Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AhoosierA's weightloss bet (includes money added to the freeroll each month)

Load Metric

AhoosierA's weightloss bet (includes money added to the freeroll each month)

TL;DR:

-AhoosierA is fat and out of shape
    -AhooiserA wants to lose approx 3 lbs/week for the rest of the year. He will donate $1 per pound over 2.5 lbs a week that he loses to a weight-loss freeroll to take place in Jan 2021
    -AhoosierA will donate $25 to the weight-loss freeroll every week that he doesn't lose 2.5 lbs
    -I want YOU to take place and pledge to donate $1 for every lb over 2.5 lbs lost per week. You will gain access to the freeroll.

Hello PFA members,

I've considered a weight-loss bet for some time now, but have never jumped on it, but I have an idea that will not only give me motivation to lose some weight and get in better shape, but will also allow me and possibly some others to give back to the site. I'll explain below.

First a little about myself.

I'm 6'-0 and approximately 260 lbs. I'm 34 years old.

I've not been below 230 lbs since the age of 24.

I have asthma, and a bum knee from breaking my femur and smashing my knee in a car accident at the age of 18. Prior to that car accident I was extremely active in sports and weights.

THE PFA WEIGHT-LOSS BET/PLEDGE

I'm going to make a goal of losing 50 lbs by the end of 2020. Again I'm almost 260 lbs.

This equates to 10lbs/mo or 2.5lbs/week.

MY PLEDGE TO THE PFA WEIGHT-LOSS FREEROLL. PLEASE PLEDGE WITH ME.

I am going to video record my weight each week and post it in this thread.

- If I do NOT lose at least 2.5 lbs that week, I will donate $25 to the PFA weight-loss freeroll.

If I DO surpass the 2.5 lbs that week, I will donate $1 per lb that I beat it by.

I'm asking YOU to also pledge $1 per pound over the 2.5 lbs per week that I lose as well.

All the money pledged to the weight-loss bet will be pooled into a freeroll in January 2021. And only people who contributed to the pool will be able to participate in the freeroll.

If I DO NOT meet the goal weight of 210 lbs by January 1st 2021, I will have to donate a total of $500 personally to the weight-loss freeroll (the $500 will include any money that I have donated to the freeroll from July-December...so if Ive donated for example $150 from July-December, I'd have to add an additional $350)

I'd like for a minimum of 10 PFA members to get involved with this.

Druff, if we could maybe talk about this on then side and announce it on radio?

Example:

I start at 260 lbs and weigh in at 254 to start week 2. I and all pledgers will donate $4 that week. Week 3: I weigh in at 250. I and all pledgers will donate $2 that week. Week 3: I weigh in at 251 (I gained a pound) I will donate $25 and the pledgers have to donate $0.

Comments

Dan Druff: nice! good luck

Walter Sobchak: A+

JeffDime: Good for you man!

dwai: good luck

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Great idea!

You can feel free to message me privately about it if you want any further details hammered out.

FYI I feel the most important thing is to land on a permanent eating/exercise pattern you can live with. It's okay to go extreme to lose the weight, but you need to pick a "fall back" point which isn't too far beyond that, or the weight will return.

Good luck

Load Metric
    The only weight loss bets/freerolls allowed around here are China fleecing PFA users.

Load Metric
    FUCK, you have a BMI of 35 which is borderline morbidly obese. You are basically a septic shock tank for COVID-19. Forget losing a few pounds. You need to stay at home and isolate and go on a starvation diet so you are not waddling around infecting the rest of us with corona. Stop buying the extra large Mountain Dew at the gas station as a start, WTF is the matter with you?

Comments

JeffDime: F U

Walter Sobchak: Fuck you

Muck Ficon: Lol

splitthis:

Load Metric
    Go natural and the weight will fall off without hunger while you nourish your nutrient starved body!

Comments

Walter Sobchak: When you say it, it sounds so sexy
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric
    Change your diet FOREVER to achieve and maintain healthy body and mind! Diets don’t work, changing how you choose and perceive foods does!
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric
    Routing for you man! You are right at the age where you have a window to turn things around. My only suggestion is to try and get your primary Doc to run a full blood panel on you so you can see where you stand with glucose, cholesterol, etc. That would be great info to have before you start your journey and compare at the end of it. All the best!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    FUCK, you have a BMI of 35 which is borderline morbidly obese. You are basically a septic shock tank for COVID-19. Forget losing a few pounds. You need to stay at home and isolate and go on a starvation diet so you are not waddling around infecting the rest of us with corona. Stop buying the extra large Mountain Dew at the gas station as a start, WTF is the matter with you?
    Captain obvious.

My soda of choice is Coke Zero, i switched to that from Pepsi probably 2.5 years ago, but still drink way too much soda. That will probably be one of my biggest hurdles.

As for Covid, I think I have already had it, prior to it being a big thing in the news. I rarely ever get sick and back in November/December I was the sickest I have ever been with all of the symptoms that Covid causes. All of my tests for flu, pneumonia, etc, came back negative.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by splitthis View Post
    Change your diet FOREVER to achieve and maintain healthy body and mind! Diets don’t work, changing how you choose and perceive foods does!
    For sure. Ive never believed any of these popular "diets" like atkins, paleo, etc.

I did reluctantly try the Keto diet about 2 years ago and lost 25 lbs in 2-3 months, but couldn't keep up with the limited food options and gained it all back within 6 weeks of ending that diet.

I think I may try Veganism 88.4% of the time

Comments

donkeykilla: LOL

Load Metric
    Do what you can to minimize and/or cut out that Coke Zero.

While not as degenerate as Druff downing liters of liquid diabetes Pepsi, that fake sweet tricks your brain and creates hunger. I used to drink Diet Coke like water but only progressed weight loss once I stopped.

Don't eliminate too many things all at once, think gradual progress. Don't lose sight when you inevitably plateau some weeks. Get moving.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by AhoosierA View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Captain obvious.

My soda of choice is Coke Zero, i switched to that from Pepsi probably 2.5 years ago, but still drink way too much soda. That will probably be one of my biggest hurdles.

As for Covid, I think I have already had it, prior to it being a big thing in the news. I rarely ever get sick and back in November/December I was the sickest I have ever been with all of the symptoms that Covid causes. All of my tests for flu, pneumonia, etc, came back negative.
    I love the Coke Zero and other sugarless sodas too. I compromised by still drinking unsweetened flavored sparkling waters. I still have a zero once in a while.

One thing you can do for yourself is drink matcha. Will help you burn. Add some lemon juice for even more benefits. If you need to, add just a bit of raw honey to take the edge off. It's strong stuff.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post

Captain obvious.

I love the Coke Zero and other sugarless sodas too. I compromised by still drinking unsweetened flavored sparkling waters. I still have a zero once in a while.

One thing you can do for yourself is drink matcha. Will help you burn. Add some lemon juice for even more benefits. If you need to, add just a bit of raw honey to take the edge off. It's strong stuff.

Add some elderflower and I think you got the start of a great hipster cocktail

Load Metric

Captain obvious.

oh man I don't know how you do that, every sparkling water I've tried has been awful

Comments

Crowe Diddly: when you're right, you're right rep

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by dwai View Post

oh man I don't know how you do that, every sparkling water I've tried has been awful
    It's not easy. I just forced myself to get used to it. I still grab an orange vanilla Coke Zero sometimes, or a diet Mountain Dew which is God.

Comments

dwai: sparkling water rep

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Clear Choice is legit

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by dwai View Post

Bubly is pretty good and flavorful compared to most.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Waterloo is the best I've had. You can get it at Whole Foods.

Load Metric
    Good luck.

I don’t think you got the buy in to your pledge because no one wants to calculate I owe a $1 or $2 for these weeks, but not these other weeks. Plus I don’t want to see you going for 2.5lbs as you get lower. At first you’ll lose 5lbs a week easily, but then eventually hit a wall.

If you’re lifting or anything, which you should be, trying to lose 2.5 per week will become counter productive at some point. It’s not a crazy amount or anything, and I’ve lost more quicker coming off illness, but in retrospect, I lost too much muscle with it and I would have been better served to lose 1lb a week as I got closer to the weight I wanted to hold. You just get so disgusted with yourself you want it gone as fast as possible.

I did that around 36 or 37 upon getting well. I think you may be in that age range iirc. It caught me a little off guard tbh. When I’d transition from football season to summer when young, I could go down from 225 to 180 and have it look great as a young guy and get everyone telling me how great I looked. It doesn’t work that way over 35, and particularly over 40 if you rush. You can get results you don’t love and it can age you or you can lose a lot of muscle.

Tell you what, I’ll pledge $50 if you get all the way down, regardless of timetable, which is more than I’d owe as you likely won’t lose exactly 2.5lbs every week.

I don’t want you trying to lose 8 pounds on Christmas week. I’d rather just see you come down wisely for your own health at the right pace. You do what you want of course, and I get wanting to keep yourself honest, but it’s your contest and you have no takers yet, so you can just modify the rules without it being a rolling or scam of any sort, and just make it if you go up during any week then you owe $50 or $75 as there isn’t any excuse for going up, and that will keep you honest as it’s a little more, and don’t worry about an arbitrary timetable. You can have a really positive week as you’re sitting at 225 and worked out and lost fat, but he only down 1lb and you’ll be pressing yourself to dehydrate or something because you have a hard 2.5 target every week, which kind of defeats the purpose. Bang yourself a little harder if you go up at all and that will keep you honest.

That’s entirely up to you of course, and I’ll pledge $50 to the free roll if you make it down at any point regardless of timetable. You want to do it quick that’s your call. I’d also put the goal a little lower if you move the timetable out a few months. Unless you have a whole lot of muscle, 210 is much better than 260, but 190 is even better at 6 foot even. Take it down lower and build up from that point.

You might be shocked how much better your knee feels. I was fat during the entire course of my illness because all the treatments were surgeries, and I couldn’t be active, and my natural trend is I can gain quickly if inactive.

I got diagnosed with a partially torn meniscus when fat and it hurt coming down steps every time and certain activities.

It wasn’t debilitating, but I assumed surgery was in my future if I lived. The moment I got below a certain weight on the way down, I swear to god I’ve never had a single ache in that knee one moment since. I assume the tear kind of healed itself as partial tears can, and the weight loss just allowed the inflammation and irritation to finally subside or something.

That’s unscientific, but it simply disappeared at a number on a scale like 195lbs or something after hurting for years. You have an inch of height on me, which is why I say maybe 200 or 190 will be a better number for you. Our bodies aren’t meant to carry around excess weight. Joints, heart enlargement, knees, those are where our heaviness really adds to our health care costs.

Everyone knows about diabetes and the obesity shit that everyone talks about, but I bet we’d cut down 75% of the knee replacements we see in people over 50 if we were a more healthy weight. I see a lot of people going in for one and then the next year having the other done, and that’s like $70-$100k, and they are almost always pretty heavy, and it’s very often the taxpayer paying for that via Medicare or it’s some broke person who is a mess in their 50s and it’s Medicaid.

I can understand the people who want to keep health care private, but I’ll never understand those that want to keep it private and don’t think we need to directly address the weight problem and costs. Weight just doesn’t kill, it costs a whole lot of $ and we keep getting fatter. Those that really love our private health care system, you need to be a healthy weight advocate, because obesity will eventually sink it without some socialist movement. Usually the same people who want to get rid of Obamacare are the same people who get pissed at soda limitations and such that aren’t really some draconian law. People didn’t drink 44oz soft drinks in 1965 and that’s why they weren’t fat.

I’m always kind of shocked these people endure that long and painful rehab without trying to shed some weight first and see if it can be avoided. That’s a place where the medical industrial complex really lies and hits the cash register button ringing up big $.

They’ll act like the damage is already done and replacement is inevitable when it really can be turned around often.

Anyway, good luck, however you decide to do it, and I’m in.

Load Metric
    Look, you have been really fat for quite a while. You are not just overweight, but obese and borderline morbidly obese. You probably have significant blockage in your arteries at this point. You need to take drastic action because you literally at this point looking at being 3 bills at the age of 40 and probably staring down a fatal or debilitating stroke. Bottom line is you need to be down to 1,500 calories a day from this point forward.

My advice is buy the following, like today
    - Lots of Sirloin steak (it's lean)
    - Lots of skinless chicken, you can braise it with a low cal mustard sauce
    - Lots of fish. I know you are poor but you can buy frozen fish and defrost it. It's not as good as fresh, but its close enough and cheaper. Little olive oil and salt and pepper
    - Lots of Vegetables. You can get them frozen and salt and pepper them up
    - Salad, Salad, Salad. Just get a moderate cal dressing but stay away from the fat free stuff, it's no edible, but stay away from Ranch and Bleu Cheese as well
    - Eggs. Lots of them. Have two every other day
    - Fruit. It's a good substitute for a processed sugar desert. Hey, have an apple as opposed to a cupcake

You literally just got about $1,000 worth of advice that a nutritionist would have charged. Put a few bucks to the free roll instead, I don't need the money.

Comments

Muck Ficon: Lol. Free advice from a drunk. Nice.

Walter Sobchak: Jonathan Livingston Fuckup

splitthis:

Thread Information