Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twitter has changed longstanding computer science terms because those terms are hateful

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Twitter has changed longstanding computer science terms because those terms are hateful

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I love how these morons think that "grandfathered" and "dummy value" are somehow offensive.

So it's an insult to be called a grandfather now?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Go look at the thread, they got absolutely destroyed in the comments.

Almost zero people in support of this. Even the usual SJWs are embarrassed to align themselves with this absurdity.

LOL Silicon Valley

Load Metric
    Twitter is very inclusive. 5.6% of their employees are black, and I’m sure many of them are in high management positions.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I love how these morons think that "grandfathered" and "dummy value" are somehow offensive.

It's on the list for the same reason "man hours" is there. I hope you can piece rest of it together. Neither "grandfather" nor "man" are insults and no one is saying they are. Since you asked.

Seems like a huge waste of time and this is the full extent i'm willing to waste my time talking about any of this.

Load Metric
    Every day I watch our culture, in totality, on both sides of the spectrum, and think about what a genius George Orwell was. That was my first thought when I read this, and clearly not a very original thought as it was the first thought of many in the comments section. What a completely nonsensical world we have carved out for ourselves. I feel like I wake up every day and the floodwaters of stupidity are higher than the previous. Like what was knee deep before has anyone sane standing on your tip toes just to catch a breath after the last six months.

I mean this is unimportant in any real way, but just idiotic thing #42 every day in the new normal.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmick View Post

It's on the list for the same reason "man hours" is there. I hope you can piece rest of it together. Neither "grandfather" nor "man" are insults and no one is saying they are. Since you asked.

Seems like a huge waste of time and this is the full extent i'm willing to waste my time talking about any of this.
    Do you or do you not agree with Twitter's actions here? Do you find it to be good that they did this, or would you say it's a virtue signaling waste of time?

By the way, "grandfathered" and "man hours" are two different things regarding their potential offensiveness. Some feminist could theoretically complain that when they talk about "man hours", it's degrading because it's ignoring the fact that females work there, too. I don't agree, but at least I understand it. "Grandfathered" means nothing offensive, because it's not referring to any people.

Load Metric

Do you or do you not agree with Twitter's actions here? Do you find it to be good that they did this, or would you say it's a virtue signaling waste of time?

By the way, "grandfathered" and "man hours" are two different things regarding their potential offensiveness. Some feminist could theoretically complain that when they talk about "man hours", it's degrading because it's ignoring the fact that females work there, too. I don't agree, but at least I understand it. "Grandfathered" means nothing offensive, because it's not referring to any people.
    the word father is offensive to these people

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post
    Twitter is very inclusive. 5.6% of their employees are black, and I’m sure many of them are in high management positions.
    That's the other thing. Beneath the woke veneer and Democratic politics of these Silicon Valley companies, there's an undercurrent of actual sexism and racism (especially sexism) which gets swept under the rug. They'd much rather project the symbolism of wokeness by changing terms like "grandfathered" than actually seek to eliminate real workplace issues.

Basically at these companies, if you vote the correct way, say the correct things, and voice support for the correct causes, then it doesn't matter how you actually treat people.

Load Metric

It's like i anticipated this exchange and already answered all your questions in the post you're quoting. It's one of the 5 sentences in the post.

Grandfathered is on the list because it implies that legacy can only relate to men. It implies there is no such thing as grandmothered. The logic is exactly same as it is in "man hours".

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

It's like i anticipated this exchange and already answered all your questions in the post you're quoting. It's one of the 5 sentences in the post.

Grandfathered is on the list because it implies that legacy can only relate to men. It implies there is no such thing as grandmothered. The logic is exactly same as it is in "man hours".
    Do you agree with this "logic"?

Would you have done what Twitter did if you were in charge of the engineering department?

Load Metric

Would you have done what Twitter did if you were in charge of the engineering department?
    Is there a positive connotation to "seems like a huge waste of time"? Asking for a friend.

Oh and there's also a racial element in the etymology of grandfathered.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by dwai View Post

the word father is offensive to these people
    Not offensive, I just like the girl to call me daddy because father sounds too stuffy.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Is there a positive connotation to "seems like a huge waste of time"? Asking for a friend.

"Seems like a huge waste of time" could have been referring to the discussion here about it. Actually that's what I thought you meant.

I know it hurts you to admit that woke SJWs are doing stupid things, so I guess that's all we're going to get out of you.

They'll be glad to know that you agree with them about the word "grandfathered" being offensive, though.

Comments

1marley1: learn how to read brah

Banned
    Load Metric

"Seems like a huge waste of time" could have been referring to the discussion here about it. Actually that's what I thought you meant.

I know it hurts you to admit that woke SJWs are doing stupid things, so I guess that's all we're going to get out of you.

They'll be glad to know that you agree with them about the word "grandfathered" being offensive, though.

I understand you're irate right now

But you're the worst so far

Shut it down ferret tine

Oh hey hey there young tine

ugh hey skatz

ugh hey skatz

Comments

1marley1: :this

Load Metric

Well huge waste of time applies to both. I don't give a shit what SJWs do or don't do. I don't think grandfathered is offensive. I'm not the dumbass that thought there are people that believe being called "grandfather" is an insult. Like wtf is the thought process with that. Take stupidest imaginable reason why someone could think the term "grandfathered" is offensive and then run with? Somehow your ignorance is their fault.

And while we're at it, from Twitters perspective this is likely very sound action.

1. Dirt cheap PR

2. Essentially neutral news to cover more negative stories

3. Future civil rights suites

Apple is also doing the same and quite a few others are likely to follow.

Similarly how sensitivity training does very little towards discrimination and harassment, but it does a lot in relation to civil rights suites. It's one more bullet point for the defendant. For large companies dodging even one discrimination case pays for a century's worth of sensitivity training. Every company in the S&P 500 and half of mid sized companies have it in some form. It has nothing to do with how woke they are. It's just ridiculously +EV.

Banned
    Load Metric

Well huge waste of time applies to both. I don't give a shit what SJWs do or don't do. I don't think grandfathered is offensive. I'm not the dumbass that thought there are people that believe being called "grandfather" is an insult. Like wtf is the thought process with that. Take stupidest imaginable reason why someone could think the term "grandfathered" is offensive and then run with? Somehow your ignorance is their fault.

And while we're at it, from Twitters perspective this is likely very sound action.

1. Dirt cheap PR

2. Essentially neutral news to cover more negative stories

3. Future civil rights suites

Apple is also doing the same and quite a few others are likely to follow.

Similarly how sensitivity training does very little towards discrimination and harassment, but it does a lot in relation to civil rights suites. It's one more bullet point for the defendant. For large companies dodging even one discrimination case pays for a century's worth of sensitivity training. Every company in the S&P 500 and half of mid sized companies have it in some form. It has nothing to do with how woke they are. It's just ridiculously +EV.
    defending a salt mine hitter is the foundation of their success.

I'm not sure there is a doubt either of these people are incredible workers and would be amazing props for a man named Sam

AAAaaaand then somehow that rose is way

Load Metric

Originally I thought they might be changing "grandfathered" because it's "gendered" but gimmick is right that there's a racial element. Never knew all this:

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswi...dfather-clause

Is "grandfather clause" considered a computer science term?

Load Metric
    Some of the criticism of Twitter seems a bit niggardly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    I stay to myself and keep out of trouble and/or potentially problematic scenarios

Thread Information