Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Many Twitter accounts of famous people and billionaires hacked for bitcoin giveaway scam

Load Metric

Many Twitter accounts of famous people and billionaires hacked for bitcoin giveaway scam

Tweet deleted, but damage is done.

Will be interesting to see how much $ the haxors got. Apparently did it to Bill Gates too.

Screenshot here

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 425
Size:  42.5 KB

Load Metric
    So far 5.77 BTC and counting

https://www.blockchain.com/btc/addre...3p83kkfjhx0wlh

Edit : 11 BTC and counting
    Last edited by simpdog; 07-15-2020 at 01:16 PM.

Load Metric
    employee control panel got hacked, according to twitter slack
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Shortly after the initial wave of tweets from Gates and Musk’s accounts, the accounts of Apple, Uber, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden, hip-hop mogul Kanye West, and former New York City mayor and billionaire Mike Bloomberg, among others, were also compromised and began promoting the scam.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/15/2...am-compromised

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I've noticed this scam off and on for quite a while now - at least the past 4 months or so.

I dont understand why it wasn't a big story a while ago and is just coming out now.

I dont have a twitter account so I'm not well versed on all of the ins and outside of twitter. What I noticed though was that on many twitter posts I've clicked on that had a ton of likes/retweets etc and were verified accounts by well known people, the top (or first?) Tweet response would be what looked like this particular scam and would be tweeted from another well known twitter account to make it look like it was a legit deal.

And I know what you're thinking, but the accounts looked to me like they were the actual verified accounts and not fake ones - I'd even click on the twitter user in the post and it would lead me to their actual legit twitter page

It looked to me like the scam was pretty elaborate because the scam post would often have a ton of likes and responses saying "I just received mine!" etc.

Load Metric
    Are you sure that Barack Obama and Bill Gates haven't embraced Bitcoin and are giving away free money?

Load Metric
    lol twitter, they're gonna get theirs.

Picture of admin tool proves they lied to congress, shadow banning real.

fucking mongs just got owned.

Name:  20200716_000413.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  159.3 KB

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by dwai View Post
    Picture of admin tool proves they lied to congress, shadow banning real.
    shadow banning (and pretty much every other kind of banning or hiding of people and/or posts) was added to their ToS at the start of the year, so it's hardly a surprise, and its certainly not an owning. If this screenshot was from a year or 2 ago, it would have been worth something.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Why wasn't Trump targeted? So he could later be blamed or something?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also a friend with a blue check mark told me at 3:30pm they were banned from posting.

Lol Twitter

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Good article about the situation and Twitter being inept one again:

https://www.theverge.com/interface/2...r-bitcoin-scam

Load Metric
    Twitter blocked tweets from verified accounts after a massive security breach

https://www.technologyreview.com/202...curity-breach/

What do Joe Biden, Barack Obama, Elon Musk, and Bill Gates have in common?

Dozens of high-profile verified Twitter accounts were hacked on Wednesday, seemingly to push a cryptocurrency scam that may have netted upwards of $100,000 in a matter of minutes. These kinds of scams are old hat on Twitter, but never have so many prominent accounts been taken over at once.

To stem the tide, Twitter appeared to take the unprecedented step of suspending all tweets from verified accounts for about a half hour on Wednesday. They also blocked some password reset attempts.

Several victims of the hack said they use multi-factor authentication to protect their accounts, but that security feature was of no use. Instead, the sheer volume of hacked accounts suggests a problem with Twitter itself. A company spokesperson said Twitter is “investigating and taking steps” to address the incident.

An early Twitter investigation found a "coordinated social engineering attack" that successfully targeted company employees. In the context of cybersecurity, social engineering is psychological manipulation. In plain English, it means the Twitter employees were tricked in some way by the hackers.

"We know they used this access to take control of many highly-visible (including verified) accounts and Tweet on their behalf," the company said. "We’re looking into what other malicious activity they may have conducted or information they may have accessed and will share more here as we have it."

The company has "taken significant steps to limit access to internal systems and tools while our investigation is ongoing."

While the hack at first glance seemed to be part of a Bitcoin scam, there could be another motive. Any hacker who can tweet from an account could potentially be able to read private direct messages.

The outcome could have been worse than a few scam tweets given the prominence of the victims. Perhaps the most infamous Twitter hack of all time took place in 2013, when the Associated Press tweeted about explosions at the White House and sent the stock market plummeting temporarily. The attackers this time around could have sown similar chaos. Last year, the account of Twitter founder Jack Dorsey was hacked.

The hacking of a presidential candidate and the potential breach of private communications echoes the 2016 race, when emails from Hillary Clinton’s campaign and the Democratic National Committee were leaked by Russian government hackers. President Donald Trump, Twitter’s most famous user, has not been affected by the incident.

Takeovers first began late in the afternoon US Eastern Time against primarily cryptocurrency-focused accounts like the trading platforms Coinbase, Gemini, and Binance. The impact spread quickly after that.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    It's pathetic that Twitter didn't have better security procedures in place for high-profile users.

There's a very simple fix to this.

Appoint one or more intelligent high-level employees to have the task to sign off on any kind of account or password reset of a high-profile user. Make it to where it's actually impossible to reset the account or password without that high-level employee giving direct authorization (and in some kind of way which can't be hacked, such as requiring it to be done in person).

Instead, Twitter allowed their backend tools to transfer access of these accounts at any time (presumably to help people recover hacked/forgotten passwords), and once these tools were accessed, it was a free-for-all.

Dumb.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Why wasn't Trump targeted? So he could later be blamed or something?
    Nice conspiracy theory assumption.

Maybe it's because nobody would fall for it because everybody already knows Orange Cuck isn't giving jack shit away to anybody.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    You have to be a complete dummy to fall for send me money, I will send you more money back scams.

Comments

MumblesBadly: More so than being a working class voter in America and continuing to believe that Trump is working as president to better their lives?
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by splitthis View Post
    You have to be a complete dummy to fall for send me money, I will send you more money back scams.
    Yep, it's really a good thing nothing of the kind has ever been tried here.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Walter, no reason to get partisan here. There's a real reason why Trump wasn't included in this. It wasn't an error by omission.

It's either that the hackers were pro-Trump and didn't want to do this to him, or they were anti-Trump and though he might get some kind of blame for being behind this in some way.

The attack very likely came from outside the US, so it really doesn't say much about either party, regardless of the reason.

I also don't believe that this was anything but a clever scam. I'm reading a lot of stuff about the bitcoin thing being a cover to get access to sensitive private messages, but that fails the sanity check. If the target was private messages, the hackers would have not posted anything publicly about bitcoin, but rather stayed on the accounts under-the-radar until the account owners tried to access it and couldn't. They could have tried to impersonate these people in the private messages to perhaps get even more information.

It doesn't appear any of this happened. Also, aside from Biden, notice that most of the targets were people (or companies) known to have a ton of money, to where the "I'm giving away money" story might actually be semi-believable to gullible people.

It's still unbelievable that a huge company like Twitter lacked internal security controls to prevent something like this. They should treat these high-profile accounts extra carefully, given the damage that could be caused if they were compromised. The fact that these accounts could be taken over without any actual "hacking", and without any necessary human intervention/verification from within Twitter, is mind-boggling.

Load Metric
    Hackers reportedly paid Twitter staffer to help with high-profile attack

https://nypost.com/2020/07/16/twitte...t-hack-report/

Hackers paid a Twitter employee who helped them carry out an unprecedented attack on several high-profile accounts, a report says.

The Twitter insider allegedly worked with hackers to take over the accounts of Tesla chief Elon Musk, former president Barack Obama, tech tycoon Bill Gates and others, according to Motherboard.

One of the anonymous hackers involved in Wednesday’s attack told the outlet they paid the employee for their help, though the terms of their purported deal are unclear.

“We used a rep that literally done all the work for us,” another hacker told the tech news site published by Vice News.

The accounts were taken over with an internal Twitter tool that shows various details about the identity and status of user accounts, such as whether the email address has been confirmed and whether the account has been suspended, according to screenshots Motherboard published.

Twitter told Motherboard that it’s still investigating whether its employee allowed hackers to access the tool or used it to take over the accounts themselves.

The company referred The Post’s questions to its Wednesday statement on the attack, which acknowledged that hackers “successfully targeted some of our employees with access to internal systems and tools,” and used that access to take control of high-profile accounts owned by Apple, Uber, Kanye West and others.

San Francisco-based Twitter said it has moved to limit access to its internal systems and tools while it investigates the incident, which it called “a coordinated social engineering attack.”

"We’re looking into what other malicious activity they may have conducted or information they may have accessed,” Twitter said in a series of tweets.

The hack sent Twitter shares tumbling 5.1 percent in premarket trading Thursday to $33.83 as of 7:19 a.m.
    If that's true, I wonder how much they paid so they could "hack" Twitter?

How much will Facebook employees charge to allow hackers to "hack" their system?

Load Metric
    Here's a pretty good, longish explanation of what is known at the moment.

Who’s Behind Wednesday’s Epic Twitter Hack?

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2020/07/...ck/#more-52278

some interesting parts:

"In the days leading up to Wednesday’s attack on Twitter, there were signs that some actors in the SIM swapping community were selling the ability to change an email address tied to any Twitter account. In a post on OGusers — a forum dedicated to account hijacking — a user named “Chaewon” advertised they could change email address tied to any Twitter account for $250, and provide direct access to accounts for between $2,000 and $3,000 apiece."
    "If PlugWalkJoe was in fact pivotal to this Twitter compromise, it’s perhaps fitting that he was identified in part via social engineering. Maybe we should all be grateful the perpetrators of this attack on Twitter did not set their sights on more ambitious aims, such as disrupting an election or the stock market, or attempting to start a war by issuing false, inflammatory tweets from world leaders."
    "Also, it seems clear that this Twitter hack could have let the attackers view the direct messages of anyone on Twitter, information that is difficult to put a price on but which nevertheless would be of great interest to a variety of parties, from nation states to corporate spies and blackmailers."

Thread Information