Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can we reflect on the Olympics for a minute here?

Load Metric

Can we reflect on the Olympics for a minute here?

I can't speak for anyone, but the vibe I am getting(and how i personally feel) is that the olympics absolutely BLEW UP this year. I don't know if they were more popular globally, but I feel like in America they became a two week long superbowl. I don't even remember a single thing from the 2008 Olympics. I didn't watch a single event. During these Olympics my friends and I were practically glued to the TV for everything from water polo to BMX racing to (name a random sport that they played).

Can everyone else agree with this, or was I just clueless about how awesome the two weeks of Olympics really are? I feel like routing for your country became such an important and uniting thing during these Olympics that it was basically impossible to ignore, even for people who don't watch sports. With all of the shit that's going on in the world outside of the US, and people's eyes finally opening up to the fact that America isn't the only country in the world. I feel like people in every country took real pride in everything they did in London.

I found myself cheering for people from North Korea as well as a few other countries and feel good stories(The Blade Runner, etc.) I found this to be one of my now favorite times of year to get together with friends and cheer for people who make giant sacrifices in life for the good of the country. Of course like everything else, you have your fame whores, but for the most part a lot of these athletes are barely getting by, and putting in ridiculous hours just to represent their respective country.

Did everyone else just feel this giant wave hit them, or am I just catching up? Maybe this comes with me getting older, but I also believe the social media and regular? media had a huge impact during these events in making us care just that much more about what was going on.

Discuss.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Only God can judge me. So either LOVE ME or LEAVE ME ALONE"

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTIFIEDhomicide View Post
    I can't speak for anyone, but the vibe I am getting(and how i personally feel) is that the olympics absolutely BLEW UP this year. I don't know if they were more popular globally, but I feel like in America they became a two week long superbowl. I don't even remember a single thing from the 2008 Olympics. I didn't watch a single event. During these Olympics my friends and I were practically glued to the TV for everything from water polo to BMX racing to (name a random sport that they played).

Can everyone else agree with this, or was I just clueless about how awesome the two weeks of Olympics really are? I feel like routing for your country became such an important and uniting thing during these Olympics that it was basically impossible to ignore, even for people who don't watch sports. With all of the shit that's going on in the world outside of the US, and people's eyes finally opening up to the fact that America isn't the only country in the world. I feel like people in every country took real pride in everything they did in London.

I found myself cheering for people from North Korea as well as a few other countries and feel good stories(The Blade Runner, etc.) I found this to be one of my now favorite times of year to get together with friends and cheer for people who make giant sacrifices in life for the good of the country. Of course like everything else, you have your fame whores, but for the most part a lot of these athletes are barely getting by, and putting in ridiculous hours just to represent their respective country.

Did everyone else just feel this giant wave hit them, or am I just catching up? Maybe this comes with me getting older, but I also believe the social media and regular? media had a huge impact during these events in making us care just that much more about what was going on.

Discuss.
    The Olympics have become a giant joke. You can't watch a single event without seeing a Coke, McDonald's, Visa ad splashed everywhere. That is the very much abridged list. I even saw an article about a US sprinter who hoped to medal in his event, not because he wanted to represent his country, but because he wanted to "secure an endorsement deal with Gillette." I admire the sacrifices these athletes make, but despise what the Olympics have turned into.
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike View Post
    Vegas is there any chance I can buy you some steaks and mail them to you or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Fraud View Post
    I do believe Iraq was a huge mistake
    Why the fuck is the world (cough US) allowing these backward fuckers have nukes.

Load Metric
    i think a lot of it has to do with social media

twitter, facebook, and our current culture of oversharing has thrown it in your face 1000x more than it ever has before

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Anal_Hershiser View Post

Discuss.
    The Olympics have become a giant joke. You can't watch a single event without seeing a Coke, McDonald's, Visa ad splashed everywhere. That is the very much abridged list. I even saw an article about a US sprinter who hoped to medal in his event, not because he wanted to represent his country, but because he wanted to "secure an endorsement deal with Gillette." I admire the sacrifices these athletes make, but despise what the Olympics have turned into.

Like I said, I saw plenty of fame whores, but there are so many events where the athletes weren't out for the endorsements. Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I just didn't see it EVERYWHERE. i know what you're saying though.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Discuss.
    Are you talking about tv commercials? What do you think pays for the cost of bringing those games to you. Otherwise the Olympics goes to great lengths to keep secondary advertising out.

And for the op's point. No, every four years the Olympics is must see tv. Where ya been?
    Last edited by limitles; 08-12-2012 at 09:16 PM.

Load Metric

Like I said, I saw plenty of fame whores, but there are so many events where the athletes weren't out for the endorsements. Maybe I'm completely wrong, but I just didn't see it EVERYWHERE. i know what you're saying though.
    I'm not even talking necessarily about the athletes themselves. They go and do their thing and are entertaining to watch. But the Olympics as an organization will bend over and spread eagle to anyone who will write them a check. I've seen more coke ads in the last 2 weeks than I have in the previous 2 years. It's only gonna get worse. Basketball can be used as a microcosm of the problem. The NBA (especially Mark Cuban and David Stern) are pushing for a rule that only players 23 and younger can participate. They want to focus on the FIBA World Cup where they can make huge profits on advertising. The NBA is livid that they are risking their superstars and getting nothing in return. Sadly, the Olympics have turned into nothing but a way for rich people to make themselves richer. And if they can't get rich off of it, they are gonna do everything they can do mitigate any risks they assume when their 20 million dollar a year athlete chooses to represent his country. It's already happened in Olympic soccer.
    Vegas is there any chance I can buy you some steaks and mail them to you or something?
    Why the fuck is the world (cough US) allowing these backward fuckers have nukes.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

Are you talking about tv commercials? What do you think pays for the cost of bringing those games to you. Otherwise the Olympics goes to great lengths to keep secondary advertising out.

And for the op's point. No, every four years the Olympics are must see tv. Where ya been?

I was thinking the same thing. The IOC is really strict on making sure conformity is the norm for each athlete during the games.

As far as where I've been. I think you see it a little differently being Canadian. American's IMO at least, have always just kind of been self consumed, and not really gave a shit about the olympics. I feel like we're a society that focuses more on our pro athletes based on how much money they make and the shit they do outside of their sport.

Like I said, it could just be me, but from my personal feeling, it felt like this year more and more people actually cared and watched each story a bit more closely than they have in the past.

Load Metric
    Otherwise the Olympics goes to great lengths to keep secondary advertising out.

After that statement, I will not be responding to you any further in this thread.

Banned
    Load Metric
    My friends and I felt exactly the same way as you during the 2008 olympics, OP. Especially when Phelps was in an event, I was glued to my chair. I was furious about the 12 year old Chinese gymnasts. For brief moments I gave a shit about archery and judo and pole vaulting. That same spirit carried over this Summer.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    lol @ complaining about advertising. Do what everyone else does and change the channel when the commercials come on?

Load Metric

I'm not even talking necessarily about the athletes themselves. They go and do their thing and are entertaining to watch. But the Olympics as an organization will bend over and spread eagle to anyone who will write them a check. I've seen more coke ads in the last 2 weeks than I have in the previous 2 years. It's only gonna get worse. Basketball can be used as a microcosm of the problem. The NBA (especially Mark Cuban and David Stern) are pushing for a rule that only players 23 and younger can participate. They want to focus on the FIBA World Cup where they can make huge profits on advertising. The NBA is livid that they are risking their superstars and getting nothing in return. Sadly, the Olympics have turned into nothing but a way for rich people to make themselves richer. And if they can't get rich off of it, they are gonna do everything they can do mitigate any risks they assume when their 20 million dollar a year athlete chooses to represent his country. It's already happened in Olympic soccer.

I can't hate on the business that tries to make money and keep the product flowing(NBA). But as far as the actual Olympics, I don't know anything about "them", but I would think it costs a shit ton of money to run the games. I don't know if the host city foots the bill, or the IOC or whoever does, but a lot of money has to be made for these games to run. So, again, I can't blame them. I thought they did a really good job of making sure nobody could do anything to make themselves any more marketable than the next guy. If anything, the media is to blame for whoring some of these people out. Making yahoo front page stories about a guy who wore a 500k watch to help promote some watch makers shit. I dunno....

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    My friends and I felt exactly the same way as you during the 2008 olympics, OP. Especially when Phelps was in an event, I was glued to my chair. I was furious about the 12 year old Chinese gymnasts. For brief moments I gave a shit about archery and judo and pole vaulting. That same spirit carried over this Summer.

How old are you? Just curious, as I am 31 now, and I feel like as I grow older I just care about the direction my country is heading, and who represent us. I am also not a normal 31 year old, and am very late to the party as far as being a functional adult with a broader knowledge of how big this planet really is.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by danzo View Post
    lol @ complaining about advertising. Do what everyone else does and change the channel when the commercials come on?
    If you only saw advertising during the commercials, we didn't watch the same Olympics.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Olympics were good. Just to much volleyball and water polo and not enough track and field. I thought the Oly games lasted longer, it sucks they're over.

Load Metric

I can't hate on the business that tries to make money and keep the product flowing(NBA). But as far as the actual Olympics, I don't know anything about "them", but I would think it costs a shit ton of money to run the games. I don't know if the host city foots the bill, or the IOC or whoever does, but a lot of money has to be made for these games to run. So, again, I can't blame them. I thought they did a really good job of making sure nobody could do anything to make themselves any more marketable than the next guy. If anything, the media is to blame for whoring some of these people out. Making yahoo front page stories about a guy who wore a 500k watch to help promote some watch makers shit. I dunno....
    Any city that hosts the Olympic games can expect a shit ton of money to be pumped into their economy. Why do you think Olympic bids are so hotly contested? If money was a concern, maybe they could shitcan the ridiculous opening/closing ceremonies and focus on the games themselves.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Otherwise the Olympics goes to great lengths to keep secondary advertising out.

After that statement, I will not be responding to you any further in this thread.
    By secondary advertising I mean no advertising at sporting venues as you would see at any professional league game. The tv rights are sold and the advertisers pay the going price. That's nothing new.

Where did you see advertising other than the tv commercials?
    Last edited by limitles; 08-12-2012 at 09:35 PM.

Banned
    Load Metric

How old are you? Just curious, as I am 31 now, and I feel like as I grow older I just care about the direction my country is heading, and who represent us. I am also not a normal 31 year old, and am very late to the party as far as being a functional adult with a broader knowledge of how big this planet really is.
    I'm 26. I don't feel particularly wise or cultured, and I wouldn't describe myself as super patriotic. But what nationalism I have in me always rises to the surface during the Olympics. Hell, I even followed the World Cup avidly the last time around since we seem to have fielded a decent team. I was on the edge of my seat for both games against Canada for the last Winter Olympics hockey matches, and I don't even like hockey.

It's kind of odd, really. But I enjoy it.

Load Metric

Any city that hosts the Olympic games can expect a shit ton of money to be pumped into their economy. Why do you think Olympic bids are so hotly contested? If money was a concern, maybe they could shitcan the ridiculous opening/closing ceremonies and focus on the games themselves.

I didn't even know Olympic bids existed. I thought they just randomly picked them out of a hat, or had a committee that decided on where they would be played. My disclaimer from the start is that I have no clue about all of this, and it's genuine curiosity

Load Metric

I'm 26. I don't feel particularly wise or cultured, and I wouldn't describe myself as super patriotic. But what nationalism I have in me always rises to the surface during the Olympics. Hell, I even followed the World Cup avidly the last time around since we seem to have fielded a decent team. I was on the edge of my seat for both games against Canada for the last Winter Olympics hockey matches, and I don't even like hockey.

It's kind of odd, really. But I enjoy it.

Yeah man, the last World Cup is where it really all started for me. I was in Haiti, and at that point I found out that it was the most important thing in the world to some of the Haitians, and other people from other countries. it really made me feel like a jerkoff that I hadn't given a shit about my country for so long, and made me think twice about how important these type of world wide games really are. When I was over there, you could literally see an entire country coming together to route for something they loved. It was like when a group of friends get together for a super bowl party, except it was basically an entire country covering the streets with passion about what was going on. It was really a cool thing to experience, and totally got me hooked. You have to realize in some of these countries not ever home has a TV. Especially Haiti, so you would see thousands of people packed into a tiny space just to catch a possible glimpse of a TV, if even for just a minute. It was truly mindblowing...

Load Metric
    I didn't even know Olympic bids existed. I thought they just randomly picked them out of a hat, or had a committee that decided on where they would be played. My disclaimer from the start is that I have no clue about all of this, and it's genuine curiosity
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bids_for_Olympic_Games

"National Olympic Committees select from within their national territory cities to put forward bids to host an Olympic Games. The staging of the Paralympic Games is automatically included in the bid.[1] Since the creation of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in 1894, which successfully appropriated the name of the Ancient Greek Olympics to create a modern sporting event, interested cities have rivalled for selection as host of the Summer or Winter Olympic Games.

Currently 43 cities (including repeats) have already successfully hosted, or will host, official Summer or Winter Olympics - this is since its resurrection in 1896: one in Central America, one in South America, two have been hosted in Australia, six in East Asia, ten in North America and the rest in Europe. Currently, no Continental African, Central Asian, Middle Eastern/Western Asian, Caribbean, South East Asian, Pacific Island or South Asian city has ever been chosen to host an Olympics. Furthermore, the Winter Olympics have never been hosted south of the Equator.

Typically, the decision is made at an IOC Session approximately seven years prior to the games; for example the 2012 Summer Olympics were awarded to London on 6 July 2005, the 2014 Winter Olympics were awarded to Sochi on 4 July 2007, the 2016 Summer Olympics were awarded to Rio de Janeiro on 2 October 2009, and the 2018 Winter Olympics were awarded to Pyeongchang on 6 July 2011."

Notice how often they use the word "awarded"? It's a huge deal with tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars at stake.

Thread Information