Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's going to be all right in 2020.... because we're saved by the bell

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

It's going to be all right in 2020.... because we're saved by the bell

Yes, this is actually getting a reboot.

Somehow Elizabeth Berkley never found success after taking off her clothes in Showgirls, and Mario Lopez is tired of being known as "that always smiling guy on Extra".

So they're in it, too.

This doesn't look nearly as charming as the original:

Comments

FRANKRIZZO: couldn't compare to the facts of life and different strokes off course

Load Metric
    Let’s be honest the original was horrible. I think we all watched it cause we had nothing better to do when we got home from school. Tv was pretty bad in the 90s compared to now. They’ve already failed with the new class and college years. Nobody wants this. On top of it it looks like a limited cast.

Degrassi is a perfect example of how to adapt with the times and deal with pertinent teen issues. Saved by the bell was terrible show and the world is better off for its failure. There I said it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    Let’s be honest the original was horrible. I think we all watched it cause we had nothing better to do when we got home from school. Tv was pretty bad in the 90s compared to now. They’ve already failed with the new class and college years. Nobody wants this. On top of it it looks like a limited cast.

Degrassi is a perfect example of how to adapt with the times and deal with pertinent teen issues. Saved by the bell was terrible show and the world is better off for its failure. There I said it.
    Saved the Bell didn't fail. It was very successful, hence the reason it's being rebooted. Many people look back upon it fondly.

Was it sophisticated, must-see viewing? Obviously not. But as I wrote last year when the creator died, "Its simplicity, upbeat tone, and colorful late-1980s visuals made the show very likable. Even if you wanted to hate it, you found it difficult to do so after viewing a few episodes. Despite taking place in what is supposed to be a wealthy seaside southern California city, the show was unpretentious and easy to relate to, especially for young people at the time."

"The College Years" and "The New Class", on the other hand, were abominations and completely unwatchable.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Saved by the Bell was the show with my first male celebrity crush. I used to have a poster with Zach and Kelly on my wall and while I thought Kelly was hot, I had it on my wall for Zach. I think he was my first twink I ever had a crush on besides 1 or 2 classmates in middle school.

And BetCheckBet, you are wrong. They dealt with serious topics like drug addiction as well as child abuse and domestic violence. Do not dare besmirch the good name of SBTB.

Also, if you check out what the "youth" as Druff puts it, is wearing these days, it looks like it was picked right out of this shows wardrobe. From the sneakers to the shirts it is all in style now.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by OSA View Post
    Saved by the Bell was the show with my first male celebrity crush. I used to have a poster with Zach and Kelly on my wall and while I thought Kelly was hot, I had it on my wall for Zach. I think he was my first twink I ever had a crush on besides 1 or 2 classmates in middle school.

And BetCheckBet, you are wrong. They dealt with serious topics like drug addiction as well as child abuse and domestic violence. Do not dare besmirch the good name of SBTB.

Also, if you check out what the "youth" as Druff puts it, is wearing these days, it looks like it was picked right out of this shows wardrobe. From the sneakers to the shirts it is all in style now.
    I've probably watched every saved by the bell twice, I spent way too much time watching TBS growing up (including james bond marathons). Yes Saved by the bell did serious topics but it was absolutely horrible when they did.

Kelly was hot as fuck. Jessie was still great in showgirls. I didn;t knwo Zach qualified as a twink.

Funny or die has amazing recaps of these shows. Bonus below.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    Funny recap, especially the highly inappropriate laugh track as the pedo bike shop owner tries to molest Arnold and Dudley.

Not sure how old you are, but this particular "Very Special Episode" actually brought tremendous awareness to the public regarding warning signs to look for regarding pedophiles.

Prior to its airing in early 1983 (which I saw first run, as Diff'rent Strokes was my favorite show at the time), people were aware of pedos, but really were kinda ignorant regarding how they hide in plain sight. When a "really nice man" wanted to spend a lot of time with young boys, it was assumed that he was just generous with his time, or perhaps wished he had children of his own. It didn't occur to most people in those days that grown men going through great lengths to spend time alone with children (unrelated to them) are almost always doing it for evil reasons. The episode got a lot of media attention after it aired, and thus started an awakening in the mid-80s regarding the intentions of "nice" guys like that.

This episode was so accurate that I almost found myself in an identical situation as Arnold -- also in 1983. My soccer coach -- a really "nice guy" who had no children, took in a foster child, and coached his soccer team -- turned out to not be so nice. He was a skate shop owner -- amazingly similar to the bike shop situation in the TV show! I was on that soccer team, and he asked for volunteers to come work in the shop. Being interested in skateboarding at the time, I thought that sounded so cool, but I was slow to react and raise my hand, and he picked two other kids before I realized what was going on. I'm not sure why I didn't make the connection to the Bike Shop episode I had just seen earlier that year. Never suspected for a moment that the guy was up to no good. I told my mom about what had happened, and she lectured me about how I "blew an opportunity by not paying attention".

Well, I blew an opportunity all right. He molested those two boys, and several others in the city. He was arrested just after our soccer season ended. I was never alone with him, so I was never in any danger, but I almost was, and was just 11 at the time. The LOL justice system let him out of prison after 8 years, and then he moved to San Diego and started a "boys swimsuit" clothing line, and hired "models" for it. I'm sure you know how that turned out. The exact number of boys he molested was never known, but it was estimated that it could have been as many as 100, over an 8-year-period. He was finally arrested in 2000 or early 2001, and was sentenced to life in prison. He's attempted to get the decision overturned several times, but has been unsuccessful. He's still alive and is around 70.

I know I've told this story before, but whenever I see that Diffr'rent Strokes episode, I realize just how accurate it really was.

Comments

BetCheckBet: slightly too young, i barely remember perfect strangers

Kuntmissioner: I also remember the night it aired; nine year old me crushed hard on Dana Plato

FRANKRIZZO: what chu talking about willis

Diamond
    Load Metric
    But the profile, in recent years, is guys preying on vulnerable children, i.e. not being paid attention to or come from homes where there's a bit of dysfunction

Arnold's character was neither of those though.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    But the profile, in recent years, is guys preying on vulnerable children, i.e. not being paid attention to or come from homes where there's a bit of dysfunction

Arnold's character was neither of those though.
    Often yes, but the key is access.

The pedos find a way to get the parents' trust AND the kids' trust, lavish them with attention and gifts, and then do their dirty deeds. It's true that neglected children are more vulnerable, but it happens in more "normal" families as well.

This was especially true in the early-mid '80s, when there was much less awareness of the way these pedos work, so their "nice guy" routine wasn't called into question like it would be today.

Load Metric

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I watched Saved By the Bell a little. It was the right age for me, just wasn't my thing. I remember it was Saturday mornings, and if I was in front of a screen on a Saturday morning during those years I was playing console video games.

One episode I somehow remember because it was so unbelievable to me (even at age 12 or whatever age I was) was that they had the Jewish girl apologizing to the black girl because her family was supposedly slave owners at some point in the past. I didn't even know the actress was Jewish at the time, but I knew she didn't look like anyone that would have been the scion of some slave owning aristocrats. It definitely seemed bizarre to me they chose her over the other white girl for that part.

Load Metric
    California Governor Zack Morris (Mark-Paul Gosselaar) will find himself in trouble for closing too many low-income high schools and then propose that the affected students be sent to the highest-performing schools in the state — including Bayside High.
    Oh man.

Comments

OSA: LOL

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    I watched Saved By the Bell a little. It was the right age for me, just wasn't my thing. I remember it was Saturday mornings, and if I was in front of a screen on a Saturday morning during those years I was playing console video games.

One episode I somehow remember because it was so unbelievable to me (even at age 12 or whatever age I was) was that they had the Jewish girl apologizing to the black girl because her family was supposedly slave owners at some point in the past. I didn't even know the actress was Jewish at the time, but I knew she didn't look like anyone that would have been the scion of some slave owning aristocrats. It definitely seemed bizarre to me they chose her over the other white girl for that part.

Now, they should have the black kids apologizing to the Jewish kids for taking the train crosstown and robbing them as they come out of Yeshiva.

Load Metric
    Winner of the $555 freeroll

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Berkeley' flapping twat in showgirls was distressing.

Got to be a hotdog/hallway situation.

Load Metric

You got here before I was able to read this thread and post "OSA has dibs on 1990 Mark-Paul Gosselaar."

I pegged you.

So to speak.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post
    California Governor Zack Morris (Mark-Paul Gosselaar) will find himself in trouble for closing too many low-income high schools and then propose that the affected students be sent to the highest-performing schools in the state — including Bayside High.
    Oh man.
    I thought you made this up, but no, this is apparently a serious plot line.

Bad.

2020: When "Saved By The Bell" went political.

Load Metric
    Without Tiffany Amber Thiessen this is a fail.

Did this chick eat her way out of a part? I doubt it but my internet accsess is on borrowed time at Mcdonalds with this fcking virus going on.

Let me know

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by duped_samaritan View Post

Oh man.
    I thought you made this up, but no, this is apparently a serious plot line.

Bad.

2020: When "Saved By The Bell" went political.

The only thing that could save that would be if they went in the projects and Lark Voorhies was this female version of Frank Lucas and Dustin Diamond was her top dog.

Comments

badguy23: LOL this guy nos more then god mac and twinks rep

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by badguy23 View Post

Did this chick eat her way out of a part? I doubt it but my internet accsess is on borrowed time at Mcdonalds with this fcking virus going on.

Let me know
    Yes. She is kinda thick now. She was in a tv show called White Collar. She looks alot better here

Name:  TiffaniThiessen-519eb614-faef-4b45-b1a7-4422cd35dfcb.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  27.1 KB

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by badguy23 View Post

Let me know
    Yes. She is kinda thick now. She was in a tv show called White Collar. She looks alot better here

Name:  TiffaniThiessen-519eb614-faef-4b45-b1a7-4422cd35dfcb.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  27.1 KB
    Give me 2 of that with a side of Lobster Mac plz.

She had to turn down a part? Amirite

Thread Information