Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MMA news and rumors thread

Load Metric

MMA news and rumors thread

A lot of fight announcements, news and rumours that don't really fit into their own thread so thought this might be a good thread to discuss some up coming fights.

Sonatine and I were chatting about the year end fight between Sonnen and Griffin. Most people don't seem to be a fan of it, I kinda like that matchup and hope to see Sonnen beat Griffin silly and move onto bigger names.

UFC on fox 5 looks to be a beauty. Headline is Nate Diaz vs Henderson, that fight seems impossible to be anything other than exciting. Shogun vs Gustafsson and Penn vs Macdonald which I also think is a great fight. The way Diaz has looked recently I think he will be too much for Henderson in a 5 round fight. If shogun comes in looking as out of shape as he did in his last fight he will lose and I think Penn is going to get beaten up by Macdonald. Great fight card.

Not sure of the details but I saw on the news today that Mayhem Miller was arrested in a church he had broken into, nude on a couch with fire extinguisher retardent all over the place. I loved that guy on his season of TUF but he seems to have some serious mental issues.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by peter mcneil View Post
    The way Diaz has looked recently I think he will be too much for Henderson...
    Yeah sure.

Rory MacDonald (granted at 170), threw Nate Diaz around the octagon like a rag doll.

Bendo will do the same to Nate at 155.

It will be a massacre.

Be sure to tune in.

Load Metric
    When Pettis was WEC champ Dana said he was next for title. Then he gets layed on by Guida but actually does alot more damage and throws up 100 sub attempts and loses. He beats up a few guys then kos Jlo in 1st round and after fight Dana says he gets the next shot another lie. I can't wait to see Pettis/Henderson 2. I think Dana doesnt want it, because he will have to admit the wec had better fighters, and Strikeforce has Melandez. I know Diaz dropped a weight class but he looked like a child vs Rory I was hoping Nick was going to jump in to try and help him 209 style.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyJ View Post
    When Pettis was WEC champ Dana said he was next for title. Then he gets layed on by Guida but actually does alot more damage and throws up 100 sub attempts and loses. He beats up a few guys then kos Jlo in 1st round and after fight Dana says he gets the next shot another lie. I can't wait to see Pettis/Henderson 2. I think Dana doesnt want it, because he will have to admit the wec had better fighters, and Strikeforce has Melandez. I know Diaz dropped a weight class but he looked like a child vs Rory I was hoping Nick was going to jump in to try and help him 209 style.
    Pettis isn't deserving of the title shot, plain and simple. You can't clearly lose a decision to Guida, win a controversial decision which was likely the wrong one against Stephens then get one win against a guy outside the top 5 and deserve a title shot. Pettis didn't 'beat up a few guys'. Pettis looks like he will fight Cerrone next, if he wins that fight and Henderson beats Diaz I think a rematch could be considered. Diaz is clearly the more deserving fighter at the moment for the title shot, since his loss to a huge 170lber in Macdonald he has absolutely walked through Gomi then two guys who were looking to be next in line for title shots in Ceronne and Miller. Diaz is dominating top 5 fighters while Pettis has looked like shit in 2/3 UFC fights, no brainer to give the title shot to diaz. I'm not sure what Melandez has to do with anything? I really don't think Henderson at 155 is going to be able to replicate what Macdonald was able to do to Diaz at 170, not even close.

Load Metric
    Pettis isn't deserving of the title shot, plain and simple. You can't clearly lose a decision to Guida, win a controversial decision which was likely the wrong one against Stephens then get one win against a guy outside the top 5 and deserve a title shot. Pettis didn't 'beat up a few guys'. Pettis looks like he will fight Cerrone next, if he wins that fight and Henderson beats Diaz I think a rematch could be considered. Diaz is clearly the more deserving fighter at the moment for the title shot, since his loss to a huge 170lber in Macdonald he has absolutely walked through Gomi then two guys who were looking to be next in line for title shots in Ceronne and Miller. Diaz is dominating top 5 fighters while Pettis has looked like shit in 2/3 UFC fights, no brainer to give the title shot to diaz. I'm not sure what Melandez has to do with anything? I really don't think Henderson at 155 is going to be able to replicate what Macdonald was able to do to Diaz at 170, not even close.
    Do you actually watch the fights? He dominated Stevans he outwrestled the wrestler. He kod JLO who didnt even hit him once. I'll admit that the Guida fight he lost by judging standards 10 out of 10 times because instead of trying to get up he was completely offensive on his back, which is just wrong in todays mma with everyone being good @ sub defense. Guida said after the fight that hes never faced anyone as tricky off their back as Pettis. Guida held him down for 3 rounds, but since then Pettis has really trained his wrestling with ben Askren and Askrens coach.

My point wasnt whos the most deserving my point is dana's a fuckin liar. He does it all the time in fact he just did it to shogun. I said when the WEC merged that Pettis and Henderson would be the best 2 in the UFC which they are. I do admit that Diaz looks great @ 155 after 2 str8 ass whoopins @ 170, and Diaz is definitely deserving, and I think he has a chance of winning. I dont agree that he will look like he did against Rory, but its hard to get that beating out of your mind because it looked like his father was whipping him for not taking out the garbage.

Load Metric

Do you actually watch the fights? He dominated Stevans he outwrestled the wrestler. He kod JLO who didnt even hit him once. I'll admit that the Guida fight he lost by judging standards 10 out of 10 times because instead of trying to get up he was completely offensive on his back, which is just wrong in todays mma with everyone being good @ sub defense. Guida said after the fight that hes never faced anyone as tricky off their back as Pettis. Guida held him down for 3 rounds, but since then Pettis has really trained his wrestling with ben Askren and Askrens coach.

My point wasnt whos the most deserving my point is dana's a fuckin liar. He does it all the time in fact he just did it to shogun. I said when the WEC merged that Pettis and Henderson would be the best 2 in the UFC which they are. I do admit that Diaz looks great @ 155 after 2 str8 ass whoopins @ 170, and Diaz is definitely deserving, and I think he has a chance of winning. I dont agree that he will look like he did against Rory, but its hard to get that beating out of your mind because it looked like his father was whipping him for not taking out the garbage.
    yeah I watch the fights, I thought he lost to Guida and looked like shit in the process, he even admitted he did. I thought he looked like shit against Stephens and got a very very close decision, a split decision. Who cares if Dana is a wind bag, his job is to put the best fights that make the most sense in the ring, not hold himself to every statement or word he says. I think Pettis would have got the title shot if it were not for some strange circumstances. After the Edgar/Maynard fight the option was put Pettis in there or Maynard and the Maynard rematch made more sense. After the first Henderson/Edgar fight the rematch made more sense. Diaz is far more deserving of the title shot, plain and simple. I don't really think you can quite say Pettis is a top 2 lightweight in the UFC, he has done nothing to deserve that ranking. He has looked shitty in 2/3 fights. Pettis is going to have his chance, a fight and win against Cerrone will likely put him into a title fight, especially if Henderson beats Diaz. Apparently it hasnt been too hard for Diaz to mentally move past the loss to Macdonald, he put serious ass kickings on Gomi, Cerrone and Miller since that time.

Load Metric

yeah I watch the fights, I thought he lost to Guida and looked like shit in the process, he even admitted he did. I thought he looked like shit against Stephens and got a very very close decision, a split decision. Who cares if Dana is a wind bag, his job is to put the best fights that make the most sense in the ring, not hold himself to every statement or word he says. I think Pettis would have got the title shot if it were not for some strange circumstances. After the Edgar/Maynard fight the option was put Pettis in there or Maynard and the Maynard rematch made more sense. After the first Henderson/Edgar fight the rematch made more sense. Diaz is far more deserving of the title shot, plain and simple. I don't really think you can quite say Pettis is a top 2 lightweight in the UFC, he has done nothing to deserve that ranking. He has looked shitty in 2/3 fights. Pettis is going to have his chance, a fight and win against Cerrone will likely put him into a title fight, especially if Henderson beats Diaz. Apparently it hasnt been too hard for Diaz to mentally move past the loss to Macdonald, he put serious ass kickings on Gomi, Cerrone and Miller since that time.
    He hasnt looked like shit. He lost to Guida by law and pray he did no damage to him at all. He was trying to hard to win fights excitingly, so after that fight he and duke decided to focus on getting the w instead of being Showtime, so he went into the Stephans fight with the gameplan of doing what Guida did to him because thats what wins in the judges eyes. Pettis was never a wrestler, and he took Stephans down at will, so saying he looked bad is just wrong. When you beat someone at their own game when its the weakest part of your game its pretty impressive. I know him so im biased, but im telling you no one would beat him in a 5 round match hes just too well rounded. Watch the beatdown he puts on Cerrone he is going to kill him.

Load Metric
    Nate also lost a decision to Guida, and that started a streak of 5 loses in 8 fights. Hes looked really good since dropping down, but lets not make him out to be someone hes not.

Load Metric

He hasnt looked like shit. He lost to Guida by law and pray he did no damage to him at all. He was trying to hard to win fights excitingly, so after that fight he and duke decided to focus on getting the w instead of being Showtime, so he went into the Stephans fight with the gameplan of doing what Guida did to him because thats what wins in the judges eyes. Pettis was never a wrestler, and he took Stephans down at will, so saying he looked bad is just wrong. When you beat someone at their own game when its the weakest part of your game its pretty impressive. I know him so im biased, but im telling you no one would beat him in a 5 round match hes just too well rounded. Watch the beatdown he puts on Cerrone he is going to kill him.
    He looked like shit against Guida, plain and simple. He did no damage standing, got taken down over and over and controlled on the ground. It was a boring, shitty fight. I think you need to watch the Stephens fight again, it was very very close. A guy looking to get a title shot needs to be winning against Guida and dominating a guy like Stephens. Stephens has an ok wrestling background but you can hardly call him an mma wrestler, he stands and bangs in all his fights, rarely goes for any takedowns at all. Pettis didnt beat him standing, he won the fight based on a couple of takedowns which he followed up with no damage. You saw what Cerrone did to Stephens? That is what I expected Pettis to do, not squeek out an ugly decision that was very close. Pettis is a huge talent and I think his time will come, my point is that he has not looked good in 2/3 UFC fights and clearly hasnt earned the title shot.

Nate also lost a decision to Guida, and that started a streak of 5 loses in 8 fights. Hes looked really good since dropping down, but lets not make him out to be someone hes not.
    I'm making him out to be the guy that currently is most deserving of the title shot, thats it. I don't think anyone is arguing that Nate isnt the most deserving of the title shot right now. Obviously he's made some big improvements to his game since dropping back down to 155. You probably agree that Nate is most deserving of the title shot at this moment, right?
    Last edited by peter mcneil; 08-15-2012 at 07:15 AM.

Load Metric
    Any argument being predicated on a loss to Guida is worthless at face value. Guida's singular role in the sport is to derail otherwise promising careers. He has literally no other currency to offer.

Diaz has nothing for Hendo btw. Hendo will show up 20 pounds heavier than Diaz, deny Diaz range, put Diaz on his back or against the cage for 15 minutes, and crip walk to the bank before Nick's tears are dry.

Btw Im a huge Diaz fan.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Any argument being predicated on a loss to Guida is worthless at face value. Guida's singular role in the sport is to derail otherwise promising careers. He has literally no other currency to offer.

Diaz has nothing for Hendo btw. Hendo will show up 20 pounds heavier than Diaz, deny Diaz range, put Diaz on his back or against the cage for 15 minutes, and crip walk to the bank before Nick's tears are dry.

Btw Im a huge Diaz fan.
    Agreed. If anyone watches the Guida fight. You would see Pettis getting taken down at will, but every second he was throwing up subs, and Guida did zero damage. Im not saying Pettis win, because your never going to win a decision from your back, but he wasnt being overpowered and ground and pounded he wasnt even trying to get up he was throwing sub att after sub att. He then went into the Stephens fight not looking to be showtime, but to beat him at his own game. Just because its a split decision doesnt mean it was really, really close as was stated. He clearly won 2 rounds, and he outwrestled a wrestler with no wrestling backround. Hes had 2 decision losses in his career. Hes never been beat up or outclassed in a fight. Plus the fact that Benson wants to fight everyone except Pettis should tell you something. Wouldnt you want to avenge your loss? He doesnt, he wants any part of Pettis.

If anyone knows Duke Roufus he is a class act and never puts any fighter down ever. He never talks bad about anyone. Heres a recent tweet of his

Fighters want 2 avenge all there loses. Not @BensonHenderson he wants @Showtimepettis 2 wait. Lack of Confidence???????

He wants no part of Pettis especially in a 5 round fight, because no one will beat him (barring a lucky ko) which hes never even been hurt ina fight mcuh less kod

Load Metric

Btw Im a huge Diaz fan.
    I thought Benson looked pretty bad vs Edgar. I think Diaz can beat him. I'd take it getting 2-1 or better not sure of the line, but I bet its closer to -165

Load Metric

Btw Im a huge Diaz fan.
    Agreed. If anyone watches the Guida fight. You would see Pettis getting taken down at will, but every second he was throwing up subs, and Guida did zero damage. Im not saying Pettis win, because your never going to win a decision from your back, but he wasnt being overpowered and ground and pounded he wasnt even trying to get up he was throwing sub att after sub att. He then went into the Stephens fight not looking to be showtime, but to beat him at his own game. Just because its a split decision doesnt mean it was really, really close as was stated. He clearly won 2 rounds, and he outwrestled a wrestler with no wrestling backround. Hes had 2 decision losses in his career. Hes never been beat up or outclassed in a fight. Plus the fact that Benson wants to fight everyone except Pettis should tell you something. Wouldnt you want to avenge your loss? He doesnt, he wants any part of Pettis.

If anyone knows Duke Roufus he is a class act and never puts any fighter down ever. He never talks bad about anyone. Heres a recent tweet of his

Fighters want 2 avenge all there loses. Not @BensonHenderson he wants @Showtimepettis 2 wait. Lack of Confidence???????

He wants no part of Pettis especially in a 5 round fight, because no one will beat him (barring a lucky ko) which hes never even been hurt ina fight mcuh less kod
    Henderson might be uncomfortable fighting Pettis, anyone would be at 155, he's a ridiculous talent. I also think what Henderson says is true, that right now Pettis isnt as deserving of the title shot as Diaz is. Who do you like in the Cerrone vs Pettis fight?

Load Metric

Btw Im a huge Diaz fan.
    That statement doesnt even make sense, based on that loss the UFC feels that Pettis isnt as deserving asDiaz for the title shot right now and they are correct, arent they? Other top guys in the division are able to find a way to beat Edgar, why couldnt Pettis?

Henderson and Diaz are both very big lightweights and apparently both walk around at a fit 175. I dont think there will be much of an edge in weight or size at all in this fight. I agree with Shady, I think Diaz is going to pick Henderson apart like he has done everyone else since his recent drop to lightweight and win a convincing decision.

Load Metric

Henderson might be uncomfortable fighting Pettis, anyone would be at 155, he's a ridiculous talent. I also think what Henderson says is true, that right now Pettis isnt as deserving of the title shot as Diaz is. Who do you like in the Cerrone vs Pettis fight?
    Henderson was making comments about not wanting to fight Pettis before Diaz even won his last fight. If you remember the talk was the Pettis/Lauzon winner was next. Then someone asked dana at the press conference if Pettis was getting the shot next and he said yes. To say someone that beat the current champ isnt deserving because Guida layed on him for 3 rounds is crazy. If you watch the fight Guida did absolutely nothing. I will say Pettis was stupid for trying to submit him instead of getting up, but I think he wanted to show off his sick bjj which was really close to catching Guida a few times.

Load Metric

Btw Im a huge Diaz fan.
    That statement doesnt even make sense, based on that loss the UFC feels that Pettis isnt as deserving asDiaz for the title shot right now and they are correct, arent they? Other top guys in the division are able to find a way to beat Edgar, why couldnt Pettis?

Henderson and Diaz are both very big lightweights and apparently both walk around at a fit 175. I dont think there will be much of an edge in weight or size at all in this fight. I agree with Shady, I think Diaz is going to pick Henderson apart like he has done everyone else since his recent drop to lightweight and win a convincing decision.
    I never said anything about picking him apart thats just downright crazy talk. I said he can win which he can, but I wouldnt be suprised if Benson handles him easily. I just expected Benson to handle Edgar easily like the 1st fight, and I thought Edgar won that fight.

Load Metric

Henderson was making comments about not wanting to fight Pettis before Diaz even won his last fight. If you remember the talk was the Pettis/Lauzon winner was next. Then someone asked dana at the press conference if Pettis was getting the shot next and he said yes. To say someone that beat the current champ isnt deserving because Guida layed on him for 3 rounds is crazy. If you watch the fight Guida did absolutely nothing. I will say Pettis was stupid for trying to submit him instead of getting up, but I think he wanted to show off his sick bjj which was really close to catching Guida a few times.
    Dana never stated the winner of the Lauzon vs Pettis fight was getting a title shot, not once and you wont be able to find that. After the spectacular KO Dana was asked in the post fight press conference if he thought Pettis deserved the shot and even then he was not commiting to it. He did promise Pettis a shot before Maynard and Edgar had a fight of the year contender and that is why he lost it, the other fight deserved a rematch.

I think Henderson and Diaz will be a close fight, picking him apart may have been a stretch but I do think Diaz will win that fight.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    I think I may have mentioned this before, but Ghostface Killah has a twitter account that he uses for his mma/k1/boxing commentary, and its just awesome. He watches pretty much every combat sports event live, and cracks off a few tweets during the event, and they're just awesome, cuz they couldn't really come from anyone else.

Well worth the follow. https://twitter.com/gfkonmma

Load Metric

Dana never stated the winner of the Lauzon vs Pettis fight was getting a title shot, not once and you wont be able to find that. After the spectacular KO Dana was asked in the post fight press conference if he thought Pettis deserved the shot and even then he was not commiting to it. He did promise Pettis a shot before Maynard and Edgar had a fight of the year contender and that is why he lost it, the other fight deserved a rematch.

I think Henderson and Diaz will be a close fight, picking him apart may have been a stretch but I do think Diaz will win that fight.
    Would you like to wager on that? Meaning wager on that Dana didnt say that?

Load Metric

http://www.sohood.com/2012/02/ufc-14...ference-video/

57 sec mark

Thread Information