Thread: Left Right Left Right - The death of Liberalism

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Left Right Left Right - The death of Liberalism

This debate is almost 40 years old. Firing Line with William F Buckley as host/moderator and guests Christopher Hitchens and Robert Emmett Tyrrell Jr.

It's a classic because of the first two names mentioned and for the topic, the everlasting
    ideological divide in the American people.

40 years have past but nothing has changed.

Anyway a good watch anytime you can get Buckley and Hitchens together

This is probably the better of the two debates. Buckley Jr. vs Noam Chomsky
    Vietnam and the Intellectuals

Might seem ridiculous to take the pro Vietnam War side now but in 69 it was still in doubt. Chomsky gets under Buckley's skin more than I've seen.
    The acrimony between the two is evident early on as this clip shows

full show

Last edited by limitles; 08-14-2020 at 05:24 PM.

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    intellectuals are stupid

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe View Post
    intellectuals are stupid
    yeah,...nothing has changed in 40 years. i remember back in the day being white shamed as a gopnik child.
    Last edited by mulva; 08-14-2020 at 11:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I used to imitate William F. Buckley and make prank calls when I was in my teens and 20s.

One of the funnier calls was when Ken Scalir had a blind date, I guessed that he took her to the nearby Denny's (he did), and William F. Buckley called there, asking to talk to him.

The waitress who answered the phone didn't know quite what to make of it, and had heard of Buckley but didn't really know much about him. But she believed it was him, but said that my description of Ken "matches a lot of guys eating here right now".

Buckley then responded, "I see. Well, we've fond ourselves in quite the conundrum at the moment. Perhaps it would be of assistance if I told you that the individual I am looking for has a nose which is rather substantial in proportion to the rest of his face."

She responded, "Oh! I know who you're talking about!", and put him on immediately.

At the end of the call, I told the waitress that she was going to get a complimentary subscription of the National Review mailed to the Denny's in her name, as a thank you for her cooperation.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I used to imitate William F. Buckley and make prank calls when I was in my teens and 20s.

One of the funnier calls was when Ken Scalir had a blind date, I guessed that he took her to the nearby Denny's (he did), and William F. Buckley called there, asking to talk to him.

The waitress who answered the phone didn't know quite what to make of it, and had heard of Buckley but didn't really know much about him. But she believed it was him, but said that my description of Ken "matches a lot of guys eating here right now".

Buckley then responded, "I see. Well, we've fond ourselves in quite the conundrum at the moment. Perhaps it would be of assistance if I told you that the individual I am looking for has a nose which is rather substantial in proportion to the rest of his face."

She responded, "Oh! I know who you're talking about!", and put him on immediately.

At the end of the call, I told the waitress that she was going to get a complimentary subscription of the National Review mailed to the Denny's in her name, as a thank you for her cooperation.
    Damn, how long have you been cockblocking ken....

Thread Information