Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two very different Rage Against the Machine concert videos

Load Metric

Two very different Rage Against the Machine concert videos

Amazingly, RATM's first performance was taped and found its way onto Youtube.

They apparently hadn't written lyrics to Killing In The Name yet. There are only 8 lines in that entire song.

Compare that crowd to this one, 19 years later. Jump to 2:05. I can't seem to embed the time code.

Load Metric
    you got scooped b

http://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/sho...bums-1996-2011

but def deserves it's own thread

Banned
    Load Metric
    If I had to choose one of the three worst bands in rock history, KoRn, Insane Clown Posse or Rage Against The Machine, it would be Rage Against The Machine.

Painfully awful sound, sophomoric lyrics and less instrumental skill than The Monkees.

Shamefully poor 'Happy Meal Generation' band.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SixToedPete View Post
    If I had to choose one of the three worst bands in rock history, KoRn, Insane Clown Posse or Rage Against The Machine, it would be Rage Against The Machine.

Painfully awful sound, sophomoric lyrics and less instrumental skill than The Monkees.

love or hate ratm all you want, but this is an absolutely ignorant statement

their guitarist, drummer, and bass player are all really good at what they do

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post

Regardless of whether you like them or not those are two horrific videos, both acoustically and visually speaking.......

Deserving it's own thread?..... yeah whatever, but the band reached a level of importance that could be described as average

Banned
    Load Metric

I spoke the truth.

However, you're correct in that the Rage Against The Machine band members are really good at convincing idiots like you that they produce great rock music.

They don't.

Load Metric
    you have to skip to the 6:00 minute mark

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    If you want an excellent live performance look no further

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Are you kidding, Rage Against the Machine and Phish....we are talking c-listers or slightly above.....that's it

Load Metric
    you got scooped b

http://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/sho...bums-1996-2011

but def deserves it's own thread
    Actually DRK posted this like a year ago on Boris but whatever.
    "You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole; you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Load Metric
    Good OP. Cool contrast of the two videos. The rest of the rubbish in this thread is just that.

Their debut album, Rage Against The Machine, not only kicks ass, but was groundbreaking.

Load Metric
    Here is a track that hopefully can bring peace and common ground.

Quote Originally Posted by RealTalk View Post
    Lol at the amount of effort that druff's friends have to exert trying to do an internet podcast without offending him.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I cleaned up the thread and gave the fight/debate its own thread.

Carry on.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandwich View Post
    Good OP. Cool contrast of the two videos. The rest of the rubbish in this thread is just that.

Their debut album, Rage Against The Machine, not only kicks ass, but was groundbreaking.
    Apparently it's been de-rubbished. Thanks, Todd.

In late 1992, the charts were dominated by weak ass R&B like Boys II Men and TLC. Nevermind came out a year earlier, and basically killed the last of the hair bands. RAtM showed that they would be replaced by more than "alternative" rock.
    Last edited by DirtyB; 08-12-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandwich View Post

Apparently it's been de-rubbished. Thanks, Todd.

In late 1992, the charts were dominated by weak ass R&B like Boys II Men and TLC. Nevermind came out a year earlier, and basically killed the last of the hair bands. RAtM showed that they would be replaced by more than "alternative" rock.

Notice in the first video that Killing in the Name is done as an instrumental warmup. They must have written lyrics for it shortly before the album was recording. I learned recently that if you don't count the "yeah, come on"s and "motherfucker", there are only 7 different lines in that song. That album's liner notes list the lyrics for every song besides that one.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/ragea...inthename.html
    I'm probably in the minority here, but I actually liked a lot of the hair bands, and was sad to see them smacked out of existence by Nirvana. (I will admit that there were some really terrible ones, though -- as often lampooned on Beavis and Butthead.)

I do agree that those early '90s R&B bands were terrible.

I also hated how rap pretty much dominated the top 40 around 1990, to where rap was even incorporated to some degree into some non-rap songs.

The grunge revolution of 1991 pretty much killed that, too, and resulted in the rise of the weak R&B bands you're referring to.

I was never a fan of Nirvana or grunge, though I do admit that Kurt Cobain was very talented and single-handedly changed popular music in that era. There's no telling what he would have done if he hadn't killed himself.

Load Metric

RATM has always been one of my favorite bands since they showed the ability to fuse funk and hard rock without making it sound corny as hell.

Sixtoedpete that quote above ranks as one of the dumbest things i've ever read in 2012. I dont frequent these forums that often, but I looked at some of your previous posts and it quickly becomes apparent that you are simply a dimwit at best. Just admit you dont like RATM because their message is anti-corporate and leftist in nature. Your obviously a right-wing nut racist/facist scum of the earth faggot who lives in an alternative dimension.

ALSO CAN I GIVE A SHOUTOUT TO BAD BRAINS/ SICK BAND I JUST DISCOVERED IM ONLY 19 SO GIMME A BREAK

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I also hated how rap pretty much dominated the top 40 around 1990, to where rap was even incorporated to some degree into some non-rap songs.
    Huh?

I picked a random week in the middle of 1990.

http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-...ate=1990-07-10

1) New Kids on the Block
    2) Roxette
    3) Some guy featuring Bobby Brown
    4) Bell Biv Devoe
    5) En Vogue
    6) Phil Collins
    7) Taylor Dayne
    8) Billy Idol
    9) Wilson Phillips
    10) Johnny Gill

That was also the year that MC Hammer was big. So there was technically some hip hop on the charts. But I would say that the first real, modern rap album to really hit the top 40 charts was The Chronic in late 1992.

It's interesting that all 5 members of New Edition were on that week's chart.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Krypt View Post

ALSO CAN I GIVE A SHOUTOUT TO BAD BRAINS/ SICK BAND I JUST DISCOVERED IM ONLY 19 SO GIMME A BREAK
    I'm impressed that any 19 year old listens to Bad Brains. They were so amazing and unique.

The Beastie Boys took that name so they would be BB, like Bad Brains.

Load Metric
    Here's a serious question: Since when did good music become a fact, and not a matter of opinion?

Who the fuck is anyone to tell anyone what is "good" and what's not?

Not referring to the OP or anything, just a general question I have from the comments in this thread
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Only God can judge me. So either LOVE ME or LEAVE ME ALONE"

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTIFIEDhomicide View Post
    Here's a serious question: Since when did good music become a fact, and not a matter of opinion?

Who the fuck is anyone to tell anyone what is "good" and what's not?

Not referring to the OP or anything, just a general question I have from the comments in this thread
    Music is of course subjective. Logical comparisons can be done based on the perceived talent of the artist and their impact on music in general.

Then there are issues of genre. You could point me towards the most talented, most influential country music star ever, and I wouldn't really like any of their songs. Similarly, I respect Jazz as a genre, but I never actually listen to Jazz music.

Thread Information