Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sick of Howard Stern. Anyone Else?

Bronze
    Load Metric

Sick of Howard Stern. Anyone Else?

I have been a loyal Howard Stern listener for 37 years and have paid for Sirius for 16. Stern has bait-and-switched his listeners forever. He went to Sirius in 2004 and said, hey, there won't be any commercials. Then, a few months later, he suddenly had lots of commercials. Then he went down to 4 shows a week, then 3 shows a week. Also, now, he only works 20 weeks a year.

These days, the show is also shorter. He doesn't really try any more, and he talks too much about his trophy wife, who is almost 50 but has a little girl baby voice that is irritating to listen to.

Most of all, he doesn't do the news segment any more, which was my favorite part of the show. He acts like Covid has somehow made it hard for Robin to do the news segment.
    Last edited by Dive_Bar_Dave; 08-07-2020 at 01:28 AM.

Rest In Peace
    Load Metric

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Dive_Bar_Dave View Post
    I have been a loyal Howard Stern listener for 37 years and have been paying for a Sirius subscription for the past 16 years. Stern has bait-and-switched his listeners forever. He went to Sirius in 2004 and said, hey, there won't be any commercials. Then, a few months later, he suddenly had lots of commercials. Then he went down to 4 shows a week, then 3 shows a week. Also, he only works 20 weeks a year. Now the show is also shorter, and it's weak. He doesn't really try any more, and he talks too much about his trophy wife, who is almost 50 but has a little girl baby voice that is irritating as hell to listen to.
    Most of all, he doesn't do the news segment any more, which was my favorite part of the show. He acts like Covid has somehow made it hard for Robin to do the news segment. The whole show has sunk to a lazy, lazy low.
    whew thought he passed away. glad to hear he still kicking..his fans in the ass... fk him. Cancel the subscription.. he got his..he is done..

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I kind of lost enthusiasm for him once he started getting political.

Howard was much better when he stayed away from politics and was just this outrageous guy who would say anything.

The changing times also made it tougher on his show, as it became harder and harder to make jokes about gays, race, lesbians, etc. Howard never meant badly with any of this stuff, but as time passed there were fewer and fewer "acceptable" topics he could talk about, so that's probably why he went to political topics.

Also, I thought his move to Sirius made the show worse. It allowed him to fall back on vulgarity in place of humor. The show was much better when he had to keep the overt vulgarity and cussing off the show, as it required more effort and creativity to be edgy.

'90s Howard will never be duplicated. I'm glad I got to be a very small part of that.

Comments

shoeshine box: when he was at war w/imus!

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Wait, Druff, were you on the Stern Show in the 90s? Did I miss this story?

Load Metric
    I have never listened to more than 1 hour of Howard Stern in my life. To be fair, I have not listened to right wing radio either. It's just mind numbing to listen people drone on about the same shit over and over again. Kind of like this site with the same 70 users repeating themselves, just wears on you.

Load Metric
    He is done or should just retire.

Load Metric
    I used to listen to Howard on the radio in NJ every morning years ago

From about 630AM to 8ish. I always got some lols out of the weirdness of it all. And over time, I became a little fan. More in the 'lol' sense. I liked Hank the angry drunken dwarf, and the others. I forget the midget black guys name, actually it was 'Beetlejuice' iirc haha. He was lol i remember but its been so long and since I now live in Florida now its not on the local radio I don't think anymore. I always got some lols out of them weird guests he would have on back then. But sheesh its probably been 15 or so years since i actually listened to Howard Stern on the radio, let alone everyday.

Good times =)

Comments

FRANKRIZZO: Lol hank rep

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I was thinking about this the other day and it had to do with some of my favourite podcasts which I dumped from rotation

Familiarity breeds contempt

The key is to never erase these art forms.
    They'll always resonate and because our memories fade they can make a comeback

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I listen to him on XM when my kid is at practice...most of the wack pack stuff is just sad. Interviews are usually good but he mostly just paraphrases what the person just said.

Guest: I was always trying to get my fathers validation

Stern: What I believe you wanted acceptance from your father which is why you got into XYZ.

Load Metric
    The guy became a household name and was loved by the normal joes. He loved to rage against the corporate machine.

Then he won by a landslide. He was already getting comfortable by the time he left radio but he hit the fucking powerball with that deal. Then he invested all his money well and then signed a second deal.

Fast forward to today and Now he’s on palm beach island in the richest zip code in America. No real reason to “want it” anymore.

No reason for him to hang it up at this point if he still wants to stay relevant. But it’s probably asking too much for the rest of us who remember him in his prime to expect he is still going to have his fastball.

Picture giving Eddie Murphy a two hour spot on HBO with the expectation that he would deliver something on the level of Raw. It’s simply not happening.

Comments

garrett: lol so true too =)

nunbeater: yup

Load Metric
    I bought my brother Crucified By The FCC for Christmas with one of the first checks I ever wrote, at age 13 or 14. Obv called 1-800-52-STERN to make it happen. I was also a/the guy who found Druff's clip and posted it over and over in the last decade. I will proudly do it again, because it's a goddamn classic. This is Druff's greatest phone call, bar none:

MP3 file: https://k007.kiwi6.com/hotlink/gg8symi35l/Druff_on_Stern.mp3

It's always dumb when stern fans whine about him changing and not being the same guy they used to listen to, as if a massively rich guy in his late 60's should sound like a struggling DJ in his early 30's.

Comments

shoeshine box: tremendous!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    The guy became a household name and was loved by the normal joes. He loved to rage against the corporate machine.

Then he won by a landslide. He was already getting comfortable by the time he left radio but he hit the fucking powerball with that deal. Then he invested all his money well and then signed a second deal.

Fast forward to today and Now he’s on palm beach island in the richest zip code in America. No real reason to “want it” anymore.

No reason for him to hang it up at this point if he still wants to stay relevant. But it’s probably asking too much for the rest of us who remember him in his prime to expect he is still going to have his fastball.

Picture giving Eddie Murphy a two hour spot on HBO with the expectation that he would deliver something on the level of Raw. It’s simply not happening.

This is a good observation. The thing is, when you’re great, you’re compared only to yourself.

It’s incredibly rare to be doing your best work in a creative field in your sixties. So you lose your fastball, sure, but you’re still funnier than any local guy trying to be funny on the radio. You’re just not as funny as you were young, but that is true in anything creative.

It’s an entirely different world that it’s ever been in entertainment. A total paradigm shift.

It’s basically an under 35 world that none of us know who any of their celebrities even are, or a super older dominated world where all of us are the average age of not just the consumer, but the entertainers in every form.

That’s unique to any time since there has been an entertainment industry. It was generally youth-oriented. In all of entertainment or the arts, we better get used to guys who lost their fastball, because that’s all it’s going to be. Anyone over 30 is basically a boomer who isn’t watching people play video games on YouTube.

In comedy, it’s easy to chalk it up to cancel culture and political correctness and it’s certainly true. Howard Stern wouldn’t make it five minutes if he started today, but the reality is it’s all entertainment. Everyone is ancient anything we are consuming. Pretty much all entertainment any of us know it if we aren’t krypt’s age, and he is a fan of actual culture, hence why he’s hanging with us dinosaurs.

For whatever reason, in any of the arts or creative pursuits, you have this trajectory of your career and very few people did their best work after 40 and 50 years old. Whether it’s a comedian or musical artists and even writers and directors, if you look through their work, the vast majority of their best work will be before 40 for musicians and comedians, or maybe 50 for writers and directors. There are Scorsese guys who did a lot of great films after 50, but he didn’t write any of those screenplays. He’s strictly a director, so the creative part is the heavy lifting and done by others, yet there is no one young coming up the pipe.

It’s just hard to keep that edge, yet it doesn’t matter what field of entertainment, there are very few young people really making it big in any way any more in anything we are going to see, so it’s little surprise we are still listening to Howard Stern at 67 as there isn’t any replacement.

I saw a young and rising comedians article for people looking for a laugh during the lockdown like a year ago and started googling the comedians and they were all 40ish and older. A few were early 30s, but no one has ever heard of them here and they’re not even close to household names.

I’ve taken in more entertainment this last year being stuck at home and can’t get over how old it is. Like I feel old at this point, yet I’m below average for most of what’s on. I think how different this was than when I was 28. I think to myself what my parents watched.

I basically start the day watching news shows by people older than me. Then I might catch a sports show in afternoon by Stephen A for a few minutes, tune into lebatard, both older than I am. I’ll listen to a podcast of two. Simmons or Rogan who are both slightly older than me. Watch some kids play sports with a halftime show with guys like Barkley who are older than me. Then might watch an episode of a show on Netflix. Maybe an Ozark starring Bateman who is older than me, maybe some movie where any big stars are likely older than me or same general age. Never has that been the case where someone 50 is consuming the most popular shows on these platforms and have the stars of all these shows basically be my demographic. Sure, when you’re 30 everyone is older than you for the most part, but not at 50.

I thought about when we were young, we knew Eddie, Chappelle, Chris Rock, and basically all the sketch guys like Belushi and Ackroyd and Chevy Chase by early twenties.

But we didn’t only know them, our parents did also. They were household names. Now, almost no one under 30 in any form of entertainment besides athletes are household names and almost none of us know them unless your kids have them streaming on YouTube as you walk by.

Seinfeld had this successful stand up career with shows and a hundred Tonight Show appearances and then nine seasons of Seinfeld done and into semi-retirement by 44. My parents watched it as did people older than my parents.

Now I’m looking at a list of next big comedians and the entire list is averaging 40. He was almost into retirement mode by then.

Murphy had his entire Saturday Night Live Career, all his best movies, 48 Hours, Trading Places, 2 Beverly Hills Cop movies, Raw, and Coming to America done by 37 years old. He’s had 40 things since then and there isn’t a single thing he’s done that holds up to any of those works that he did all before 1988. I really don’t think you can argue for any one thing against any of those.

In fiction and literature everyone is 65 years old. The best selling authors now were the best selling authors in 1995. There are a few rare exceptions, but it’s really rare and they don’t have big success. The only young people selling books pump out 5 a year for 1.99 on Amazon in the fantasy genre.

I’m always trying to find new stuff being made by any young people and if you want to get depressed, google best comedians under 40, best directors under 40, best authors under 40, and you’re going to struggle to recognize a single name.

For directors you’ll have the black kid who made Creed and Black Panther and no one else you’ve heard of and very few where you’ve caught any of their work.

Like at any point up until the last 20 years, the top of the profession was dominated by youngish people.

I mean Tarantino wrote and directed Reservoir Dogs, True Romance, and Pulp Fiction all before he was 32.

Paul Thomas Anderson wrote and directed Hard Eight, Boogie Nights, and Magnolia before he was 30.
    He had Punch Drunk Love and There Will be Blood done by mid 30s.

George Lucas had written and directed THX 1138, American Graffiti, and Star Wars all by 33.

Welles co wrote and directed Citizen Kane at 25.

Spielberg had directed a dozen movies including Jaws, Close Encounters, Raiders of the Lost Ark, ET, and Poltergeist all by 35.

As far as writers, the best selling fiction authors from 2015-2020 were Stephen King, John Grisham(66), David Baldacci(60), Lee Child (66), Michael Connelly(64), Danielle Steel(73), and Nicholas Sparks (55)

If you look back to best selling authors of the 1990s, it’s those same names plus Michael Crichton who died early or he’d still be on the list

Stephen King had written Carrie, Salem’s Lot, and The Shining by 30. The Stand, The Dead Zone, Cujo, and Firestarter all by 35. Many others, those are just the best sellers.

Grisham had written A Time to Kill, The Firm, The Pelican Brief, The Client, The Chamber, The Rainmaker, and The Runaway Jury all before 40 and he had went to law school and practiced law for seven years before his first book.

All these people are still the best selling authors still, yet most would say all their best work came before mid-late 40s. They just didn’t get replaced by young writers.

The highest earning comedians of 2019 as last year was worthless with the pandemic cancelling shows were:

Kevin Hart(41)
    Seinfeld (66)
    Jim Gaffigan (54)
    Trevor Noah(37)
    Sebastian Maniscalco(47)
    Gabriel Iglesias (44)
    Amy Schumer(39)
    Terry Fator (55)
    Jeff Dunham (58)
    Aziz Ansari. (38)

So in your top 10, 3 under 40, and most of the younger ones money comes from specials or TV deals as opposed to drawing an audience in live venues

I don’t know if any were a household name in their 20s other than Seinfeld and Schumer?

The top highest paid stand up comedians of the 1980s were

Seinfeld in his 20s/30s
    Eddie Murphy 20s
    Andrew Dice Clay, breakthrough at end of 80s at 29,30,31
    George Carlin 40s/50s
    Robin Williams 30s
    Bill Hicks 20s
    Ellen DeGeneres 20s
    Sam Kinnison 20s/30s
    Roseanne 30s
    Dangerfield 60s

You can pretty much do this with all entertainment,
    Highest earning podcasters:

Rogan (53)
    Simmons (51)
    Two women who do my favorite murder who are 50 and 40
    Dave Ramsey (60)
    Dax Shepard (46)

Those are the highest earning, in a rather young medium like podcasts.

I have no idea what people are going to do in the future besides play video games, pranks, and makeup tutorials.

That’s where anyone young is making money on YouTube. Obviously young people pretty much consume strictly YouTube, and there are guys who fall loosely under comedy there, but they are more prankster types. There are kids making movie star money playing video games.

They aren’t going to do Stand-up or land a Netflix series shaving their eyebrows or playing video games. I don’t have to get it, people are getting rich gaming and shooting slime at each other, but idk how that ages? Are people going to be watching people play video games at 65? Maybe. Maybe they’ll be watching makeup tutorials and gamers driving to work in their self-driving cars.

As for us, you can pretty much plan on listening to Stern into his 80s and Rogan and Simmons into their 70s or 80s and every single form of what we consider entertainment will be similar to our politicians who are all 80.

There is basically no one coming up in any traditional thing we will ever want to watch any younger than we are on average. Every show, every Netflix series, basically everything besides YouTube.

The highest paid actors list is

The Rock-48
    Ryan Reynolds -45
    Wahlberg-50
    Affleck-48
    Diesel-53
    Will Smith-52
    Lin Manuel Mirnanda -41
    Sandler -54
    Jackie Chan-66

I mean anything in any form of what any of us would call entertainment is completely dominated by our demographic as the under 35s don’t even take in entertainment in any way similar to us.

I mean if you want to be a movie star and you’re 45, that might be the new 25 and you still have a shot to become famous in this world and catch your big break as you’ll be the youngest guy on the set.

It’s very strange. I listen to a lot of podcasts and I notice that something like the Ringer will try to introduce new talent in their lower 30s into the mix and they aren’t really adept at it.

What young people in sports commentary and things of that nature are excellent at is analytics. They are a different generation where the arts and government classes were dropped for more math, tech courses, things of that nature. It feels like every sports show I watch is increasingly older guys still doing the same show at 57 they were at 42.

I imagine in the future it’s going to be a lot of straight analytics shows before any game. They aren’t coming from traditional broadcasting type backgrounds and young people don’t respect anecdotal type shows. But I’m not sure they’re even watching. I read kids who say they listen to nba content every day and analytics podcasts but only watch highlights.

I think of the movies that have dominated for last 10-15 years. It’s not anything like the movies when I was 25 aimed at me written by guys 32. It’s either comic book stuff that can also appeal to Chinese audiences or movies starring guys my age or older. It’s very bizarre.

It makes you think about what movie studios and entire industries are going to do in the not so distant future.

Even now when I see commercials, I see actors like Samuel L, themes meant to appeal to us. Gone is the sell to young people idea on tv commercials. You want to reach them, it’s a YouTube ad. They aren’t wary of tv and certainly not commercials.

So Howard has a good 15 years left with the current trends.

Really take a look around at basically all the entertainment you consume and think about who was entertaining you and your parents at 25. It’s incredibly different.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    I bought my brother Crucified By The FCC for Christmas with one of the first checks I ever wrote, at age 13 or 14. Obv called 1-800-52-STERN to make it happen. I was also a/the guy who found Druff's clip and posted it over and over in the last decade. I will proudly do it again, because it's a goddamn classic. This is Druff's greatest phone call, bar none:

MP3 file: https://k007.kiwi6.com/hotlink/gg8symi35l/Druff_on_Stern.mp3

It's always dumb when stern fans whine about him changing and not being the same guy they used to listen to, as if a massively rich guy in his late 60's should sound like a struggling DJ in his early 30's.

Here's my explanation of the segment where I appeared on Howard Stern in 1996 (posted above by Crowe Diddly). I posted the below on Donkdown about 11 years ago:

--

1) I used the name "Jim" and the fake southern accent because I knew that answering machine hacking was technically a crime, and that Stern had a HUGE audience. I didn't think it was likely anyone would arrest me for it, but I wanted to be anonymous to everyone but trusted friends at the time. Now it's 13 1/2 years later, so I don't give a shit.

2) Howard Stern had phone line problems on his show that day. You will notice one part where I keep talking over Daniel Carver, and Howard gets mad, calling me an "idiot" at one point. I wasn't actually talking over anyone. The issues with the phone lines actually made everything go completely silent on my end at times, when in reality people were talking. Howard didn't realize this, as it was only 45 minutes into his show. Later in the episode, he commented on the phone problems when other call-in guests experienced the same issue.

3) I was blindsided by Daniel Carver being on the show with me. It was a pleasant surprise, but unexpected. Here is the order of events:

- Saturday, October 5th, 1996: I hack Daniel Carver's answering machine (with the usual variation of the "Wake Up White People" message), and change it to my own parody version.

- Sunday, October 6th: I notice that the message is still up. One of my friends suggests that I call Howard Stern and let him know about it. I agree, provided that the message stays up until Monday morning, when Howard comes back on the air.

- Monday, October 7th at 3am PST: Despite having work early in the morning, I set my alarm for 3am, when Howard Stern begins his broadcast. I call into his show, and Stuttering John answers. I tell him about the situation and ask him to call Daniel's machine. John does, and he finds it hilarious. He shows it to Baba Booey, who also really enjoys it. Baby Booey gets on the phone, and explains that he wants me on the show, but that Sting is about to do a 45-minute live concert from China (weird for Howard's show, right?), and they can't reschedule that. He offers to call me back when it's done. Because I am nervous about my phone number being traced to my identity, I give him a "forwarding" number I have, which would be harder to trace. In hindsight, this was probably too much caution. Like the white people in my message, I go to sleep and wait for the call.

- Monday, October 7th, 3:45am: The call wakes me up. My then-girlfriend, who is sleeping beside me, is very confused about this whole thing, but I take the call in the other room and tell her she'll enjoy this in the morning. I find myself on the Howard Stern show with Daniel Carver. The segment lasts for about 12 minutes.

- Monday, October 7th, 6:45am: I am driving my girlfriend to work, and I turn on KLSX 97.1. I hear my own voice on the radio, since Howard reruns the show 3 hours behind starting at 6am. I look around the crowded LA freeway and realize that many of the cars around me are listening to my voice at that very moment. It was a weird feeling.

The segment aired a total of 6 times over the years. It made four "Best Of" shows, and I was nominated for an F-Emmy in the "Best Phony Phone Call" category. I didn't win.

Load Metric
    wow and LOL I never actually knew any of this until this thread thats pretty fucking cool actually you got you some Howard Stern airtime

haha Marvelous actually, well done well done =)

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Who else did you hack...you said Rodney, what did you change It to?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Texter View Post
    Who else did you hack...you said Rodney, what did you change It to?
    I think I just changed it to imitations of him. It wasn't nearly as funny as what I did to Daniel that weekend.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post

I'm currently in Jupiter now my little brother is closing this weekend on his first house and it's Jupiter. Which I'm sure you know is a beautiful and lucky place to be buying a first home. Anywho I was just thinking about Daly and this post the past day or two =)..

The more and more I get to know Jupiter, I love it. I will be spending lots more time here now in Jupiter moving forward. =)
    Last edited by garrett; 03-06-2021 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Stuck on Jupiter =)...

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I knew Howard had a mansion in Florida, but I think he is still living and doing his show in the Hamptons.

Since I started this thread in August, I rode it out a few more months without Howard, then Sirius offered me a $6 a month deal, so I took it. Howard still disappoints, but he is still better than most other options. I just keep wondering, why can't they bring back the News with Robin?
    Last edited by Dive_Bar_Dave; 03-06-2021 at 10:09 AM.

Load Metric
    I have been a loyal Howard Stern listener for 37 years and have paid for Sirius for 16. Stern has bait-and-switched his listeners forever. He went to Sirius in 2004 and said, hey, there won't be any commercials. Then, a few months later, he suddenly had lots of commercials. Then he went down to 4 shows a week, then 3 shows a week. Also, now, he only works 20 weeks a year.

These days, the show is also shorter. He doesn't really try any more, and he talks too much about his trophy wife, who is almost 50 but has a little girl baby voice that is irritating to listen to.

Most of all, he doesn't do the news segment any more, which was my favorite part of the show. He acts like Covid has somehow made it hard for Robin to do the news segment.

What took you so long?

Thread Information