Thread: Robert Gray, who finished 2nd to Michael Mizrachi at 2019 WSOP, died from coronavirus at age 56

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Robert Gray, who finished 2nd to Michael Mizrachi at 2019 WSOP, died from coronavirus at age 56

56-year-old Robert Gray was heads up for a bracelet in Stud8 in 2019. Finally his luck ran out, and he lost to tough opponent Michael Mizrachi.

Gray got unlucky again this summer and lost to another tough opponent -- the coronavirus.

What's unusual about this one was the fact that Gray went from presymptomatic to deceased within a week. According to a friend, he didn't feel sick until a week ago. However, he wasn't anywhere near critical. His symptoms were moderate until yesterday, when he said he had "a few breathing problems". Today he died. He was not known to have any preexisting conditions.

From what I know of him, he was well liked and respected in the poker community, though I didn't know him personally.

RIP

Comments

Jayjami: Fuck, I’m 56!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    From his good friend Robert Goldfarb on Facebook (a public post, in case you're wondering):

I never thought it was a hoax but I also hadn't yet been personally touched by Covid-19 until a few hours ago when I learned that my friend Robert Gray had been infected. A week ago Sunday he said he wasn't feeling well and had developed a cough. Monday he said he was coughing less but still feeling sick with chills and body aches. Tuesday he texted that he was craving a Subway sandwich. Wednesday he was feeling better still but it was difficult to sleep and his appetite wasn't back to full grown. This past Sunday when I asked for my daily update his reply was simply "no good." Monday he replied "still sucks." Yesterday he complained that he was able to breathe fine but that deep breaths were difficult. He was finally able to get a test and would have the results in 3 or 4 days. Hopefully it wouldn't matter and that it would have come and gone by then. Today he didn't reply. It turned out the results don't matter but not because of why we had hoped. Sometime between that conversation Tuesday night and 8PM last night he passed away. I have many stories I hope I can share and I'd love to hear any story you might have of him but I don't have time for that now. I write this so that maybe a tiny bit of good can come from his death and that anyone reading this realizes the most important thing you can do to avoid dying from Covid-19 is to avoid getting this disease.

Rest In Peace
    Load Metric
    R.I.P. A genuine kind fella... saw him last summer...
    man life is precious...

Silver
    Load Metric
    Terrible. Sounds like his lungs were clotting up.

If I get it I am not waiting around and hoping I dont hyperrespond.

Give me the alleged antidote, stat.

Seemed like a good dude....

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    We covered this on this week's radio, and had an interview with his friend Robert Goldfarb about it.

Thread Information