Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mike Sexton has Prostate Cancer

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    dude seemed like a really good guy.

he'll have a big wsop tourney named after him yearly
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Sexton was always the strangest old time Vegas poker pro to me. Just seemed super nice and unlike any of the stereotypes I associate with life long grinders. Just appeared a boy scout in a world of scumbags. Never heard a truly degen story about him other than a few tough gambling runs. That he was such great friends with Ungar was even more bizarre. Like one was all about cocaine and hookers and such a trainwreck and Sexton like some Presbyterian preacher in comparison. Truly interesting character. Sorry to hear he’s ill.
    I heard he blew some/most/all (depending on who you talk to) his party poker $$ betting sports.

I played with him once. He leaves a great legacy. One of the few guys in poker I ever was around whom I wish was my friend.
    Yeah degen was bad choice of words. I just meant that old guard had a lot of cheating accusations and were generally viewed as kind of unsavory. Mike seemed to dodge that and was a good ambassador for the game back before we realized 90% were scum bags and broke. He was just always humble and self deprecating about his own skill, so he was likable .

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Sexton officially donkdown, RIP to a poker pioneer:

http://www.miraclecovers.com

"Donk down, that’s what you say to someone after they have lost 28K straight?" - Phil Hellmuth, online

Load Metric

Seemed like a legit good guy, RIP.

Fellas get that annual exam.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizzmoney View Post
    Sexton officially donkdown, RIP to a poker pioneer
    May his memory be eternal.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Pretty cool pic posted by Nolan Dalla today, taken in 1997:

Nolan is with Stu Ungar, Puggy Pearson, and Mike Sexton. Now all but Nolan are gone.

Puggy was lucky to live as long as he did. Despite an unhealthy lifestyle and congenital heart problems which dogged him for a long time, he made it to 77 before passing away in 2006.

Comments

Reno:

Jayjami: Great pic

Load Metric
    RIP to Mike Sexton.

I was never fortunate enough to play with him but he was sitting at a table nearby in a Wynn tournament I played either last year or the year before.

Mike Matusow hosted a 4+ hour tribute video to him where he had multiple poker celebrities use zoom to send Mike some good words.

He had on Doyle Brunson, Phil Hellmuth, Daniel Negreanu, Howard Lederer, Dnegs, Dan Harrington, and tons of other big names.

This was honestly the best I've ever seen Matusow act. Good job Mikey.

Load Metric
    Saddest part is he didn’t have his kid until 60. Sucks he died prematurely, by 8-10 years. for a guy who always seemed really healthy for a poker guy. If he just lives normal life expectancy he gets to see kid become an adult

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

"Donk down, that’s what you say to someone after they have lost 28K straight?" - Phil Hellmuth, online

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post

I heard he blew some/most/all (depending on who you talk to) his party poker $$ betting sports.

I played with him once. He leaves a great legacy. One of the few guys in poker I ever was around whom I wish was my friend.
    Yeah degen was bad choice of words. I just meant that old guard had a lot of cheating accusations and were generally viewed as kind of unsavory. Mike seemed to dodge that and was a good ambassador for the game back before we realized 90% were scum bags and broke. He was just always humble and self deprecating about his own skill, so he was likable .
    I was around the live poker scene in the early 2000s, and people at the tables liked to gossip about poker celebrities, and I would listen. Anyways, before he got his break with the PPT and Party sponsorship, Sexton was regarded as a giant degenerate railbird who was always broke. Seems he was a decent poker player, but sports betting and pit gambling always got the best of him.

Anyways, despite being a huge degen it seems he had the gift of gab and was very entertaining and pleasant to be around. So a lot of the players with money would let him hang around and give him stakes. Todd Brunson in particular was someone who apparently would give him stakes for doing odd jobs.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Thread Information