View Poll Results: Do you believe this girl? Should she be called out for possibly lying?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obvious hoax, call it out

2 18.18%
  • Likely a hoax, but keep quiet just in case it's real

5 45.45%
  • Too hard to tell from the information given

3 27.27%
  • It's likely real, stop being an asshole

0 0%
  • Don't know / don't care

1 9.09%

Thread: You Make the Call: Tragic Rape Victim or Facebook Attention Whore?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

You Make the Call: Tragic Rape Victim or Facebook Attention Whore?

I'm a member of certain Facebook groups which occasionally get trolls and sickos making up tragic stories for attention. Usually these people aren't very good at covering their tracks, and it's relatively easy to deduce who the liars are.

However, when it comes to the subject of rape, obviously it can be tough to question, and it can be devastating to the victim if you voice suspicion but turn out to be incorrect. At the same time, it's a really sick thing to ask for advice related to rape in a social media group setting, when in reality you are just making up the whole thing.

A girl made the following post tonight in the group. I've blocked out her name.

Notice the comment she made shortly after that.

Name:  fbhoax1.png
Views: 393
Size:  18.2 KB

However, a look at her posting history in the group, dating back to late 2016, shows this:

Name:  fbhoax2.png
Views: 410
Size:  30.0 KB

So this is a bit suspicious, to say the least.

In December 2016, she's asking advice about her boyfriend who was supposedly planning to propose to her, but he had previously "assaulted" her, and she was looking for advice.

Then in November 2019, a stranger "assaulted" her, and she was afraid to leave the house.

Now in July 2020, she just found out she's pregnant with a rapist's baby. It couldn't be the assaulting guy from November, because she'd be 8 months pregnant and wouldn't have "just found out". So this means she got raped on top of being assaulted twice by two other guys, in three separate incidents?

And what happened to that boyfriend? She never posted another word about him.

She only has 6 posts in the group since joining December 2016, and 3 are the ones you see above.

Obviously this is highly suspicious.

Do you believe her?

Do you think it should be questioned? Or should everyone politely pretend not to notice and answer seriously, just in case it's real?

YOU MAKE THE CALL

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Ignore it, no sense in giving a nut job you don’t know any reason to mess with you.

Load Metric
    What is Muck Ficon's wife doing in your Facebook group?

Comments

Muck Ficon: You are pathetic....but it's funny. Keep going

Load Metric
    How the hell is any of that suspicious? Like what do the 3 incidents have to do with each other? Like did you really look at that and think oh wow someone had 3 bad things happen to them over the course of......checks notes.....4 years so clearly the last incident is HIGHLY SUS.

You should start your own detective agency you fucking faggot

Diamond
    Load Metric
    woman is a nutbar, obv stay away and do not be involved with anything she says or does

Load Metric
    There is a lot of deeply troubled girls who surround themselves with garbage and drugs and are going to be way more likely to find themselves in bad spots when they pass out or whatever that are a grey area, particularly when it’s men they’re already involved with.

It can be a mixture of truth and hyperbole and lies and embarrassment as they usually end up back with guys who might be trash because of low self esteem and that’s why no follow up. It’s also possibly entirely fabricated or some dude being a dick trolling.

It’s not rape in the traditional stranger in the bushes sense.

It’s just sad really. Girls like that engaging in social media is a bad idea. They are often just sick girls and people look to poke holes in stories because they usually have a lot of holes and everyone has to win arguments on the Internet, but what are you really winning if you expose some girls fragile mental state and mess of a life?

As long as they aren’t pressing charges, just be happy they aren’t your daughter or sister and move along. If you’re seeking attention that publicly, it’s usually a sign of an underlying problem. If they aren’t publicly naming some accuser who is getting slandered, it’s just pathetic but whatever.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    There is a lot of deeply troubled girls who surround themselves with garbage and drugs and are going to be way more likely to find themselves in bad spots when they pass out or whatever that are a grey area, particularly when it’s men they’re already involved with.

It can be a mixture of truth and hyperbole and lies and embarrassment as they usually end up back with guys who might be trash because of low self esteem and that’s why no follow up. It’s also possibly entirely fabricated or some dude being a dick trolling.

It’s just sad really. Girls like that engaging in social media is a bad idea. They are often just sick girls and people look to poke holes in stories because they usually have a lot of holes and everyone has to win arguments on the Internet, but what are you really winning if you expose some girls fragile mental state and mess of a life?

As long as they aren’t pressing charges, just be happy they aren’t your daughter or sister and move along. If you’re seeking attention that publicly, it’s usually a sign of an underlying problem. If they aren’t publicly naming some accuser who is getting slandered, it’s just pathetic but whatever.
    this.

Unless she's hurting someone (like making false accusations by name) or you are 100% sure it's a troll then no good will come from shaming her or publicly shaming the people who inevitably comfort her.

Load Metric
    Druff, try not to think about it, the baby is probably not yours
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric

Most rape is not stranger in the bushes type rape. Most is someone the girl knows.

No woman deserves to be raped but if you keep putting yourself in dangerous situations again and again it’s likely to happen. Smarten up, delete social media and if you don’t want the rapist’s baby (understandable), place it for adoption.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    It's made up.

No one who actually experienced this would come to post it on a Facebook group likely related to politics, cruise ships, fast food, lesbians, etc.

Someone like Bottomset mining for attention. You've been rolled.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post

Most rape is not stranger in the bushes type rape. Most is someone the girl knows.

No woman deserves to be raped but if you keep putting yourself in dangerous situations again and again it’s likely to happen. Smarten up, delete social media and if you don’t want the rapist’s baby (understandable), place it for adoption.
    As a rape victim yourself, I would have to defer since you likely got sodomized by an aggressive roommate after a night of too much Hennessy.

Comments

Walter Sobchak: Good post!!!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Okay, so time to reveal the rest of the story.

I was really on the fence as to what I should do here. I was just about 100% sure that this girl was telling tall tales, but I wasn't sure if I should call it out. This was the type of Facebook group where it was reasonable to post such stories (if they were true), but it bothered me seeing so many people taking it seriously, including some who seemed legitimately shaken by the girl's latest revelation. One woman posted, "I keep encountering women this is happening to. I really think I can't trust being around any men anymore."

I started feeling really bad for those who were shaken by what seemed to be a completely fabricated story.

At the same time, I was hesitating saying anything. What if I was wrong? I considered the possible emotional damage I might do to this poor girl if I was incorrect and questioned her. And even if I was right, was I going to cause a huge wave of anger and resentment in the group by questioning a claim of rape? The group is about two-thirds female, so I figured a likely backlash was coming if I said anything.

I was about to just close the thread and move on, but something was just eating at me. She was full of crap. I knew she was. There were 58 comments from people eating it up, some of whom were emotionally affected by it. I threw caution to the wind. I posted a polite message pointing out this girl's history in the group, and asked her a few questions. I closed with, "Friends, I'm afraid this might not be what it seems."

I then braced myself for the cacophony of angry responses.

Very shorty thereafter, I got notifications that people were responding. I took a deep breath and opened the thread again.

"Thank you for saying this!! I looked at her history also and thought the same, but was afraid to post it."

"Wow, I agree, looks very suspicious"

"I was totally fooled, but I think you are right. Thank you!"

"How sick is this person to post this here? I'm glad you said something."

Lots of responses to me, but 100% were positive. Not one person was shaming me for calling this out. Not one person voiced that I should have kept quiet. I got tons of "likes" on my post, and not a single angry face or anything like that.

The group moderator then messaged me. He said that he was also highly suspicious of this, and was happy that I had said something, because he couldn't bring himself to do it. He locked the thread a few hours later, and deleted it a few hours after that.

During the time was open, not a single person questioned my conclusion or the fact that I posted the questioning response. Everyone was extremely positive toward me.

I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised. I just hope I was correct (I'm almost sure I was).

Comments

MumblesBadly: Well done. Politely raising the issue seemed to bring the well-meaning-but-gullible in that group to their senses.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

I was really on the fence as to what I should do here. I was just about 100% sure that this girl was telling tall tales, but I wasn't sure if I should call it out. This was the type of Facebook group where it was reasonable to post such stories (if they were true), but it bothered me seeing so many people taking it seriously, including some who seemed legitimately shaken by the girl's latest revelation. One woman posted, "I keep encountering women this is happening to. I really think I can't trust being around any men anymore."

I started feeling really bad for those who were shaken by what seemed to be a completely fabricated story.

At the same time, I was hesitating saying anything. What if I was wrong? I considered the possible emotional damage I might do to this poor girl if I was incorrect and questioned her. And even if I was right, was I going to cause a huge wave of anger and resentment in the group by questioning a claim of rape? The group is about two-thirds female, so I figured a likely backlash was coming if I said anything.

I was about to just close the thread and move on, but something was just eating at me. She was full of crap. I knew she was. There were 58 comments from people eating it up, some of whom were emotionally affected by it. I threw caution to the wind. I posted a polite message pointing out this girl's history in the group, and asked her a few questions. I closed with, "Friends, I'm afraid this might not be what it seems."

I then braced myself for the cacophony of angry responses.

Very shorty thereafter, I got notifications that people were responding. I took a deep breath and opened the thread again.

"Thank you for saying this!! I looked at her history also and thought the same, but was afraid to post it."

"Wow, I agree, looks very suspicious"

"I was totally fooled, but I think you are right. Thank you!"

"How sick is this person to post this here? I'm glad you said something."

Lots of responses to me, but 100% were positive. Not one person was shaming me for calling this out. Not one person voiced that I should have kept quiet. I got tons of "likes" on my post, and not a single angry face or anything like that.

The group moderator then messaged me. He said that he was also highly suspicious of this, and was happy that I had said something, because he couldn't bring himself to do it. He locked the thread a few hours later, and deleted it a few hours after that.

During the time was open, not a single person questioned my conclusion or the fact that I posted the questioning response. Everyone was extremely positive toward me.

I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised. I just hope I was correct (I'm almost sure I was).
    pix or it didn't happen

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I would totally post pics of the conversation, but sadly it's gone. I didn't expect the mod to delete it.

Load Metric

I was really on the fence as to what I should do here.
    What a mature adult would do is keep your mouth shut and mind your own fucking business. What gives you responsibility to do something about this? You clearly have some sort of anosognosia.

Do you realize that people telling their story often helps others heal? I’m sure her post had many positive comments as well. Why take that away from people? If they believe her and it helps them in some way, do you get pleasure in exposing the fraud?

Comments

MumblesBadly: Jesus fucking Christ! The whole point of being in such a group is to share your thoughts about the topics brought up b
    It's hilarious that we as a society think everyone can be a dr, a lawyer, an engineer. Some people are just fucking stupid. Why can't we just accept that?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by jsearles22 View Post

I was really on the fence as to what I should do here.
    What a mature adult would do is keep your mouth shut and mind your own fucking business. What gives you responsibility to do something about this? You clearly have some sort of anosognosia.

Do you realize that people telling their story often helps others heal? I’m sure her post had many positive comments as well. Why take that away from people? If they believe her and it helps them in some way, do you get pleasure in exposing the fraud?
    It wasn't helping anyone heal. These weren't rape victims who were expressing solidarity with this bullshitter.

These were women who already had some trust/psychological issues, and were visibly upset to read this tragic story.

I felt very bad for these women when I read their responses, as they were having a clearly bad emotional reaction to what was almost surely a BS story. Like, there so much stress and bad news going on in the world today, this is the last thing that an emotionally fragile person wants to read about.

I decided to get involved because I thought it would be a net positive -- that it would actually be a relief to the people upset by this -- and it turned out I was correct.

The fact that I got 100% positive response from what I did was proof enough that I made the right call.

Comments

1marley1: Just like when you called out the fake cancer scam so all your own users weren’t duped. Good work.

MumblesBadly: Druff, feelmfree to tell others that the Mumbles approves of how you handled this matter.

Thread Information