

now senators ask the justices how they will vote on abortion and other issues, and presidents openly admit they will only pick justices who agree with them.

we are a total bunch of morons --and by we, i mean the voters -- because we endorse these tactics . in fact, we'll vote out senators who don't think like this.

all we care about is *winning* right now and don't care about our democracy surviving

*of course* the dems will pack the court when they are next in power. what else do we deserve?

the republicans would do the same thing if the roles were reversed.

so while republicans are applauding this, we should all be horribly depressed about how we are quickly becoming a failed experiment