Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doyle tells Chinamaniac on Twitter that he has won 64 of 65 years in poker

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Doyle tells Chinamaniac on Twitter that he has won 64 of 65 years in poker

https://twitter.com/TexDolly/status/1263280827644776448

I don't believe him, though props to him I guess for admitting he lost $6 million in his one losing year.

I have to imagine Doyle has had more than one losing year since he got older, even if he doesn't want to admit it to himself.

Load Metric
    It's wild to think that he's able to keep up with all of the new games, styles of play etc.

Agree, very unlikely but would be amazing if true.

I had always consumed aspects of the Doyle Brunson legend with skepticism.

Does he still play high stakes?
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

I don't believe him, though props to him I guess for admitting he lost $6 million in his one losing year.

I have to imagine Doyle has had more than one losing year since he got older, even if he doesn't want to admit it to himself.
    Can't have too many at those stakes or you'd go broke. Unless he's backed in some way.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    I believe him...

He started out as a traveling hustler, he is not going to be playing bad games. He learned early on to play in good games.

Fame means that he gets to play with rich suckers who don't mind giving away money. As long as he is using some common sense and game selecting, he will be a big winner playing rich businessmen. I am sure that there is a "private game" invite open to him whenever he wants it.

Depending on how he counts "poker winnings" he might also be including sponsorships/buyins/etc. This is not unreasonable for a poker celebrity who doesn't have to - and should't - be playing "real games". He can be freerolling every tournament he enters for wearing a patch, and probably has.

Load Metric

Agree,Don’t believe he is still beating the games, A while back it seemed they were building the game around Doyle, I remember some small back and forth on Twitter Maybe 3 months ago when Doyle was crying “ You want to see all the empty rubber bands in my box” In other words saying he had been getting crushed
    -Allergic to the struggle

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    It's hard to even think at quite the same level when you're that age. Let's even put aside the whole "keeping up with the game" thing, which is a whole different matter. Just the aging by itself makes you a bit less sharp, even if you aren't showing any signs of senility yet.

This is why the Super Seniors (60+, formerly 65+) event at the WSOP is so good. It's not that old people are naturally bad at poker, it's that their mind no longer works as quickly, and they also get physically and mentally fatigued more easily. The event isn't quite as good since they lowered the minimum age to 60 (many 60-year-olds think just as well as they did when they were 40), but it's still the softest event at the WSOP by far.

The Seniors (50+) is also good, but for a different reason. That's more due to the absence of the good younger players, and also because it's generally a recreational-player-heavy field. (The rec factor is also why the Main Event is good, despite the heavy presence of top players as well.)

Anyway, while I believe earlier Doyle never had a losing year, in the past 15 years I'd be surprised if he's booking a win every single year except one.

Load Metric
    Doyle has plenty of money. It wasn't that long ago that out of nowhere Todd was playing Beal in Bobby's room again with only Doyle watching who I'd have to guess had half or more of Todd. Heard Todd won 5 million. Regardless, he had to of made so much of his site his grand kids will never need to work.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4BET View Post

Agree,Don’t believe he is still beating the games, A while back it seemed they were building the game around Doyle, I remember some small back and forth on Twitter Maybe 3 months ago when Doyle was crying “ You want to see all the empty rubber bands in my box” In other words saying he had been getting crushed
    Who knows if he really is still winning, obv he needs to make the world believe he is to continue the legend of Doyle Brunson.

Here's what he said two years ago to Poker Central in 2018 after "retiring" from the World Series that year:

“At this point, my mind is still at 80-90% of where it once was. I enjoy poker and I still win, and that’s my barometer. I still feel great, I feel like I’m 30 years old, except for my body. My body is breaking down, which I guess is normal, and it would be nice to win another bracelet. I don’t have many more opportunities, and in fact, this might be might be my last tournament ever.”

https://www.pokercentral.com/article...nt-from-poker/

It doesn't sound farfetched that he could still be winning.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    If his mind is 80-90% of where it once was (which is probably a high estimate, because people tend to overestimate how sharp they still are when they get older), that's a big problem when you're in those really tough nosebleed stakes games. You really need to be at 100%.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post
    Doyle has plenty of money. It wasn't that long ago that out of nowhere Todd was playing Beal in Bobby's room again with only Doyle watching who I'd have to guess had half or more of Todd. Heard Todd won 5 million. Regardless, he had to of made so much of his site his grand kids will never need to work.
    I don’t think Doyle ever has to worry about going busted at his age, As you said he has plenty of money but up for debate is he still winning? He is playing with the young guns, Nick, Scott and many other very good players, I am not trying to knock Doyle, At his age just sitting at the table is big win, I would put odds at 100% he is not beating the regs in Bobby’s room

Load Metric
    Druff would you play him heads up for a million?

Load Metric
    If he just views a winning year as a profitable year of having pieces of current winners and some book residuals and it’s all just a poker year to him, maybe. Still doubtful, but having a bankroll as big as his would allow you to back some serious winners. Not simply his sessions, but having more $ at end of year is a winning year regardless of where it comes from.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BUBBLES View Post
    No limit, that would be foolish. Heads up in limit hold’em, without a rake, Druff would definitely show a profit.

Silver
    Load Metric
    He never appears to be playing the super high PLO or NL games - seems it's mixed games only with stud?

I have no other info just going by the videos posted by Gus, etc online in Bobby's room. Also the few times I was around Bobby's room he was always in some mixed limit games...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BUBBLES View Post
    Not for a million because that's too much money to risk.

I would play him heads up limit holdem for a more reasonable amount of money, yes. I've actually worked a lot on my heads up LHE game a lot in the last few years, and have gotten much better than I used to be.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Saw him at the Bellagio last March. I gotta say I’m surprised he’s still alive. He was slouched Over leaning on the table, looked like he would need help to stand up. Body looks extremely unhealthy.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    This actually makes me think he is winning even more.

Every good hustler complains about getting crushed and losing money and how you need to give them an edge so that they can play you. To start games and to play games, you don't want to advertise your skill. You want your opponents to think they are getting the best of you.

Load Metric
    Negreanu has mentioned several times on his podcast that when he plays mixed cash games Doyle is constantly fucking up by playing the wrong game.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by apwiz View Post
    This actually makes me think he is winning even more.

Every good hustler complains about getting crushed and losing money and how you need to give them an edge so that they can play you. To start games and to play games, you don't want to advertise your skill. You want your opponents to think they are getting the best of you.
    You make some good points in general but we are talking about Doyle here, His hustler days have long passed

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellafriend View Post
    The internet says that Doyle Brunson has a net worth of $75 million, somehow I believe it's far less.

Ten years ago, the poker player refused a major offer for $230,000,000 for an online room that was named after him - DoylesRoom.com. According to Branson, he and his partners abandoned the deal, deciding that the price of the site is much higher than the proposed price. However, after the Law on Responsibility for Illegal Internet Gambling (UIGEA) in 2006, the online room stopped making profits. In 2011, after Black Friday, which also hit Brunson's pocket, he and his partners sold the site for an unknown sum.

Thread Information