Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Escape from New York 2020

Load Metric
    Rats are so hungry in NYC that they are going after birds.

Load Metric
    You gotta find another source that isn't a tabloid if you want to make other people wish they were as smart as you. Even some rando on twitter would be better.

Comments

OSA: If this is a tabloid than so is all media

big dick: gonna have to offset this one

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Nothing would please me more than to see people move out and things to get cheaper in my upper east side neighborhood.

But a lot of what you guys are seeing is extreme examples of good camera work. I can drive down midtown Saturday 7am and it is desolate- Covid or not. It is an office park that is currently closed. It does not represent the other 99% of NYC.

Within my immediate area, several businesses closed. But at the same time, at least 3 new have opened. Who would open an ice cream place with $10 small ice creams heading into the winter, I have no idea. They might be getting great incentives from the landlord. With people coming back from Summer and school reopening soon, this week has been extremely busy. Rush hour in and out of the city is back to pre-covid crappines this week. Restaurants and bars are flooded with people.

I would LOVE to see a real economic hit so that maybe I could afford those 2 bedrooms across the street that are currently selling for 2.5-3.5 million.

But deep inside I know the reality: the stock market is booming. Rich people are getting even richer now. They left town as is typical every summer. Just as during normal times, you can walk down Central Park and look up the residential skyscrapers to see that they are mostly dark each evening. At that level, people have many houses and this is just one of them. It is the poor people who are mostly moving out - as usual- and the cheap immigrant operated bodega that are closing.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by apwiz View Post
    Nothing would please me more than to see people move out and things to get cheaper in my upper east side neighborhood.

But a lot of what you guys are seeing is extreme examples of good camera work. I can drive down midtown Saturday 7am and it is desolate- Covid or not. It is an office park that is currently closed. It does not represent the other 99% of NYC.

Within my immediate area, several businesses closed. But at the same time, at least 3 new have opened. Who would open an ice cream place with $10 small ice creams heading into the winter, I have no idea. They might be getting great incentives from the landlord. With people coming back from Summer and school reopening soon, this week has been extremely busy. Rush hour in and out of the city is back to pre-covid crappines this week. Restaurants and bars are flooded with people.

I would LOVE to see a real economic hit so that maybe I could afford those 2 bedrooms across the street that are currently selling for 2.5-3.5 million.

But deep inside I know the reality: the stock market is booming. Rich people are getting even richer now. They left town as is typical every summer. Just as during normal times, you can walk down Central Park and look up the residential skyscrapers to see that they are mostly dark each evening. At that level, people have many houses and this is just one of them. It is the poor people who are mostly moving out - as usual- and the cheap immigrant operated bodega that are closing.
    Cuomo put out a report that 400k moved outta NY. And the numbers prolly higher. Thats not camera work. I have a friend living in UWS, people are leaving and theres 2 homeless ppl on his block alone.

Check this out. You would have to blow the landlord to get type of deal prior.

https://streeteasy.com/rental/320711...rental_listing

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Holy shit that’s cheap...

What’s the normal freight on a place like that? Gotta be like $7,000-8,000/month...

Diamond
    Load Metric

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GambleBotsChafedPenis View Post

What’s the normal freight on a place like that? Gotta be like $7,000-8,000/month...
    It has the price history listed.

Name:  aa7e583c1c566bccb68344f90938eff8.png
Views: 527
Size:  16.4 KB

A 3 bedroom 7-8k a month is a nice luxury building with a view and private outdoor space. And not 800 sf.
    Last edited by duped_samaritan; 09-06-2020 at 10:47 AM.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post
    IN CHELSEA.... 4 MONTHS FREE LOL
    Considering that NYC has the amenities of Podunk, Pennsylvania during Covid, the rent should be similar during Covid. This will change as things open up.

"Discounts" are a way to lock people into expensive leases. Notice that this is 4 months free on 12 month lease at which point you are back to getting screwed. In January, you are back to paying $5,000/month. There is no cheaper rent. There is only a temporary discount during a time when you don't get the NYC "lifestyle" anyway.

BTW, the way that the rent price is displayed is usually post-discount, another trick of the NYC rental trade.

Cuomo put out a report that 400k moved outta NY. And the numbers prolly higher. Thats not camera work. I have a friend living in UWS, people are leaving and theres 2 homeless ppl on his block alone.
    NYC is a highly mobile city. NYT did similar analysis and a lot of people insta-left in March. This is true.

What I'm sharing with you is that especially in the past week or so, lots of people are back. My guess is that it's because schools are reopening, typical vacation season is ending, and a lot of companies initially had Sept 1 as return date. Rush hour traffic this week is almost back to normal in a lot of areas.

In April, the city was pretty damn desolate and felt like a zombie set in many places. I saw a lot of the city because I would run on the city streets. My 10 mile+ runs took me all over manhattan but also big chunks of Brooklyn and touched on a good bit of Queens. It was empty in most places. As of Sept 6, it's nothing like it was, not even close.

It's not back 100%. There are still plenty of permanent or temporary store closures. Lots of things are still closed, or on restricted reopening schedule. I would say it's 70% back. Some neighborhoods are more affected than others. Midtown and Times Square are still pretty empty, as one would expect from a tourist trap and an office park. Some service industry neighborhoods are supposedly suffering still as well...

On UES, there does seem to be a lot more homeless. I don't know why. It probably has something to do with some NYC social service changes or closures or whatever.

Check this out. You would have to blow the landlord to get type of deal prior.

https://streeteasy.com/rental/320711...rental_listing
    A friend of mine lived right across from Natural History museum in a pretty tiny studio. The rent was $1650.

Have a closer look at unit rentals in this specific building. I'm seeing about 10 similar units in this building renting for about the same 4K price... in 2019... before Corona. Rents on Manhattan are expensive, but not all of Manhattan has Tribeca glass building rents.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Well, If I would move into any place in the city, Id ask for a 2 yr lease for that reason.

Ill never see NYC as empty as it was in April. When you went outside, you felt like you were the only person alive.

Pretty brave of you going on those long runs. Whats your avg mile? Ever since I got my treadmill, Ive been watching Milesplit vids on youtube, cause they make running look so effortlessly. Plus their shirtless which is a plus.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post

A 3 bedroom 7-8k a month is a nice luxury building with a view and private outdoor space. And not 800 sf.
    interesting...didnt see that when i scrolled through...

always thought places like UES, UWS, tribeca, etc. had just crazy expensive rents for multi-bedroom units...

learn something new i guess...

Load Metric

interesting...didnt see that when i scrolled through...

always thought places like UES, UWS, tribeca, etc. had just crazy expensive rents for multi-bedroom units...

learn something new i guess...
    It's 850 square feet. The 2 smaller bedrooms probably don't fit both a dresser and a full size bed.

Probably mostly NYU/Juilliard/John Jay students and people that have been there for 30 years and pay < 50% market rate bc of rent control.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Well, If I would move into any place in the city, Id ask for a 2 yr lease for that reason.

Ill never see NYC as empty as it was in April. When you went outside, you felt like you were the only person alive.

Pretty brave of you going on those long runs. Whats your avg mile? Ever since I got my treadmill, Ive been watching Milesplit vids on youtube, cause they make running look so effortlessly. Plus their shirtless which is a plus.
    Indeed... most of the incentives are terrible given that a Tribeca apartment in April was worth about the same as an apartment in Podunk, Pennsylvania - and arguably less. Even if it was half price, it was still overpriced. But now might be a good time to score a multi year lease. Most landlords are not that dumb but maybe some of them bought into Covid hysteria.

My long runs are about 10-18 miles. The empty streets were awesome for running. It was the parks I was scared of. Most of Central Park was quite full - it was like a Saturday every day, all day. Prospect Park where my gf lives was crowded also. The streets felt a lot safer and I got to explore quite a few neighborhoods.

This week marked a very big jump in crowds and traffic. Driving this week seemed as painful as during normal times. Bars and restaurants are pretty crowded in many areas. I am guessing that a lot of it has to do with school year starting and people simply coming back from their Summer vacations. Parking sucks again.

Diamond
    Load Metric

Comments

big dick: LYING DOG

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by apwiz View Post

Indeed... most of the incentives are terrible given that a Tribeca apartment in April was worth about the same as an apartment in Podunk, Pennsylvania - and arguably less. Even if it was half price, it was still overpriced. But now might be a good time to score a multi year lease. Most landlords are not that dumb but maybe some of them bought into Covid hysteria.

My long runs are about 10-18 miles. The empty streets were awesome for running. It was the parks I was scared of. Most of Central Park was quite full - it was like a Saturday every day, all day. Prospect Park where my gf lives was crowded also. The streets felt a lot safer and I got to explore quite a few neighborhoods.

This week marked a very big jump in crowds and traffic. Driving this week seemed as painful as during normal times. Bars and restaurants are pretty crowded in many areas. I am guessing that a lot of it has to do with school year starting and people simply coming back from their Summer vacations. Parking sucks again.

10-18 miles. Damn. You must 5'10 or under. Thats alot of pain on the knees. Prospect Park is so nice. I like it so much better than Central Park. Much less horseshit

Gold
    Load Metric
    Mark Geragos is a fairly prominent celebrity attorney (Colin Kaepernick is his most famous client) whose office in in downtown LA. He was recently in NYC and said for all the negative attention NYC has gotten, downtown LA is actually worse as it pertains to homelessness and filth and general despair.

I am not sure if this says more about NYC or LA though.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Pffft. 160 CEO’s, what do they know? They’ve obviously been brainwashed by Trump tweets and fringe right wing media. Idiots.

Load Metric
    You gonna pull a Druff and pretend like you didn't realize that you were wrong about NYPost being a tabloid and the rent for that apt you posted is the same asking price as 2018?

Diamond
    Load Metric
    You gonna pull a Druff and pretend like you didn't realize that you were wrong about NYPost being a tabloid and the rent for that apt you posted is the same asking price as 2018?
    Its 2020, ALL News are tabloids. I might have been wrong about that listing but check this out...

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMJAb3BQb/

This guy has great info about current renting in NYC. Should def check out his channel. Agents and landlord are using every trick in the book now and with evictions being banned till end of year theyll only scheme and scam more to keep the price up and get them rented

Thread Information