Thread: Oh wow weird the conservative man-children who sued Google for discrimination just bailed on their law suit

Load Metric

Oh wow weird the conservative man-children who sued Google for discrimination just bailed on their law suit

its as if conservatives are looking for nothing but a free hand out and the attention their parents never gave them.

spoiler alert:

they go to bed with neither, because they deserve neither.

"Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    fkin douchebags

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    its as if conservatives are looking for nothing but a free hand out and the attention their parents never gave them.

spoiler alert:

they go to bed with neither, because they deserve neither.

Against my better judgment I went to sonatine's site.com.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    you're welcome.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Apparently Google was part of the letter to dismiss the case too, and there is apparently a confidentiality agreement also, which means there was probably a settlement. Strange how you didn't notice that part of it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Apparently Google was part of the letter to dismiss the case too, and there is apparently a confidentiality agreement also, which means there was probably a settlement. Strange how you didn't notice that part of it.
    On this occasion, I will respectfully avoid using my pet name for you in my reply here because...

.... (Drumroll)....

the Mumbles agrees with you.

In fact, the outcome of this case ending in a settlement was pretty much a foregone conclusion given that Damore agreed to take his case to arbitration in Fall 2018.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/10/...r-arbitration/

The hilarious thing about that decision is that Damore was pretty much forced into accepting arbitration because of a Supreme Court ruling earlier that year that kinda gutted the ability for employees to sue employers in a class action lawsuit when they had previously agreed in writing to address workplace grievances using arbitration.

Oh, wait! I forgot to highlight the “hilarious” part: That SCOTUS decision was written and voted for by only the *conservative* justices on the bench.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/21/b...contracts.html

I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post
    On this occasion, I will respectfully avoid using my pet name for you in my reply here because...

.... (Drumroll)....

the Mumbles agrees with you.

In fact, the outcome of this case ending in a settlement was pretty much a foregone conclusion given that Damore agreed to take his case to arbitration in Fall 2018.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/10/...r-arbitration/

The hilarious thing about that decision is that Damore was pretty much forced into accepting arbitration because of a Supreme Court ruling earlier that year that kinda gutted the ability for employees to sue employers in a class action lawsuit when they had previously agreed in writing to address workplace grievances using arbitration.

Oh, wait! I forgot to highlight the “hilarious” part: That SCOTUS decision was written and voted for by only the *conservative* justices on the bench.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/21/b...contracts.html

He didn't agree to anything. He was forced into arbitration due to tort reform. Anybody who wants to know how "tort reform" works should watch this:

It's scary that some of this can happen.

Comments

sonatine: as a favor to those of us with mumbles on ignore, we politely request you dont quote him
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    A lot of complex issues at play here, and Damore wasn't completely innocent.

He sent out a controversial memo to multiple people in the company, despite knowing it would get a bad reaction and cause controversy in the office. Clearly the internal memo system shouldn't be used to rile people up, even if you have a legitimate gripe about the company culture.

He also has a history of lying, unrelated to this. He claimed on Linkedin to be a PhD when he really only had an MS. He claimed to have attained a ranking in chess which he didn't actually reach.

The dude definitely has issues, and signed his own death warrant at Google by his own actions.

But did his actions also expose the fact that Google is an ideologically hostile workplace where diversity of political opinion isn't tolerated? Yes.

Did his actions expose the fact that they're mishandling gender issues and often acting nonsensically, in an attempt to appear sensitive and woke? Yes.

Is it a big problem that the most influential information/media company in the world is openly hostile to conservatives, and won't let them rise up in the ranks, even if they're fantastic at their jobs otherwise? Yes.

Very sad that sonatine is all for fascist censorship of ideas and expression if it's the other side's ideas being censored.

"B-b-b-b-but they're a private company."

Sure. Very healthy for our democracy to have the largest media company driven partially by political ideology. No chance that ends badly, right?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Remember this response from a Google manager to Damore's criticism of censorship of conservatives at the company?

Part of building an open, inclusive environment means fostering a culture in which those with alternative views, including different political views, feel safe sharing their opinions. But that discourse needs to work alongside the principles of equal employment found in our Code of Conduct, policies, and anti-discrimination laws.
    Translation: You can share your opinions, but if we don't agree with them, we will brand it as "discrimination" and take action against you.

Tight policy.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Don't have much of an opinion about his firing and subsequent lawsuit. There's a lot of complex legal at play there which are a whole different matter, and as I mentioned, his firing wasn't all that outrageous. He chose to knowingly piss everyone off by sending that memo to multiple people.

Load Metric

He sent out a controversial memo to multiple people in the company, despite knowing it would get a bad reaction and cause controversy in the office. Clearly the internal memo system shouldn't be used to rile people up, even if you have a legitimate gripe about the company culture.

He also has a history of lying, unrelated to this. He claimed on Linkedin to be a PhD when he really only had an MS. He claimed to have attained a ranking in chess which he didn't actually reach.

The dude definitely has issues, and signed his own death warrant at Google by his own actions.

But did his actions also expose the fact that Google is an ideologically hostile workplace where diversity of political opinion isn't tolerated? Yes.

Did his actions expose the fact that they're mishandling gender issues and often acting nonsensically, in an attempt to appear sensitive and woke? Yes.

Is it a big problem that the most influential information/media company in the world is openly hostile to conservatives, and won't let them rise up in the ranks, even if they're fantastic at their jobs otherwise? Yes.

Very sad that sonatine is all for fascist censorship of ideas and expression if it's the other side's ideas being censored.

Sure. Very healthy for our democracy to have the largest media company driven partially by political ideology. No chance that ends badly, right?
    I tend to agree with you here. But conservatives made this bed with all of their lawsuits looking for loopholes and now they have to lie in it. I don't want to bake a wedding cake for gay people. Ok, the Supreme Court says you don't have to. I don't want to pay for my employees to have contraceptive coverage even though the ACA says it's mandatory. Ok, the Supreme Court says you don't have to. You can't have it both ways.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post

I tend to agree with you here. But conservatives made this bed with all of their lawsuits looking for loopholes and now they have to lie in it. I don't want to bake a wedding cake for gay people. Ok, the Supreme Court says you don't have to. I don't want to have to prove my employees with contraceptive coverage even though the ACA says it's mandatory. Ok, the Supreme Court says you don't have to. You can't have it both ways.
    I see this as different, though, because it's a major media company with massive control of what information and videos the public gets to see.

If Joe's Waffle House wants to only employ liberals and fires Republicans, fine. I think that's dumb and wouldn't eat there if I heard it was happening, but I feel they should have the right to do that.

However, major media/information companies need to be held to a different standard. I'm not sure what the exact solution is, but I can say for certain that it's not good for a company like Google to have a political ideological bias.

If they fired him simply for being controversial in a company-wide memo, that's fine. Fire the troublemakers, I'm okay with that.

But if a company like Google is openly hostile to conservatives, that's a big problem.

Load Metric

I tend to agree with you here. But conservatives made this bed with all of their lawsuits looking for loopholes and now they have to lie in it. I don't want to bake a wedding cake for gay people. Ok, the Supreme Court says you don't have to. I don't want to have to prove my employees with contraceptive coverage even though the ACA says it's mandatory. Ok, the Supreme Court says you don't have to. You can't have it both ways.
    I see this as different, though, because it's a major media company with massive control of what information and videos the public gets to see.

If Joe's Waffle House wants to only employ liberals and fires Republicans, fine. I think that's dumb and wouldn't eat there if I heard it was happening, but I feel they should have the right to do that.

However, major media/information companies need to be held to a different standard. I'm not sure what the exact solution is, but I can say for certain that it's not good for a company like Google to have a political ideological bias.

If they fired him simply for being controversial in a company-wide memo, that's fine. Fire the troublemakers, I'm okay with that.

But if a company like Google is openly hostile to conservatives, that's a big problem.
    So found conservative Google.

Or regulate it like a public utility--but that would include net neutrality by definition.

Health care is incredibly important. Maybe not as important as the free flow of information, but very important. And we have a system right now where if you work for a business owned by religious conservatives, they can deny you some kinds of health care that you're otherwise entitled to by law. If they can impose their "values" on their employees, so can any business.
    Last edited by Walter Sobchak; 05-10-2020 at 09:50 PM.

Load Metric

I generally agree with you, but I doubt it’s a sound legal argument. That shit isn’t important and this is important doesn’t strike me as a winner unless you go the full monty and get into monopolies and subjects google is literally lobbied to the moon to fight.

Plus I don’t think it’s a fight conservative legal circles want to win given it could be used against them and private company rights are in their 10 commandments as far as importance.

I think if there existed such a thing as an official board of conservative legal thought, they’d convene and sit this guy down and tell him they feel for him, but he went into tech, to take the L for the team, and that his battle isn’t one they want to win. They’d hook him up working as head of some tech department for Cracker Barrel or Chik Fil A if he’s talented enough to work for Google.

There are just certain fields you have to know where you work. My most politically involved liberal buddy got hired into medical sales by a company in Las Vegas straight out of teaching. Literally all his bosses were Mormons, that whole field is conservative as they aren’t exactly interested in hearing about single payer healthcare, and his company clearly went for wholesome stable white family guy considering all the Mormon bosses.

My buddy is 6’2, blond-haired, blue eyed, he basically looked like a poster Hitler hung on buildings for his ideal race shit. He had two kids- boy and girl, with a stay at home wife in Las Vegas. Minivan. He never once placed a bet on anything the 15 years he lived there because he grew up broke and getting everything shut off every other month with an addicted gambler mom. She was addicted to bingo. For real. 1k a week bingo habit. Eventually she morphed into slots and stuff as they became more prevalent. But his youth was ruined by bingo. Church bingo. He hates religion more than anyone I know, yet looks like central casting for a Mormon or conservative guy.

I guarantee whomever hired him was absolutely convinced they were likely hiring a Mormon because he looks like almost all of them, or at minimum, some church going whitebread conservative. I’m sure it was the first as everyone just assumed he was a Mormon in Las Vegas. After people would know him awhile, they’d confide in him they just always assumed he was Mormon.

He’s been in that field now 20 years and I’d guess maybe 3 people have ever known his politics. He would never talk it. Fuck a company memo, he doesn’t put in on Facebook even though he’s very politically involved. He’s the most left person I know ideologically. He simply knows what field he works in and would find it an idiotic fight to provoke. It would straight up hurt him at almost every company he’s worked at. He wouldn’t think of it. He’d view it as immature. A job isn’t a place to make a political statement.

He just kills it for the companies he’s worked for and minds his own business and makes excellent money. He’s not in Vegas anymore. He’s back this way. Doesn’t matter. Maybe it might be a little different in California, but pretty much not anywhere he’s ever lived.

Google is your dream job most likely if that’s your choice of profession. Life isn’t fair. Shut up and take their money and do a good job. You aren’t going to shift tech to the right and be some Rosa Parks.
    Fair or not.

Comments

Walter Sobchak: thank you

Dan Druff: interesting

Rick Sanchez:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I enjoy these BCR "guys I know" stories. Always really interesting, and he writes them very well. Being serious here, not sarcastic at all.

I actually agree with the sentiment you're expressing. If I got a job at Google, I would keep my mouth shut about politics. I wouldn't feign being on the left, but I wouldn't disagree with any opinions expressed there, no matter how much I actually opposed them.

I have a friend who works in Silicon Valley. He's a conservative. He keeps it very quiet. Over time, he figured out who the few other conservatives were, and quietly identified his politics to them. They all know to keep quiet. It's like a secret society.

I told him, "This must be how gay people felt in the workplace in the '80s."

He said, "Yeah, totally. But if I were gay in this company today, that would be a positive!"

We talked about how sad it is that Silicon Valley conservatives are really at an "in the closet" point in the workplace. I wasn't joking when I said it was like being gay in the '80s and how it could hurt your career if it were found out. While it's good that gay people no longer have to hide their true lifestyle, it's bothersome that a new type of intolerance has replaced it.

Load Metric
    I enjoy these BCR "guys I know" stories. Always really interesting, and he writes them very well. Being serious here, not sarcastic at all.

I actually agree with the sentiment you're expressing. If I got a job at Google, I would keep my mouth shut about politics. I wouldn't feign being on the left, but I wouldn't disagree with any opinions expressed there, no matter how much I actually opposed them.

I have a friend who works in Silicon Valley. He's a conservative. He keeps it very quiet. Over time, he figured out who the few other conservatives were, and quietly identified his politics to them. They all know to keep quiet. It's like a secret society.

I told him, "This must be how gay people felt in the workplace in the '80s."

He said, "Yeah, totally. But if I were gay in this company today, that would be a positive!"

We talked about how sad it is that Silicon Valley conservatives are really at an "in the closet" point in the workplace. I wasn't joking when I said it was like being gay in the '80s and how it could hurt your career if it were found out. While it's good that gay people no longer have to hide their true lifestyle, it's bothersome that a new type of intolerance has replaced it.
    Everybody is too fucking sensitive, that's part of the problem.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Damore seems to have a fair degree of Aspergers in him. I have heard him a couple times on various podcasts and this only reinforces that observation. That probably played a strong part in his inability, or unwillingness, to "read the room" and keep his mouth shut.

Of course it is ironic that the woke left, as personified by Google, that is supposedly all about diversity and inclusiveness, is clearly willing to persecute an individual with non-typical neurology if they step out of line.

I don't know if you read the actual lawsuit, but I remember there was amusing anecdotes in it. Like they used to have management meetings where managers were praised for hiring minorities (non Asian) or women and chastised if they didn't. And in one of the meetings a sales manager got commended for making a lot of female/minority hires, and all the software managers were like WTF, as obviously finding minorities competent in IT is a lot tougher than finding ones that can do sales.

Load Metric

Vern

You seem to be a smart guy and do good for yourself. I have 1 ?

Y do you gamble on sports? You are one of the worst cappers I ever seen and I am in that equation!

My guess is growing up you were the kid that was spit on and hit with shit from the jocks. No other explanation.

Druffs the same way.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by badguy23 View Post

Vern

You seem to be a smart guy and do good for yourself. I have 1 ?

Y do you gamble on sports? You are one of the worst cappers I ever seen and I am in that equation!

My guess is growing up you were the kid that was spit on and hit with shit from the jocks. No other explanation.

Druffs the same way.
    I wasn't a jock growing up but I wasn't bad at sports either. Overall I was about average compared to the other kids. The jocks didn't bother me, either. I didn't have a problem with them.

Bad read.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Damore seems to have a fair degree of Aspergers in him. I have heard him a couple times on various podcasts and this only reinforces that observation. That probably played a strong part in his inability, or unwillingness, to "read the room" and keep his mouth shut.

Of course it is ironic that the woke left, as personified by Google, that is supposedly all about diversity and inclusiveness, is clearly willing to persecute an individual with non-typical neurology if they step out of line.

I don't know if you read the actual lawsuit, but I remember there was amusing anecdotes in it. Like they used to have management meetings where managers were praised for hiring minorities (non Asian) or women and chastised if they didn't. And in one of the meetings a sales manager got commended for making a lot of female/minority hires, and all the software managers were like WTF, as obviously finding minorities competent in IT is a lot tougher than finding ones that can do sales.
    Google is one of the many Silicon Valley firms which has actual cases of racism and sexism going on at the company, but instead of tackling the actual problem, they overcorrect in the form of ridiculous hiring quotas (both by race and gender), thought policing, and overt expressions of supposed wokeness.

This is why they're the subject of complaints from both sides. The SJW types bitch about how women and minorities are sometimes treated poorly there by people who are clever enough to do it in a way not to get in trouble for it. At the same time, the right complains about the ridiculous hiring quotas and intolerance for people with conservative political thought.

It's kinda like the male feminist who can't stop talking about how evil men are and how oppressed women have been, and then he treats his girlfriend like shit behind closed doors.

Thread Information