Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Los Angeles teachers union refusing to go back to work until the city agrees to "defund the police"

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Los Angeles teachers union refusing to go back to work until the city agrees to "defund the police"

Remember how much I said I hated public labor unions, including teachers' unions?

Exhibit A: https://www.kusi.com/a-los-angeles-t...mands-are-met/

The LA Teachers Union is refusing to return to work until totally unrelated political demands are met, including "defund the police", "pass a wealth tax", and other shit.

They're actually holding 750,000 students' education hostage for political purposes. I don't mean office politics. I mean actual politics.

This is completely unacceptable, and exactly why these bullshit unions should never have been granted any power. Those behind forming the original labor unions stated that public labor unions shouldn't exist, as they are antithetical to the interests of the public.

Comments

big dick: SCAB

Tellafriend:

Load Metric
    Stop paying their salary, see how fast they change their tune

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    By the way, I actually agree with their concern regarding being potentially forced to return to the classroom during the COVID-19 threat. If I were a teacher, I would be freaked out about this, too.

That was originally the argument going on, and it was a reasonable one on their side.

However, since teachers unions are awful, they strayed from their reasonable position, and went straight to this idiotic tactic of holding children's education hostage for politics.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    By the way, I actually agree with their concern regarding being potentially forced to return to the classroom during the COVID-19 threat. If I were a teacher, I would be freaked out about this, too.

That was originally the argument going on, and it was a reasonable one on their side.

However, since teachers unions are awful, they strayed from their reasonable position, and went straight to this idiotic tactic of holding children's education hostage for politics.
    lol @ teachers making stupid, unrealistic demands out of their jursidiction. after newtown these same fuckers were sucking all the blue cock they could get a hold of so it would not happen again....now because of floyd they want less police.

real tALK...in inner city public schools the students use to bring box cutters
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Load Metric
    Silver lining for you druff: If teachers don't go back to work the students will be less educated and therefor more likely to vote Republican in the future.

Diamond
    Load Metric

There's tons of pediatricians who say that having kids go back to school is fine

Comments

BCR: Fine for the kids, which is what pediatricians focus is on. Not so much for any teacher over 40.

Load Metric
    Kids spread disease.

Kids aren't going back to school anytime soon.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The "should teachers go back" argument is a complex one, and I understand the teachers union's point. That's not my issue.

It's the fact that they've hijacked that legitimate argument and have changed it into political extortion.

"Kowtow to our extreme left agenda which has nothing to do with teaching, or we are going to refuse to educate your children."

Seriously, abolish these terrible public unions.

BTW, I am a product of the public schooling system. Never attended a private school in my life. Even my college and grad school were public. I had a few pretty bad experiences with teachers which they only got away with because they were union, and there was nothing that could be done. None of it involved anything criminal, but that's exactly the big flaw. If teachers show up for work and don't break the law, they can pretty much do anything else shitty with no consequences.

Fuck teachers unions and fuck police unions.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post
    Kids spread disease.

Just keep indoctrinating the children to think this is totally normal when it's anything but.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Avon Barksdale View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post
    Kids spread disease.

Just keep indoctrinating the children to think this is totally normal when it's anything but.

this is what schools would look like if Trump said "We will keep schools closed".

The leftists would call him an idiot, depriving Kids of an education blah blah, and Druff, big bird, Jimmyg's kids would look like this in their classrooms

Comments

splitthis:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Ben's school, which had just last week presented us with a choice of "partial day return or Zoom schooling", has rescinded that choice and making everyone do Zoom schooling.

That's actually good for me because I was going to do the Zoom thing anyway, given that Ben's mom and I are both over 45, and California seems to be rising with cases. I suspect the peak in California will hit right around when school starts. My plan was to wait and see what happens after that, and switch him to partial day in-person if things go back down.

I'm not worried about the virus harming Ben, though there's the possibility it actually does long-term damage to kids which we haven't detected. But there's a very realistic chance that it would permanently harm me and/or Ben's mom, so I just can't see sending him back while California is peaking.

Also, school now, with all the distancing and other restrictions, will look/feel nothing like school in 2019.

Load Metric
    You guys just love just lying to each other.
    This is 100 % BS.
    There might be some Koch brother paid Quacks, that say that on Fox "news", but the consensus is 100 % opposite.
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post
    There's tons of pediatricians who say that having kids go back to school is fine
    This is the time to strike, they have the power, & only a mook would think to just stop paying them would be the answer.

And just like Kaepernick's kneel, Trump doesn't get to dictate the narrative.
    No one w/a brain thinks they mean not have a police dept, but when you have
    cops making 225k (only 6 yrs on job?), has all the top equipment, plus PD's have access to military stuff
    and most school teachers (in LA for sure) have to get a 2nd or 3rd job to pay rent?
    and pay out of their pocket for extras??? That isn't F'ed up???

I don't see how any parent could see diverting some funds from the PD to the schools as a problem,
    but Trump made up his mind, and you guys don't think for yourselves, anymore.
    & Police unions are the ones that have to go. They have way too much power.

Plus this is all a distraction to keep you guys from talking about Trump's complete and utter failure w/the virus & the fact that its been
    three weeks since the bounties story and he has only called it a hoax. Putin couldn't have asked for anything more, out of his puppet.

San Jose police officer under investigation for behavior during George Floyd protests
    https://abc7news.com/police-officer-...otest/6224192/
    Public records show that Officer Yuen took home $225,000 dollars last year, if you count overtime and benefits. He's been on the job six years.
    San Francisco crowned the ‘world’s best’ city to live: survey
    https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...o-live-survey/

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    Silver lining for you druff: If teachers don't go back to work the students will be less educated and therefor more likely to vote Republican in the future.
    Um no, the kids that will be hurt the most once again with be the kids that come from poor, single parent families, which yes a large percentage are black. The kids coming from two parent homes will do fine as their parents are far more likely to be involved in their students education than kids from poor, single parent homes. The poor kids also depend on school meals much more than the others kids and will suffer without the help. Just another example of liberals thinking they're helping while in reality they're hurting the people the most who have the least.

Defund the police? You should go take a walk into a bad neighbor and knock on the doors of law abiding citizens and ask them if they support defunding the police. Easy for us with white privilege sitting in our safe environment to chant "defund the police". Doesn't seem like such a good idea when there is constant violence outside your front door and the only people that will help you are the police.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyG_415 View Post
    You guys just love just lying to each other.
    This is 100 % BS.
    There might be some Koch brother paid Quacks, that say that on Fox "news", but the consensus is 100 % opposite.
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post
    This is the time to strike, they have the power, & only a mook would think to just stop paying them would be the answer.

And just like Kaepernick's kneel, Trump doesn't get to dictate the narrative.
    No one w/a brain thinks they mean not have a police dept, but when you have
    cops making 225k (only 6 yrs on job?), has all the top equipment, plus PD's have access to military stuff
    and most school teachers (in LA for sure) have to get a 2nd or 3rd job to pay rent?
    and pay out of their pocket for extras??? That isn't F'ed up???

I don't see how any parent could see diverting some funds from the PD to the schools as a problem,
    but Trump made up his mind, and you guys don't think for yourselves, anymore.
    & Police unions are the ones that have to go. They have way too much power.

Plus this is all a distraction to keep you guys from talking about Trump's complete and utter failure w/the virus & the fact that its been
    three weeks since the bounties story and he has only called it a hoax. Putin couldn't have asked for anything more, out of his puppet.

San Jose police officer under investigation for behavior during George Floyd protests
    https://abc7news.com/police-officer-...otest/6224192/
    Public records show that Officer Yuen took home $225,000 dollars last year, if you count overtime and benefits. He's been on the job six years.
    Name:  thisguy2.png
Views: 291
Size:  104.6 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Jimmy, how do you feel about the LA Teachers Union refusing to go back to work unless the city passes unrelated left-wing legislation?

Cool or not cool?

Load Metric
    The "should teachers go back" argument is a complex one, and I understand the teachers union's point. That's not my issue.

It's the fact that they've hijacked that legitimate argument and have changed it into political extortion.

"Kowtow to our extreme left agenda which has nothing to do with teaching, or we are going to refuse to educate your children."

Seriously, abolish these terrible public unions.

BTW, I am a product of the public schooling system. Never attended a private school in my life. Even my college and grad school were public. I had a few pretty bad experiences with teachers which they only got away with because they were union, and there was nothing that could be done. None of it involved anything criminal, but that's exactly the big flaw. If teachers show up for work and don't break the law, they can pretty much do anything else shitty with no consequences.

Fuck teachers unions and fuck police unions.
    SCAB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    big dick sadly doesn't understand the difference between his iron workers union and a teachers union.

Load Metric
    big dick sadly doesn't understand the difference between his iron workers union and a teachers union.
    big bird doesn't understand much of anything, his in laws have to explain things to him.

Comments

Tellafriend: haha

Load Metric
    This is a complicated issue and the article is a bit sensational. If you read the UTLA position paper, they advocate repurposing prison and police funding to better fund public schools. I don’t necessarily disagree with that in principle but I’m really not sure why UTLA is making that part of the negotiation. I guess you start big and work towards the middle.

My wife is actually a teacher for LAUSD and part of the union and she wants to go back to school. The problem is that the district can’t even provide base levels of PPE for the teachers because they have no money. Distance learning for the poor areas of LA is a totally lost cause though. Most of these kids don’t have the devices needed to go online and attend class. Funny enough the whole iPad debacle of a few years ago actually is working out because the district can actually lend some of these out to kids in need.

I could write a novel about all the shit that goes on with the district. It’s really sad and honestly needs to be broken up.

Comments

gimmick: negotiation tactic was my first thought

Jayjami: Spot on

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    This is a complicated issue and the article is a bit sensational. If you read the UTLA position paper, they advocate repurposing prison and police funding to better fund public schools. I don’t necessarily disagree with that in principle but I’m really not sure why UTLA is making that part of the negotiation. I guess you start big and work towards the middle.

My wife is actually a teacher for LAUSD and part of the union and she wants to go back to school. The problem is that the district can’t even provide base levels of PPE for the teachers because they have no money. Distance learning for the poor areas of LA is a totally lost cause though. Most of these kids don’t have the devices needed to go online and attend class. Funny enough the whole iPad debacle of a few years ago actually is working out because the district can actually lend some of these out to kids in need.

I could write a novel about all the shit that goes on with the district. It’s really sad and honestly needs to be broken up.
    LOL @ remote learning. That is a complete fail. I am not sure what the answer is long term, but if anyone thinks you are going to successfully educate 100M kids over an IPAD you are lying to yourself. You will over time develop the best video gamers in a generation though.

Comments

Walter Sobchak: like you know anything

splitthis: You are correct

Thread Information