Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "COPS" DD

Load Metric

"COPS" DD

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/09/b...33b24356e66ef1

Cops,’ Long-Running Reality Show That Glorified Police, Is Canceled

The show’s 33rd season was expected to premiere on the Paramount Network on June 15.

By Nicole Sperling
    June 9, 2020
    Updated 9:21 p.m. ET

“Cops” is no longer.

The Paramount Network confirmed on Tuesday that it had removed the reality show from its schedule, as protests nationwide call for police reform. Late last month, the network had temporarily cut the show from its schedule.

“‘Cops’ is not on the Paramount Network and we don’t have any current or future plans for it to return,” a spokeswoman for the network said.

Spike TV, the predecessor to the Paramount Network, picked up “Cops” in 2013 after the show was canceled by Fox, its network home for 25 years. The show’s 33rd season was expected to premiere on Paramount on June 15.

The death of George Floyd last month in Minneapolis has catalyzed a movement, setting off hundreds of protests and efforts to change criminal justice policy. Mr. Floyd, a black man, was held down for nearly nine minutes by a white police officer.

The civil rights group Color of Change began a campaign in 2013 urging Fox not to renew the unscripted law-enforcement show and called on advertisers to withdraw support. Since “Cops” made its debut in 1989, the group said, the network, the show’s producers and the advertisers “have built a profit model around distorted and dehumanizing portrayals of black Americans and the criminal justice system.”

The organization argued that although “Cops” was marketed as unbiased, the show “offers a highly filtered version of crime and the criminal justice system — a ‘reality’ where the police are always competent, crime-solving heroes and where the bad boys always get caught.”

The cancellation from Fox’s prime-time lineup was a small victory for Color of Change in March 2013, until Spike TV picked up the show that May. It has run on the cable network ever since.

“This is the right move and I want to give Paramount credit for being one of the first,” said Rashad Robinson, executive director of Color of Change. “We want to see more.”

He added, “These cop reality shows that glorify police but will never show the deep level of police violence are not reality, they are P.R. arms for law enforcement. Law enforcement doesn’t need P.R. They need accountability in this country.”

“Cops” has provided Paramount with subpar if stable ratings. In mid-May, the show had about 470,000 total viewers per episode, according to Nielsen data. To compare, “Pawn Stars” on the History channel had 816,000.

In 2017, “Cops” celebrated its 1,000th episode. Its first episode featured a raid on a Florida crack house. According to a 2005 report in Broadcasting & Cable, most police departments, which reserved the right to screen the video before the broadcast, said the show served as a recruiting tool.

The show has followed officers in Britain, Hong Kong, Russia and the United States.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I played the theme on my last radio show because I saw this coming. Not kidding.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Wish they would cancel that other bootlicker show, Live PD.

Shit literally gives me PTSD when I watch it, the scum bag moves they always pull.

Comments

Crowe Diddly: amen

MumblesBadly: I don’t get the PTSD but 100% agree about that POS propaganda show.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Avon Barksdale View Post

Shit literally gives me PTSD when I watch it, the scum bag moves they always pull.
    That show is insanely popular, and kinda sickening to watch, but I don;t think it'll be back, not in its current form, anyway. Good fuckin riddance.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Avon Barksdale View Post

That show is insanely popular, and kinda sickening to watch, but I don;t think it'll be back, not in its current form, anyway. Good fuckin riddance.

Amen

33 years and I never watched a single episode ...may I be struck with the ‘rona for lyin’. Even that idiot song triggers me

Good fuckin riddance.

Loved The Wire though.

Load Metric

livepd are superbootlickers compared to cops. not a bit worried about destroying evidence.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Not kidding, I was literally thinking to myself last week..."so yeah, what ever happened to that show COPS".

After pondering without looking it up, I figured it was cancelled a while ago and I forgot about even looking it up.

I hadn't watched it in ages. Long ago In the past I would put it on the tv as something "mindless" to watch while i was concentrating on other things.

Like it or not, I guess it was a good run. I gotta hand it to em that keeping a show (especially one like that) running for well over 30 years was quite an accomplishment.

Oh, and yeah..."Live PD" sucks ass imo. I watched a couple episodes in the past and it just didn't entertain me whatsoever.

Comments

Crowe Diddly: spiketv rode COPS & UFC to massive success

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordman View Post
    Like it or not, I guess it was a good run. I gotta hand it to em that keeping a show (especially one like that) running for well over 30 years was quite an accomplishment.
    It was insanely cheap to produce and the police would bend over backwards to bring them to their city. The hardest part of the whole thing was getting people to sign release forms, something that LivePD found their way around entirely, since they filmed shit in public, they figured they didn;t need the releases they couldn;t get people to sign anyway. Fuck them all to pieces.

Comments

Gordman: fuck'em

Load Metric
    Good riddance, fuck em.

True story, once when visiting California I heard an Indian guy who sounded just like Apu singing the theme song slightly wrong. "Bad boys bad boys, what you're going to do? What you're going to do when they're coming for you?"

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    everyone who is shit talking COPS is a pussy

Comments

splitthis: Sjw pussies

tony bagadonuts: pussayyyyyyyy

Load Metric
    Too many cops shows on T.V.

I always thought "Cops" was setup in advance.

Where do they find these crazy redneck meth heads?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TheXFactor View Post
    Too many cops shows on T.V.

I always thought "Cops" was setup in advance.

Where do they find these crazy redneck meth heads?

Believe me, they are not hard to find. In some cities, you can trip right over them if you're not careful.

Load Metric
    To be honest I never understood how people were okay with this. It’s terrible exploitation and propaganda anyways. Not too mention the show is pretty much trash. Only good that came from it was the x files episodes based on it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    To be honest I never understood how people were okay with this. It’s terrible exploitation and propaganda anyways. Not too mention the show is pretty much trash. Only good that came from it was the x files episodes based on it.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Is Brooklyn Nine-Nine next on the cancellation list?

Load Metric
    May I suggest you just don’t watch it if you don’t care for it?

Comments

splitthis: Omg personal choices how dare

Load Metric
    Live PD was just shitcanned, too.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/live-pd...yd-1202956175/

Load Metric
    I never understood the appeal to that show. Once and a while I would be channel surfing and watch a segment. The worst part was that the officers had to make stops if they wanted camera time so many times it was over something frivolous and almost forced. It was like they were hoping it would escalate when their job is to de-escalate shit. Glad we don’t have to hear Dan Abrams ever say “We are going to move away from Dallas where the officer is hassling someone over bullshit to New Orleans where the officer is hassling someone over bullshit” again.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

Amen

33 years and I never watched a single episode ...may I be struck with the ‘rona for lyin’. Even that idiot song triggers me

Good fuckin riddance.

Loved The Wire though.
    Referring to this show is a perfect example of how I used to think like Druff. Because I was younger, from about my late teens to my early 40s, I used to love shows like COPS. And in the middle 2000s, my favorite TV show was The Shield. Until a year or so after it ended, when it started to dawn on me: The “bad guys” in that show was the system that allowed the corrupt and overly ambitious cops to get away with all kinds of crimes. Michael Chiklis character “Vic Mackey” and his crew weren’t anti-heros. They were the bad guys! Just fucking stunned me how I had missed that all those years of watching and enjoying that show. Now, just thinking about it makes me want to vomit.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Thread Information