Name:  563233671_o.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  50.2 KB

Name:  571977042_o.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  162.5 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    most people don't remember how good bobby valentine was. he played half back and had 100 football scholarships offers as well..notre dame, usc, etc,...he was suppose to be better then garvey. a knee injuries messed him up, and he really never was able to get going in the big leagues

one pic is from ogden in 1968..the second one is from spokane in either 69/70

look at these numbers in AAA

146game 621ab 122runs 211hits 39doubles 16triples 14hr 80rbi 29sb .340ba

Walking Image Library
    Load Metric
    Here is a good book if you are a big baseball/Dodgers/Cubs fan -- Temporary Insanity by Jay Johnstone.

Johnstone was jokester MLB player. The book is full of many funny stories of JJ driving Lasorda, Cey, and Garvey Nuts.

Garvey was such a goody goody he even refused to swear. This inspired JJ to make an escalating series of pranks to try and set Garvey off.

http://www.amazon.com/Temporary-Insa.../dp/0553261673

Comments

rum dick: Seriously great book

Silver
    Load Metric
    Thoughts and prayers to Lasorda, the GOAT of my lifetime. Seems appropriate in 2020.

Puts His Dick in the Mashed Potatoes
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by bukowski72 View Post
    Here is a good book if you are a big baseball/Dodgers/Cubs fan -- Temporary Insanity by Jay Johnstone.

Johnstone was jokester MLB player. The book is full of many funny stories of JJ driving Lasorda, Cey, and Garvey Nuts.

Garvey was such a goody goody he even refused to swear. This inspired JJ to make an escalating series of pranks to try and set Garvey off.

http://www.amazon.com/Temporary-Insa.../dp/0553261673

That book is awesome! Read it years ago. RIP Jay!

Load Metric
    Don’t get me started on Bobby Valentine. One of the last great characters of old school baseball. Inventor of the wrap sandwich. He was like the Donald Trump of managers.

His year in Boston was the most entertaining trainwreck of my life. Impossible to describe the disfunction.

He never should have left Japan. He’d be emperor by now.

Comments

rum dick: Lol

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    far left in that pic is billy buckner, buckner was great mlb hitter.

really surprised valentine turned into such a shitty hitter in the big leagues,

those early 70's rookies turned into a legendary all star infield in the late 70's

cey, russell, lopes garvey......valentine was suppose to be better than them all
    Quote Originally Posted by bottomset_69 View Post
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by mulva View Post
    there wasn't anything surprising about it, dude had one of the worst injuries that's ever happened in a baseball game, he's lucky he could even play baseball again nevermind reach his potential.

https://tht.fangraphs.com/tht-live/4...reaks-his-leg/

"Then came May 17, 1973. This would be another of those games with Valentine in center. In the top of the second, Valentine’s career came to a sudden, shocking halt. Oakland’s Dick Green hit one to deep center field. Valentine went to the wall hoping to leap and rob Green of a home run. It didn’t work out that way. It really, really didn’t work out that way.

Valentine leaped up all right, but the ball missed his glove by a hair, for a home run. More importantly, gravity made a disastrous appearance. Valentine began descending, and when he did, his leg got tangled in the wall. It went between a pair of supporting poles. The wall gave way a bit, just enough to trap his leg. Then it flipped him to the ground. The middle part of his shin was bent. That middle part of a shin is never supposed to bend, but bend it did. It was the closest baseball got to a Joe Thiesman-Lawrence Taylor moment.

Valentine had multiple fractures to his right leg. He spent the rest of the 1973 season in various casts, but when they were taken off more bad news was in store for him. His bones hadn’t healed properly. Another surgery could fix it, but would mean Valentine would miss all of 1974, at the very least. He decided to play on his messed-up leg. He would play more than 100 games in 1974, but was soon relegated to backup duties. No more star-to-be, Valentine became a hanger-on. He bounced from the Angels to the Padres to the Mets to the Mariners, where his career ended in 1979, when he was still not even 30 years old."

Comments

Sanlmar: Did not know this.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    there wasn't anything surprising about it, dude had one of the worst injuries that's ever happened in a baseball game, he's lucky he could even play baseball again nevermind reach his potential.

https://tht.fangraphs.com/tht-live/4...reaks-his-leg/

"Then came May 17, 1973. This would be another of those games with Valentine in center. In the top of the second, Valentine’s career came to a sudden, shocking halt. Oakland’s Dick Green hit one to deep center field. Valentine went to the wall hoping to leap and rob Green of a home run. It didn’t work out that way. It really, really didn’t work out that way.

Valentine leaped up all right, but the ball missed his glove by a hair, for a home run. More importantly, gravity made a disastrous appearance. Valentine began descending, and when he did, his leg got tangled in the wall. It went between a pair of supporting poles. The wall gave way a bit, just enough to trap his leg. Then it flipped him to the ground. The middle part of his shin was bent. That middle part of a shin is never supposed to bend, but bend it did. It was the closest baseball got to a Joe Thiesman-Lawrence Taylor moment.

Valentine had multiple fractures to his right leg. He spent the rest of the 1973 season in various casts, but when they were taken off more bad news was in store for him. His bones hadn’t healed properly. Another surgery could fix it, but would mean Valentine would miss all of 1974, at the very least. He decided to play on his messed-up leg. He would play more than 100 games in 1974, but was soon relegated to backup duties. No more star-to-be, Valentine became a hanger-on. He bounced from the Angels to the Padres to the Mets to the Mariners, where his career ended in 1979, when he was still not even 30 years old."

i know all about his leg injury. it's always a plausible fallback option as to why valentine never hit well.

sure it can effect overall performance and stunt growth but it's overall unlikely to a good hitter into a shitty hitter unless he shouldn't be on the field to begin with.

i mean, c'mon......he stole 21 bases in the minors in 1975 in 396 ab and almost 20 the next year in combined aaa/mlb if his leg injury was that bad no way would he still be able to have wheels like that.

you can't blame his lack of a bat on the injury and then turn around and have him do that.
    Johnny Manziel will be the 1st pick in the draft. I truly believe not only will Johnny Manziel be rookie of the year, quite possibly he will be MVP as his style will shock defensive coordinators. Manziel may only be 6 feet tall, but he has size 15 feet. And he has HUGE hands. I know some NFL scouts so I know what I am talking about.

Load Metric

i know all about his leg injury. it's always a plausible fallback option as to why valentine never hit well.

sure it can effect overall performance and stunt growth but it's overall unlikely to a good hitter into a shitty hitter unless he shouldn't be on the field to begin with.

i mean, c'mon......he stole 21 bases in the minors in 1975 in 396 ab and almost 20 the next year in combined aaa/mlb if his leg injury was that bad no way would he still be able to have wheels like that.

you can't blame his lack of a bat on the injury and then turn around and have him do that.
    He stole 11 bases total in the majors after his injury, from 74 - 79. Bill Buckner stole more bases in his last 5 years than Bobby, and anyone alive at the time knows how fucking slow and hobbled he was. He went from superstar to a fringe mlb player after the injury.

You are pretty much completely alone in your opinion. Because your opinion is wrong, and obviously so. But you are allowed it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

He stole 11 bases total in the majors after his injury, from 74 - 79. Bill Buckner stole more bases in his last 5 years than Bobby, and anyone alive at the time knows how fucking slow and hobbled he was. He went from superstar to a fringe mlb player after the injury.

You are pretty much completely alone in your opinion. Because your opinion is wrong, and obviously so. But you are allowed it.
    buckner is not part of the equation. valentine stole 21 bases in 1975 and 9 in 1976. if you want to ignore that bmg.

nobody that steals 21 bases in a season can blame a leg injury that happens 2 years previous on why he can't be an above average hitter.

he also had zero pop

Load Metric
    valentine stole 21 bases in 1975 and 9 in 1976. if you want to ignore that bmg.
    Indeed I will, because, and sorry dude if you can't grasp this, but you ain't gonna win any MLB arguments with minor league stats.

In 75 and 76, in Major League Baseball, he had a total of ONE stolen base. 1. He followed that up with none in 77, 1 in '78, and 1 in '79.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    valentine stole 21 bases in 1975 and 9 in 1976. if you want to ignore that bmg.
    Indeed I will, because, and sorry dude if you can't grasp this, but you ain't gonna win any MLB arguments with minor league stats.

In 75 and 76, in Major League Baseball, he had a total of ONE stolen base. 1. He followed that up with none in 77, 1 in '78, and 1 in '79.

yeah,...he didn't run/steal because he didn't play much. and he didn't play much because he couldn't hit for shit

Thread Information