Thread: Weird issue with missing transfer at Bank of America - anyone dealt with this before?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Weird issue with missing transfer at Bank of America - anyone dealt with this before?

In March I started paying my gardener electronically, Bank of America to Bank of America. It did NOT involve Zelle or anything like that. It was NOT a wire. It was a transfer within Bank of America, which they still allow. (Many banks have gotten away from this, and only do things like Zelle now.)

I did two of these -- one in March, and one in June. The March transfer worked as expected. The June transfer did not. He claims he didn't get the money.

My statement shows that he DID receive the money.

You'd think this would be a simple thing to rectify, but it's not. Bank of America has been terrible about it.

The customer service number rep acknowledged that both the March and June transfers went to the same account, and both appear to have been completed. That rep could NOT look into it any further or verify that the money is really in the guy's account. I was referred to the "disputes" department.

The disputes department sucked. The rep kept pushing me towards a "recall" procedure, where I basically would be trying to get the money back. This would be a good thing in case the money really vanished somewhere in their system (or went to the wrong person), but would be useless in case my gardener is just making a mistake and isn't seeing it properly that he really got the money. If it's the latter, the "recall" will simply fail, and I'll have no proof of anything for the gardener. This will also take 3 weeks, so I'm hesitant to even try it.

I asked if they could simply send me some written acknowledgment that the money I sent in June went to his account, but they said they have no way to do this. I got cited a bunch of idiotic examples which don't apply, such as, "When you wire money, you can't see what happens on the other end" and "This happens all the time when people send money to other countries", but this is moronic reasoning because we are dealing with a transfer within the same bank within the same state. I was also told that they wouldn't be able to tell me if he got the money for "privacy reasons", which again is absurd because it's my money sent by me, so of course I should be able to find out if it went to the intended recipient.

I kept being pushed over and over to do this stupid recall. When I asked for a supervisor, the guy had to contact one via Skype, who said she will call me "as soon as possible". When I asked for clarification as to what that meant, I was snarkily told, "She said to tell you again, 'as soon as possible'." When I asked a third time for a real timetable for the phone call, I was quoted an hour, which of course has since passed and nobody has called me. Large companies were always bad with calling people back, but since the days of COVID, it's extremely difficult to get phone calls.

I'm going crazy. I just want to get something to show the gardener that he actually got the $, and then he can call customer service himself (or go into a branch, whatever) to have them figure out why it's not showing up. The guy doesn't speak very good English, so it's been hard to explain to him what's been going on here. I asked him today via e-mail if he'll show me his statement with the missing transaction, but I'm not sure if he will agree to this (or even understand what I'm trying to ask).

Anyone have any experience with something like this? What do you suggest I do next?

Load Metric
    Leave boa. Use a local bank. 1st night material.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post
    Leave boa. Use a local bank. 1st night material.
    I have a lot of banks.

It is very useful to have BoA and other large banks for certain purposes. BoA is actually very convenient for sending transfers within the bank, because they don't require people to have Zelle set up, or any bullshit like that.

These have always been flawless until now. It's possible by gardener is making a mistake, but I need proof to show him.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Any update on how this worked out?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Yes, B of A was being super stubborn.

However, before I really raised hell with the local branch (basically my only hope), I demanded that the gardener make 100% sure he didn't receive the $, and send me proof.

He checked again and it turned out he made a mistake, and got the money after all.

I don't think the guy was trying to roll me, I think he was just confused and looking at the wrong date or something. What a fucking waste of time.

Pretty eye-opening regarding how the bank was so bad at confirming transfers, though.

Load Metric
    Nice to have a gardner, I have 1 acre do everything landscape wise myself. Fall and leave raking the worst along with long driveway when it snows.
    Last edited by FRANKRIZZO; 08-21-2020 at 07:03 AM.

Load Metric
    Next time try hiring a fucking American that can speak English

Load Metric
    Glad to see that the problem was solved and nobody lost money or was deported. Even though they didn't do anything wrong, their behaviour was inexcusable. This $2.5 billion mistake, however, might make you reconsider your banking choices.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/b...203123639.html

Thread Information