Thread: Alaska glacier collapse captured in slow motion -- and people panic-running from it

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Alaska glacier collapse captured in slow motion -- and people panic-running from it

Given the size of the glacier in front of them, I see why they were scared, even though it ended up not coming close to anyone.

If you ever do make it to Anchorage, I suggest you take glacier boat tour from either Seward or Whittier (you can drive to each place in about 90 minutes, from what I remember).

The boat will safely take you up to glaciers like this, and you'll get to watch it crash down like this. Pretty cool to see. You'll also see some wildlife, including a whale if you get lucky (I did at the end).

Only mistake I made was not dressing warmly enough. Anchorage was like 65 that day, and I dressed in a medium-heavy jacket (one that I wear on 30s-type nights in California) and brought a ski hat, but didn't bring gloves.

It's super cold because of the icy water and the wind of the boat moving. Had to keep going back inside to warm up. Next time I will dress in layers AND bring gloves. Otherwise a very nice experience though.

This Alaska trip -- taken in late July 2018 -- was what I thought would be my last trip ever. My severe anxiety/depression symptoms showed up just 2 weeks later, and I thought I would never be able to fly again. I ended up being fine to fly across the country in summer 2019 (after WSOP) for a New England and Canada trip. Now I wonder when I'll travel again due to this virus.

Comments

Jayjami: Global warming is fake news

Load Metric
    You see the person with the balls of steel taking the picture while everyone else was running?

We've been talking about an alaskan cruise for years now. Hopefully someday we will pull the trigger.

Thread Information